facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:03 AM
Mahmood's Avatar
Mahmood Mahmood is offline
Administrator
Operations & Administrations
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Posts: 7,770
Default Why did we lose this test?

1. Incompetence of the Curator
Mr. Bodiul Alam has no clue how to make a pitch. Time and over, he makes a pitch, and announces this to be a specific type and match time it totally the opposite. We needed a spin friendly wicket against a team that has good fast bowlers, what did we get? Can we please fire this guy and hire someone from Sri Lanka (like before) to make the pitches, right.

2. Worst selector ever
The team of Rafiqul, Durjoy and Akram sucks. These guys goes on whim, makes something up and immediately strongly believe it. The teams they have selected has be ridiculous and its time we put a stop to this idiocy. There is intelligence behind going into a test with 3 full time bowlers plus one all rounder.

3. Mushfiq
He may be the future, but he is definitly not the present. Please bring Pilot for the 2nd test.

4. Rafiq
I like him, but lets face the fact, in home ground, Enamul is much better than him. It was Enamul who gave us the first test win, not Rafiq.

5. Tamim
Please don't play unless you feel fit. The physio can only check if you can move or not, its you who has to be honest and tell the management you are not comfortable to play yet. Don't cost the country for your one day of extra salary.

6. Bashar
If you have any dignity left, please retire now, before the 2nd test, so that someone else can come in and help us score better than you can.

7. Masri
Leave your problems at home, don't bring it to work. Just cause your personal life sucks, does not mean your professional life can not be a success. Please grow up.

8. Steve Bucknor
He is almost 62 years old, and his calls were not up to mark on this test. His calls were wrong for both teams. However, SA has many great players and the wrong calls he made, did not hurt them as much (but it could have). It did cost us a lot. We have barely a team and when some bad calls go against key players, we have no one to make that up. Always, the bad calls hurt the weak team lot more than the stronger teams.

Last edited by Mahmood; February 25, 2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Added point 8
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,895

Enamul would have returned with similar bowling analysis like Shakib. It's the consistency and experience of Rafiq that gives him the edge over all other current spinners.

I agree with the rest.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:18 AM
Ehsan's Avatar
Ehsan Ehsan is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: February 12, 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
4. Rafiq
I like him, but lets face the fact, in home ground, Enamul is much better than him. It was Enamul who gave us the first test win, not Rafiq.
I would not completely agree. I think we have played enamul in a home test series after that Zimbabwe win, and I can't recall any notable performance. Rafique on the other hand can use his experience and deliver. He has taken atleast 4 wickets in this test where the pitch was pace friendly. However, I would play 2 full time spinners - Rafique and Enamul for next test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
6. Bashar
If you have any dignity left, please retire now, before the 2nd test, so that someone else can come in and help us score better than you can.
If Bashar sits then we can confidently go with 2 spinners, and may replace Bashar with Farhad or Rajin depending on what kind of pitch is being prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
7. Masri
Leave your problems at home, don't bring it to work. Just cause your personal life sucks, does not mean your professional life can not be a success. Please grow up.
Is masri really going through personal problems? Any valid reason for your suspicion? Or, are you saying that because his performance came down after marriage? I was feeling more like he needs a break because he does not look fully fit when he is bowling. He has lost the fire in him, may be a break can bring it back. I would go with Sajjadul for next test.
__________________
::::::::¤ E h S a n ¤::::::::
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Ehsan's Avatar
Ehsan Ehsan is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: February 12, 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,275

I would put Ashraful's batting as one of the reason for losing this test. Being a captain, and being blessed with such talent and ability, he should have played more responsibly specially in the first inning where he was in a hurry and in 20/20 mood.
__________________
::::::::¤ E h S a n ¤::::::::
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
abu2abu abu2abu is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Location: Paris
Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Enamul would have returned with similar bowling analysis like Shakib. It's the consistency and experience of Rafiq that gives him the edge over all other current spinners.
You can't know that for sure miraz bhai! The only certain thing is that rafique is more experienced, but that doesn't mean he'd get more wickets than enamul. after all bashar is more experienced that Junaed and Shakib, yet he scored fewer runs than either of them.

