facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 3, 2008, 12:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib
Default Professionals or Not!

If I consider myself a professional, I have the obligation to show up and execute my duties to the best of my abilities. If I can't, I risk getting fired. It is fair that the rules apply for everyone, even our cricketers. After following cricket seriously for the past 4 years, I have a fundamental question to ask, is anyone in the Bangladesh cricket team consider them as professional. If they do, I would recommend them stepping down from test cricket for at least two years. I do not think there are issues regarding experience for most of the player in the team. The question remains how do we create professional cricketers in Bangladesh. Here are some creative thoughts to help cricketers in Bangladesh.

1) BCB allocate a serious portion of money to sponsor teams in Australia, South Africa, England, NZ and maybe Pakistan and get about 50% players from Bangldesh to play in that team (in their Premier/Division 1 leagues). Scotland and Ireland play in County cricketland in England. I am sure someone will allow this kind of creative venture. IPL should be an eye opener for those who believe in "money" as the single most influencer.

2) Consider a pension plan for all cricketers who claim to be professionals. There should be some sort of financial security for young people coming to play cricket as a profession. I was checking out profiles of some othe Under 19 cricketers of Bangladesh (in Cricinfo) and noticed that a few mentioned that they wanted to become businessmen if they do not make it to becomming a professional cricketer - dual intentions can be scary.

3) Seriously consider only playing home series and considerably doctored pitches.

4) Seriously consider handing over the adminsitration to more professional people. For examle BCB can work as a subsidiary of Cricket Australia and all hiring (and firing) is done by Cricket Australia. CA controls the entire cricket program in the country and the premier league is spiced up by having Australian players playing a few matches in Dhaka.

Also advice for the fans:

1) Quit blaming the coach. A coach is as good as the team.
2) Quit picking on Ashraful. He has already established what he can and cannot do

Old March 3, 2008, 11:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Frustrated eh!!
ZunaidH bhai, kisu kisu idea sounds great the others not so.
1) Moving away from Test cricket not in the cards.
2) 50% of foreign players, not happening. May be 10-20% would increase the standard. Good incentive must follow.
3) I love the Doctored pitch idea at home but that would only disguise our level of cricket. However, to learn real cricket we must travel overseas.
4) Subsidary no, consultant yes.
5) bashing coach no, bashing the captain, yes. The captain needs to be educated on his responsibility. He had a bad example to follow. Captain's first responsibility is to lead from the front. Like Smith or Ponting. Not like HB.
Old March 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Our board has definitely a lot to learn how they should set up the domestic cricket. I was really disguested how some of our players took it easy in the last match. It was like a picnic to them. If they do well, its great. If not, who cares. This sort of attitude is really frustating.
Old March 3, 2008, 01:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Why you think its a picnic for the players? Not the BCB executives, not the selectors, not the coach, not the journalists, not the fans ....but the players who had to face those bouncers....
Old March 3, 2008, 03:27 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim & Waqar

Quote:
Seriously consider only playing home series and considerably doctored pitches.
If there were lots of bouncers then the pitch was doctored to suit the safricans.

How many regulation catches did the Bangers drop in that 400 stand? I missed that bit so i would like to know. If they only dropped half chances then the pitch favoured sa (and the bookies) If they dropped some howlers then that is where you should be concentrating. SA is the only side that understands fielding coaching. Fielding is 33% of a test match. 50% of a one day match.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Frustrated eh!!.
T_E;

Not really frustrated. Trying to solve a problem that is 8 years old.

ZunaidH bhai, kisu kisu idea sounds great the others not so.

Quote:
1) Moving away from Test cricket not in the cards.
I did not mention moving away. I am seriously considering launching a blog about "Burden of Test Status". Are we professionals or not? If we are professionals then we should play professional cricket. If not, why suffer. For example, Habibul Bashar is no way in standards a professional, neither is Ashraful...should they play profesional cricket? This is an open ended question. Something to ponder for both HB and MAM. I don't think I can honestly make a judgement.

Quote:
2) 50% of foreign players, not happening. May be 10-20% would increase the standard. Good incentive must follow.
I think 50% is a good number if money is raised.

Quote:
3) I love the Doctored pitch idea at home but that would only disguise our level of cricket. However, to learn real cricket we must travel overseas.
That one actually was a sarcastic comment angled at the likes of MAM (Mohammad Ashraful Matin)

Quote:
4) Subsidary no, consultant yes.
For bangladesh Consultants will not work. Only thing that would work is fear of getting fired. So subsidiary = Yes, Consultant = No.

Quote:
5) bashing coach no, bashing the captain, yes. The captain needs to be educated on his responsibility. He had a bad example to follow. Captain's first responsibility is to lead from the front. Like Smith or Ponting. Not like HB.
Agreed.