facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot
Default Captaincy Option: What about Nafis Iqbal?

Most of the fans are against Ashraful continuing as the Captain of Bangladesh team. But the problem here is who will replace Ashraful. Two options came from the fans: Mashrafee and Sakib. Negatives of Mash is his injury problem and for Sakib, some think he is not ready and some think it can hamper his tremendous growth as an all-rounder or for both reasons.

I was thinking about the other options, Then I came up with the idea of bringing Nafis Iqbal in the team and make him captain. He has captained U-17 and U-19 team where Ashraful also played under his captaincy. Also with the persistent opening problem, he can be the answer as well. He is also batting in #3 spot as well in NCL.

Also in International cricket, we find this sort of examples. In 2003 World Cup, Grame Smith was not in the South Africa team. He was called back in the side as captain after the WC 2003 disaster and the rest is history. Lee Germon once called in the New Zealand team to captain the side.

Well, I myself not sure whether it's the right idea or not. because negatives like, "Nafis still not ready or not in form to be in the national team" is an issue. So, thought why not raise this idea and have the opinions of you guyz......

Last edited by yaseer; January 19, 2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old January 19, 2009, 01:27 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

to be honest ur funnyyyyyyyyy.......makes me captain.it will be better........trust me
Old January 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, mushy

mashrafee. he doesnt miss a whole lot. maybe 1/2 here and there
Old January 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Nafis Iqbal not even in the side!

But I would like to see him again as an opening bat though.
Old January 19, 2009, 01:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Nafis Iqbal not even in the side!

But I would like to see him again as an opening bat though.
ya not in the side...but if he is good enough to come back....then what about the idea to give him the captaincy - is the point. He is experienced and has done it in the past. I have seen a few such examples in international cricket as i mentioned in my post.....where this sort of decision was taken when not much options u have to choose from.
Old January 19, 2009, 02:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

last time when he captained BD U-19 in a world cup (probably in NZ), a number of groupings inside the team were created.. total situation became a mess... this is the reason in the next U-19 world cup he has to leave the captaincy .... Captain should be from the regulars... let him become regular first then talk on this... he is not Brearley by any standard that we have to bring him in the team as a captain only
Old January 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
Cricket Sage

je player teame nijer jaiga khuje pache na...ore captain banabo amra????
captaincy is no joke..u just show up and n do it...
Old January 19, 2009, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Not a bad idea. But he shouldn't be straight away made captain, he should be given 5 matches and if he clicks then it's a possibility. If the ICL ban is revoked I would like to see Alok as captain. But at the moment Ash still just about has my support as captain.
Old January 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

it could be an option but he first has to ease himself in to the playing XI
Old January 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

An interesting idea, but probably a non-starter. Like rajin, it'd be difficult to justify selecting someone who would not make the best XI. The same goes for Foysol Hossain Deccans and ehsanul Haq Seezan.

Kapali would have been ideal...
Old January 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

I think Shafiqul Haq Hira will be good captain!
Old January 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
I think Shafiqul Haq Hira will be good captain!
Lol! The last I heard he was BD operations manager...

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bangl...ry/344606.html
Old January 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
An interesting idea, but probably a non-starter. Like rajin, it'd be difficult to justify selecting someone who would not make the best XI. The same goes for Foysol Hossain Deccans and ehsanul Haq Seezan.

Kapali would have been ideal...
kapali would hav been and maybe even an onform SN
Old January 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

let nafis get into the squad first... then we'll talk abt him becoming captain.. but if he can create a permanent spot 4 himself in the team... might as well try it....
Old January 19, 2009, 04:51 PM
Test Cricketer

I want Mash to be our Captain and Shakib VC.. that means when Mash not able to play Shakib can take the wheel.. don't want to see that loser running our team again
Old January 19, 2009, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Lets have Ash finish out the ZIM series and depending on how the other tri-series goes, maybe we can consider Salma Khatun. Maybe she can bring the leadership our current man in charge so desperately lacks.
Old January 19, 2009, 06:35 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Mash would be my first choice to take over the captaincy. The guy has a lion heart and imposing and commanding character and presence in the field . But what I have seen from Mashrafe lately that at times he seems to be looking tired and resigned (specially during the test matches) and if he is feeling that way I am afraid he can not captain the team.

My second choice would be Shakib. In my opinion he is ready and very capable of leading the team. The guys has the heart, mentality and character to the be captain. I know a lot of our respected BC members feel that he is still too young and it is too early for him to become a captain and making him the captain will ruin his career.

I firmly believe leadership quality is something that is within a person and it is kind of an intrinsic property and has little to do with age. I think Shakib is much more tougher and mature than lot of us think. Again I am not suggesting that we just simply impose captaincy on him. It will have to be on his own accord and he must feel confident and certain about captaining the team. If BCB sees that
he is not performing well as a captain, they can always replace with someone else.

My point it that I feel Shakib is ready and capable of being the team captain and I feel it is worth giving him a shot with the captaincy.
Old January 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

If ICL garbage policy is lifted, kapali would be a good Captain, only if he is not coached and dictated by our team management on how to play and how to get runs; I think he has shown enough in ICL. Otherwise bring back HB, at least he understands how to win. But I would like to see Iqbal brothers playing together as openers someday.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

As much as I like Kapali, I definitely don't want to see someone who could ditch the opportunity to play for the country for easy bucks as my captain. Sorry!!! It's just me.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Street Cricketer

I think it's not the captain as much as the entire top order. See this article "Bring Back the Rebels": http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ck-the-rebels/
Old January 19, 2009, 08:21 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I see people are still reasoning with emotions rather than rational thinking. Oh well...
Old January 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
First Class Cricketer

Well, even if Nafis Iqbal makes it to the side, I don't see how on earth he can be made the captain - an important attribute of a captain is that he has the respect of his peers; this is something that Habibul had despite all his tactical inadequacies and ODI failures and I feel this is something that Ashraful lacks. Moreover I remember after the 2002 U-19 WC where Nafis was the captain, there was talk of infighting in the team and for the 2004 tourney, it was a guy called Ashiqul who led the side, not Nafis.

I do not understand why are we so reluctant to hand Mashrafe the captaincy unless he is taking a major break due to a surgery or something any time soon - how many matches has he missed due to injury in the last couple of years. I am not saying he'll turn the side into worldbeaters but he is enjoying a real purple patch with the ball and if we are getting a change in captain, for me he is the automatic choice as we don't want to ruin Sakib with even more burden.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Why the hell would Kapali make a good captain? They guy's never had any experience in captaincy, and suddenly he'll make a 'good captain'? You guys need to think before you say things.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Test Cricketer

ash gotta go for real
Old January 19, 2009, 09:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

hmm. Nafis. That's a nice idea, Yaseer. But I have an even better idea. Why don't we bring back Enamul Haque Moni and make him the captain. We will be able get rid of two bad performers this way- the current BD captain and an awful umpire.