facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 10, 2009, 07:48 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bangladesh needs a change in leadership

Bangladesh needs a change in leadership
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

The same script, the same fate and with every repetition Bangladesh dips down further in international cricket. A shell shocked Mohammad Ashraful looking at his non-striking partner in disbelief and finally trudging back to the pavilion cursing his fate for his idiotic dismissal at crucial moment of yet another match. His casual attitude towards cricket has been a detrimental influence on a youthful Bangladesh side who more than often follows their skipper and play reckless cricket. This is how Mohammad Ashraful is leading Bangladesh and it summarizes why a team with immense potential is consistently failing to compete at the top level.

Ashraful’s lack of vision and understanding of the state of the play is not only affecting his own batting, but also the way Bangladesh approaches a game as a batting unit. A player who is playing international cricket for 8 years should realize his problem, but Ashraful isn’t showing any sign of learning. He simply doesn’t know the art of building an innings and taking responsibility is not a virtue which is present in his book.

His reliance on luck by playing risky shots in the air and not trying to minimize the “luck factor” is sending a wrong signal to the minds of his young teammates. Ashraful’s dicey approach is soon becoming the trademark style of Bangladesh batsmen and they are not developing the character and determination required to succeed in international cricket. It is time to realize the simple fact that audacious stroke play, over-ambitious and reckless cricket won’t take them anywhere in the near future other than bring even more humiliations for them and their 150 million passionate cricket followers. Reliance on “once in a blue moon” Ashraful is causing more harm than good to the prospect of Bangladesh as a cricket team.

After the departure of Habibul Bashar, Bangladesh awarded captaincy to talented Mohammad Ashraful in a bid to take Bangladesh cricket forward. It has been seen that the notion of honor and responsibility associated with the captaincy has not changed Ashraful; perhaps only the fear for survival might affect a change. Let him earn his place in the team and let him fight to retaining it. This might bring a welcome change and he might start performing which will ultimately help Bangladesh in its survival fight in Test cricket and getting regular success in other forms of cricket.

In Jamie Siddons Bangladesh has a coach who believes in long term Tigers uprising at the expense of short term “flash in the pan” successes. In Champaka Ramanayeke they have a capable bowling coach who has effectively turned a mediocre Bangladesh attack into a competitive one within a very short span of time. However, the good works of the bowlers were consistently nullified by the incompetent “reckless” batting. The weakest link in Bangladesh cricket is the on-field captaincy which is holding the Tigers back in international cricket.

Having vision, the ability to motivate others, possessing self-knowledge and leading from the front are very essential characteristics of any leader. Unfortunately for Bangladesh, Mohammad Ashraful’s last 8 years antics in international cricket show that either he doesn’t understand or completely unaware about the attributes of a captain. His recent dismissals against Sri Lanka in the second Test and in the opening match of the tri-series against Zimbabwe should be the final nail in his captaincy coffin. Bangladesh needs someone with a more serene and assured approach to inspire a youthful side. It is time Bangladesh cricket administrators understand the reality and take appropriate actions.

Bangladesh already has replacements who can step up to take the responsibility like they have done at age group levels. Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim are two such names. Mashrafe Mortaza’a susceptibility to injury virtually rules him out of the running; otherwise he would have been a serious contender for the position. Both Shakib Al Hasan and Mushfiqur Rahim came through a proper cricket system in which they represented age group, academy and A teams. Both of them have the experience of captaincy at different levels and led their respective teams with examples. They are young but have proven leadership qualities. Most importantly they have calm heads over their shoulder and rely on basics than the gung-ho style.

The recent stance by the ECB to not invite Bangladesh after 2010 will definitely influence the minds of other cricket administrators who might want to follow the suit. Bangladesh has apparently failed to learn the basic tenets of Test cricket even after 8 years of introduction to the top league and aren’t consistent enough even in the ODI cricket. Bangladesh’s recent form in international cricket is very much alarming for the overall future of cricket in the country. The current team management has failed to build on the achievements of the previous team management in one day cricket. When every other team is making strides we are walking backwards and the skipper is leading the rot with his fanciful game plan.

