facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2008, 12:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default The Post Apocalypse: What We Should Do Now

OK, whats done is done, but how we handle the situation is of utmost importance.

These are my thoughts and how I see them. Please opine with your thoughts, and Miraz bhai, perhaps you can relay pertinent information to the powers that be within the BCB.

First and Most Important

Who's next?

BCB should arrange a meeting with all players and ask them who else would leave if contacted by the ICL. Clearly, we have better players than the guys leaving. BCB should do everything in their power to achieve three things:

1) Convince the retired players to change their minds

2) Convince the remaining players to observe their patriotic duty and stay on

3) Demand the ICC to allow Bangladesh special consideration given our cricketing weakness. This should allow our ICL players to be treated no differently than if they had joined the IPL. This is necessary. Aftab leaving Bangladesh is 10 times more detrimental than Shane Bond leaving New Zealand.

Other Thoughts

1) Bashar should be let go, and applauded for making a wise career decision. We wish him the best.

2) Aftab, SN, Farhad, and Dhiman are the real losses, with the former two being of catastrophic levels. Everyone else is gravy.

3) ICC will NOT revoke our Test status no matter how poorly we play in the near future.

4) However, we may become a marginalized team like Pakistan or New Zealand. Teams may refuse to play us in Tests like Australia just did, and we may lose our Test status in a de facto manner. BCB must demand assurances from the ICC and the other boards that they will adhere to the FTP schedule in a reasonable fashion.

BCCI: The Real Criminals

Maybe they didn't intend to do it this way, but nonetheless the deed is done, and the damage will be wreaked. The BCCI's insistance on banning the ICL are directly responsible for this destruction of whatever cricket we have or had. Again, the BCB must exhaust all resources to retain any player that leaves for the ICL. If need be the government should step in to save the only international sporting symbol the country has.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old September 14, 2008, 12:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
3) Demand the ICC to allow Bangladesh special consideration given our cricketing weakness. This should allow our ICL players to be treated no differently than if they had joined the IPL. This is necessary. Aftab leaving Bangladesh is 10 times more detrimental than Shane Bond leaving New Zealand.
I thought we were screaming our lungs out for same right as any other test nations.
So, why would the ICC care to give us special consideration in this matter?
If they have to give it to us , whats wrong with any other budding/ageing cricketer from any other country?

Didnt you have enough of the free ride?

Quote:
4) However, we may become a marginalized team like Pakistan or New Zealand. Teams may refuse to play us in Tests like Australia just did, and we may lose our Test status in a de facto manner. BCB must demand assurances from the ICC and the other boards that they will adhere to the FTP schedule in a reasonable fashion.
Your own line contradicts your early statement. You want everyone else to treat us the same but want special consideration at the same time!!

Quote:
Its not they changed the law for BD players only. The law is simple and uniform for all countries. Only Indian market is big enough to sustain 2 simultenous leagues.

Lets face it, if BCCI is bankrolling one of them leagues, surely they would want to see thier competitor go down. They have the arsenals in hand, and is doing exactly what they should do in this competittive global market.

Dont blame BCCI for everything that happens.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Have ICC made a rule to BAN players who plays ICL?? Is it a written rule or just a rule which every board is just practicing for not to go in clash with BCCI??
Old September 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
Cricket Legend

BCB should make firm stand. No compromise. If one wants to go let him go. It is now time to self evaluation. What went wrong? Who were the ICL contact in Bangladesh? as I said in another thread nobody is indispensable and we actually lose anyone bar Dhiman. And please don't blame BCCI for this fiasco. BCCI did what was their best interest. It is better BCB lined up with ECB, SACB, WICB and overturn the banning of ICL enlisted player. however even if the ban is overturned BCB should ensure that these 'rotten apple' remain persona non grata in all BCB enlisted tournament, facilities even as spectator
Old September 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

My main worry ....

Bangladesh bashers will try to use this players exodus to temporarily suspend Bangladesh's Test sataus.

This is why BCB must act quickly and firmly. They are not our best players, we can still make a 15 member squad with national players who have played for Bangladesh over the last 12 months. This is a loss, but a vested group might try to portary it as a much bigger loss.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

rabz,

survival is "by any means neccessary". plain and simple.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
My main worry ....

Bangladesh bashers will try to use this players exodus to temporarily suspend Bangladesh's Test sataus.