Rafique got some crucial breakthroughs but just when we were hoping he'd get another he failed. It was shahadat who got us through the 1st test with anything resembling pride. we were definitely a one bowler light.

As for Mash, I thought he bowled really well just before the close of play on day 2. But the rest of the time he was rubbish. I hope he contnues to improvement in the next game. Mash does give us useful runs lower down the order. Rafique, surprisingly, didn't, even though he has plenty of experience and used to be an opener!...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:34 AM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,895

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
You can't know that for sure miraz bhai! The only certain thing is that rafique is more experienced, but that doesn't mean he'd get more wickets than enamul. after all bashar is more experienced that Junaed and Shakib, yet he scored fewer runs than either of them.

Rafique got some crucial breakthroughs but just when we were hoping he'd get another he failed. It was shahadat who got us through the 1st test with anything resembling pride. we were definitely a one bowler light.

.
I am not saying Rafique is more effective because of his experience. It's the consistency and experience combined that made Rafique superior. Shahadat claimed more wickets but Rafique kept things really tight from the other end. If someone was leaking runs from the other end, the situation could have been completely different.

Please don't compare Rafique with others, he always gave 100% and performed.

Except Zimbabwe series, I haven't seen any great or penetrative bowling spell from Enamul.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

Rafiq has done well in this test match. If Enamul should play, he should play as the second spinner behind Rafiq. Rafiq did take four wickets in this game where anyone but Shahadat looked really toothless.

Mashrafee really frustates me. I agree with Mahmood bhai fully. I feel like he is going through some sorta personal problem and is not concentrating on his game. You have to see this as your job and have to give your hundred percent all the time. Maybe a break will help him get his focus back. Siddons should be really specific on what he wants from Masri.

I am sure Tamim will come back strong in this game. I guess the team management should've realized that he is short on match practice and give him some more time to recover. I can't really blame the kid. I think he was fit enough to play but wasn't ready enough.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:47 AM
Mahmood's Avatar
Mahmood Mahmood is offline
Administrator
Operations & Administrations
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Posts: 7,770

Just to clear everyone, I dont know for sure if Masri has personal issues at home. But I read him interviews in newspapers where he stated he has some personal problem and that is barring him from concentrating at him game.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ajfar's Avatar
Ajfar Ajfar is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Nirala
Posts: 17,267

how come we dn't include rajin in the final 11...doesn't he hav a gud record of playing at home???
__________________
"I was the happiest man in the world, happier than Bill Gates"- Tamim Iqbal
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
WarWolf WarWolf is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 3, 2007
Favorite Player: Love them all....
Posts: 11,405

I agree with Miraz bhai. I don't think Enamul has improved as a top quality bowler. His only good performance was against Zimbabwe. He even not that much successful in domestic cricket. I don't know why; but it's evident that Enam failed to live per expectation.
__________________
And Allah Knows the best
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 25, 2008, 10:59 AM
WarWolf WarWolf is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 3, 2007
Favorite Player: Love them all....
Posts: 11,405

Adding to Mahmood bhai, I think the main reason behind the failure is lack of proper planning.IMO this JS guy is doing ok. But he doesn't get necessary assistance from others; not from the board, not from the selectors or not from the players.

There is no vision in our approach towards the game. This is no cricket. Cricket means planning and going with it. Unluckily our top management ( axing JS from the list) don't know and care about it.
__________________
And Allah Knows the best
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:02 AM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 24,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
Just to clear everyone, I dont know for sure if Masri has personal issues at home. But I read him interviews in newspapers where he stated he has some personal problem and that is barring him from concentrating at him game.
Yes, you are correct. he is having some personal issues and trying to get through them. however, his replacement doesn't give me enough confidence unless it is Rasel. Rasel may not have pace like Sajidul but he has a head like Rafique. he will get Smith with his super slow ball every time because Smith trying to be cautious, plays Rasel in the back foot exposing his wickets.

