facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 1, 2008, 02:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
So, "BD Doesn't have Tall Players" is just a Myth.

That's not so bad ? Given the fact that Ash is just 5-2. If you leave him, the avg is almost 6-0. Myth Busted.
6" wow !!! thats great.

Height only matters when ur a bowler, specially fast bowler. My school team's captain was 5' and he was a very good pacer. Due to his height he couldn't continue. Had he been a feet taller Im sure he would have been in the national team now.

Old October 1, 2008, 04:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe
Default Fitness

Height is a very big advantage for bowlers as well as batsmen...

EX: Ash cant get his hook shot off at times because the short ball goes above his reach..he mistimes it 7 out of 10 times and is caught miserably. If u r moderately tall, it opens up a world of shots than a shorter batsman can get to. Tendulkar, the best example, "little master", adopted his batting style to fit his height, but even he is handicapped by his shot selection but he found other ways to score.

The other issue is fitness...u have to have tone and muscle development to pull with strength or bowl your fastest...Shahadat is a tall tall tall man but his arms are skinnier than a victoria secret model...thats a BIG handicap..Im beginning to think his groaning during bowling is a sign of extreme pain to get the ball off his bony hands...

Most of our batsmen are also very very bony...Compare McClellan's arms with Mushfiqur's....vast difference in the NZ series according to power...he must work on gaining some musle tone and definition, some strength training...

for cricket's sake, buy these men a gym membership ....seriously though
Old October 1, 2008, 05:19 AM
Cricket Legend

nadif chowdhury is shorter than zunaed...nadif is approx. 6
Old October 1, 2008, 09:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
So not used to looking at the rear end of our players, its hard to figure out who'se hugging who!

Yes, who is that chagol er tin number bachcha?
ash,duh!
Old October 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Zunaed is really a tall guy..
Old October 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Add a Mushfique ... the average goes down to 5' 3".

If height really mattered then explain Sachin, Bradman,Gavaskar, Malcom Marshall, Thompson. Taller playe like Reid, Sajid were no guarantees to success. Its all in the grey matters and how you use it.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu

Zunaed is really a tall guy..
who's the guy standing behind siddons? looks angry....
Old October 4, 2008, 01:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues

If height really mattered then explain Sachin, Bradman,Gavaskar, Malcom Marshall, Thompson. Taller playe like Reid, Sajid were no guarantees to success. Its all in the grey matters and how you use it.
I agree with this. For example shorter men can still make good fast bowlers (gough, tino best, lasith malinga etc).

It's still interesting to know our players' heights as so many people assume theyre very short.

How tall are Javed omar and rajin saleh?
Old October 4, 2008, 07:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

Height is definitely advantageious for any athlete, but shorter athletes with exceptional abilities have sometimes shown exceptional performances.

In cricket, short height is not as disadvantegious for batting & spin bowling as it is for pace Bowling. Statistically there are more shorter batting geniuses than pace bowling.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!

Quote:

What? Get your math right. If you add Mushfique as the 10th member to those 9 I averaged, the team's mean height would still come out to be 5'8.4"!
Old October 4, 2008, 08:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
who's the guy standing behind siddons? looks angry....
Salauddin the so called fielding coach?
Old October 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default height of BD players

I know Tamim Iqbal from his school days in Ctg. He is 5 ft 7. In fact his brother is very short .. 5 ft 4 or 5 ft 5 at best. Aftab is definitely 5 ft 2. Mushfique is just 5 ft.

Razzaq is shorter than Tamim. He is around 5 ft 6.

Shahadat is 6 ft 1 or 2. Mashrafe is 5 ft 11.

My colleague is 5 ft 9 and he is an Australian supporter (& an avid follower of the game) and has been going to SCG every year to watch the ODIs and Tests. He saw Brett Lee from very close ( less than 1m distance between them) a few times and he said
Lee would be similar to his height or at best 1 inch more.

Ricky ponting is definitely not 5 ft 10. He is only 1 inch taller than Habibul Bashar and Bashar is around 5 ft 5. I saw Akram Khan and Bulbul from very close. Bulbul is 5 ft 4. Akram was around 5 ft 10. (Wasim Akram was around 6 ft 1).

Zunaied is 5 ft 10 and Sakib is 5 ft 8. Bangladeshis have a very thin frame ( at least those playing in the national team) but still our team would be shorter than many teams. Not sure about Srilankan team though ...i think their average may be higher than ours. Maharoof, Zeehan Mubarak, Fernando ( not to mention their tallest player Vandort ( Joysa is no longer playing for the XI)) are tall players.