This is why BCB must act quickly and firmly. They are not our best players, we can still make a 15 member squad with national players who have played for Bangladesh over the last 12 months. This is a loss, but a vested group might try to portary it as a much bigger loss.
Yes...Just what happened with Zimbabwe.....and nowadays our performance is not that good as before....also all these can take the concentration away from the New-Zealand tour as well and degrade our performance even worse........

A quick and correct measures should be taken.....most importantly need to show good performance against NZ....as all BD bashers will eagerly waiting to see how poorly we perform to make this ICL a much more bigger issue
Old September 14, 2008, 12:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Agree with Miraz bhai and thebest bhai.

Jegulo retire korse ar ICL join kortese.. ekta o ar temon important players na. THey are not our best players. Dhiman was looking good. But not that good.

Eto chintar kichu nai. Ja hoi valor jonnei hoi.

We have good replacements for them. And I am pretty sure they will do much better than them.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:41 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
They are already doing it.
Ian Chappel already pointed out that Bangladesh would have to field a third string team if ICL can have thier way.

But the truth is, Aftab was out of the team for injury and his absense was not felt that heavily.
SN was out of form, plus we hv Zunaed and others to pair with Tamim.
Alok was never considered permanently, despite his 100 against India.
Dhiman is a good prospect, but we have Mushy.
Rubel, well, we have too many SLA's in the team.
Nizam, good for him.
Baisya, im glad he signed that contact.

The rookies? plain stupidity.

As i already mentioned in other thread, pure show of Bengali mentality.
Looking for easy way out, short term goal, no hard work.

You can only go so far with that attitude.

AF, point noted.

Last edited by Rabz; September 14, 2008 at 01:09 PM..
Old September 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
They are already doing it.
Ian Chappel already pointed out that Bangladesh would have to field a third string team if ICL can have thier way.

But the truth is, Aftab was out of the team for injury and his absense was not felt that heavilyl.
SN was out of form, plus we hv Zunaed and others to pair with Tamim.
Alok was never considered permanently, despite his 100 against India.
Dhiman is a good prospect, but we have Mushy.
Rubel, well, we have too many SLA's in the team.
Nizam, good for him.
Baisya, im glad he signed that contact.

The rookies? plain stupidity.

As i already mentioned in other thread, pure show of Bengali mentality.
Looking for easy way out, short term goal, no hard work.

You can only go so far with that attitude.

AF, point noted.
Wonderful post. 100% agree.
Old September 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Atleast I will get to see Baishya play again. I will miss Aftab and SN.

Hopefully this is the end and no other player signs with ICL.

Like Tamim, Mash.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan

Quote:

Maybe they didn't intend to do it this way, but nonetheless the deed is done, and the damage will be wreaked. The BCCI's insistance on banning the ICL are directly responsible for this destruction of whatever cricket we have or had. Again, the BCB must exhaust all resources to retain any player that leaves for the ICL. If need be the government should step in to save the only international sporting symbol the country has.
ICC? who/what is that?
BAN need to talk to BCCI but considering how they have acted in the past its highly unlikely that they will agree with the BCB.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I
Lets face it, if BCCI is bankrolling one of them leagues, surely they would want to see thier competitor go down. They have the arsenals in hand, and is doing exactly what they should do in this competittive global market.

Dont blame BCCI for everything that happens.

Rabz, this is an unfair competition as any modern economic student will tell you. Infact it is not a competition at all. BCCI was trying to creat a monopoly of their own. If market forces were to be the determining factor (as in a competition it is ) let take such policy of discouraging players.

I say work out with NZ and West Indies and Southafrica, England. Next year there will be a team from Colombo if there can be one from Dhaka this year, may be then from London, or Kingston. If all of BCCB can pull enough diplomatic strings I see BCCI loosing the vote.

ICC must be get ridden of all sort bias , what we have successfully done was shift the power of ICC from English to Indians. And this is sad as nither is desirable
Old September 14, 2008, 01:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
My main worry ....

I dont understand this. You guys are trying to take it as if okay fine, no big loss for us. But its a loss to me. Every single of our player should be able to play for us. Why would we have to give in to BCCI's unfair and completely unscrupulous decision????

The process doesnot end here. this is the beginning only. What if next year or the year after more players from national team gets ICL or another group. What happens then? Bangladesh cricket will miss another few. so is this trend going to continue.?????
Old September 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
They couldn't care less
Sports Reporter

"They don't think of us, so why should we think of them?"

This is how left-arm spinner Mosharraf Hossain reacted when asked who would replace him after he, along with five others, decided to play in the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL).

