facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 5, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default Ranatunga enjoins big Asian countries to help Bangladesh

From www.ptinews.com: (http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite...5?OpenDocument)

Quote:

Karachi, July 5 (PTI) Former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga has adjured the big three teams of Asia --India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka -- to help Bangladesh lift the standard of their game at the international level.
Ranatunga, the outgoing president of the Asian Cricket council (ACC), expressed satisfaction at the progress made by Bangladesh cricket but felt they can improve further if the big Asian countries join hands to help the neighbours.

"If you take all the three big Asian countries, we all have won World Cup which shows our superiority which is an achievement. Others are not that lucky, so cricket wise if you analyse, we are doing well. In fact Bangladesh are improving too so I am very happy about Asian countries progress.

"But I do believe that in Asia we should try to get Bangladesh up to our standards and that's what we are determined to do," Ranatunga said.

Bangladesh is the fourth Test playing nation in the region but has fared poorly in Tests and one-dayers so far, failing to win any game against the big three in the Asia Cup tournament.

Ranatunga also said although Pakistan had hosted a successful Asia Cup but hosting Champions trophy was altogether a different ball game.

"I think, we never had any problems with the Asia Cup being held in Pakistan and we had no problems sending our side to Pakistan . But the ICC Champions Trophy is a totally different tournament.

"It will have big teams unlike the Asia Cup, so one has to be patient to see how it goes. It is normal procedure that not only western countries but every country wants to be sure about its players safety," he said. PTI
Old July 5, 2008, 08:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Interesting article,Electriquiem. Wonder how exactly he wants the other countries to help. Would they listen to him?
For one thing, India could take a few of our bowlers to the MRF Pace Bowling Academy every year and train them. Hosting us for tests is long overdue. Our A team and different other teams could play matches with them throughout the year.They could also help train coaches and umpires in mass. Hosting Asia Cup more regularly would also help us.
Old July 5, 2008, 08:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Honestly, I don't think this "enjoining" amounts to much ... I don't anticipate any of the other Asian countries doing anything significant to really improve our cricketing structure.

But then again...we should not NEED help or "pity"! Why can't we be self-sufficient!?
Old July 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default arrogant

seems like an arrogant statement by Arjuna. Doesn't say how he would help.
Old July 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Bangladesh needs every bit of help offered by other test playing countries. Being neighbours it would be a much welcomed gesture if Ind/Pak/SL offer to help improve our cricket standard. Bangladesh is incapable of producing consistently competitive international cricketers from its own domestic league.
Old July 6, 2008, 12:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

according to a lot of indian fans, they think we bangladeshis are quite arrogant because apparently the BCB has rejected BCCI offers for us to send teams to the ranji trophy or the duleep trophy.

does anyone know if this is true or just pro BCCI propoganda?

if it is true, then the BCB has dropped the ball.
Old July 6, 2008, 04:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
according to a lot of indian fans, they think we bangladeshis are quite arrogant because apparently the BCB has rejected BCCI offers for us to send teams to the ranji trophy or the duleep trophy.

It is true, the BCCI had approached the BCB twice on the issue.They rejected it once and the other time they sent some sort of 'A' team captained by Ashraful which was thrashed badly. I don't think we should send our national team but send a team consisting young national stars like Tamim Iqbal, Raqibul Hasan, Mushfiq, Shahadat and 'A' team players like Zunaed, Rajin, Naeem.
Old July 6, 2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
It is true, the BCCI had approached the BCB twice on the issue.They rejected it once and the other time they sent some sort of 'A' team captained by Ashraful which was thrashed badly. I don't think we should send our national team but send a team consisting young national stars like Tamim Iqbal, Raqibul Hasan, Mushfiq, Shahadat and 'A' team players like Zunaed, Rajin, Naeem.
It is true ? Bdchamps bhai, can you verify it? Cause, if it is true then BCB is more at fault then we think they are.
Old July 7, 2008, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
Interesting article,Electriquiem. Wonder how exactly he wants the other countries to help. Would they listen to him?
For one thing, India could take a few of our bowlers to the MRF Pace Bowling Academy every year and train them. Hosting us for tests is long overdue. Our A team and different other teams could play matches with them throughout the year.They could also help train coaches and umpires in mass. Hosting Asia Cup more regularly would also help us.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Old July 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
I think they already do that. But i am not sure who is bearing the expense but many bowlers from BD went to MRF. I think Mash and IEPatan was room mate when both of them went there... The thing is i think our bowlers went their for short visit which needs to be changed...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old July 7, 2008, 05:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

I believe those guys are just being typical ignorant Indian fans. Bangladesh was never invited to play in Ranji. Our team was invited and played in Moin-ud Dowlah Gold Cup before test status days. After gaining test status, BCCI had once invited our team to play in Duleep trophy, but after our horrible performance in that tournament, they never bothered to invite us again.

However, I agree with those who say BCB should not have shown the arrogance of not sending a full strength Bangladesh team to Duleep trophy. I guess we were too full of ourselves after winning the test and ODI series against Zimbabwe-B.