facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 7, 2008, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default Is Jamie Siddons killing Aftab?

A lot of positives have been floating around on Jamie Siddons and they are mostly true and deserving of a man who was brave enough to take the most challenging job. He is definitely a good coach with the right frame of mind at the stage BD cricket is in right now, he is also a good batsman who knows the importance of occupying the crease for the long haul, but my question is, is he killing Aftab? I know it may be too early to discuss this but for the sake of prediction lets take a crack at it.

Here, I am not going to discuss Aftab's test batting because I don’t think he’s ready for it or even has the proper temperament. But looking at his one day scorecard in this NZ series one cannot help but wonder, what's going on. He scored 8 runs in 11 balls in the first match and then a very patient 54 in 78 balls on a loosing battle and another uncomfortable 19 runs on the 3rd match, but, apart from the first match where his usual fluent self was on display, the manner in which he batted in the latter matches, it is heartening to see that one of the most stroke full players of Bangladesh was loosing his way. I know we are always on the verge of loosing any match we play, but what happened in the end in those matches were tame end without having to raise hope for even a single over while he was there.

I think he is a sort of player who should always be one down and given the license to go and play his shots without giving too much thought of the situation, otherwise he might as well not be included. He is a player who can change the complexion of the game with his dazzling shot making, even if in the end it does not pay off but the positives he brings could motivate the team mates. The status we are in, a little glimmer of hope at any stage of the game could do wonder.

With all this in mind, one (in this case it’s me) might wonder, is JS asking him to curb his shots so he stays longer in the crease and score a patient 50? If he is and if Aftab can pull it off and go onto making a 100 that would be awesome, but if he cannot then the question is, will he wither away?
Old January 7, 2008, 12:20 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

How can anyone kill a dead man?
Old January 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
How can anyone kill a dead man?
Thanks for being so morbid, you just killed the thread sis.
Old January 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

An international player should be able to grab opportunities which are hard to come by. Compare the performance of Matthew Bell with Aftab, you will get the answer. Who is killing whom!!
Old January 7, 2008, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Aftab will be back. Some players go through a phase in their career when they need to adjust and with JS's proper guidance, he should be back. He is way too talented to get lost from the side. We need to be patient though.
Old January 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
An international player should be able to grab opportunities which are hard to come by. Compare the performance of Matthew Bell with Aftab, you will get the answer. Who is killing whom!!
In the context of grabbing opportunity, you could be correct, but when it comes to the role these 2 players play in their respective teams, I am afraid you are not. These are 2 different types of players where one is playing for a team that's well established and chances are hard to come by, where as, the other is trying to find his feet in a team that's still cannot stand on its ground.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I honestly feel that there is something going on between Aftab and Siddons. Aftab is a natural ODI player who comes in at NO3 and play his natural game. He is one of the best in the BD side with his fearless batting and great fielding. I think that JS is tinkering with his style too much.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:06 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Are we talking about the same aftab, who's talent is second only to the great Mohammed "sachin" Ashraful, who could read any spinners as Paris hilton would read the "Beginning of Time" and who would never dare to produce a grounded drive as that would make him an ordinary player? Ofcourse Jamie Siddons is killing his career, I mean who else can we blame for such a talented player?
Old January 7, 2008, 01:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib; Tamim; Riyad

To me he just looked like he was uncomfortable the whole time in this series. He never looked like he was there to stay. The 50 he scored was extremely shaky too. It never looked like he was going to get there. I hope the guy finds his shots rite, its the only way. It is not about slow or fast for him, but about shot selection. Knowing when to hit and when not to hit, because as far as ive seen his game, its either about hit every single ball, or dont hit any, just block.

I even remember some of those days when he used to miss two in a row, and me and my friends would bet that the next one he would either hit or get out. And most of the time it was either or the other. (not literally, but you get my point)

Any ways, I do think that JS is directing him correctly, because if he would go for every ball, he would definitely make a big score once in a lifetime which would be beacuse of his talent, but most of the time he would have been a failure. Hope things take a turn now.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib; Tamim; Riyad

Btw tonoy, were you part of the rallly in Danforth after the world cup wins? haha. Just curious...
Old January 7, 2008, 01:17 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
Btw tonoy, were you part of the rallly in Danforth after the world cup wins? haha. Just curious...
There was a rally? Aww, I missed it. Were you in it?
Old January 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

What is a coach's job?
Assign duties to the players. Now if he hadn't already done that then yes he is to be blamed. But I think he has done that already.

What is a player's job?
To do the roll that was assigned to him to the best of his ability. If that is being done then doesn't matter what his scoreline is. (like Sree's job is to instigate the Aussies, and he did his job perfectly, Ponting's job is complain and make sure his nemesis is no longer in the line up and he did that perfectly too)

What must Siddons do?
To get that talent (read Tonoy's post) and adjust his role so that maximum output can be achieved. So give him some time and see how revives pet mota Aftab in SA series.

As for killing comment, suicidal can not be blamed on someone else.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; January 7, 2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old January 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

No, Aftab is killing himself.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

In what certain why is Siddons killing his career? He's just killing himself thats all.. he's confused at the moment, im sure he will be back later hopefully.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Is Jamie Siddons killing Aftab? No. An emphatic no. If anything, he is trying to revive his test career after spending two years in the wilderness.

In the ODI series, specifically the game in question, the labored 54 that he scored, was the type of innings that was needed by any batsmen with half the side already in the dressing room while chasing an untenable score. What was he supposed to do in that situation? Crash, bang and wallop? Had he done that, a lot of us would have come down hard on him . He was moved from no.3, remember?

