facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Not sure what you are talking about. The way one can regularly interact with educated shuddho Bengali-speaking people in either Dhaka (or Calcutta) cannot be emulated anywhere else in the world. The kind of real life opportunities one gets in these two cities to get thoroughly acquainted with Shuddho Bangla cannot be seen anywhere else.

For example, in Dhaka, Moshin can just go to Bishshwo Shahityo Kendro regularly for a few months and voila! He will definitely come out as a person speaking shudhdho Bengali. Of course, there is a big chance he will come out as a typical kendro atel as well, but let's ignore that for now.
Well, our friend Mohsin can go to SOAS too and become very proficient in the art of articulation of Bangla! Do you agree?

BTW, educated people doesn't only resides in Dhaka or Kolikata (in case, nobody has informed you that)!
Old December 11, 2007, 05:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshin_31
Who is Syed Mujtaba Ali???
he is perhaps best known as being al-Furqaan's great grand-uncle
I drop knowledge so heavy it leaves the world unbalanced, exterminating the spiritual force of all that challenge, I'm the lyrical apocalypse that crumbles the granite, replacing you as the dominant species on the planet.
Old December 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
yes, except that he passed away much before you or I were even born. Currently all his progeny do a fine job of keeping in touch via email and flooding my inbox.
haha...i'm guessing that you are a member of the "ishti gushti" yahoo group...i sometimes browse that using my mom's user ID. i would love to join myself, but seeing as how i know almost no one (and i doubt they know me, except by name) i feel rather akward. i thought about creating an ishti gushti group on facebook, but felt somewhat shy of doing it.
I drop knowledge so heavy it leaves the world unbalanced, exterminating the spiritual force of all that challenge, I'm the lyrical apocalypse that crumbles the granite, replacing you as the dominant species on the planet.
Old December 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
BC Editorial Team

Damn, am I the only one who is archaic enough to believe reading makes your language strong? I mean take my ability with English. Not to toot my own horn, I think do pretty well in this - a foreign language. And yet I grew up mostly in Dhaka, barring four years when I was a small kid (age 4-8). To borrow from Arnab's logic, this deprived me greatly of the opportunity to "listen" to educated English conversation (you only had to listen to some of my ইংরেজি teachers to know this). What sustained my growth in this language, increased my proficiency, etc was nothing more than a British Council library card and a voracious appetite for reading. The beauty of reading is that you don't need anyone else for sustenance. Nowadays with the Internet you don't even need an elder to ask what some new term or phrase means.

Mohsin I'm telling you man - get reading!

And Ammark and Al - I had no idea that I was in the company of such great genes. Syed Mujtaba Ali is one of my favorite humor writers - up there with P.G. Wodehouse.
Old December 11, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Advice is like Flood Water. When it comes, its comes in bunches ....more than you can handle... and both are free.
Old December 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antora93
well Moshin bhaiya, this is a place to get started if you wanna learn shudho bangla! its in banglish so you should be able to read it
http://www.languageshome.com/English-Bengali.htm

Oi websitey MOSQUE er transaltion Mandir. Enough said!
Old December 11, 2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
yeah i know how to read and write bengali,
but to speak or understand it is very difficult
its like another language
people here in the UK see 'dhakaya' people as a
different background and see them as 'posh people'
no offense, but true. (respond.
You still don't get it.
Bangla is the national language , which each Bangladeshi can speak. Each District also has it's own local language. If you are from that district, you can also speak that Language.

e.g. A person from Punjab can speak both Hindi and Punjabi. A person from West Bengal can speak both Hindi and Bengali.
Old December 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
haha, that will not work for sure,
the dhakaya people I know, never speak a word of Bangla over here,
they only speak English, i fink they are ashamed of it or somthin (!)
if any of them do speak dhakaya, then they will ruin thier
reputation, that's how it is i fink, yeah, anyway thanks 4 the advice.
You need to get out more.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ

And Ammark and Al - I had no idea that I was in the company of such great genes. Syed Mujtaba Ali is one of my favorite humor writers - up there with P.G. Wodehouse.
nor did i to tell you the truth...i guess you know now why i'm such a great poster

i knew from a ways back that he was a writer and stuff, and had been told he was well known, but i thought that was just in the family or something.

i was actually quite stunned to see his name appear in your post couple of days ago - if you scroll back to page 1 you will see that i wasn't quite sure if, in fact, it was the same Syed Mujtaba Ali. this is why i asked ammark if it was our SM Ali (Ammar's grandmother is my great-grandmother, from both of our maternal sides which i think means we should have identical mitochondrial DNA, yayyy!!!). i was fairly surprised to see that you had heard of him, as well as cricket_dorshok (i think) who let me know that SM Ali has a wikipedia page.

i just posted that wikipedia page on my facebook profile, prompting my little sister to ask how i came upon that site. and i told her it was thru BC.

what a world, eh?
Old December 11, 2007, 10:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
Oi websitey MOSQUE er transaltion Mandir. Enough said!
oh

Last edited by Antora; December 12, 2007 at 01:32 AM..
Old December 12, 2007, 02:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Well, our friend Mohsin can go to SOAS too and become very proficient in the art of articulation of Bangla! Do you agree?
Not entirely. It will be like দুধের স্বাদ ঘোলে মেটানো. SOAS is not exactly a natural place where Bengali people from all ages and profession talk about their daily affairs and other cultural issues in shuddho bangla. The teaching Moshin will get will be artificial.

