facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 11, 2013, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

There is no doubt that if you consider the best batting display by Bangladeshi batsmen, Ashraful's innings during the Natwest series or the ones against India will be amongst the top 3; In fact, no Bangladeshi batsmen has shown his level of shots, hand-eye co-ordination and aggressiveness at his age when 'Ashraful' was 'Ashraful'. Yes, Shakib has shown his version of talent, so has Habibul Bashar, Tamim, Mahmudullah like others... but Ashraful was different. He was exceptional.

I for one think he will not be back in the national side.. but I am wrong because he can be back as a seasoned Test middle order batsmen one day.. There is a need for Ashraful like players to be around the NCL, despite his inconsistencies, lack of performance, he has seen it, done it all from being the superstar of Bangladesh team to become the laughing stock; He can guide the young ones, the next ones while he is around.. just like what Nannu, Khaled Masud did, Enamul, Mashrafee is doing...
Old January 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
He can guide the young ones, the next ones while he is around.. just like what Nannu, Khaled Masud did, Enamul, Mashrafee is doing...
And that is what I am afraid of.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

He's already guiding Anamul to failure.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
fully agree with CaptainBD here... Shakib is only excellent with the bat and ball whereas Ashraful can also dance at the international level
Exactly! can shakib really dance?

wake me up when shakib will be able to dance like sir Ash

Back to being serious: i think ashraful is highly talented, more than shakib but shakib is a real performer and has a strong mentality and thus he has achieved feats sir ash can only think about
Old January 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Talent means absolutely nothing without performance...consistent performance.

Ergo, Ash fail, Shak hero.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainBD
Exactly! can shakib really dance
Shak dances only when it matters . He dances only with celebrities. Remember him dancing with SRK after KKR won the IPL title? Wish I could find that video now
Old January 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
Cricket Sage

So Ash dances consistently but Shak dances once in a while.
Who got better talent then?
Old January 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Oh.My.God.
Easy for you to give a . But reality is that you have barely seen ashraful's innings when he was full flow. I am pretty sure you didnt follow innings like those against SA in the 2007WC, or 2005 natwest series. For someone to emulate that you need to be highly talented. Ashraful is quite talented, probably the most talented player in the country, a lot like rohit sharma.......just that they cant translate their p

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
So Ash dances consistently but Shak dances once in a while.
Who got better talent then?
ofcourse, sir ash. He dances in the middle with atleast a 100 million watching. shakib doesnt dance live nor in-front of a lot of people
Old January 11, 2013, 11:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Ashraful is more talented than shakib. Infact, shakib isnt that talented....
I stopped reading after this. Maybe you are a regular customer at Shichuan and mixing up cooking with cricket.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
And that is what I am afraid of.
You don't think Mashud, Nannu, Bulbul, Akram or Mashrafee isnt any inspiration for any young cricketers? Or should young players not take any advice from local senior players? just follow whatever Rashed Hanif or Hason Raza says?

Ashraful is out of the national team for a reason.. he lacks consistency and recently out of form and isnt playing what he is known for. But the amount of cricket he has played, and played against,, he sure knows cricket!! No other ex-BD national player, that is still playing in the local league, can even come close to the amount of international matches Ashraful has played. That's statistics. And passing those tips to local lads is the role he needs to play.. It can never be a 'Amirul Islam Babu' who will guide a Mominul Haque, Taposh Ghosh how to play during pressure situation-- it will be a player like Mashrafee, Ashraful, Nafees, Tusher who will give them the confidence because young players look up to them-- even if fans like us have ditched them long ago for the new sensation..
Old January 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Easy for you to give a . But reality is that you have barely seen ashraful's innings when he was full flow. I am pretty sure you didnt follow innings like those against SA in the 2007WC, or 2005 natwest series. For someone to emulate that you need to be highly talented. Ashraful is quite talented, probably the most talented player in the country, a lot like rohit sharma.......just that they cant translate their
I did watch all those innings (except the SA inning which I watched on extended highlights) - and talent is a word so loosely used in his case. He just came across as someone who purely thrived on hand eye co-ordination - no balance, no footwork, poor shot selection. As good he was to watch at the time, I never ever trusted him to make it big.

Rohit does well everywhere else, has solid technique, but just can't seem to handle pressure of intl cricket. He's yet to debut in tests anyway.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
You don't think Mashud, Nannu, Bulbul, Akram or Mashrafee isnt any inspiration for any young cricketers? Or should young players not take any advice from local senior players? just follow whatever Rashed Hanif or Hason Raza says?

Ashraful is out of the national team for a reason.. he lacks consistency and recently out of form and isnt playing what he is known for. But the amount of cricket he has played, and played against,, he sure knows cricket!! No other ex-BD national player, that is still playing in the local league, can even come close to the amount of international matches Ashraful has played. That's statistics. And passing those tips to local lads is the role he needs to play.. It can never be a 'Amirul Islam Babu' who will guide a Mominul Haque, Taposh Ghosh how to play during pressure situation-- it will be a player like Mashrafee, Ashraful, Nafees, Tusher who will give them the confidence because young players look up to them-- even if fans like us have ditched them long ago for the new sensation..
No doubt Ash has talent and experience, but lacks serious application. In fact, arguably Ash is the first BD player to be recognized internationally.