Ishant Sharma is reported by indian newspapers as 6 ft 4 and he had Ponting in all sorts of problem with his good length deliveries jumping at him ... that period lasted for 30 minutes in a test match last year.

Last edited by amim; October 4, 2008 at 09:07 PM..
Old October 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

again while we are in the subject of heights...

tallest cricketer ever was Curtly Ambrose, right guys?

dunno about the shortest one though...
Old October 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
First Class Cricketer

Tallest player was Andy Caddick or Chris Tremlett ??
Old October 4, 2008, 10:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amim
I know Tamim Iqbal from his school days in Ctg. He is 5 ft 7. In fact his brother is very short .. 5 ft 4 or 5 ft 5 at best. Aftab is definitely 5 ft 2. Mushfique is just 5 ft.

Are you kidding me? Razzaq is by fact 5'11!
Old October 4, 2008, 11:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

My colleague is 5 ft 9 and he is an Australian supporter (& an avid follower of the game) and has been going to SCG every year to watch the ODIs and Tests. He saw Brett Lee from very close ( less than 1m distance between them) a few times and he said

Ricky ponting is definitely not 5 ft 10. He is only 1 inch taller than Habibul Bashar and Bashar is around 5 ft 5. I saw Akram Khan and Bulbul from very close. Bulbul is 5 ft 4. Akram was around 5 ft 10. (Wasim Akram was around 6 ft 1).

Zunaied is 5 ft 10 and Sakib is 5 ft 8. Bangladeshis have a very thin frame ( at least those playing in the national team) but still our team would be shorter than many teams. Not sure about Srilankan team though ...i think their average may be higher than ours. Maharoof, Zeehan Mubarak, Fernando ( not to mention their tallest player Vandort ( Joysa is no longer playing for the XI)) are tall players.

Ishant Sharma is reported by indian newspapers as 6 ft 4 and he had Ponting in all sorts of problem with his good length deliveries jumping at him ... that period lasted for 30 minutes in a test match last year.
You've decreased our players' height by about 2 inches each.
Old October 4, 2008, 11:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

mate, your heights are all wrong, except for sharma's...

i'd put rahim at 5-1 or 5-2
ash and aftab 5-3, but who cares about aftab's height now
chacha was also 5-3
tamim is 5-9 as is sakib
riyad the same, maybe an inch or two taller max, putting him at 5-9 to 5-11
razzak and rasel are same, 5-11 or 6 feet even
mash 6-1
junaid at least as tall, perhaps taller than mash at 6-2
shahadat 6-3
ishant is 6-4 or possibly 6-5 (might look that tall cuz he weights about half as much as rahim does)

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 5, 2008, 01:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar

Let me share an experience with u guyz.

It was West Indies's first tour (Test) to BD. In an ODI Amdrose was bowling to Javed. When Javed was standing next to Ambrose, we all in the gellary (next to 24th storied building, gate no. 10 famous as Mohammedan gallery, our nest.ah! those days will never come. no more cricket is going to be played there) jumped and laughed that our 'poisha usul'. That was a scene I still remember.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I know Tamim Iqbal from his school days in Ctg.
I think they have grown taller, after you last met them in school days.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar

I don't think so, I think 'Joel Garner' was Much taller than Ambrose. But Don't know if he was the tallest ever or not.
Old October 5, 2008, 03:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Vital Statistics!

Quote:
August 1961
Vital statistics
H S Scales
June 10, 2004

Nigel Paul: 6ft 7ins and could hit the ball as hard as anyone © Martin Williamson
History appears to have been made when Anthony Allom walked on to the field representing the Free Foresters against Oxford University last June. A. T. C. Allom, who was in the Charterhouse XI and has played for Surrey II, is the son of M. J. C. Allom, old international and the present treasurer of Surrey. Young Allom is 6ft 10ins, easily the tallest man who, to, my knowledge, has played first-class cricket.

I cannot discover a runner-up taller than Nigel Paul, 6ft 7ins, once of Cranleigh School, who has batted and bowled fast-medium left-arm for Warwickshire.

C. G. Ford, a member of F. G. J. "Stork" Ford's family, who was at Harrow and played for MCC in 1932, was 6ft 7ins. He died in 1944. P. H. Ford, who played for Gloucestershire before the first world war, was the same height, and so is J. D. F. Larter, of Framlingham and Suffolk, now playing for Northamptonshire II. A. W. B. Sclater, who played for Sussex 80 years ago, was 6ft 6ins.

Among those cricketers who reached 6ft 6ins were Durston of Middlesex, who played for England in 1921, L. E. Nagel of Victoria, who bowled for Australia against England in 1932-33, and his twin brother V.G., G. J. Bonnor, the great Australian hitter, Alan Marshal of Queensland and Surrey, who was one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year before the first world war, and Philip Hodgson, who played for Yorkshire a year or two ago. At least 100 other cricketers of 6ft 3ins or over have played in first-class cricket.