Quote:
BTW, educated people doesn't only resides in Dhaka or Kolikata (in case, nobody has informed you that)!
I think you have unintentionally misread my post. Go back and read it again, this time with the emphasis on the "regular" part.
Old December 12, 2007, 03:18 AM

I improved my Bangla vocabulary a lot over the past 4 years by just watching the news on Channel i, NTV, ATN Bangla. Then there's Tritio Matra, Ekushey'r Shomoy, and other shows with talking heads. I genuinely find interest in their content, so improving Bangla comprehension just came about from watching these people.

Quote:
Who is Syed Mujtaba Ali???
Since wikipedia links have been posted, I will expect you to do some more google searching and read up about him. He was a literary critic and prolific writer who did much to change the way we use Bangla. Rabindranath once remarked about him "Mujtaba Ali Bangla Jaane".

What I want to point out is that he was Sylheti.... before any new 2nd generation Sylheti solicitors start showing up, bitching about Bangla and alienating themselves from anything non-Sylheti in Bangladesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i knew from a ways back that he was a writer and stuff, and had been told he was well known, but i thought that was just in the family or something.

i was actually quite stunned to see his name appear in your post couple of days ago - if you scroll back to page 1 you will see that i wasn't quite sure if, in fact, it was the same Syed Mujtaba Ali. this is why i asked ammark if it was our SM Ali...
A clarification needs to be made... Syed Mujtaba Ali is known by his full name (Huru Mama to your grandmother and my mother), but SM Ali commonly refers to his nephew Syed Mohammed Ali (Khasru Mama/Nana) who was the founder editor of The Daily Star and a very prolific journalist of Bangladesh.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
I hate speaking khati shuddo bangla. No fun in talking like.. Ami Kheyechilam, Koriyachilam, Cholitechi, Moritechi or so. Its fun talking like this... Ami khaisilam, Korchilam, Choltechi, Mortechi...
We see Dhakaya as posh, and Sylheti slang
Is that the way you guys see it in your prespective??
Old December 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
You need to get out more.
sorry just speaking what everbody thinks of it
Old December 12, 2007, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
he is perhaps best known as being al-Furqaan's great grand-uncle
so...that means he's famous isnt it???
Old December 12, 2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
We see Dhakaya as posh, and Sylheti slang
Is that the way you guys see it in your prespective??
Well if you want to analogise, then Sylheti would be sth like Glaswegian (the Dialect of Glasgow) and Standard Bangla as BBC English.

Dhakaiya is a separate dialect (?) of Bangla... which would be akin to East London Cockney.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

The problem with Bangla is that, barely any Bangladeshi speaks the language properly.

The regions we're talking about, they've adopted the language in their own way, and this has happened over hundreds of years. But the thing that surprises all is, even though everyone speaks differently, they all write shudho bangla. Speaking shudho bangla was the case until recently in natoks, but this is changing to bring these natoks to life I guess.

The ONLY other way of learning shudho Bangla, according to my understanding, is by watching Bangladeshi channels. Most importantly, watch Bangla news channels. They're available online, and can be accessed by anybody.

Arnab: I understand your argument. But guiding this boy to learn procholito Bangla ahead of his GCSE exams can be a bit of a disaster...he can't write "korsi khaisi ghumaisi" in his exam.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
To improve your speaking of shuddho Bangla, you need to live in Dhaka (or Calcutta), where you can regularly interact with the educated Bengali speaking people. I don't think this is possible in a foreign country.
And might I ask, why one can't regularly interact with the "educated" Bangla speaking people in -say- Kushtia, Khulna, Sylhet or Chittagong?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I agree with you but the standard bengali is spoken in dhaka. other parts of bangaldesh has different dialects which are not standard.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Mohsin,

Make BabuBangla your Guru. Try to read his square-box posts. I am sure you'll be talking-walking-laughing Bangla in no time.
Mohsin,

Thats a good idea. And if babuBangla is not available, then make DJ your next target. He knows Bangla a bit.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

yeh, some1 phoned somewhere in Sylhet,
and a girl was speaking shuddo Bangla,
we thought it might be from Dhaka or somewhere,
but the girl was shikki, so anyone from anywhere
in Bangladesh can learn Dhakaya, not just in Dhaka or Kolkata.
... maybe I should come and live in Dhaka, rather than in London,
living in Bangladesh must be so relaxing and fun??!
Old December 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisa
I agree with you but the standard bengali is spoken in dhaka. other parts of bangaldesh has different dialects which are not standard.
I think you're mistaken. Standard Bangla is spoken all over Bangladesh at an official or formal context. Dhaka has its own dialect- Dhakayya. It is in the north of Bangladesh (Kushtia/Joshuhor) that standard Bangla is more widely spoken.
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Yea living in Bangladesh is so relaxing and fun, you will live like a king and ride on an elephant...

Hati mera Shati.
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Yes, you should. It's more than relaxing and fun. I miss it so very much.
Old December 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

what????????? ur totally wrong!!!!!!!!!! dhaka people speaks standard bangla. in sylhett people speaks sylhetti bengali. in chattagong people speaks chittagorian bengali. but dhaka people speaks the country's national standard bengali.