facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 22, 2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid
Default Asia Cup Special( BD Past Performance, Top Teams Including BD Appraisal}

ASIA CUP SPECIAL( BD PAST PERFORMANCE, TOP TEAMS INCLUDING BD APPRAISAL)

In view of the impending Asia Cup being held in Pakistan I have deferred opening my thread on Magic moments as readers will be focused on an important event.

As an alternative I have chosen to open a thread with the title of Asia Cup Special that will provide insights on our past performance in the Asia cup and Appraisal of the cricket heavyweights India, Pakistan, Sri lanka and Bangladesh as well.

To begin lets take a look at what we have achieved so far in the previous editions of Asia Cup that was held during the period ( 1986 – 2004)

Past Performance of Bangladesh

Against India.
Played 6. Lost all matches.

Against Pakistan.
Played 6. Lost all matches

Against Sri lanka.
Played 7. Lost all matches.

Against Hong Kong.
Played 1. Won the match

The above pictures a sorry state of our performance in Asia cup so far.

However there has been some team and individual performance that has something to cheer about and may be worth mentioning here.

Highest total
Bangladesh’ highest total was made against India 249/6 in 50 overs at Dhaka on 30 May 2000

High score.
The credit of recording highest score goes to Javed Omar Belim when he scored an unconquered 89 against Srilanka on 29 May 2000.

Highest runs in Asia Cup.
Atahar Ali Khan holds the unique honor of highest runs for BD in the Asia cup
In the period 1988-1997 he has amassed 368 runs at a healthy average of 36.80 that includes 2 fifties.

Best Average.
Javed Omar is the proud owner of the record of best batting average that of 41.6 from 7 matches and that includes 3 fifties

Most fifties
Javed Omar has also scored most fifties 3 by a BD batsman in the Asia cup.

Most runs in a series.
Atahar Ali khan has the enviable record of scoring most runs by a BD batsman in a series of Asia cup . He scored 157 runs in only 3 matches with a highest score of 82 and a fantastic average of 52.33.Wow! What an awesome feat !

Bowling Accomplishments.
Most wickets.
Rafiq has taken most wickets by BD bowler in the Asia Cup tournament. He has taken 8 wickets from 8 matches.

Best bowling figures in an innings.
Saiful Islam has the best bowling figure by a BD bowler in a Asia cup match

He turned up with magical figures of 10 overs no maiden and 4 wickets for only 36 runs at an economy rate of 3.60. This memorable performance was against Sri Lanka at Sharjah on 6 Apr 1995.

Wicket Keeping records.
Most dismissals.

Khaled Masud is the holder of most dismissal by a BD wicketkeeper in the Asia cup tournaments. He has taken 11 catches and 3 stumpings in 14 matches. No mean achievement!

Fielding records
Most catches.
The most catches is held jointly by Habibul Bashar and Aminul Islam 4 each in 12 and 14 matches respectively.

Now on to the Appraisal of the cricket heavyweights India, Pakistan, Sri lanka and Bangladesh.

India

Who de we have in the team?
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicket keeper)
Yuvraj Singh
Virender Sehwag
Robin Uthappa
Gautam Gambhir
Rohit Sharma
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Irfan Pathan
Sreesanth
Ishant Sharma
Praveen Kumar
RP Singh
Piyush Chawla
Pragyan Ojha

Battingwise this team has as many as 5 Master Blasters in the likes of Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Mahendra Singh Dhoni , Yusuf Pathan, Rohit Sharma who can single handedly win India a game and each of thm has skills and the capability to demolish any bowling attack.In short India looks deadly and very threatening.

Their bowling department is equally fabulous :They have a New kid on the Block by the name of Praveen Kumar.

Has already proved a match winner with his inimitable style of bowling. He has masterminded the downfall of the redoubtable Aussies not long ago and by virtue of which India became the first country to beat the Aussies on their den.

Then there is Ishant Sharma who was almost unplayable by Ponting and also a proven match winner. Sreesanth has wicket taking abilities plus his extra match antics also aids to unsettle opposing batsmen. Then off course not to forget Irfan Pathan who is still a force to reckon with.

