facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 20, 2018, 09:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

There are actually 2 schools, 1. Rational and mature school of thought 2. No comments

Old August 24, 2018, 11:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

I know a lot of people over here are probably gonna chew me out for saying this. I am not gonna go into the debate of whether he should be back in the team or not and I certainly am not a fan of his inconsistency but just last night I went through all his Eid Innings test, Odis and T-20s and I must say this guy on his day was amazing. Absolutely world-class on his unicorn rare days. So full of talent.

And on his day I have to admit none of our current boys are as amazing as he was maybe except for Mushy and Tamim but even so Ashraful on his rare days had so much time to play his shots and he really could play all around the wicket and had all the shots in his aresenal and the timing.... especially his 87 against South Africa..he played all the shots all around the wicket.

And back in his day the bowling attacks were so much better, he scored against the likes of Shane Bond, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Mcrgath, Vaas, Warne,Murali, Kallis, Ntini, Hoggard, Harmison, Flintoff, Heath Streak, Fidel Edwards, this guy if only he was consistent. What a waste of talent.

I am sure of this after the Ashraful Eid Marathon last night on YouTube, no one from the current bunch is as naturally gifted, except for maybe Mushy. I say if he proves to be consistent in the domestic formats bring him in.

Last edited by dark mage; August 25, 2018 at 01:25 AM..
Old August 25, 2018, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

^ it will take 1 failure for the pitch forks to come out.
Old August 25, 2018, 04:22 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
^ it will take 1 failure for the pitch forks to come out.
Unlike the era he played, the team really wont depend on him to win games and similarly his failures will have minimal impact just like Shabbir, Soumya or Mosaddek. There is no reason for him to open or play in the top 5. He can be the match winner/wildcard at 6 when we need some quick runs. He plays spin and pace equally well and with his experience of playing in England and the range of shots in his armory, we might get the best out of him in the final 3rd of the game. All of this depends on how he does in the opportunities he gets prior to WC. He needs to score a lot of runs to be considered
Old August 25, 2018, 11:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Apart from the senior players nobody is doing anything much atm, it might be worth giving him a try with the world cup in mind given Ashraful's experience and talent. After the world cup we can look to younger players for his position.
Old August 25, 2018, 08:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

What’s to say he will be anymore consistent than sabbir or the others? One thing to do it in domestics, another thing to do it internationally. Don’t forget ash kind of lost his hitting mojo much like tamim, tamim is a much more consistent batsman now but his destruction ability is far less than it used to be, not sure if ash would be a lot of use if say his general strike rate was around 75/80 even if he’s averaging quite high because with mushy and shakib, tamim and to a lesser extent riyad the consistency thing isn’t as bad these days, but finding batsmen who can score at 100+ in the 50 over matches or hit at 120/130 in the later overs, that’s what the team is struggling to find atm in ODIs.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Are you really comparing the likes of Shabbir with someone who on his rare days took apart fearsome bowling line ups and single handedly won us games? Ash had everything else except for consistency. I agree that there's a vast gap between international and domestics but Ash is someone who took apart famous bowlers on his day. And the bowlers of present era are nothing compared to the likes of McGrath, Murali or Warne...shabbir is nothing but a hack. Even Naseer has a century.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Sabbir has a significantly higher strike rate in ODIs than ash does, he has a higher average to though not much difference between 22 and 24.

But my point wasn’t about sabbir, put in any player, just call them x. Ash has to be better than them or he shouldn’t be considered at all. I don’t care who ash took apart, if he can only average 22 with an overall strike rate of 70 then I want to exhaust all my options before picking a player with that sort of record.

Ash’s current international record is a hinder on his selection, not a positive. His first step should be to out play the youngsters coming up through the ranks, strike rate is very important, consistency is very important, so is the ability to play different shots, push for singles amongst other things. But to begin with he needs to consistency and the strike rate.

You know what’s really crazy? Thinking a guy who averages only 22 with a 70 strike rate after 150+ ODI matches should be automatically considered for the national team.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Who said anything about an automatic consideration? I think I put it quite bluntly that he needs to prove his consistency in the domestics first. You keep talking about his strike rate ...check out the strike rate on his rare Eid days, this guy ince had the quickest 50 in T-20S and check out his innigs against England or SA...on his Eid days his strike rate was right up there. I am not concerned about his strike rate at all to be honest coz with the range of shots he has he can easily accelerate. Ash's Achilles heel has always been his consistency. Right now I am more concerned about his fitness and consistency than strike rate. He has won us games. Show me one game the likes of Shabbir has won us singlehandedly
Old August 26, 2018, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Well, it should be interesting. He certainly believes he can make it back. I would be very surprised if he does.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:04 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Useless conversation... Lets see him in the BPL then we can analyze about how he is right now as opposed to what he was before or the blunt assumptions about his future
Old August 26, 2018, 12:07 AM
Cricket Guru

There are people who are discussing about him as an option in the team, that’s giving him an automatic consideration.

