facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 24, 2007, 04:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default BanglaCricket Preview 1: Bangladesh in New Zealand, 2007 - Bangladesh must rise to the occasion

Bangladesh in New Zealand: Preview - Bangladesh must rise to the occasion
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman
After Bangladesh's giant killing act in the recent World Cup, most cricket pundits thought that the youthful Bangladesh side is finally coming of age and will soon be a significant force in world cricket. On the contrary, Bangladesh decided to prove the pundits wrong with some awful and woeful performances since then. Bangladesh’s performance against India at home and in the away series against Sri Lanka once again provided much negative fodder for the critics.
Read article »

Quote:
Bangladesh desperately need a positive series under the new leadership of Mohammad Ashraful and Coach Jamie Siddons to start afresh and bring about an end to the dipping performance graph. In this context, a series against New Zealand, who too are experiencing striking similarities with Bangladesh in terms of recent performances, could not have been scheduled at a more appropriate time. New Zealand cricket is going through an extended lean patch and their recent management transformation hasn’t done any better to lift the struggling Black Caps.
Read full
Old December 24, 2007, 04:45 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good read Miraz bhai.

...not to mention, thanks, for your continous good work.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 24, 2007, 04:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

It was very good to read

I think Sajidul has a lot potential than Nazmul and he would be effective in place of Rasel.
Old December 24, 2007, 07:40 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Thanks Rabz and taklima_naj.

An interesting New preview from AFP

Quote:
New Zealand on final warning against Bangladesh

7 hours ago
AUCKLAND (AFP) — New Zealand's cricketers have been told to shape up or face the axe in the one-day series against Bangladesh which starts on Wednesday as they look to recover from a torrid past nine weeks.
New Zealand have never lost a one-day international to Bangladesh in eight encounters.
But such has been their wretched form in New Zealand's recent back-to-back tours to South Africa and Australia that they cannot look towards this three-match series against the reputed easybeats with confidence.
With the batsmen out of sorts and the bowlers unable to find a line, captain Daniel Vettori has called for a complete form turnaround against Bangladesh before England arrive early next year.
"The pressure's on us to win now," said Vettori, reflecting on the 1-2 ODI loss and 0-2 Test drubbing in South Africa followed by the 0-2 defeat in Australia.
"We have to win comfortably leading into a tough England series. There's not more pressure than playing Australia but there's a lot of pressure on guys to actually step up and perform."
Former New Zealand great and now national selector Sir Richard Hadlee told a Sunday newspaper there was a clear need for all-round improvement.
"Clearly, we've been disappointed by a number of the performances in the one-dayers and a number of those guys are a part of the Test set-up, so we need to see some improvement in both the batting and bowling," Hadlee said.
"They've got a couple of games to really impress."
But when given a chance to impress when playing under the guise of a New Zealand XI against Bangladesh in a Twenty20 match on Sunday, the Kiwis again capitulated.
With their confidence gone, the batsmen struggled to 133 for seven which Bangladesh easily overhauled with three overs and four wickets in hand.
Discarded international James Marshall top-scored with an unbeaten 33, while the best of the incumbent internationals was Scott Styris who made 29.
All of the New Zealand wickets fell to bowlers, with Bangladesh paceman Shahadat Hossain taking an impressive three for 15 off four overs.
In contrast, when Bangladesh launched their energetic run chase three of their dismissals were run outs.
Read full
Old December 24, 2007, 01:39 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

It's interesting that Cricinfo doesn't even have a single preview of the series and the ODI's are starting from tomorrow!!
Old December 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Nice article Miraz bhai
Old December 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
It's interesting that Cricinfo doesn't even have a single preview of the series and the ODI's are starting from tomorrow!!
All the focus and coverage is on the India/Australia series. What surprises me is that the WI/SA series seems to be getting a lot more attention than us. I'm pretty sure we have more fans and supporters than for those two teams combined. I also don't understand why Sky Sports would show the test match between WI and SA, and not our ODI matches.
Old December 24, 2007, 04:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvaskaves
All the focus and coverage is on the India/Australia series. What surprises me is that the WI/SA series seems to be getting a lot more attention than us. I'm pretty sure we have more fans and supporters than for those two teams combined. I also don't understand why Sky Sports would show the test match between WI and SA, and not our ODI matches.
Cause They are still in denial. Refusing to accept "the new World Order"

(of cricket obviously)
Old December 24, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Nice article Miraz bhai, as usual. Siddons interview with Utpal Shuvro (Prothom-alo)
http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news...zQ3Nzg=&mid=OA==
Old December 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasimul
Nice article Miraz bhai, as usual. Siddons interview with Utpal Shuvro (Prothom-alo)
http://www.prothom-alo.com/mcat.news...zQ3Nzg=&mid=OA==
Liked some of his answers, but in some cases he appeared a bit overcautious.

