facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default ishant sharma's pace

i heard he hit 149.5 k last night against australia. i wonder, how does he hit such a pace at 19, whilst shahadat - a near carbon copy, just an inch shorter - routinely hits 140, but has never gone past 142.8 k? thats fully 7 ks slower?

is it the pitch? the speedguns? or is there something in the action? or is ishant just a freak of nature?

#OneTeam1Dream

Old February 10, 2008, 02:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I really doubt he hit that, it just defies logic, he is so lanky, even more so than rajib, how can he be hitting that pace.

I'll watch the highlights again

Last edited by Nafi; February 10, 2008 at 02:51 PM..
Old February 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

It's the Hair I'm telling you!!

The radar gun probably made a error, what astonishes me is how he's been consistently getting the Aussies out, it was only 8 months ago when Ashraful embarrassed him now he's embarrassing the Aussies.

I guess the diffrence is Sharma can make the ball move and Rajib really can't do that and Sharma's delivery is much smoother than Rajibs too so it's eaiser for him to get the right line length along with getting in there @ 135-140K
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old February 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cricket Sage

yea i dunno if ishant's faster than rajib. but i would say sree and RP are? sree has some good musculature and RP is tall and quite decently built.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
I really doubt he hit that, it just defies logic, he is so lanky, even more so than rajib, how can he be hitting that pace.

I'll watch the highlights again
being lanky helps fast bowlers, long limbs help with pace. it's not all about brute strength.
Old February 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
being lanky helps fast bowlers, long limbs help with pace. it's not all about brute strength.
yes longer limbs do help, but thick proportional explosive leg muscles, shoulder and back muscle count for much more to produce maximum pace.
Old February 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeh I just saw his 149K delivery, it was a no-ball and a low full toss, so it was an effort ball, I just think that our pace bowlers just dont crank it up when they easily can.
Old February 10, 2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

mark my words ishant will become the best indian bowler of this generation, i could see it from the first game he played, just because you don't take wickets from your debut doesnt mean your not going to suceed because he is, he learns very quickly
Old February 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
yes longer limbs do help, but thick proportional explosive leg muscles, shoulder and back muscle count for much more to produce maximum pace.
strong muscles help, they don't have to be thick and proportional to be strong. when i was 14 i use to be one of the fastest guys in the school (faster than some 17/18 year olds) and i was one of the skinniest guys in the school. just because somene's skinny doesn't mean they can't bowl fast. also delivery plays a role, sharma has a pretty smooth delivery so the momentum wouldn't be as interupted as say shahadat who has a less smooth delivery action.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sam Curran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzfan
mark my words ishant will become the best indian bowler of this generation, i could see it from the first game he played, just because you don't take wickets from your debut doesnt mean your not going to suceed because he is, he learns very quickly
I really rate R. P. Singh but I think you could be right. I wonder how fast he'll be when his body full matures. Does anyone know how fast Shoaib/Lee/Bond/Tait/Malinga were at his age?
Old February 10, 2008, 09:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

that was effort ball when he eas growing in confidence.

when shahadat tries his heart out he reaches 142-143k, but ishant hadt bowled still to hiss full pace yet, he bowls the maximum pace where he feels he is keeping that balance of bowling. and ishant is one the rise he will gain more pace and become more dangerous in 2-3 years.

and his main wapon is bouncing the ball up from a good length and also some swing. even hayden was batting inside his crease which i have never seen hime doing to fast bowler. he always stands way out of the crease and tries to dominate the bowler
Old February 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater582
I really rate R. P. Singh but I think you could be right. I wonder how fast he'll be when his body full matures. Does anyone know how fast Shoaib/Lee/Bond/Tait/Malinga were at his age?
malinga is just a fast medium bowler...fernando is way quicker than him and on a consistent basis too.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 10, 2008, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
malinga is just a fast medium bowler...fernando is way quicker than him and on a consistent basis too.
At first I thought you were crazy but he even admit it

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc200...ry/317954.html
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old February 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

The two Sharma's have been pretty impressive so far, from what I've seen of them. Ishant's been the bigger surprise of the two, and I hope he doesn't fade away like other Indian quickies.

The other Sharma, Rohit, has looked more compact than some of the regulars. I'll give guys like Tiwary the benefit of doubt as they have been exposed to quality attacks too early and unfairly, but Rohit's definitely looked like he's in a different league - one day, he could be better than Tiwary, Uthappa, Yuvraj, Sehwag and Dhoni combined. There, I said it.
Old February 10, 2008, 11:44 PM
Cricket Legend

If the Indian management has some brains, it will ensure no bowlers gets extended run in ODIs and that Ishant should be used sparingly.

There is a healthy pool.