The smallest cricketers I can trace are P. T. Raddock and N. Tuiyau, of Fiji, each 5ft 1in Both Freeman of Kent and "Fanny" Walden of Northamptonshire were 5ft 2ins and so was F. Stephenson, who played for Lancashire many years ago.

George "Tiny" Wells of Sussex, who was in H. H. Stephenson's first team to Australia in 1861-62, was 5ft 2ins and T. W. Gunn of Surrey, a contemporary, was the same height. The smallest cricketer now playing in county cricket is perhaps D. Ward of Glamorgan, reported to be 5ft 3ins.

The heaviest cricketer I know of was W. Foulke of Derbyshire, at least 25 stone but always active. Understandably he was a well-known goalkeeper. Next comes C. H. Gausden, of Sussex (1847), 22 stone 10 lbs.

The Rev. A. R. Ward, who played for Cambridge University in 1852, weighed 20 stone, but I suspect that this figure was reached during his presidential years at Cambridge, 1873-84.

The mighty Alfred Mynn's weight is given as between 18 and 20 stone, and in his later years Warwick Armstrong touched 19 stone. Durston, the only man to appear in two lists, ended his cricket career weighing 19 stone 6 lbs and WG Grace ranged from 14 stone 8 lbs to 18 stone approximately.

George Brown, who played for Sussex over 100 years ago also weighed 18 stone and he had 17 children! Sherwin, the old Nottinghamshire wicketkeeper, scaled 17 stone 2 lbs C. A. Sneddon, jnr., of Auckland, now a noted broadcaster, is said to weigh 20 stone, and E. M. Cregar, once of Philadelphia, 19 stone.

Figures about exceptionally light cricketers are very sparse, and I cannot find anyone lighter than John Wisden, who at one time in his playing career weighed only 7 stone.

There must be many more outsizes such as Barratt, of Nottinghamshire, Major H. S. Bush and Jennings of Surrey, whose dimensions have not been published, but who may come within these limits. I should welcome information.

The number of tall cricketers has increased considerably - in line with the population as a whole - since this article was published, with the tallest current player Will Jefferson (Essex) who is a shade over 6ft. 10in. The records for the heaviest, however, are less threatened because of the modern desire for speed and agility in the field. The biggest recent players are probably Colin Milburn, who neared 19 stone at his peak, and Zimbabwe's Richie Kaschula who was around 20 stone.

© The Cricketer
LINK
Old October 5, 2008, 03:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

It doesn't matter how tall/short you are; what matters is how u can use your height to your advantage.

Both ash and aftab, because they were short, could play the hook shot much more comfortably than taller players. Conversely they can easily duck under a short ball at will. Of course in practise it doesn't always work out...

Another poor exponent of height is Shahadat. He is criminally neglegient of using it as an advantage. his bouncers are pretty lame and the worst part is he still keeps on dishing them out even in one dayers. where is a bowling coach when you need him
Old October 5, 2008, 04:13 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_Ti
LINK
The Tallest Guy was Garner, who played a lots of tests for WI & the hosts used to be in trouble making beds, mattresses & sheets of his size

Here it is: Joel Garner

Quote:
Full name Joel Garner
Born December 16, 1952, Enterprise, Christ Church, Barbados
Current age 55 years 294 days
Major teams West Indies, Barbados, Somerset, South Australia
Nickname Big Bird
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm fast
Height 6 ft 8 in
Education Boy's Foundation School, Christchurch, Barbados
Cricinfo

Wiki
Old October 5, 2008, 04:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
mate, your heights are all wrong, except for sharma's...

i'd put rahim at 5-1 or 5-2
ash and aftab 5-3, but who cares about aftab's height now
chacha was also 5-3
tamim is 5-9 as is sakib
riyad the same, maybe an inch or two taller max, putting him at 5-9 to 5-11
razzak and rasel are same, 5-11 or 6 feet even
mash 6-1
junaid at least as tall, perhaps taller than mash at 6-2
shahadat 6-3
ishant is 6-4 or possibly 6-5 (might look that tall cuz he weights about half as much as rahim does)
We could argue about this all day! I don't think mash is quite 6 foot. But zunaed definitely is...
Old October 5, 2008, 04:33 AM
Test Cricketer

The tallest man in English cricket is Will Jefferson at 6'9"/10" (formerly of essex, now at durham):

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/co...ge/299044.html

Here he is batting against our own dolar mahmod:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/co...ge/281279.html

I challenge anyone to find a taller cricketer playing today....