facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 24, 2008, 03:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....
Default Fighting Corruption: A Reality Check

Bangladesh has been fighting corruption that piled over past years. Total country has been stuck with corruption in every single step of life. Govt offices, law and order, business, sports and all other aspects of life is severely hurt due to this problem. At the start of 2007, a good move against corruption gave us hope again to live as a corruption-free country.

After 20 months of the fight we must check the success of this fight.
Is it working good enough? If not what are the hurdles on the road for a corruption-free Bangladesh? These questions need to be answered properly.

First of all, our govt salary structure is too poor in comparison with our high cost of living . Let us give an example. A Sub Inspector in Dhaka doesn't get more than 8000 BDT as salary. What does his family eat, where do they live, what do they wear and where do his children study? This is not only the case of a law and order officer, but also true for most of the govt employees.

Recent hike in price of food, living and other daily necessary things made the situation even worse. Price of avg quality rice is more than 40 BDT/KG. Price of soyabean oil went to 120 BDT/ litre which was 58 BDT/ litle just a 2 years back. Similar situation is prevailing for most of the necessary things.

Govt seem to lost control over the market and the businessmen. Another example can be given here. CNG buses had been charging extra fair from the very beginning. They increased the fair with the increase of price of CNG. Yet they once again increased the fair with the increase of diesel and other fuels which is totally illogical. Govt couldn't do any thing at all about this or may be they don't bother at all.

This way life is getting tough every day here for general people. I personally am lucky to have the opportunity to live an honest life due to my profession. But this is not the case of every body living here. If you cannot give a citizen sufficient opportunities for living a honest life then it's really not possible to control corruption. You can punish corrupted politicians and businessmen because they did corruption to be rich. But if general people are bound to be engaged with it how can you control it?

Last edited by WarWolf; August 25, 2008 at 05:25 AM..
Old August 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Anti-corruption commission should give some pressure on the govt about economic issues. Without improvement of this problem i don't any hope to improve at all..
Old August 25, 2008, 01:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Corruption can not be eraded unless judiciary branch is detached and run as an Autonomy.
Old August 25, 2008, 01:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Corruption can not be eraded unless judiciary branch is detached and run as an Autonomy.
Even if that can be made successful yet I see no improvement unless we can have a good balance between average income and average expenditure.
Old August 25, 2008, 03:40 PM
Cricket Sage

fficeffice" />

The five Pillars of corruption in ffice:smarttags" />Bangladesh...

1) Politician - The usual suspect
2) Businessman - The bloodstream that supply the corrupted blood
3) Law enforcement/Judicial system (Police, Custom, Judge, RAB, etc) - another ususal suspect
4) Bureaucrats - The brain of corruption
5) The Army, Navy and Air force ( past and present members) - The nail in the coffin
Old August 25, 2008, 11:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Good post by Warwolf. As much as I hate bribery, i can understand where govt burucreats earning TK 10k monthly can become bribe-takers......
Obviously what i dont condone or understand is when someone like Harris Chowdhury becomes crore-pati through bribery.

But at lower jobs, it is understandable.
Old August 26, 2008, 03:19 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
But at lower jobs, it is understandable.
No it's not. Speaking as the son of a Govt. Employee who at one point used to walk 3-4 miles each way to school to save my parents the Tk5 rickshaw fare, speaking as someone who used to go scrounge cheap news-print reams and bind his own copy-books because parents couldn't afford the fancy note-books, I say a stand can be made. If thousands of civil workers all of a sudden lost the veneer of gentility and started showing up in work in shabby/torn garments and their kids were dropping out of school, then we'd perhaps be forced to address the root cause. We in BD to often get into a keeping up with the Joneses game. I remember the huge pressures on my parents to do so.
Old August 26, 2008, 03:19 AM
BC Editorial Team

BTW the big-name পুকুর চুরি is even more despicable
Old August 26, 2008, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
No it's not. Speaking as the son of a Govt. Employee who at one point used to walk 3-4 miles each way to school to save my parents the Tk5 rickshaw fare, speaking as someone who used to go scrounge cheap news-print reams and bind his own copy-books because parents couldn't afford the fancy note-books, I say a stand can be made. If thousands of civil workers all of a sudden lost the veneer of gentility and started showing up in work in shabby/torn garments and their kids were dropping out of school, then we'd perhaps be forced to address the root cause. We in BD to often get into a keeping up with the Joneses game. I remember the huge pressures on my parents to do so.
I said it is "understandable", not that it is "justified".

While your father's honesty is commendable, you have to realize that there are many people who may have been in somewhat similar situations, and resorted to petty bribes....not that its right, but it definitely is more understandable than a CEO earning 10m a year and yet trying to get more through corrupt means...
Old August 26, 2008, 03:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Excellent post Razab bhai.
Old June 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Bumping another thread back. Nothing changed about corruption.
Old June 17, 2009, 12:29 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Corruption is so deeply integrated into every single aspect of our culture,economy and society, that it would not just fade off.

It would take generations for that change to happen.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Corruption is so deeply integrated into every single aspect of our culture,economy and society, that it would not just fade off.

It would take generations for that change to happen.
I doubt. Current young generations grow up watching their dads earning speed money, living lavish life. They don't get the feeling that earning this way is immoral and bad. So I am afraid we will see even dirtier face of corruption in near future.
Old June 17, 2009, 12:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This trend can change if only we believe. Societies has changed in matter of years in the history. Let alone generation.

Being accountable to a higher authority can make this change. It can be drastic. But there will be struggle among the ones who don't want to change (the haves). A small price to pay to save the country (world).
Old June 17, 2009, 09:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Compromise and trade-offs of the honest middle class lot has been pushed so hard since liberation that it has become a culture now to assume for any of the five pillar members of Fazal that the previous are going to acclimatize towards whatever those suggest or force them to do. If in any case in any of them at any point denies to follow mishaps starts occurring around that person, underground phone calls pop up in land line and cell phones, trouble starts to show up everything he/she and his close family members try to do and at last either gives up or perishes as a loser of the society,

Last edited by One World; June 17, 2009 at 09:56 PM..