Forget his eid days, they are few and far between, what is his strike rate and average in a normal innings? That’s what you’ve got to look at.

As to easily accelerating, I’m sceptical on that at this stage, as I said he lost that part of his game quite significantly much like Tamim has, difference is when Tamim lost that part of his game he became much more consistent, ash didn’t do that, and even if he did you can only have so many players who play that anchor role, you need batsmen who can score quickly as well.

Sabbir, you are focusing on the wrong thing by bringing it back to him, I just used him as an example, Sabbir imo is not good enough to be in the team, yet he consistently is, and ash would have to be better than the worst who are currently in the team I.e. sabbir.
Old August 26, 2018, 02:33 AM
Cricket Guru

There is also the question of his fitness.
Old August 26, 2018, 05:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Bringing in Ashraful would mean going backwards. We need to rather bring in younger guys and give them a consistent chance (like Anamul was given at West Indies. Also, he isn't a tailender. There are plenty of talented player who don't get a chance as it is now because of favouritism.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

ashraful bhai k fire pete chai...

there i said it
Old August 26, 2018, 07:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
ashraful bhai k fire pete chai...

there i said it
Look who's back.
Old August 26, 2018, 08:46 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

His past records and periods of inconsistency does not strike much confidence but I'm all for giving someone a chance after consistent performance in the domestic sector. Let him do that first before we say which gaps in the XI he can fill in.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:07 PM
Cricket Savant

I posted this on my page Cricket Curiosities. Didn't see the video here. So I am embedding it. Sorry if it is a repost:

Quote:
A phenomenal rags to riches story of hard work under a sagely mentor of Wahedul Goni. Unbelievable passion to save lunch money for rickshaw ride to chance in National team. Cozying with Tendulkar and ultimately playing with his idol side by side. Flashes of genius to fall out of favor. Kinesthetically a prodigy although educationally not gifted. Here are some more gem of anecdotes of Ashraful in all his humility.

Old September 4, 2018, 10:07 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

পাঁচটা সেঞ্চুরি করেছি, কেউ খেলা দেখেনি। শুধু শুনেছে আমার স্ট্রাইকরেট ৭৪। আমি মোহামেডানের সঙ্গে ১২৭ করেছিলাম, ৪৪ ওভারে। তখনো ৬ উইকেট ছিল। আমি আউট হতেই ২০ রানের মধ্যে দল অলআউট। কেউ মাঠে যেয়ে খেলা দেখেনি। স্কোর দেখে ম্যাচের পরিস্থিতি বোঝা কঠিন। খেলা দেখলে এসব প্রশ্ন আসত না। বিপিএলে যদি সুযোগ পাই এটা ভালো প্লাটফর্ম, এখানে ভালো করলে আর প্রশ্ন থাকবে না।’

From prothom alo
https://www.prothomalo.com/sports/ar...A7%87%E0%A6%B6
Old September 4, 2018, 11:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

^What a pity!

Players prove themselves in domestic and then fail in national level. While his case is opposite. Funny those who are questioning his credibility in International cricket because he is not at par in domestic.
Old September 4, 2018, 07:06 PM
Cricket Savant

Can't keep the Teflon don away...

Ashraful eyes Bangladesh comeback through Afghanistan Premier League

"I want to be a trendsetter." © Getty
Former Bangladesh skipper Mohammad Ashraful said on Tuesday (September 4) that he is eyeing a comeback through the upcoming Afghanistan Premier League slated to begin from October 5 in UAE. Ashraful, who was touted as the biggest thing in Bangladesh cricket, was slapped with a five-year ban from all forms of cricket following his involvement in match-fixing and spot-fixing in the 2013 edition of the Bangladesh Premier League. Having served his time off the field, Ashraful is now raring to make a comeback and represent his country again.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...premier-league
Old September 7, 2018, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
His past records and periods of inconsistency does not strike much confidence but I'm all for giving someone a chance after consistent performance in the domestic sector. Let him do that first before we say which gaps in the XI he can fill in.
domestic performance doesn't mean anything to BCB

otherwise, tushar Imran, naeem islam, rajin saleh, alok kapali, enam jr, farhad Hossain will be in the team/ come back to the team long time ago
Old September 7, 2018, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

even recent performance for A team also don't count much

last A team, mominul and soumya performed but both were neglected for national team but najmul Hossain shanto got selected and mohammed mithun. so not sure, what is criteria.

I can say, you have to be in the good book of BCB or selector.thats the only way to get selected
Old September 7, 2018, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Ashraful respects his hero Bulbul so much that he did not want to surpass him. Bulbul's avg. in ODI is 23. Ashraful's is 22.
Old September 7, 2018, 02:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
even recent performance for A team also don't count much

last A team, mominul and soumya performed but both were neglected for national team but najmul Hossain shanto got selected and mohammed mithun. so not sure, what is criteria.

I can say, you have to be in the good book of BCB or selector.thats the only way to get selected
Nazmul got selected for his domestic performances. Sarkar got too many opportunities and it's time to drop him for good. Mithun was good at Ireland and got selected for that.