They are well aided by excellent fieldsman like Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma and of course Yuvraj who is world class.

Last but not the least the magical leadership of Mahendra Singh Dhoni has already proved that he is the best in One day and 20 20 Captain in Asia.

India has shown their class in the ‘ Kitply Cup’ Tri nation series in Dhaka when they easily outclassed Pakistan in the first match and also made short work of Bangladesh.

Pakistan had the last laugh in the final due to some incredible batting by Younis Khan and solid support from Salman Butt.

My Prediction India Sure Shot Champion unless Pakistan or Sri lanka upsets them with some superlative performance which can happen in One day cricket.

Pakistan.
Who do they have?
Shoaib Malik (captain)
Younis Khan
Muhammed Yousuf
Shahid Afridi
Salman Butt
Misbahul Haq
Sohail Tanveer
Fawad Alam
Sarfaraz Ahmed (wicket keeper)
Umer Gul
Nasir Jamshed
Mansoor Amjad
Rao Iftekhar
Wahab Riaz
Saeed Ajmal

Battingwise less threatening then India as their batting lacks depth compared to India.

They do have three superstars in the likes of Younis Khan, Muhammed Yousuf and Misbahul Haq who can demolish any attack with ease .However their main concern is Shahid Afrid in terms of batting as he has been out form for a while and looks a shawdow of his former self.

On the plus side Salman Butt had been outstanding with the bat holding one end and allowing later batsmen to play their strokes.

But their bowling department lacks depth with 2 of their key pacemen not playing due to various reasons.

However having said that Sohel Tanveer and Umar Gul is capable of doing enough damage to opposing team. They are well supported by Rao Iftiqar and Shahid Afridi can be deadly in his spell .

Fielding looks much better.

Overall less threatening than India But as we all know on their day they can beat the best in the world and that they proved by beating formidable India in the final of ‘ Kitply Cup ‘ triangular

Sr lanka
Who do we have?
Mahela Jayawardene
Kumar Sangakkara
Sanath Jayasuriya
Muttiah Muralitharan
Chaminda Vaas
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Dilhara Fernando
Chamara Kapugedera
Nuwan Kulasekara
Ajantha Mendis
Thilan Thushara
Jehan Mubarak
Chamara Silva
Mahela Udawatte
Kaushalya Weeraratne
Farveez Maharoof

Sri lanka are presently in their rebuilding stage and have blooded several youngsters. But some of the veterans are still there like Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara ,Mahela Jayawardene , Muttiah Muralitharan.

We all know on their day Sanath Jayasuriya and Mahela Jayawardene battingwise and Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas could be match winners.

Fieldingwise they are head and shoulder ahead of India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. That is indeed an added advantage for them. So I am not ruling them out.

The concern is that they have a bunch of youngsters with not much experience and to play and play well against formidable bowling attacks of India and Pakistan can be challenging .

Bangladesh
Who do we have?
Mohammad Ashraful (Captain)
Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (Vice Captain)
Shahriar Nafee Ahmed
Alok Kapali
Abdur Razzak
Tamim Iqbal
Mahmudullah Riyad
Farhad Reza
Nazim Uddin
Roqibul Hassan
Shahadat Hossain
Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper)
Mehrab Hossain (Jr.)
Dollar Mahmud
Musharraf Hossain

Bangladesh with new relatively new Coach is in the rebuilding stage with a lot of newcomers.
The absence of Key allrounder Saqib and a dependable opening partner for Tamim has hurt the team badly .

However with an excellent new find Raqibul and new paceman Dollar Mahmud with reasonably good performance , Razzaq hitting form and wonderful comeback from Alok augurs well for the team.

One hopes Siddons will set higher goals for the team like scoring 275 and above.
In that way even if the team does not achieve that it will strive to get a higher total.

On hopes BD Cricket team will be able to put a better performance and advance to the second round.

All the best to participating teams.

May the best team win.

