facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 21, 2008, 01:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM
Exclamation "I came here thinking we might lose 5-0"- Siddons

Quote:
Whether he expected such a one-sided series

"Realistically I came here thinking we might lose 5-0. You guys might think that is negative thinking but I think it is realistic. I know where we stand, where we are and where we need to get."
TigerCricket

No wonder why our players are so weak and confused in the field.

If their coach thinks something like this, what would the players do? He sends the players to the field for a hororable defeat. Not for a WIN. As he already know that we will lose. We used to do that around 2/3 years before and we are still doing that.

If the coach is that weak minded, then what can we expect from our players? They will become more weaker than they used to be.

A coach have to be a strong minded else he won't be able to motivate his players. If he's a weak minded, his players will never progress further.

I didn't like Dav Whatmore but I think he was a much better coach than Siddons. Siddons is not good enough to be a head coach. He is an excellent batting coach.

Old April 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

He speaks the truth, and I like being realistic.

But being realistic doesn't work on these players, who are obviously low in confidence and have no clue what the hell international cricket is about. Conclusion: Siddons should try to understand the players better, and our players should toughen up a bit.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

DW said few things that we didn't like. You all know that.

GG said few things that BCB didn't like.

Amarnath said few things that no-one liked.

Trevor said few things that we didn't like.

Mohsin Kamal did few things (didn't actually) that we didn't like.

++++

As long as Siddons have a plan, has a time-line, has a focus, and can show tid bit improvements along the way, I am happy. He also needs to know that he doesn't know everything and there are cultural and other barriers that he needs to overcome. Both ways need to be open minded and ready for small changes that would make the transition period better. The only advice I have is keep open communication with BCB, selectors, players, specially captain. The last two are the ones need him the most.

Stay away from the Media as much as possible coach.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
The authority should find the answers where the problems actually lie. But apparently it appears that the 'friendly' attitude of the mentors towards their charges simply backfired on the team.

The players started to feel the comfort once Shaun Williams, the national game development manager, was given the job of the national team in the tour of Sri Lanka in June-July last year after the departure of Dav Whatmore. And his presence only helped the boys to find 'positives' even from the worst possible performance and this kind of attitude has continued even under Jamie Siddons.

Being positive is a good approach but it doesn't necessarily mean that you try to find positives in everything, especially from the performance in Pakistan last week.

It only helps you do even worse in the next assignment.

What many believe is that Bangladesh cricket team has been missing a hard task-master like Whatmore because no one is now worried after he gives away his wicket or fumbles in the field.

There might be a debate on the role of a coach in cricket but for Bangladesh, it is as important as having a captain out in the middle.

Just one example can be good enough to understand the importance of a coach. During Whatmore's reign, the national players once believed that they have the ability to turn the table on any team on their day. But now they have started to believe that these recent performances are what they actually are capable of.

So time has come for the authority to reassess everything before things get out of control. Our goal, the 2011 World Cup, is not too far away.
Negatively Postive

Biswajit Roy wrote a nice piece after a long time. He said everything right. I hope BCB read this article.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
He speaks the truth, and I like being realistic.

But being realistic doesn't work on these players, who are obviously low in confidence and have no clue what the hell international cricket is about. Conclusion: Siddons should try to understand the players better, and our players should toughen up a bit.
Exactly. We fans can be realistic. But not a coach.

IMO, a coach cannot be so realistic. He should always think positive not negative. If hes so realtistic, then he will not go further. Negative mindsets are worse in every field.

His job is to take our team further and make our players strong. But being so realistic will only make them weaker.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Those of us who have raised or raising children can attest to the following:

One must be loving and caring and at the same time warn the little ones from not doing something wrong. Most of the time, the loving and caring would allow the child to have a healthy mind. Too much of bet'er bari can put a permanent scar.