However, everything is not lost. Bangladesh showed some signs of encouragement in recent home Tests and fought neck and neck against South Africa and New Zealand. They have managed to take the honors of couple of sessions, but there is a huge difference in winning a couple of sessions of a Test match to winning the match itself. This is where a leader can make the difference. On every occasion where Bangladesh had achieved winnable positions in Test cricket, they were denied by inspired leadership from the opposition captain. This happened in Multan (Inzamam-Ul Haque, became captain after the historic innings)), Fatullah (Ricky Ponting), Mirpur (Graeme Smith) and Chittagong (Daniel Vettori) Tests. Bangladesh needs someone who will be able to break the shackle with his vision and lead the Tigers from the front in a similar fashion to make the transformation from winning sessions to winning Test matches possible and establish them as a force in one day cricket.

It is not that Bangladesh aren’t trying to improve their game, the question is whether they are taking the right approach to be competitive at top level cricket and whether the right leadership is in place to take a young team forward! When a socially and economically ruined country like Zimbabwe where the cricket structure has been destroyed starts beating Bangladesh comfortably, it must be realized that something is very wrong with the current set-up. Immediate action is required before irreparable damages are done. It is always said that Bangladesh must learn to play cricket within their limitations, they must buckle down and put a high price on their wickets to compete at the top. Nothing tangible happened to materialize these sayings over the last few years. Only a captain can make these very important changes possible by setting examples and leading the pack in match situations. A change in leadership has never been required more than now!

Last edited by Miraz; January 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM..
Old January 10, 2009, 08:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Thanks brother.
I dont know how you read my feeling everytime and express it with your writing!!
Same feeling. But you have the words. Nice read!!
Old January 10, 2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sylheti Kapali

We can scream and shout until the cows come home,
but one thing is for sure, this prat will never ever learn. He simply does not WANT TO learn.
Old January 10, 2009, 08:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

It would be very good if we could have a better replacement of Ash, the names you propose are not matured enough or much different than Ash. Once we talk about leadership that is not limited to on field Capaincy. That very much should include the Coashes & the BCB.

If a coach cannot influence the skill & attitude of the team more than the Captain, he isn't doing his job. Replacing the onfield Captain should be the last resort, after we have changed all the other heads capable of influencing the players attitude, if that doesn't work then it should come down to Captain. A coach & a BCB official can be hired from any where in this world, a player can't be hired. Too many shuffling & changing in the team isn't the right way. If The Heads of BD cricket isn't capable of bringing change in our cricketers attitude (including Captain), they should be changed not the cricketers. If Ash hasn't learnt, how do you think that others have? Even Shakib, has he learnt to be responsible? I don't think so. Just because he played a few good innings doesn't mean that it was responsible enough. He went out on 98 with a Lazy shot against SL when he was required to stay, he went out today with another irresponsible shot when he was needed to be there. I don't like to enter into any further details of our players sense of responsibility, hope we all more or less know it.

So in my opinion the people responsible for building the right kind of attitude aren't effective. They should be changed immediately. If some one thinks that the players will be lectured and they will automatically learn, then all BC members would become coaches. The coach needs to have the art ^ technique to translet his thoughts into actions through some system/methods/exercises. The players will most of the time learn even without being aware of that. One thing to note is that, the bowling coach has shown a difference with our limited talents, while the batting coach couldn't do anything. Who is our batting coach? Who is our head coach? all problems are in those departments. He lacks the skills to teach.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71

Last edited by BANFAN; January 10, 2009 at 08:34 AM..
Old January 10, 2009, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

I have decided to join the band wagon to stripe Bangladesh its international Status in Cricket. They should play with Ireland, Namibia.
All the talk of long term improvement would be nothing if you surrender match to Zimbabwe C team by 15 overs.
Ash should be striped of his captaincy. Bagh mama and Siddons should be sacked.
I am sick and tired of one 300+ followed by 10, 180s. I failed to see any improvment (bar Sakib and Mushy) in batting. It is always the bowlers who are keeping us in the match
Old January 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

the question is who will be the leader?

mash: injured and i dont want him to be the captain.
saqib: still young. we can't ruin another world class player. can we?
Old January 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I did not read the first post of Miraz (too long to read for me tight now). This is for the first time I am thinking about Siddons. Probably he is not a good coach for a team like us. Those got this long time back probably understand cricket more than me. I thought he is a good one for us.