Our prayers are with BD team.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!
Old June 24, 2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Good Info.
Old June 24, 2008, 02:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib; Tamim; Riyad

Thank you for all that info and analysis... it was a really good read...
Old June 24, 2008, 04:35 AM
BC T20 WC 2012 Fantasy League Winner

ehteshamul brother really nice read! Next please!
Old June 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
Thank you for all that info and analysis... it was a really good read...

THANKS!

Hello Foozy,

Thanks for the Feedback and appreciation.

It really inspires me to do better

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Whatever THE MIND OF MAN can CONCEIVE and BELIEVE it can ACHIEVE – Napolean Hill
Old June 24, 2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Knockout_U
ehteshamul brother really nice read! Next please!

THANKS!

Hello I_Knockout_U Bhaiyya,

There are more threads in the pipeline on interesting topics.

Just watch for my new threads that normally is opened on Saturday or Sunday

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Whatever THE MIND OF MAN can CONCEIVE and BELIEVE it can ACHIEVE – Napolean Hill
Old June 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Good Info.
THANKS!

Hello BD-Shardul Bhaiyya,

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Old June 24, 2008, 08:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

ehteshamul, you are an awesom man, simply because you don't uselessly bash people/team/anyone in this forum like some other influential people do.. taking anger out on siddons etc. etc. etc.

you truly understand that Bangladesh cricket is a gift and it should be enjoyed as such. anything great is simply a bonus and something to cherish ad celebrate not criticize!

uselessly calling players names is not part of your habit because it contributed to the negative energy which bangladesh is constantly influenced by because we face challenging oppositions so often and in every match, players literally give their life just for our entertainment. i really appreciate your positivity!

you are definitely one of my favorite members now
Old June 24, 2008, 11:00 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
ami? ami? ami?
Old June 25, 2008, 03:08 AM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
ehteshamul, you are an awesom man, simply because you don't uselessly bash people/team/anyone in this forum like some other influential people do.. taking anger out on siddons etc. etc. etc.

you truly understand that Bangladesh cricket is a gift and it should be enjoyed as such. anything great is simply a bonus and something to cherish ad celebrate not criticize!

uselessly calling players names is not part of your habit because it contributed to the negative energy which bangladesh is constantly influenced by because we face challenging oppositions so often and in every match, players literally give their life just for our entertainment. i really appreciate your positivity!

THANKS!

Hello Rifat Bhaiyya ,

I have observed that you are one of the few readers who have great insights of cricket and BD cricket in particular and I am very impressed with your contribution in different posts in Bangla cricket forum.

Your kind words and appreciation really inspires me and gives me great satisfaction.

Honestly I am one of your fans and enjoy reading our posts.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Every ADVERSITY, every FAILURE and every HEARTACHE carries with it the SEED of an equivalent or a greater BENEFIT - Napolean Hill
Old June 25, 2008, 03:14 AM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
ami? ami? ami?
THANKS!

Hello Gopal Bhar Bhaiyya ,

That was a good one.

Keep going!

All the best.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Every ADVERSITY, every FAILURE and every HEARTACHE carries with it the SEED of an equivalent or a greater BENEFIT - Napolean Hill
Old July 1, 2008, 07:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Thanks Bhaya, for this interesting post and all the statistics which accompanies this analysis. I am not too keen on the Asia Cup, especially playing in that killing heat in Pakistan. What is the purpose of the Asia Cup? Also the Afro asia Cup. It is a waste of time and energy. I feel that they should all be scrapped.

Ehteshamul, you are truly a clear thinking person, you choose your words very carefully, you do not bash any one in this forum, you even respond very politely to negative thoughts about other people's posts and tries reasoning.

I agree with Rifat here when he says that: "Quote"

you truly understand that Bangladesh cricket is a gift and it should be enjoyed as such. anything great is simply a bonus and something to cherish and celebrate not criticize!
P.S. On one of the trivias during the commentator's comments, he did mention that Ashraful is the youngest player to have a test century debut in the history of the game. BD should be proud of that.
uselessly calling players names is not part of your habit because it contributed to the negative energy which bangladesh is constantly influenced by because we face challenging oppositions so often and in every match, players literally give their life just for our entertainment. i really appreciate your positivity!" End of Quote."