Saying all this, I request BCB to start fining these boys or renew the contract on performance based system. Where everyone will be paid a low amount with lots of incentives. May be a century against the big teams would get 1.5 times of the match fee and a winning knock of 50+ would get the player twice the match fee. One can devise a system that would actually place a price tag on wickets. There are many ways to motivate players. Monitary incentives is just one way.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
As long as Siddons have a plan, has a time-line, has a focus, and can show tid bit improvements along the way, I am happy. He also needs to know that he doesn't know everything and there are cultural and other barriers that he needs to overcome. Both ways need to be open minded and ready for small changes that would make the transition period better. The only advice I have is keep open communication with BCB, selectors, players, specially captain. The last two are the ones need him the most.

You said it all.

I don't know what is his plan. I hope it doesn't take another 2 yrs to see his plan working..(that time he will be gone!)
Old April 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
So you are saying coaching our national team is equivalent of raisng a kid?
My question is how old? Toddler?

Then why don't we see diapers, diaper rash lotion, formula milk and pacifier in the locker room?

And what should be the team's mitivational song?

"Hush little baby, don't say a word,: Papa's going to buy you a mockingbird..."
Old April 21, 2008, 02:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Our players are really immature and such realistic attitude may not work with these bunch of guys. They are mentally weak and someone has to keep pushing them forward. Someone needs to keep telling them they are good enough to compete in this level and coach is not doing that right now. I understand he has a plan but sometimes, you have to be a liar and give the players false vote of confidence. He did that to a certain extent with Ashraful. But when the coach says something like that to a team, it takes away pressure to perform right away. Players think it is okay to lose.
Old April 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
So you are saying coaching our national team is equivalent of raisng a kid?
My question is how old? Toddler?

Then why don't we see diapers, diaper rash lotion, formula milk and pacifier in the locker room?

And what should be the team's mitivational song?

"Hush little baby, don't say a word,: Papa's going to buy you a mockingbird..."
5+. So no formula milk, pacifiers and diapers or diaper rashes to worry about. "It's like eat Broccoli and spinich. Cause I tell you too."

Motivation song is "Captain Planet, he is the hero..."
Old April 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
5+. So no formula milk, pacifiers and diapers or diaper rashes to worry about.

Motivation song is "Captain Planet, he is the hero..."
I think some of the players may still have the problem with accident while taking nap after drinking milk. I suggest still pull-ups in the locker room, incase....
Old April 21, 2008, 02:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:

One must be loving and caring and at the same time warn the little ones from not doing something wrong. Most of the time, the loving and caring would allow the child to have a healthy mind. Too much of bet'er bari can put a permanent scar.

Saying all this, I request BCB to start fining these boys or renew the contract on performance based system. Where everyone will be paid a low amount with lots of incentives. May be a century against the big teams would get 1.5 times of the match fee and a winning knock of 50+ would get the player twice the match fee. One can devise a system that would actually place a price tag on wickets. There are many ways to motivate players. Monitary incentives is just one way.
as i had said it before, performance based system sounds all good only if there is a good performance measurement system...in a team environment, rewarding shouldn't be allowed based on individual performance in a way that encourages players to be selfish.....how good will it be when we have a century or two but the team still fails to win? this is why reward for individual performance is forbidden in a teaming environment even though without individual performances the team can't win....in a team environment the team should be rewarded based on team performance only...
Old April 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifk
as i had said it before, performance based system sounds all good only if there is a good performance measurement system...in a team environment, rewarding shouldn't be allowed based on individual performance in a way that encourages players to be selfish.....how good will it be when we have a century or two but the team still fails to win? this is why reward for individual performance is forbidden in a teaming environment even though without individual performances the team can't win....in a team environment the team should be rewarded based on team performance only...
Not necessarily. In every pro sports there are individual performance based contracts in US. Even Pro/college coaches get bonuses based on his win-lose stats each year.

To disregard selfishness one can promote partnership as a performance measurement criteria. first six batters need to be treated in one scale the others need to be treated differently.

No way individual performance can be forbidden in team environment. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Old April 21, 2008, 04:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Not necessarily. In every pro sports there are individual performance based contracts in US. Even Pro/college coaches get bonuses based on his win-lose stats each year.

To disregard selfishness one can promote partnership as a performance measurement criteria. first six batters need to be treated in one scale the others need to be treated differently.