Ash today shows how to lose. He should not be play competitive cricket.. he is good for festival cricket, please Ash leave us alone we are unable to kick you out. We would do far better is Ash were not there.
Old January 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BANFAN, I differ with you. The role of captain is very crucial in cricket matches, more than the coach. The coach can try to mould the players, but it's the captain who sets the tone of the team.

Bangladesh team currently lacks character, hunger and dtermination for win. Chaning 100 coaches won't do anything here unless the coach finds a leader within the team who will lead from the front to effect the changes.

Bangladesh has someone as a leader who himself has 100 problems to sort out and clearly lacks proper cricket education. Mushy or Shakib will be young, but so are their teammates and it's a risk worth taking.

Have a look at other international teams where the captain is effectively deciding the fate of and character of the team.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
BANFAN, I differ with you. The role of captain is very crucial in cricket matches, more than the coach. The coach can try to mould the players, but it's the captain who sets the tone of the team.

Bangladesh team currently lacks character, hunger and dtermination for win. Chaning 100 coaches won't do anything here unless the coach finds a leader within the team who will lead from the front to effect the changes.

Bangladesh has someone as a leader who himself has 100 problems to sort out and clearly lacks proper cricket education. Mushy or Shakib will be young, but so are their teammates and it's a risk worth taking.

Have a look at other international teams where the captain is effectively deciding the fate of and character of the team.
Totally agree with you Miraz Bhai,Captain is the instrumental factor in the cricket.The way he played and his careless approach really giving wrong signal to our young batsmans.Rest are thinking our captain is throwing his wicket,What is the problem if we do.we should get rid of him soon.Knowing Ash there was always doubt in my mind he will not able to handle captain pressure.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I don't agree. Before the actual match all the advise and surmons and practices are given by the coach while captain is also one of the students/trainees only. Captain doesn't teach or groom the team. Yes during the game when your best player or captain faulters that affects others to some extent. We have seen it in specially Indian team for a long time, when SRT failed the team collapsed. That doesn't mean the it is his fault to spread that vibe. If the team attitude and mentality is hardened properly, those on field events doon't affect much. Every player would go and try to play his game according to the situation. That's what we see with pro teams like Aus, SA and todays indian team. It cannot happen that our captains out is spoiling all the other 11s game. What happened to the wickets those fell before him then? This is illogical. The coaching staff has failed to instill that pro attitude in the players, that's the reason, not the captains.

Quote:
Who will create those character? the coach or the Captain? I think Coach. Captain can only reiterate coaches approach/words/notion. If Captain is responsible for it why to have a coach?

Quote:
I agree he has 100 problems and the others have only 99. That won't mnake much difference I guess

Quote:
That's what you see, but what you don't see is that how the coaches are grooming those captains. It used to happen in old days when Coach was more or less a manager, but in todays cricket that role has been taken by the Coaches in every team of the world. Don't think that Smith does or says anything which isn't discussed with coach or not in line with the strategy discussed with the coach. Coach is central in todays cricket. Captain is the implementer of some of the team strategies on field, he is no way not even 1% responsible for individuals game. Not only in BD it's all over at the moment. And goven the Age and experience of Ash in comparison to other Captains, I guess our coach should have even a bigger role.

I don't deny ofcourse, that as a Captain, Ash should play much more responibly.
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71

Last edited by BANFAN; January 10, 2009 at 09:53 AM..
Old January 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I don't think we need a change in leadership to score 200 against Zimbabwe at home. If we do, we're worthless.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:02 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim,Mash,Mushfiq

Miraz bhai,wont that be graeme smith in mirpur.U wrote graeme hick.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I strongly believe that Mushy & shakib are our leaders for the future, but i am not sure if they are ready yet. It feels too much of a risk to appoint them as captain now... They really need time to develop their game further... But, then again the carefree attitude of the players is alarming.

May be mashrafee should be the captain and one of them (shakib or mushy) should be the vice captain. And, please keep mushy in the middle order to play the spinners.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I don't think we need a change in leadership to score 200 against Zimbabwe at home. If we do, we're worthless.
You never know .. with the current leadership in place we might struggle to make 150 against Kenya/Zimbabwe at home. Remember pre-Dave Whatmore era?

Can you explain whey we decided to bowl first on this flat track? Batting was lot more difficult in the second session (or at least they made it to look difficult) as ball wasn't coming to bat and stopping on bat. This is because our skipper has a permanent negative mindset. No other team would have selected to bowl first on this wicket.

