facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Default Bowling against Left Hand Batsmen

Seriously this is what I thought too all along, why dont right arm bowlers, bowl around the wicket to left hand batsmen more.

AR: The next question is from Hrishikesh from India and he says that over the years he has seen left-handed batsmen scoring heavily against the Indian team. Be it Sanath Jayasuriya or Shivnarine Chanderpaul or Andy Flower or Matt Hayden or Saeed Anwar or even Jimmy Adams - all these left-handers have dominated the Indian attack. Do you see any specific reason for this?

GB: I will have a stab at what I think is the reason. Of all the Indian bowlers that I have seen, none of them are very good at bowling around the wicket. Most bowlers are right-handed and as they are growing up, left-handers get used to 90% of the bowlers bowling over the wicket to them.

I think what you have to do is take them out of their comfort zone. They are used to bowlers bowling over the wicket and the ball slanting across them. They are good at judging their off stump; they are good at hitting through the off side - once they can free their arms, they hit you through the off side very well. I think what you have to learn to do - seamers and spinners - is bowl around the wicket and tuck them up. Give them very little room.

For instance, you take Harbhajan Singh - he is an excellent bowler over the wicket but not a great bowler around the wicket. Muttiah Muralitharan doesn't like bowling around the wicket as much as he does over the wicket. Those are the two offspinners who have done well in India, where the ball turns. Look at the seamers: how many of them are really good around the wicket? A lot of times, when they go around the wicket their line and length goes all over the place and they bowl easy balls. You take Glenn McGrath. He was a brilliant bowler around the wicket. He would go around the wicket and be spot on, around off stump and tuck the batsmen up and give them nothing to hit. I think a lot more bowlers should try bowling around the wicket to left-handers and not give them room, but bowl straight.

Shahadat who bowls so wide of the crease, should use this tactic against left handers, he will definitely be deadly with it.
Old June 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammed Asif

Well England sorted Gilly out that way, definitely a ploy Shahadat and the others can use.

And yeah, Gilly sorted England out with 56 balls or so.