No way individual performance can be forbidden in team environment. There are many ways to skin a cat.
performance based bonuses for the coaches make perfect sense because ultimately a team’s coach’s performance is as good as of the performance of the team but it’s not the same when it comes to individual and team performances…

you made a good point about partnerships, but when you consider partnerships you are in a way evaluating team performance instead of an individual performance because a partnership is a team work…..there can be an argument about an individual’s performance over a period vs. a single match performance because a longer period gives a better picture of performance but even then you must consider team’s overall performance prior to justifying the effectiveness of an individual performance….the bottom line is in a team event one’s individual performance is useless unless his team is benefitted of his performance…..and if you are good enough for the reward you make your team perform better with you...
Old April 21, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Great! how about this idea. What ever the individual bonus is (how little it may be) would be multiplied by a constant if the team wins. That should incorporate the team goals.

The reason I like individual bonuses on performance is we are not an elite team. Our wins are very rare against stronger opponents. If one incorporates teams winning with the bonus then the players won't get many bonuses in a year. The incentive must be a realistic one. May be even two criteria (bonus systems) for two different type of opponents. One of bigger, better, stronger opponents and one for those who are below us.

Something must be done here because to me the players have lost all motivation. They play they want to play not what the team needs. Some how controlling their natural instinct for playing 4s and 6s and putting emphasis on singles must be done. In Test cricket may be one can come up with number of balls faced on the average position by position in a series.

All I know is we can not live with Status quo. Something must change in managing these boys. Their approach is not correct. Via monetary punishment or reward this attitude needs to be changed.
Old April 21, 2008, 04:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

T_e, I agree with you that our players need incentives for their good performances when they do....btw i didn't imply in anyway that the players should be rewarded only when the team is winning......what i am saying is we need a performance measurement system that can identify our players' and team's baseline performance and then incentives should based on the improvement made on the baseline......is it impossible? absolutely not...

Last edited by sharifk; April 21, 2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old April 21, 2008, 04:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

as a captain ashraful is horrible, he always thinks about wining against big teams. If I was a captain, i would tell my players to play good cricket, we know we can't beat pakistan without luck, just play good cricket,score runs,take wickets, frustrate the paki team...that's what i would say to my players... a no 9 team can't think about wining against big teams.... ash thinks the opposite, and that produces the result........
Old April 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
Cricket Sage

oh uh... we r heading toward the dead end...need to take an U turn...
Old April 21, 2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
DW said few things that we didn't like. You all know that.

GG said few things that BCB didn't like.

Amarnath said few things that no-one liked.

Trevor said few things that we didn't like.

Mohsin Kamal did few things (didn't actually) that we didn't like.

++++

Well said...spot on there!!
Old April 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid

SAVE OUR ONE DAY SQUAD

Since Shawn Williams and Siddons took over Our Cricket team, performance have dramatically nose dived.

When the coach does not feel confident in outcome of results how will the players perform to their potential or exceed it.

Siddons is also jeopardizing the career of 3 players – Ashraful, Aftab by playing them higher up the order where they are unable to control their natural style and also failing to correct Nafees’ shortcomings which are all coach’s responsibilities.

He is also not giving a break to these players (Ashraful, Aftab) to make them realize what is going wrong and what they need to do to regain form

If BCCB is intelligent and smart it is about time Siddons is replaced as a Head coach with somebody more competent and confine him as batting coach

Our superlative performance against India , South Africa in the last world cop is now a thing of the past. At that time even with a bunch of less experienced cricketers both India and South Africa were beaten comprehensive because the team believed in themselves and super motivation imparted by Dav Whatmore. Quite a number of existing team members were present. Mind you they negotiated and blasted the famous pace attack of both India and South Africa. So who said they cannot play genuine pace. It is all a mental game and self belief of the team and Coach that they can beat the very best of the world. Dav deserves full credit for that. Siddons need to see the Video of the games to see the communication of coach with players and their level of motivation that was prevailing at that time.

We need a Hard Task master like Dav Whatmore.