We lack character right from the word go.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan96
Miraz bhai,wont that be graeme smith in mirpur.U wrote graeme hick.
Thanks!! my bad... corrected.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

One more correction: Inzamam wasn't captain in Multan test, Rashid Latif was (although he became captain right after the Multan test, due to Rashid Latif's ban)
Old January 10, 2009, 10:11 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BANFAN, a captain can't be a trainee in a cricket team who will try to follow coach's advise. A captain has to set examples for others to follow. Why on earth a player with 134 ODI experience should act as a trainee?

I cannot buy your logic that a coach will set the character of a team. A coach can only do that when he finds a leader in the team. Players tend to follow the captain in a cricket match.

Your argument is more suitable for football where captain is nothing but an ornamental figure and coach decides the tactics and game plan.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
One more correction: Inzamam wasn't captain in Multan test, Rashid Latif was (although he became captain right after the Multan test, due to Rashid Latif's ban)
Thanks!! note added.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Kick Ashraful out of the damn team.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

Thanks, Miraz Bhai, for bringing this point forward.

I whole-heartedly aggree with BANFAN bhai. Some people possess leadership material by birth; but professionalism develops through a professional system. The whole BCB - managers, selectors, coaches,captain, everyone - is a part of it. BCB officials develop a professional domestic structure, groom the players, help them developing as international-materials. The selectors have to find the right combination with a clear view of past-present-and-future, the coach along with the captain makes the gameplan, the captain executes it (and adapts himself to the changing needs, which HaBa was completely unableto do). If there is a weak link in the process, the whole system is bound to suffer.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Common sense cannot be imparted. It is something one is born with.

A captain, above all else, requires COMMON SENSE.

Ashraful is born with ZERO common sense.

Ergo, Ashraful must go.

Q.E.D.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

There is only one idiot!

Bolod! Gadha! Beukuf! Ahammok!
Old January 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
the question is who will be the leader?
Can you get anyone who can do worse than Ash?
Old January 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
BANFAN, a captain can't be a trainee in a cricket team who will try to follow coach's advise. A captain has to set examples for others to follow. Why on earth a player with 134 ODI experience should act as a trainee?
This is alien to me. What does the captain do when the team trains under the coach? Does he take the asst coache's role? Nope because there is one for that job. Then what does he do? He just participates in the training under the coach. What do you call some one who takes the training under a traniner? I called him a trainee.

He is not a role model, players generally take role models amongst the legends. He is the current leader and a leader should set example by his own performance. But at the end he is just another player in the team. Ash is guilty of not being able to do it in every occassion. He is not their trainer. But his recent performances against SL with bat, ball & field is quiet examplary. I would be happy if he could do it 100% times, like none could do so far [/QUOTE]

Quote:
I cannot buy your logic that a coach will set the character of a team. A coach can only do that when he finds a leader in the team. Players tend to follow the captain in a cricket match.

Your argument is more suitable for football where captain is nothing but an ornamental figure and coach decides the tactics and game plan.
What the footbal Captain does for 90 mins in the football ground, that the cricket captain does for 6-7 hours in cricketing environment in the cricket field, during the match. He cannot teach cricket/football in the field. Off the field a captain of every outdoor team sport has the same kind of role.

You must remember the incident of having a wireless communication with Cronije & his coach while SA was fielding. As a good coach he wasn't satisfied grooming and discussing only, he went on to have continuous contact with the captain even during fielding. It was not permitted further though when the umpires noiticed it.

Miraz, if the Coach isn't responsible to set the character of the team he coaches, who does? Hira? that's what is our problem and probably that's where we need change.
Old January 10, 2009, 11:13 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BANFAN, we are going round in circles.

I am not denying that coach plays a major role in building a team, but his role is limited in match situations where the captain must take the baton. A coach can't really do anything without a proper leader.

Dave Whatmore was successful because he had Habibul Bashar as the captain who had the ability to unite the team and lead with performance. The players had a lot of respects for Bashar.

In case of Ashraful, his recklessness is very efficiently transmitted into the mindset of his teammates. He is leading the rot with examples. The payers don't feel guilty when they throw their wickets away as their skipper is showing the way!! A coach can really do little if his captain always lets him down.