Anyway I will be happy if we can have a couple of batsmen with 45 average in Test cricket.

Thanks for sharing.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

A interesting read from Stuff.co.nz

New Zealand require a 3-0 series clean sweep over Bangladesh to maintain their placing at No 3 in the world one-day cricket rankings.
New Zealand enter the series, starting in Auckland tomorrow, after suffering successive series defeats to South Africa and Australia.
They must now beat Bangladesh 3-0 to maintain their place in the International Cricket Council one-day championship standings.
Even if New Zealand win the series 2-1, they will slip behind India into fourth because that result will cost them three ratings points.
A series loss will send New Zealand sliding to seventh place behind India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and England.
If New Zealand suffer a 1-2 defeat, they will be left on 105 ratings points, just five points ahead of eighth-placed West Indies, while a 0-3 loss will cost them 10 ratings points.
In contrast, Bangladesh will lose only one ratings point if New Zealand win 3-0.
However, they will gain six ratings points if they win 2-1 and nine ratings points if they win all the three games.
Present rankings: Australia 130 ratings points 1, South Africa 124 2, New Zealand 112 3, India 110 4, Sri Lanka 108 5, Pakistan 107 6, England 107 7, West Indies 100 8, Bangladesh 48 9, Ireland 28 10, Zimbabwe 19 11, Kenya 0 12.
- NZPA

Link
Old December 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashraful

The first match is the key. If we can somehow win the first ODI, our confidence will be at an all time high, while they will be at an all time low. Everyone knows the importance of the mental aspect of this game. I hope we can somehow win the ODI series and get the six points. The nine points would be dream come true. By the way, has anybody looked at our ODI schedule for the year and figured when is the earliest possible time we can catch the West Indies.
Old December 25, 2007, 12:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Miraz shaheb,
......"Many cricket followers believe a young Tamim or Zunaed can do a lot better than the experienced but ever failing Javed Omar and flamboyant Aftab deserves a spot ahead of the waning Habibul Bashar."

Javed Omar Vs Tamim Iqbal:
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50
59 1312 85* 23.85 0 10
18 349 54 19.38 0 2

I just cant agree with your opinion about Tamim. Except for two great innings in recent past he is highly inconsistent even in Under 19 level, reference his recent tour of Pakistan with U19. If JO is termed as "ever failing" then what do you call TI?
Old December 25, 2007, 12:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Liked some of his answers, but in some cases he appeared a bit overcautious.
I didn't see anything over-cautious in his responses. I think he was very objective (may be even brutally honest) and professional. He knows that he has a challenge in his hands and he has sized it up to the extent possible in a few weeks.

Obviously he is serious in evaluating our cricketers from an Aussie perspective. No doubt that we have some very talented and brave youngsters, but I agree with his evaluation that we do not have any world-class player. Rather we are a long way off. We, fans and press alike, tend to get carried away in our expectations.

I will happily take this no-BS straight talk rather than Whatmore brand of putu-putu express.

Old December 25, 2007, 04:13 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
Miraz shaheb,
......"Many cricket followers believe a young Tamim or Zunaed can do a lot better than the experienced but ever failing Javed Omar and flamboyant Aftab deserves a spot ahead of the waning Habibul Bashar."

Javed Omar Vs Tamim Iqbal:
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50
59 1312 85* 23.85 0 10
18 349 54 19.38 0 2

I just cant agree with your opinion about Tamim. Except for two great innings in recent past he is highly inconsistent even in Under 19 level, reference his recent tour of Pakistan with U19. If JO is termed as "ever failing" then what do you call TI?
Zia shaheb, I respect your opinion, but I am sure majority of BC members will disagree with you.