We can take help of Ashraful Haq Ex Cricketer of Bangladesh and presently in an influential position in ACC to use his good offices to get a Head Coach, Bowling and Fielding Coach from South Africa or Australia.
Siddons should be strongly spoken to by BCCB to show better team peformance as he is handsomely paid to bring all round improvements.

What has been the results so far ?. Only a few improvements- that off course must be acknowledged- Tamim, Shakib, Riyad and Dhiman all improving.

But Top order – Nafees, Aftab, Ashraful – repeated failures unacceptable in any form of cricket.

Since Siddons lacks tactical knowledge/Game Plan and failed so far to produce good results as a temporary arrangement Raqibul /Aminul Islam both ex Captains could be engaged as assistant coach and have a say in selectorial matters.

BCCB should arrange practice matches and get hold of a foreign Curator to prepare fast bouncy pitches to make players adapt to it.

I am surprised that when Siddons knows our batsmen’s inability to cope with pace he has so far not recommended to BCCB to hire curators available aplenty in his home country to prepare fast bouncy pitches in Bangladesh.

Also BCCB should hire immediately Bowling coach – some names that come to my mind CurtlyAmbrose/Andy Roberts/Joel Garner/Colin Croft at least on an adhoc basis to improve the performance of our pacers which has been lacking in pace, bite and variation.

For Fielding Coach South Africa is the best Source.

I think Bangladesh has to have an Operation /Business Manager responsible for hiring
Specialized Coaches ,Curators and arranging matches ( one day/Test)

Also our players match /Contract Salary has to be Performance based. If they do good reward them . If not slap a fine or demote them from high to a low category.In that way they will be aware of their responsibilities , consequences and motivation.

Both India and Pakistan have this system in place al least with their contract system .
A case in point is Shoaib Akhter and Inzammam. They are no longer on Central Contract – Shoaib because of his controversies and inconsistent performance and Inzammam has retired – Non Playing Player.

Our One day performance which showed great promise at the last World Cup is now in serious trouble.

Whether it is Coach, Captain and non Performing players BCCB should act quick and swift to Save our status which is apparently is at stake now.

Unless a drastic change takes place we will become a laughing stock and people like Miandad will make irresponsible statements and even a chokra like Shoaib Malik will dare to undermine us by drawing comparison against Zimbabwe .
I considered very rude of Shoaib Malik to make that remark against a brotherly country and Guest.

BCCB also got to arrange ASAP one on one session with all the members of the Bangladesh team as to what went wrong.

They should immediately organize a special seminar and invite Cricket greats like Ian Chappel, Sunil Gavaskar, Naseer Hussain, Martin Crowe, Wasim Akram all great thinkers and master tacticians to put forward their suggestions.

I always believe every cloud has a silver lining. Maybe this was a good lesson for us to
shape our team in a better way.

I have my fingers crossed what BCCB has as their next course of action.

BCCB – SAVE OUR CRICKET TEAM ( AT LEAST THE ONE DAY SQUAD !, SAVE OUR FANS ! SAVE OUR COUNTRYMEN FROM SHAME !. WE ARE ALL HURT BY THE RECENT DEVELOPMENTS OF OUR CRICKET TEAM.

LET YOUR ALL ROUND EFFORTS TRANSFORM OUR TEAM(ONCE GIANT KILLERS !) TO OUR OLD DAYS OF GLORY THAT WE ALL WITNESSED IN THE LAST ONE DAY WORLD CUP.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

why didn't he say that before start of the series?
Old April 21, 2008, 08:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
why didn't he say that before start of the series?
exactly,he said we might just win 1 or 2 odi's against them,he is a liar.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
exactly,he said we might just win 1 or 2 odi's against them,he is a liar.
he was playing with our emotions. got our hopes high and saying that was a joke that we didn't get
Old April 21, 2008, 08:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
he was playing with our emotions. got our hopes high and saying that was a joke that we didn't get
yeah,to be honest i think he doesnt have the respect for bangladesh cricket.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
yeah,to be honest i think he doesnt have the respect for bangladesh cricket.
its not him, its our golden boys who doesn't have the respect