He was removed from no.3 from ODI's to save him from himself. He is too good of a player to have the mindset of a glorified pinch hitter. He, no doubt, had relative success in that spot, but to me, to get the most out of him, we had to move him from no.3. I would actually urge that promoting him to no.3 in ODI's has done a lot of damage to his batting. The Carte Blanche given to him actually made him forget how to properly bat with responsibility. I say it, because I have seen him bat with patience but with authority when he came into the scene. His debut series against India is one example of that. His test/ODI batting against England in 2004 was another. The tide turned, when he was promoted to no.3 for the first time against Zimbabwe in a ODI at Dhaka, where Rafiq also opened. Those two chased down the 180ish score in 22 overs or something. Unfortunately, he fell in love to much with that style and never re-adjusted his game. Another reason behind his promotion to no.3 was our inability to get any meaningful opening combo that was consistent. Too often, he was called in early duty to smack a few boundaries after the fall of the first wkt, and he duely obliged by going over the top of the infield ( PP field ). That bad habit of going in the air, too often, is still hurting him.

We have a good pair of opener now and hopefully, they will give us solid starts in years to come in both versions of the game. I do not see the necessity of bringing Aftab at no.3 in ODI's. He will serve us better at no.5 or no.6. He can rotate and can add necessary power in the lower middle order, something we are missing right now. In tests, I have seen enough of Bashar at no.3 and will replace him with Aftab, so he can play his natural attacking game ( not one day style air attack ) without thinking too much of stopping a collapse, something he is doing right now coming at no.6. He must improve his play against spinners. I won't put too much stock on the pair that he bagged last game. Let him re-discover his style ( pre Zim game ) and we will be better for it. Jamie Siddons will let him to that.
Old January 7, 2008, 03:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Are we talking about the same aftab, who's talent is second only to the great Mohammed "sachin" Ashraful, who could read any spinners as Paris hilton would read the "Beginning of Time" and who would never dare to produce a grounded drive as that would make him an ordinary player? Ofcourse Jamie Siddons is killing his career, I mean who else can we blame for such a talented player?
aftab isnt really good against spin
Old January 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

so we let AFTAB fix his problem in the NTL team beamer Bhai? i disagree with that. If there was no better player to replace him i would understand that(lets say if it happen to ash) but he didn't fix his game last time he was dropped (he didn't do that well in NCL).

I agree he should be in the finall 20 so that coach can work on him but letting him play like this match after match will only destroy him and will make a hate fan club like tusher and kapali has. He is much more important for bangladesh than those two.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught

Last edited by akabir77; January 7, 2008 at 05:49 PM..
Old January 7, 2008, 05:36 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1974
What is the point of having classy batsman when we know he is going to give it away after facing only handful of balls. He must learn how to pace his innings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheous
Man I Admire your Depth of Cricket Knowledge...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
ABC
Of
ODI
Cricket

A wonderful book to know the importance of Aftab in ODi team.
Quote:
Dumb thread.

Aftab has got the highest average among Bangladesh top order batsmen barring Sakib.

He is a match winner and that's proven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
why do we demand to drop some one from the team after each series?
can't we wait two three series and then demand some ones head?
if we start dropping people after each series then we will have only the coach and coaching stuff to play cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
After reading the title of this thread, I knew I shouldn't waste my time in it. So didn't even bother checking all this time.

Anyway, akabir's post is the only one I read, just coz it's above this box I'm typing my post into. And from what I can see, I agree with him completely. Problem is, we expect every member of the team to perform in every series. Guys, we're not Australia for God's sake.
When I first joined BC Forum about 8 months ago I opened a thread to drop Aftab from Indian series. And got a load of rollocking from top BC poster. I am sorry I have brought this up again could not help it after noticing this thread. I would like to remind some of you he has not changed a bit...well he tried in first innings for 25 balls duck. I do not know what to say about him, because like most of you I understand no one in BD can hit the ball as sweetly like Aftab and thats about it. I hope Aftab learns from his past and present mistakes. I want to see Mr Siddons helps him to become more responsible batsmen for Bangladesh. But I will drop him for next series so he can work on his mistakes
Old January 7, 2008, 05:48 PM
Cricket Guru

that's why you need to wait. you opened a thread when he just started so i don't see your point of quoting me!
Old January 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
that's why you need to wait. you opened a thread when he just started so i don't see your point of quoting me!
Quote:
why do we demand to drop some one from the team after each series?
can't we wait two three series and then demand some ones head?
Well this series the third series since that thread akabir77 bhai. So Can we demand for his head?
Old January 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

তিন লাখ ডলার দিয়া কি খুনি ভাড়া করলাম ণাকি? খুনিই ত, because he is supposed to teach our boys how to kill other teams in the game of cricket.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i'd echo sadi's and beamer's comments...aftab will come through simply because he's too talented not to. hopefully his transition will be smoother than ash's.

JS is the man to do it.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Jar Noye hoy na,, tar Nobboi te hobey? Boom Boom Aftab could be Adu Aftab bhai?

Watmore was right in saying that Aftab is too talented to be kept out of the test series but Aftab himself will have to work out his temperment before he gets in. Yes, he is a match winner, he can rock any major bowler,,, but only for couple of overs not for an entire day because his right tri-cep is tired hitting all the leg side slog shots by the 5th over (if he lasts that long).

Self destructive act is not acceptable in national team. Aftab has a little rope left.
Old January 7, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1974
Well this series the third series since that thread akabir77 bhai. So Can we demand for his head?
what do you think? don't think the thread after first series or the game was too early?
Old January 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I second that. National team is not a charity, one has to earn his place by solid performance. Rajin should come in place of him.