Top Layer
1. R. P. Singh
2. Zaheer Khan
3. Ishant Sharma
4. Sreesanth

Middle Layer
5. Irfan Pathan
6. Munaf Patel
7. Praveen Kumar
8. V R V Singh

There is a comeback layer too:
9. Balaji
10. Nehra
11. Ajit Agarkar

A healthy combination will be to rotate 2 from layer 1 and 1 from layer 2. No one should be given more than 2 ODIs at a time.
Old February 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

DJ, this is what the Australians usually do in these three nation tournaments that they have every year. It's a good policy - helps reduce player burn out. Then again, the short term opportunity cost might just be too high, and it will be a pity if bowlers like Ishant end up with an injury that leaves them out of the game for a year or two. He was complaining about stomach aches and tiredness after the game the other day, so one can tell that all the work's taking a toll on his 19 year old body.

Not everyone's a Mashrafe.
Old February 11, 2008, 01:37 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
The two Sharma's have been pretty impressive so far

Sharma is always impressive as a food to me.

Poor Aussies didn't know that. Had they know it.......then
Old February 11, 2008, 01:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

This guy has some bright future I tell ya ! By the time he reaches 22, he will be a killer !
Old February 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
Cricket Guru

he definately looks the goods, doesn't really need to add any more pace though as he's still effective but obviously it wouldn't hurt if he had some extra pace up his sleeve.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Sharma's Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i heard he hit 149.5 k last night against australia. i wonder, how does he hit such a pace at 19, whilst shahadat - a near carbon copy, just an inch shorter - routinely hits 140, but has never gone past 142.8 k? thats fully 7 ks slower?

is it the pitch? the speedguns? or is there something in the action? or is ishant just a freak of nature?
Two reasons- Pitch and Kookabura ball.

I think Shahadat would touch the same pace or more on those pitches and ball!!!
Old February 11, 2008, 05:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshakir56
This guy has some bright future I tell ya ! By the time he reaches 22, he will be a killer !

How often have we heard that in the Sub-continent? :-). Let us review Sharma's performance after he makes 2 million dollars and has played 50 matches...:-)...so many tales of failures...I have seen enough.....
Old February 11, 2008, 06:31 AM
Banned

hi friends, Ishant is taller than what one would think. He is atleast 6' 6. The way he towers above Symonds 6' 3 and Prasad (bowling coach) 6' 4 has led me to believe this. He is just an inch or so shorter than Pankaj Singh (he played in the practice match against in Canberra after Sydney test and took two wickets) who is tallest at 6' 7.

Munaf is 6' 4 and Ishant is atleast an inch taller than him.

So basically Ishant is bowling on the Curtley Ambrose length and with his rhythm get the same bounce which unsettles batsmen like Ponting, Symonds, Hayden & Hussey.

From the performance of this team that Ponting, Symonds and Hayden are not comfortable with sharp rising deliveries at good length (no single batsmen is to be frank) but these three find it particularly disconcerting. But to implement this strategy a team needs tall (6' 5+) fast bowlers who can run in hard and ball in the right areas that trouble particular batsmen. I have seen Shahadat and even if he tries his best he needs similar support at other end. Hopefully if he is young enough he could add two inches to his height as he grows and he could be Bangladesh's Ishant.

Wish you all good luck.
Old February 11, 2008, 08:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

shahadat and talha jubaer need curtly ambrose or courtney walsh as theri bowling coach.

mashrafe needs javagal srinath as bowling coach.

at leat one month coaching will do
Old February 11, 2008, 10:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by almond
hi friends, Ishant is taller than what one would think. He is atleast 6' 6. The way he towers above Symonds 6' 3 and Prasad (bowling coach) 6' 4 has led me to believe this. He is just an inch or so shorter than Pankaj Singh (he played in the practice match against in Canberra after Sydney test and took two wickets) who is tallest at 6' 7.

Munaf is 6' 4 and Ishant is atleast an inch taller than him.

So basically Ishant is bowling on the Curtley Ambrose length and with his rhythm get the same bounce which unsettles batsmen like Ponting, Symonds, Hayden & Hussey.

From the performance of this team that Ponting, Symonds and Hayden are not comfortable with sharp rising deliveries at good length (no single batsmen is to be frank) but these three find it particularly disconcerting. But to implement this strategy a team needs tall (6' 5+) fast bowlers who can run in hard and ball in the right areas that trouble particular batsmen. I have seen Shahadat and even if he tries his best he needs similar support at other end. Hopefully if he is young enough he could add two inches to his height as he grows and he could be Bangladesh's Ishant.

Wish you all good luck.

Ishant Sharma is 192 cm
Symonds is 187 cm
Venky Prasad: 187 cm (Not confirmed)
Munaf patel: 189cm
Shahdat Hossain: 192 cm (Not confirmed)

As i have said before, kookabura ball and pitch have a big role to play....
Old February 11, 2008, 10:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

where do they measure the delivery ? correct me if i am wrong. But if the speed gun is at the batsman's end, then a full toss will be faster than a pitched delivery, am sure shahadat or any other pace when bowling a full toss will reach 150 easily.

When the ball pitches it takes a considerable amount of pace away from the delivery.