facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 24, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cricket Sage

but still why dogs bite people?
Old June 24, 2009, 04:12 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

dogs dont...b..ches do.
Old June 24, 2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

How to massively increase your English vocabulary in 1.5 month?

I am going to take GRE, but like SAT, verbal section remains a problem. In SAT it was a meager 450, but in GRE i want to do better. There are a BASIC word list list of 3500 words in the book, and I approximately knows 1500 of them. My cup is not even half full

Any vocabulary stimulus plan folks?
Old June 24, 2009, 05:04 PM
Cricket Sage

[quote=BD-Shardul;892051]How to massively increase your English vocabulary in 1.5 month?

I am going to take GRE, but like SAT, verbal section remains a problem. In SAT it was a meager 450, but in GRE i want to do better. There are a BASIC word list list of 3500 words in the book, and I approximately knows 1500 of them. My cup is not even half full

Any vocabulary stimulus plan folks?[/quote]

Every day Pick 75 new words and use it in your messages in this board. That will force you to learn those words. After 20 days, repeat the same process.

if you have problem with topics, open a new thread about Ashraful and use those words. That is a safest bet now a days when opening new thread and not getting any warning from the MOD.

Good luck !!
Old June 24, 2009, 06:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul

Have a cyber coffee session with Dr.Zed, Sohel_NR, shaad vai or rojobda.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Shardul,

The method I'm suggesting is essentially a short-term technique to help you do some mukhosto-bidya; it's probably not going to be very effective for long-term retention unless you start using these words in conversation and writing.

With that caveat in mind, I would suggest using flashcards, taking them with you everywhere, and learning from them/testing yourself whenever you have the opportunity. Essentially, write a word on one side of an index card, and the meaning/definition/example of usage on the other side. Carry about a hundred with you at any given time, and memorize/test yourself on these hundred until you've got all of them down pat. Then move on to the next hundred. After every set of three or four hundred, go back and retest yourself to ensure that you still recall the first hundred.

Hope this helps. Good luck. And remember, if you're applying for science programs, we tend to focus more on your college transcripts, your recommendations, and on how well you do in math/logic and the subject tests than on your English vocabulary.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Hope this helps. Good luck. And remember, if you're applying for science programs, we tend to focus more on your college transcripts, your recommendations, and on how well you do in math/logic and the subject tests than on your English vocabulary.
Thanks for your advice.

Alhamdulillah, I have a very good GPA (>3.9 ). Athough I was not able to make many friends, I have made good friendship with many of my professors, and they will write excellent recommendation letters for me, if I ask for it.

All I need now are a good score in GRE verbal section and writing, (I am hopeful about math), and writing the essay.

Fazal Mamu: 75 words per day is a way too much. Currently I am trying to learn 40 per day.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:43 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

shardul vai hit me with 75 difficult words...i will immediately make a mnemonics chart for you...

for example Sohel_NR vai used the word polemics... Picture a totem pole and wrap around the meanings around it or chisel it out of the visual imagery of the pole. Here is the link for polemics to understand in context.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
shardul vai hit me with 75 difficult words...i will immediately make a mnemonics chart for you...
Let me know if this offer holds for me as well.....
Old June 25, 2009, 12:51 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Let me know if this offer holds for me as well.....
hit me...foo'
Old June 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
Banned

সব ডালিম গাছে কি ফল হয়? আমাদের একটা ডালিম গাছ আছে, যেটার শুধু ফুল আসে, কিন্তু ফল ধরে না
Old June 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

i have a 1998 Michael Jackson World Tour Catalog. i reckon this is the perfect time to sell it on ebay. i originally bought it for 25 bucks. i am thinking about putting it up for around $400-$500. is that a good price?
Old June 28, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

I still have the original Thriller LP back in Dhaka.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
সব ডালিম গাছে কি ফল হয়? আমাদের একটা ডালিম গাছ আছে, যেটার শুধু ফুল আসে, কিন্তু ফল ধরে না
Shardul,

Generally, only the flowers from the younger/newer branches of the dalim (pomegranate) plant develop fruits. So it's advisable to keep shortening the branches to encourage new shoot development.

