facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the second test?
India 15 50.00%
Pakistan 7 23.33%
Draw after five days of play 8 26.67%
Rain leading to draw 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26, 2007, 03:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Default India vs Pakistan 2nd test

Starts on 30th at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. The stadium officially accommodates 100,000 people creating an electric atmosphere. Even though its a test match, I expect good crowd given the enthusiasm the Bengalis have for Cricket.

India out played Pakistan completely in all departments and carry a huge psychological advantage apart from the 1-0 lead. The Kolkata test now becomes a do or die situation for Pakistan and an excellent opportunity of India to pocket the series and get the confidence they need for the Australia tour ahead.

This one will be an interesting match.

Old November 26, 2007, 07:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I think its going to be a draw. only a gut feelings.
But then again, i have absolutely no idea about the calcutta pitch.

if i had to pick a winner,
id put my money on india.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

So far the only real performers of pak showing a class of their own is shoaib akthar and misbah (somewhat)
Old November 26, 2007, 03:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Malik is injured.

I think Younis will captain the side in the 2nd Test.

Who is their back-up middle order batsman??
Old November 27, 2007, 01:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Malik is injured.

I think Younis will captain the side in the 2nd Test.

Who is their back-up middle order batsman??
The current 11 are struggling and you are asking about back up?
Old November 27, 2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

they are not struggling .. they are out of form ... otherwise Younis alone is sufficient to shut off India. Just wait and see. (always mind about the overall test and oneday record of both teams ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
The current 11 are struggling and you are asking about back up?
Old November 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
they are not struggling .. they are out of form ... otherwise Younis alone is sufficient to shut off India. Just wait and see. (always mind about the overall test and oneday record of both teams ).
On the contrary I believe that you need to ignore the past records. The result of a match depends on the current form and performance and not on past records. Pakistan's batsmen are struggling (lack of form could be the reason but they are struggling no doubt). Yunis alone can not shut any team in a test match. No batsman can win a test match all on his own (or even a one day for that matter).

Pakistan will have to improve their level of cricket even to think about a draw....leave alone a win. If they think like you do (yunis alone will shut India) then they are setting the stage for a 3-0 defeat.
Old November 27, 2007, 02:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

could you please tell me from when did this spineless Indian bowlers begin to take 20 wickets in a test match ? India is the team which won a test series outside subcontinent after nearly 20 years (that also during the era of Sachin Tendulkar).

anyway, I dont have time to start a debate with you. But I can assure you 3-0 is beyond India's ability. Time will say the rest.

period
Quote:
On the contrary I believe that you need to ignore the past records. The result of a match depends on the current form and performance and not on past records. Pakistan's batsmen are struggling (lack of form could be the reason but they are struggling no doubt). Yunis alone can not shut any team in a test match. No batsman can win a test match all on his own (or even a one day for that matter).

Pakistan will have to improve their level of cricket even to think about a draw....leave alone a win. If they think like you do (yunis alone will shut India) then they are setting the stage for a 3-0 defeat.

Last edited by sandpiper; November 27, 2007 at 02:14 AM..
Old November 27, 2007, 02:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
could you please tell me from when did this spineless Indian bowlers begin to take 20 wickets in a test match ? India is the team which won a test series outside subcontinent after nearly 20 years (that also during the era of Sachin Tendulkar).

anyway, I dont have time to start a debate with you. But I can assure you 3-0 is beyond India's ability. Time will say the rest.

period
Even if we have a debate, I wonder what will be the subject. I said that Pakistan's batsmen are struggling....which they are and that seemed to offend you (for reasons I can not understand) and now you are attacking India's bowlers.

So you say that Indian bowlers are spineless. Either you are right or you are wrong. So lets evaluate both possibilities separately.

If what you are saying is right and the Indians bowlers are spineless and are not at capable of taking 20 wickets in a test match then that proves that the Pakistani batsmen are really very bad. As they all fell to this spineless bowlers. Even your Yunis (who according to you is capable of shutting India alone) fell to these spineless bowlers twice. So either he is not capable or he is willfully playing bad. That proves that you are lying.....either about the Indian attack being spineless or about Pakistani batsmen (Yunis included) not struggling.

Second, if you are wrong and the Indian attack is not spineless.....nah, you cant be willfully giving a wrong statement, will you?

You are right. You better not start a debate with me. Because you are not debating right now. You are just frowning over a loss and hoping that your team would rip India apart to satisfy ego.
Old November 27, 2007, 04:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

India has won a few test wins this year, where these spineless bowlers must certainly have taken 20 wickets, by fluke of course.

And they have been accomplishing this fluke in almost every test against all opposition, if one cares to look at the scorecards of their tests. And it will be instructive to see how many Indian wickets their vanquished teams managed to take in the same matches with their strong backbone endowed bowlers.
Old November 27, 2007, 07:59 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
yeah... like the played against SA on their home turf....
Old November 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Shoaib in hospital with fever

Quote:
Shoaib Akhtar has been taken to hospital complaining of fatigue caused by a fever after Pakistan arrived in Kolkata ahead of the second Test against India which starts on Friday.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Yeah, I heard he went to Appolo in Kolkata. Now if Shoaib is also ruled out of the second test, Pakistan have some serious bowling problems to deal with.
Old November 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

cant wait till friday!!! the City of Joy is hosting a full match since 2 years, after a washed out game earlier this game. Cannot wait to see Dada at his home ground!! here's a bit of info on the Stadium of Eden Gardens.