A local daily reported yesterday that six national players, among fourteen, have been offered a place in the ICL payroll as part of a team called Dhaka Warriors, fashioned like the Lahore Badshahs led by former Pakistan captain Inzamamul Haq.

Apart from Mosharraf, former captain Habibul Bashar, dashing batsman Aftab Ahmed, opener Shahriar Nafees, allrounder Forhad Reza and wicketkeeper Dhiman Ghosh have announced their retirement from all forms of cricket and submitted not-too-clear letters to the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB).

They are expected to take home something close to $ 200,000 each after signing three-year contracts.

So is it money that drew them out of the opportunity to play for their country? Mosharraf showed other reasons.

"I wasn't enjoying my time (in the last year) whether I was playing or not playing for Bangladesh," confided the tall left-armer, adding that he had an uncertain future.

The 27-year-old Mosharraf was touted as Mohammad Rafique's heir apparent but a single wicket in three ODIs against South Africa earlier this year and no contribution with the bat made one of the selectors admit that he cracks under pressure, although he was handpicked for his evidential ability to perform under pressure for Dhaka.

More disgruntled was Nafees it seems.

"There was a lot of anger, frustration and complaint behind this decision. I will reveal all of this in due course of time because I am no longer part of the code of conduct," said Nafees who added that he will come out of retirement only when he desires.

"I made it to the national team after working for ten years and I know, there's a lot of pride of playing for Bangladesh but at this moment, I don't feel good to play cricket," said the left-handed opener.

He confirmed that he hasn't confirmed the ICL offer even though he has received it.

"I have been offered but I haven't confirmed anything. My main focus is education and I want to complete my MBA in the next one-and-a-half years," said Nafees.

Former captain Bashar, who led the Tigers in 18 Tests and 69 ODIs, found it hard to draw this conclusion.

"It was a tough decision," he said. "I shed a lot of tears while deciding and I have many, many reasons."

He criticised Jamie Siddons's stance on him and said that he was almost left alone.

"The situation was getting difficult for me. I wasn't receiving support from anyone. Even the coach's attitude was discouraging and I was in the middle of a lot of uncertainty and I was out of cricket for seven months," added Bashar.

He also alleged that most players were unhappy with the current management.

"After thinking of all this, I thought it would be best to take up this offer. I don't know about the others but all I know is that nobody is happy," concluded Bashar of his explanation.

The biggest surprises in the retirement list were the likes of Dhiman Ghosh and Aftab Ahmed and the explanation given by the wicketkeeper, in all seriousness, was laughable.

"There are lots of other players," said Dhiman when asked of the void he would leave in his discipline.

"Why did they drop me if I was the country's number one wicketkeeper?" Dhiman demanded to know.

He also alleged that he was always reminded of Mushfiqur Rahim's presence and that his place would be taken.

On the other hand, Aftab's beautiful prospect as one of the batting superstars in the country will forever be dented.

Now, their future hangs by the tiniest thread. Even if they back out and don't sign a fat paycheck with ICL, they will forever be remembered as the first batch of players to have retired with the intention to play in the rebel Indian league.
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=54862
Old September 14, 2008, 01:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Looks like they wanted a permanent place in the team!!

I knew they were immature, but did not know they are that naive.
Dhiman's comment of being reminded of Mushy's presence is just utter stupidity.

Rest my case.

Tomorrow is a new day.
Old September 14, 2008, 01:24 PM
Cricket Savant

I think they are forming micro-unions amongst players. politix er upor politix. shame.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

what should we do now?

angul chosha ar ICL dekha
Old September 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
High ranking officials of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) met immediately to discuss the issue. They later gave off the impression of not wanting to lose so many front-line players at one time - - something that would create a vacuum in a pipeline where quality players are already slim pickings.

However, the BCB confirmed that there will be no shirking of punishment that is set to be imposed on the players for following such a personal agenda and setting aside national goals.

"It was stated by the players that they intend to retire from all forms of international and domestic cricket for a certain period of time but the reasons for their intention to retire were not stated in their respective letters," said Gazi Ashraf Hossain, chairman of the cricket operations committee, after the meeting.

"The board attaches great importance to the matter and expresses its concern at the abrupt decision by so many players to retire from the game and that's why we tried to talk to them over telephone but nobody responded. We then messaged them to attend a meeting on Tuesday," he added.