Another point to keep in mind is that pomegranates depend almost entirely on pollination by insects to fertilize the flowers and develop fruits, and that cross-pollination (i.e. pollen from another pomegranate plant) increases the fruit yield. So if you don't see মৌমাছি hanging around your ডালিম গাছ now and then, that might well be a reason. You could counter that by transferring some pollen yourself with a paint brush.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

How many BKSP we have? When were these built? I only know the first one at Savar built in 84/85?
Old June 29, 2009, 11:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
How many BKSP we have? When were these built? I only know the first one at Savar built in 84/85?
I never knew one existed in my home town Sylhet then again I am out of touch with Sylhet Sports since 1991. It will good for Sports in Sylhet if govt allow BFF to have it for their academy. Apparently BKSP Sylhet this is completely unused. (what a waste of money)
Old June 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Shardul,

Generally, only the flowers from the younger/newer branches of the dalim (pomegranate) plant develop fruits. So it's advisable to keep shortening the branches to encourage new shoot development.

Another point to keep in mind is that pomegranates depend almost entirely on pollination by insects to fertilize the flowers and develop fruits, and that cross-pollination (i.e. pollen from another pomegranate plant) increases the fruit yield. So if you don't see মৌমাছি hanging around your ডালিম গাছ now and then, that might well be a reason. You could counter that by transferring some pollen yourself with a paint brush.

That is hilarious. Here is my question:

Can (thematic) plagiarism be acceptable for cultural uplift?

Last edited by One World; June 29, 2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old June 30, 2009, 09:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Regarding Mariyaum's immaculate conception:
There is no denying that Mariyaum existed and so did Isa. But should we not deny something that is scientifically invalid? So, my question is: Is immaculate conception really possible in human? Yes there is a concept called "parthogenesis" where a man is not needed but was this the case in Isa's birth? And if it was, why hasn't this been repeated again in human history?

Englighten me...

this questions has been bugging me for a while...
Old July 1, 2009, 02:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
"parthogenesis" where a man is not needed but was this the case in Isa's birth?
according to wikipedia:

The offspring produced by parthenogenesis are always female in species that use the XY sex-determination system.

That puts all that to rest unless...

ok me leave before Shardul puts a fatwa on me...
Old July 1, 2009, 02:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

why did rasulullah(saw) repent to Allah(swt) 70 times a day while he was sinless?

Last edited by Rifat; July 1, 2009 at 02:50 AM..
Old July 1, 2009, 03:50 AM
Banned

Orphy: Do you believe in God? If yes, then do you believe that God is all powerful? If yes, then you will have to accept the fact that He can do whatever he wants.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:06 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
according to wikipedia:

The offspring produced by parthenogenesis are always female in species that use the XY sex-determination system.

That puts all that to rest unless...

ok me leave before Shardul puts a fatwa on me...
Theoretically it is still quite possible. I am sure you are quite aware of the XX male syndrome. This could perhaps answer why he did not want any offspring.

Now being the smarta$$ as you are, you might say "but Tonoy, for the xx male to occur, you would still require a crossover of the SRY portion of the Y chromosome."

Well not technically, because there are known XX male syndrome that do not have an SRY gene detectable in their cells. And the cause of the condition is not known. Scientists assert that one or more genes that are involved in the development of the sex of an embryo are mutated or altered and cause physical male characteristics in a chromosomally female person. These genes could be located on the X chromosome or on one of the 22 pairs of autosomes that males and females have in common.
Old July 1, 2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

When people buy lands in BD, it is often measured in Katha, shotok, bigha. Can anyone tell me about their equivalent in meter squared?
Old July 1, 2009, 07:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
When people buy lands in BD, it is often measured in Katha, shotok, bigha. Can anyone tell me about their equivalent in meter squared?
1 chatak = 4.18 square metres
1 katha = 16 chatak = 66.89 square metres
1 bigha (in Bangladesh & W. Bengal) = 20 katha = 1338 square metres

Note that the units vary in Nepal and India.
Deshe jomi-joma kinchho naki?
Old July 1, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cricket Legend

thank you tonoy, you are a thinker. As long as there is a possibility I am fine with it. My main belief rest on the fact that I believe God does everything by natural laws/logic

Other explanation is that mary duped us all.