Eden Gardens in Kolkata is the largest stadium in India and with a capacity of 100,000, one of the largest in the world. It is situated in the Kolkata Maidan, a vast Parkland, and is a short ten minute walk from the centre of the city. This walk goes through the tree-lined streets where the excitement of the crowd on match days needs to be seen to be belived. The fans' enthusiasm for the game is amazing and some good humoured banter can be heard when they spot a visiting supporter.

The Dr. B. C. Roy Clubhouse, a three tier building dominates the southern end of the ground, housing the players' dressing rooms, the VIP viewing gallery seating more than 3000 spectators and the press box on the top floor. The clubhouse also has a medical unit, a sports shop and a library. There is another two-tier stand at the southern end of the ground with a covered upper tier. The west side of the ground has a huge grandstand, again with a covered upper tier. The lower tier is shaded from early afternoon onwards. The northern end of the ground is totally uncovered, with massive stands exposed to the elements including a very hot sun, but the upper tiers of these stands provide a wonderful view. The two scoreboards, one a 1950s wooden version, the other modern and electronic are at this end. There is another large and mostly uncovered grandstand on the east side. Most of the seats are concrete and small but are not too uncomfortable. Food is served under the stands with rice, popcorn, soft drinks and water on offer. The toilet facilities are adequate and well serviced.

The Eden Gardens crowd is without doubt the most passionate in the world. When India are doing well the noise rsises to crescendo and the crowd is the happiest in the world. However, when their side lose a wicket, the silence is palpable for the next few overs. Even with 100,000 people in the ground one can clearly hear the opposition wicket keeper talking to his bowler. There have been times when trouble has broken out, a riot occured when a fan was beaten up by police in 1967 and there was crowd trouble after the poor peformances in the 96 world cup and the Asian Test Championship in 1999. WIn or lose the crowd will let visiting supporters know how it feels!!

A short extract from a book, called "Test Cricket Grounds". Lets just hope this match turns out to be a cracker!!
Old November 27, 2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I heard he went to Appolo in Kolkata. Now if Shoaib is also ruled out of the second test, Pakistan have some serious bowling problems to deal with.
Desperately want Shoaib to be fit and play and hopefully Gul will also be playing.
Indian Batsmen need some tough challenge before going to Australia.
Old November 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

Get Sami outta team now.
Old November 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif

Gul is fit. Shoaib Akhtar is also expected to play. Its Misbah who isnt doing fine now. With Pakistan Cricket, you hardly have a predictable day.
Old November 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasin
Gul is fit. Shoaib Akhtar is also expected to play. Its Misbah who isnt doing fine now. With Pakistan Cricket, you hardly have a predictable day.
Misbah missing will be a blow to their batting line up. They need some in-form batsmen. Again their hopes will be pinned on the two 'Y's.

As far as bowling is concerned, I think they did a decent job in the last match. May be spin needs a little more boost but pace is cool.
Old November 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Should they play or should they go home instead?

Pakistan is no match to Indian team.

India managed to blend very well the new players with old players and still managed to field a stong team.

Where as Pakistan is a typical strugling rebuiling team where still remaining older players are failing to stabilize the team ... and the newer players are obviously failing to perform consistently. I think its still an early stage of their rebuiling process and the team will continue to struggle a while before it again becomes a strong team.
Old November 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Should they play or should they go home instead?

Pakistan is no match to Indian team.

India managed to blend very well the new players with old players and still managed to field a stong team.
Fazal Mamu,

I think you are being too harsh (though i liked what you said ).

The difference between the two sides is more like 55-45 and any individual performance for one session (batsman or bowler) can very easily plug and surpass that gap or reduce it to a meaningless analysis.

I hope India team stays focussed since Pakistan team needs no inspiration to hit back, especially when it comes to playing India in India.
Old November 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

This is going to be a 3-0 thrashing - a dull and boring affair, not fit to be a India-Pakistan series..
Old November 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif

Quote:
Misbah missing will be a blow to their batting line up. They need some in-form batsmen. Again their hopes will be pinned on the two 'Y's.

As far as bowling is concerned, I think they did a decent job in the last match. May be spin needs a little more boost but pace is cool.
Shoaib Malik injured. Not sure if Akhter will be the starting 11. Misbah probably doing fine. Yasir Arafat brought on as replacement for Umar Gul. The soap continues as usual.
Old November 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

With his current form in TEST, Shoeb Malik's injury may turn out to be a net gain for PAK. Younis can pick up the captaincy part very well. Another genuine batsman can give more runs than what Shoeb is giving now a days in TEST matches. His bolwing is no good for test matches.
Old November 29, 2007, 05:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
With his current form in TEST, Shoeb Malik's injury may turn out to be a net gain for PAK. Younis can pick up the captaincy part very well. Another genuine batsman can give more runs than what Shoeb is giving now a days in TEST matches. His bolwing is no good for test matches.
Actually, i am worried about Shoaib's injury. I am more worried about a new player joining ranks than Pakistan's 'tried & tested'.

Hope Shoaib (both of them) and Umar gul recover in time. Their bolwing/batting is atleast known and doesn't come as a surprise package.
Old November 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Actually, i am worried about Shoaib's injury. I am more worried about a new player joining ranks than Pakistan's 'tried & tested'.
Pagla Bhai,

I thought I was saying the same thing (except that I am not worried as you are). No?