"We are hopeful that the interaction will give us a good solution. Still officially we don't know whether they have taken the decision for ICL but one thing is clear that there is a common guideline and we will implement it without any hesitation if any player takes part in this competition," Ashraf warned.

The former national captain said that they were shocked and the event was unexpected especially at a time when they were trying to arrange something for the players to make sure that they will earn more money as well as gain international exposure.

"It was shocking and unexpected. Interestingly we had a meeting with Indian board official Lalit Modi during the ICC award ceremony where he promised to confirm minimum three Bangladeshi player's participation in the IPL during April-May next year."

"On the other hand we have a chance to participate in the T20 Champions League in 2010. And all this effort has been taken to make sure our players get more money and international exposure," he informed.
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=54861
Old September 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Some of you guys are conviniently blaming the BCCI ( which I think has no role in this) and are giving a clean chit to the BCB.

Bashar leaving for the ICL is not a surprise but younsters like SN,Aftab and even Dhiman (I think he is the greatest loss) who are on the fringes or currently playing is a fiasco for BCB.

The ICL could not muster even 3rd Grade Indian cricketers, even Pak got away with Oldies or others who had no hope of making it to the Pak team.

ICL was desperate to get 'a Team' and BCB offered them easy pickings !! If there is anyone to blame it is the BCB !!!
Old September 14, 2008, 01:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Atleast I will get to see Baishya play again. I will miss Aftab and SN.

Hopefully this is the end and no other player signs with ICL.

Like Tamim, Mash.

theres a good chance (i speculate) for mash and TI. not sure about ash.
sorry if it hurts but from ICLs point of view, they will try to take bd to point so that we revolt against BCCIs stance. makes sense?
Old September 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Some of you guys are conviniently blaming the BCCI ( which I think has no role in this) and are giving a clean chit to the BCB.

Bashar leaving for the ICL is not a surprise but younsters like SN,Aftab and even Dhiman (I think he is the greatest loss) who are on the fringes or currently playing is a fiasco for BCB.

The ICL could not muster even 3rd Grade Indian cricketers, even Pak got away with Oldies or others who had no hope of making it to the Pak team.

ICL was desperate to get 'a Team' and BCB offered them easy pickings !! If there is anyone to blame it is the BCB !!!
Sorry bharat but you are wrong bro. Bangladesh cricket is at its infancy, the money that Bangladeshi cricketers get playing the league is nothing( not even 1/20th compaped to india and 1/5th compared to pakistan). If u are willing to pay enough money than u can easily lure these BD cricketers. As far as BCB is concerned they cant afford to pay too much since we are at our infancy and the sponsorshi, Tv rights money we recieve is nothing compared to India or Pakistan .

Now BCB has its faults, but it is BCCI who has created this situation for the sake of creating monopoly.

BTW Pakistan lost their best all rounder in the form of Razzaque and almost lost their best batsmen in the form of yousuf. Wanna bet against future high profile sighnings.

Plus the world has lost lots of international stars due to early retirement bought on by ICL( or BCCI).
Old September 14, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat

i am blaming the BCCI.

i will agree with you that BCCI is not maliciously involved. in fact this is probably just as surprising to them as it is to us and the BCB.

however, their stance on the ICL and their demand that ICC and other boards ban ICL players is a direct cause of any destruction these retirements might have with BD cricket.

please bear in mind that i am also "blaming" each of the cricket players involved. SN just lost his desire...fine. aftab probably has immature dumb reasons for quitting. and dhiman's are plain weak.

but the simple fact is that if the BCCI hadn't banned the ICL, we wouldn't be in this quandry. this is undeniable though the BCCI didn't explicitly intend this.

you're puppeteering on BCCI's behalf has now reached ludicrously laughable proportions.

did the BCB say "here you 6 go and play in the ICL"?

the BCB is looking for ways to keep these guys, not getting rid of them. the BCB has no blood on their hands. its all about the BCCI's stance on the ICL and their hostage taking of the ICC.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Find out the real reason for such demotivating acts and statements. I'm sure the real reasons are not the one's what they are saying publicly. It speaks of the environment in our team.
Old September 14, 2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Find out the real reason for such demotivating acts and statements. I'm sure the real reasons are not the one's what they are saying publicly. It speaks of the environment in our team.
real reason is $$$. Would they have done it for free? Absolutely not. The probably calculated the money they might make with BD cricket over the years and compare it with what ICL offers. ICL money might have exceeded by a huge margin. IPL , BD players will go for very low price. This is a win win situation for some players.