If you don't believe me, please ask spitty.
Old December 25, 2007, 04:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

if we want to win the next matches we play, the opening partnership is vital to our success... but in addition a couple of great partnerships would do as well to follow up a contending total if we bat first, that's how i see we can rise to the occasion.
Old December 25, 2007, 05:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Zia Shaheb,
I agree with you. But how many great innings JO played in his entire career. The answer zero. Tamim in his short career already played one match winning innings and that is also in world cup. BTW I am not a Tamim fan. Check my other posts.
Old December 25, 2007, 06:04 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
After Bangladesh's giant killing act in the recent World Cup, most cricket pundits thought that the youthful Bangladesh side is finally coming of age and will soon be a significant force in world cricket.

A Nice read Mr. Editor.

I have a doubt: Is the grammar of the first sentence correct? I am feeling that something is wrong in tense agreement. Or may be I am wrong.
Old December 25, 2007, 07:34 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Finally a cricinfo preview for the first ODI,

New Zealand v Bangladesh, 1st ODI, Auckland
New Zealand seek a quick revival
Cricinfo staff
December 25, 2007

Under pressure captain Daniel Vettori expects more out of his batsmen © Getty Images

On paper, New Zealand would begin the three-match one-day series starting tomorrow in Auckland as overwhelming favourites, given the home conditions and the hunger to reverse a shoddy away season against South Africa and Australia. Their opposition, Bangladesh, may be far from threatening, but the picture doesn't look as rosy as they would have liked and one false move could spell further embarrassment for the home side.
New Zealand's batting has been an obvious struggle, particularly in South Africa, where they failed to cross 188 in the two-Test series, and had no answer to the pace and swing of Dale Steyn. Shaun Tait compounded their woes during the Chappell-Hadlee series in Australia, and the absence of a collective effort in the batting was primarily responsible for ending their twin tours with just a solitary win in seven international games.
Captain Daniel Vettori recognised the need for his batsmen to step up and help build enough confidence ahead of England's visit in February. However, the players may not have the luxury of time to find much-needed form, after selection chairman Richard Hadlee announced that the Test squad against Bangladesh will be announced after the second one-dayer. While Hadlee didn't single out any players, he hinted that the top performers at the domestic season could be in for call-ups sooner rather than later.
"I'm not prepared to single out a player," Hadlee told the New Zealand Herald. "If we need to reward players at domestic level at the expense of the incumbent players, then that's the professional environment. We want some results and we have to find methods of getting results."
The return of Peter Fulton - one of their most consistent players last season - from a knee injury should come as a boost, though he failed in the Twenty20 charity match against the Bangladeshis on Sunday, scoring 3. Returning after a lay-off since the World Cup semi-final against Sri Lanka, Fulton has been in good touch for Canterbury, scoring a hundred and two fifties. He is likely to bat at No. 3, with Jamie How and the in-form Brendon McCullum set to open.

Read full from Cricinfo
Old December 25, 2007, 11:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Zia Shaheb,
I agree with you. But how many great innings JO played in his entire career. The answer zero. Tamim in his short career already played one match winning innings and that is also in world cup. BTW I am not a Tamim fan. Check my other posts.
We are looking for consistency here. Can you rely on Tamim for that matter? After his 104 against Auckland just think of the innings he played in 20/20. Remember, his 104 could not save the match. Cricket is a team effort like any other game. I don't undermine his innings which lead us to victory. But the million dollar question is: Is Tamim consistent? The answer is NO. Just check his performance with U19 in Pakistan! Look at the stats of JO and TI. TI played lesser number of games and his average is lower than JO. Shouldn't it be other way around?
Old December 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Zia shaheb, I respect your opinion, but I am sure majority of BC members will disagree with you.

If you don't believe me, please ask spitty.
Spitty told me that how come selectors like JO when majority doesn't (according to you)!!!! Remember, we got new selectors now.
Old December 25, 2007, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
We are looking for consistency here. Can you rely on Tamim for that matter? After his 104 against Auckland just think of the innings he played in 20/20. Remember, his 104 could not save the match. Cricket is a team effort like any other game. I don't undermine his innings which lead us to victory. But the million dollar question is: Is Tamim consistent? The answer is NO. Just check his performance with U19 in Pakistan! Look at the stats of JO and TI. TI played lesser number of games and his average is lower than JO. Shouldn't it be other way around?
All hail JO! The bestest Bangladeshi ever to hold a cricket bat, who's Bradmanesque average should be untouchable by other lesser BD players in decades to come.