Obviously Rafiq is far superior in the thinking game in setting up his prey than any BD bowler (in the history). Rasel is second best on that. Enam Jr. or Abdur Razzak will be huge pairing with Rafique.

Mushi got to sit (I love him but).

Habibul Bashar got to open up batting camp for U-15 year olds in Kushtia and other places right away. If Habibul Bashar plays 2nd test, then he needs to come after Mashrafe at 11. That is how a message Siddons can send to the selectors and players.

So definitely one change is necessary. Two change will do the team a great favor.
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
Ehsan's Avatar
Ehsan Ehsan is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: February 12, 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,275

Now, that I hear about Masri's personal problem, I think as a vice captain and a contributing and responsible member of the team, he should step away from the next test even if selectors force him. If you know you can't focus on your game because of your personal problems, then you should not play.
__________________
::::::::¤ E h S a n ¤::::::::
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
zainab zainab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 16, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib
Posts: 4,650

In the first test match, BD played with 8 players( minus Mash, Tamim and Bashar), SA played with 12 players including Buchnor.

The odds were against them, but they did not do too badly, If they had posted a first innings total of 250+ and cruised to over 200 in the second innings, they had a chance of winning.

I hope the best team is chosen for the second test regardless of selectors favourites and they really wake up and see the situation for what it really is and dont let sentiment rule their judgement.
Bashar and Mash really need to be rested, with Bashar permanently getting the boot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,455

For me its pretty simple,

Except for Junaid, SN (sort of), Aftab, Shahadat and Rafiq, all of the rest are the reason for our failure.

So go figure who are the REST.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
arifur81 arifur81 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 30, 2007
Location: UK
Favorite Player: Myself
Posts: 232

Why don' we just admit that our bats men does not have a clue how to play against a top order international team. Again and again we are finding an escape goat, the management, umpire or the pitch. Everything was the same for SA how come they manage to bat and ball, and even we had the advantage of playing home. According to me an international team should be able to play under any condition and on any kind of pitch. Yes performances may differ but with our team always the same results.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
Eshen's Avatar
Eshen Eshen is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 27, 2007
Posts: 7,775

The kind of favoritism our selectors (including Siddons) are showing towards certain players is really making me angry. This kind of favoritism is going to hurt us more than losing one match.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
DJ Sahastra DJ Sahastra is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 20, 2004
Location: US
Posts: 2,841

We lost this Test because some heads just exploded when match started to look in our grasp.
__________________
Baba Tomar Bangladeshe Koto Kola Chao
Kola Bagan Chash Koira Kosto Koira Khao Baba Re
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
samircreep samircreep is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: November 3, 2002
Posts: 707

1. Team composition was wrong. Sakib is not an all rounder, he's a batsman who can bowl a bit. Sakib plays the same role as Rajin: he's an anchor around which the team can build around. It hurts me to see him bat at 7, he can contribute zilch there. He should bat at 5 so that Aftab or a strokemaker can come after him and play shots, secure in the knowledge that the other end will be held up.

2. Pitch didn't crumble as we expected. In fact, after day 2, the pitch didn't crumble at all. Almost all the batsmen started playing on the front foot which negated any problems that could arise from low bounce. The pitch was pretty slow as well and hence any spin was very easily negated of the backfoot as well. De villiers inning was an example of that.

3. tamim should not have played. He looked well short of match fitness. His second dismissal was an example of how he struggled to even pick the correct length.

4. This is related to point no 1. We lacked another strike bowler. We have one extra batter in this team (Shumon) and we either need a genuine allrounder (reza) or an out and out bowler (rajjak/sajid).

5. Shumon

6. SA bowled and batted remarkably in the second innings. The bowlers, esp kallis, esp got the ball reversing much like Shadat did in the second innings while the batters finally got their footwork right and stayed predominantly on the front foot and defended with the bat in front of the bat, and not adjacent to the pad as is conventional defence. Makes a big difference on pitches like this.