But as someone mentioned in this thread, he lacked proper coaching and grooming in his early days. It was his natural game that made him a hero early in his career but later this natural game alone led to his downfall.

According to his recent interview, he is suffering from serious lack of confidence. I wonder how helpful he would be to young players now.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Ashraful is more talented than shakib. Infact, shakib isnt that talented when you compare him to the likes of ash. But here's the difference, shakib has the mental attitude to survive in the cricketing world.
I was once told the same by a man who does coaching for a living. He knows his cricket pretty well. He comes from the Land Down Under.

True Story.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 11, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Advising young players? It depends what kind of advice he gives them and what is his real motive.

Ofcource any national player can give useful advice to young players... and so does Ashraful.... but who will make sure he doesn't give that type of advice that he gave to his teammates (and introduced to the agent) to join ICL and then he himself chicken out and backed off leaving his friends in harm's way... some of them end up screwing up their careers for few years.... Dhiman is still paying the price.

Last edited by Fazal; January 11, 2013 at 06:48 PM..
Old January 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Advising young players? It depends what advice he gives them and what is his motive.

Of cource any national player can give useful advice to young players... and so does Ashraful.... but who will make sure he doesn't give that type of advice that he gave to his team mates ( and introduced to the agent) to join ICL and then he himself chickened out hehself leaving his friends in harm's way... some of them end up screwing up their careers for few years.... Dhiman is still paying price.
Wat a bs story Fazal manu...
Old January 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Ashraful came at a time when BD had just got its status (test status less than year old).
Born 1984
FC debut 2000 (15)
Test and ODI debuts in 2001 (16)
Captain 2007 (22)

Shakib came at a time when BD test status was 7 years old.
Born 1987
FC debut 2005 (17 yrs old)
ODI debut 2006 (18 yrs old)
Test Debut 2007 (19 yrs old)
Captain 2009 (21 years old)

Someone posted that Shakib was trained properly and that Ash got triple promotions.
Now whose idea was it to do so. If management wanted to tinker with the life of a prospect - then how is that Ashraful's fault? What type of FC infrastructure was there before 2001 in Bangladesh? Whose fault was that? Whose idea was it to burden the player with captaincy? Experimentation and hail-Mary decisions were made and Ashraful payed the price - why was urgency required? Why don't you guys answer that in-stead of talking of dancing and virginity?

One should take into account the times of individuals for a historical background check - before jumping to conclusions.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:49 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

FIVE years! The thread is still going strong.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Now whose idea was it to do so. If management wanted to tinker with the life of a prospect - then how is that Ashraful's fault?
First thing first ... who said its fully Ashrafuls' fault?

If you ask me, there are two stage in his career... a) when he was in his teens and b) when he became adult.

When he came to the stage he was too young ... its mainly BCB and his Guardian's fault (who ever they were) for not guiding him to the right path.

But as he moved towards his adulthood, its mainly his fault... for sqandering soo many opportunities and not relaizing what he need to do to bring back his career.... nobody is quesioning his natural talent that he got from God (Allah)... but once he is adult... for his faultre...if its anybody's fault... it should be mainly his fault.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

so many people in love with Mohammed Ashraful for one reason! his the one that gave us little global presence, when we had none. I respect him myself, Back in the day's he was our Tendulkar. At the moment his our Sehwag
Old January 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Sometimes I wish he didn't score that century on debut.

Oi ekta century tar shob nosto kore diyeche. He was a bowler who can bat a bit. But that century made him a batsman who can bowl a bit.

O jodi century ta na korto tahole dol theke baad porto ar age level and onno program gulo te thakto bhalo kisu shikhto. Bhalo coaching paito.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Sometimes I wish he didn't score that century on debut.

Oi ekta century tar shob nosto kore diyeche. He was a bowler who can bat a bit. But that century made him a batsman who can bowl a bit.

O jodi century ta na korto tahole dol theke baad porto ar age level and onno program gulo te thakto bhalo kisu shikhto. Bhalo coaching paito.
its not his century, its his match winning performance in the past that gave us some global appeal at international level
Old January 11, 2013, 04:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

If any young player takes advice from Ashraful and actually listens to it, he will be a guaranteed failure. You take advice from people who are successful/ knowledgeable. Not failures/ ignorant people. This is the main reason I want him as far from talented young players as possible, he is a bad influence.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
If any young player takes advice from Ashraful and actually listens to it, he will be a guaranteed failure. You take advice from people who are successful/ knowledgeable. Not failures/ ignorant people. This is the main reason I want him as far from talented young players as possible, he is a bad influence.
Perhaps, he should start wearing 'bubble boy suit' when he next plays in Mirpur and his residence should be moved to Kashimpur...
Old January 11, 2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Wat a bs story Fazal manu...
Not a BS story. I believe that too.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Luka Modric

Ashraful was at his best when he was young. His transition from a child to adult has been woeful.

I remember in the last world cup they were doing a preview of each team on tv and when they started talking about Bangladesh they were saying that Ashraful will be leading the team from the front. He wasnt even in the XI in the first match against India.