I am also upset at the players performance at time, but we are not the ones in the middle, e.g. yesterday's match against Sri Lanka. Those boys got hammered and devastated by Jayasuriya, running after those balls, fielding in that killing heat, that should be enough to sap physical and mental energy. I did not watch BD's batting, but I knew that they would collapse but was hoping for a score of 200.by the time, SL had finished batting BD lads were already drained of all life and was demoralized.
A clear thinking cricket enthusiast senses this and thus judges for himself. This happened in one of the test matches between Sl and England at Galle Stadium recently.
England was fielding in that hot sun and humidity whilst jAYAWARDENA was wasting time at the wicket, eventually declared, then sent in england to bat and skittled them out for less than 70 runs. Now, i dont know if our members here saw that, but that was a clear example of physical and mental exhaustion, and imagine a team like England folding in a test match for less than 100 runs.
In my heart, I sympathize with these lads, they still did well to pick up 8 wickets after getting jayasuria out and kept down the score, I thought for sure that SL will reach 400 runs.

you are definitely one of my favorite members now .

Keep up the good work of trying to bring a semblance of peace and good humour on this forum. Your posts give me a lot of insight into BD cricket.

Cheers

Allah Hafez
Old July 1, 2008, 07:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

Very good analysis, but the statement - "an excellent new find Raqibul and new paceman Dollar Mahmud with reasonably good performance"- I would say that Raqubul has shown excellent performance, no doubt but Dollar Mahmud with reasonable good performance? I really don't see it. I haven't seen him performing well in any of the ODIs he played, as a matter of fact he really did quite bad.
Old July 1, 2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Yorker
Very good analysis, but the statement - "an excellent new find Raqibul and new paceman Dollar Mahmud with reasonably good performance"- I would say that Raqubul has shown excellent performance, no doubt but Dollar Mahmud with reasonable good performance? I really don't see it. I haven't seen him performing well in any of the ODIs he played, as a matter of fact he really did quite bad.
THANKS !

Hello The_Yorker Bhaiyya,

Thanks for the feedback and input.

The performance appraisal of Dollar was purely based on his performance at the Kitply series where he impressed initially by his wicket taking abilities.

However he has been a disaster in the Asia Cup going for Zillions of runs.

We do not have a Bowling Coach who could have fixed his issues and that of other bowlers who are having a torrid time at the Asia Cup.

He needs to have more exposure by playing for Bangladesh A. He is not ready for to play for BD Senior team at International Level.

Hope this Helps.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Old July 2, 2008, 09:12 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Excellent analysis!!

For Dolar, he has no fault. The selectors don't have clue. He is just too young. And also the media potraying him as 2nd Narail Express etc. etc.

Raqibul, Great find. Consider the placid wicket and unknown in the intl arena. However, his concentration level is 10 folds more than Ash, Aftab. That itself is a bonus for BD team.

++++

I have a feeling Pakistan'er kopaley kharapi asey Bangladesh'er against'a.

This Asia cup is a bit of success for BD even though we lost almost all games. We have broken our previous marks in many categories. Such as highest scores (team and individual), # of centuries, # of 50's (individual and team) etc. All batting stats. So we know we are still lacking in bowling or the wickets are too placid.
Old July 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

This Asia cup is a bit of success for BD even though we lost almost all games. We have broken our previous marks in many categories. Such as highest scores (team and individual), # of centuries, # of 50's (individual and team) etc. All batting stats. So we know we are still lacking in bowling or the wickets are too placid.
plus, with just one game to go, we haven't recorded a single duck yet.

not even from the tail enders!!!
I drop knowledge so heavy it leaves the world unbalanced, exterminating the spiritual force of all that challenge, I'm the lyrical apocalypse that crumbles the granite, replacing you as the dominant species on the planet.
Old July 2, 2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

lol we have been getting that same feeling against Pak for like I lost count, but no luck. I would say success percent would be .01%, w.e. that means. But if we win against Pak or loose close it will be 10%. The performances against Lankans really dampers the success rate.