In defense of umpires: both had a fair game. To those who weren't at the field, I would say every single dismissal (except rafique's and Prince's) looked out to me while sitting right behind the umpires. It's one thing to watch the decisions on tv at slo mo, quite something else to judge live.

In defence of Mushfiq: he had a great game behind the stumps and had an unlucky decision going against him. we should persist.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
akabir77's Avatar
akabir77 akabir77 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 23, 2004
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
Posts: 10,749

Rafiq!!! r u kidding? he was the only thing going for us.

Mash er shomasha onno jaygay. He is scared. Look at his protection when he comes to bat in a low slow pitch? i mean number 11 shahadat doesn't have that much protection. and the way he jumps out to the leg side tells me he is very scared of the bowlers and thats causing his down fall in his bowling. This needs to get fixed before we can find our old mash...
__________________
1. Shahadat Hossain: Mufambisi c Mashud; Chigumbura lbw; Utseya c Mashud
2.
Abdur Razzak: P Utseya caught; RW Price lbw; CB Mpofu lbw
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
akabir77's Avatar
akabir77 akabir77 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 23, 2004
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
Posts: 10,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by samircreep
In defence of Mushfiq: he had a great game behind the stumps and had an unlucky decision going against him. we should persist.
Bro he missed at least two stumping which could have made the difference also he never went for one catch which dropped short in front of the 1st slip but thats the area a keeper suppose to jump and try to get to the ball and he never even tried that...
__________________
1. Shahadat Hossain: Mufambisi c Mashud; Chigumbura lbw; Utseya c Mashud
2.
Abdur Razzak: P Utseya caught; RW Price lbw; CB Mpofu lbw
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:53 AM
abu2abu abu2abu is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 4, 2007
Location: Paris
Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I am not saying Rafique is more effective because of his experience. It's the consistency and experience combined that made Rafique superior. Shahadat claimed more wickets but Rafique kept things really tight from the other end. If someone was leaking runs from the other end, the situation could have been completely different.

Please don't compare Rafique with others, he always gave 100% and performed.

Except Zimbabwe series, I haven't seen any great or penetrative bowling spell from Enamul.
You may be right about enamul. but we won't know how well he's doing unless he's given a good run in the side. that probably won't be until after rafique retires.

As for Rafique always giving 100%, that's not true. Rafiqe bowled poorly against Sri lanka last year (2 wickwets in 3 innings) and the selectors were disappointed with his lack of application in the NCL which is why he was left out of the NZ series...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old February 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
desirocker's Avatar
desirocker desirocker is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 14, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Favorite Player: Mash, Sakib, Anamul
Posts: 1,249

we lost the test because of some jackass*..(I'm not getting banned i hope)
#1 is Habla Bashar. (Goru kore gorur Dudher ad)
#2 is SN..( I still believe in him, he needs 2 see a psychologist)
#3 Mushfiqur Rahim (what not can i say)
#4 all other batsmen
__________________
Life is a bizarre thing, it tests you first and teaches you afterwards.

Last edited by Ehsan; February 25, 2008 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old February 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
samircreep samircreep is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: November 3, 2002
Posts: 707

Both stumping chances were not easy. But i would agree that he should have done better at placing the slippers closer, esp after seeing SA's mistakes. But ash as skipper should shoulder some responsibility too. My point is since Pilot has already announced that he's leaving, there's no point in picking him. My opinion is we should continue to invest in Mushy. Trust me, he will come good.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old February 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
lamisa's Avatar
lamisa lamisa is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy
Posts: 6,743

come on people,dont bash mushy.i know some people are talking about him missing stumpings but if you watched the match then you would have seen how much effort he put into stopping a few boundries.displayed some fantabulous dives.as 4 his batting,ITS ALL BUCKNOR'S FAULT!!!!!and please dont raise a finger against tamim and rafique.rafique fattaye bowling korse and tamim was just unlucky.how many times do u see a bd batsmen making 2 50's in a country like nz and that 2 against them?
__________________
haruk ba jituk,i am always there with BDcricket!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket