facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 23, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default lack of venues??

all matches were played on a single venue, at Mirpur.

this lead to poorly prepared pitches, and this is something which i think has not been talked about enough, allowing me to believe the BCB will get away with this.

in addition to shuffling ashrafu's batting position, this a key area of BCB stupidity that i believe cost us 2 games against zimbabwe.

IMO, we should prepare minefield pitches for matches against top 8 sides. until our batsman can play well on flat pitches, there is no need for us to make a 300 wicket for a team like india or england. our batters will score 230 max (the rare 280 followed by 150 all out).

a minefield of a wicket will definitely help to even things out. Lanka struggled to bat on these pitches, even against zimbabwe bowling. let sakib, mashrafee, and rubel loose on opposition in super sporting conditions, i say. we can win more games that way then by playing on paratha wickets, where we just end up ruining our bowlers' figures.

however, against minnow teams, we should always prepare the flattest of tracks. on a flat deck, how many runs would zimbabwe have scored against the likes of shakib and mashrafee? 240 maybe. easily chaseable even for us. and should we bat first, we are capable of consistently putting up 250+ on flat tracks against minnows. a 250 score, will 9 times out of 10 be out range of zimbabwe's batsman.

by playing zimbabwe on a bowling track, we basically limited our advantage against them, and basically handed them the first 2 games, earning international humiliation. this was a poor move from the BCB.

they should have used venues at CDS, bogra, and khulna. or at least at chittagong if not bogra and khulna. if they wanted to keep it all in dhaka, they could have use the fatullah stadium. the "home of cricket" doesn't mean we have to play all our matches there. does australia play every game at the MCG?

#OneTeam1Dream

Old January 23, 2009, 02:49 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

agree..if pak play 5 ODI and two 20-20 i want to see 4 different venue for those 6 match.
2 mirpur
2 chittagong
1 bogra
2 other
Old January 23, 2009, 02:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Didn't you hear the commentary during the match?
The pitch was intentionally prepared that way (with grass), to prepare players for fast pitches.

Mirpur traditionally has slow - low bounced pitches. This pitch wasn't bad pitch, this pitch was a very good bowling pitch plus the fact that because of winter foggy conditions there was a lot of movement from the pitch. Even Zimbabwe, which traditionally has fast pitch in their home town, had deficalty playing. And we bowled good for a change.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Not a lack of venues. More like lack of intelligence from BCB. Fatullah is the sportiest pitch in BD and they haven't used it in 3 years for any tests or odi's. Even though the drainage system is bad, I would still suggest using it. And it's near Dhaka so accomodation is not a problem either, just a long drive from the teams' hotels.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It's not due to lack of venues, It was related to the broadcast issue. Nimbus was happy to produce the series from Dhaka. BCB took the safe option and reduced considerable amount of cost.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Easy to understand the use of a single venue:

Low budget series with a minimum number of matches. Very expensive to set-up Nimbus equipments in several different locations.

Even harder to give the media guys a state-of-the-art environment.

Fog and cold in the north i.e. Bogura could have been worse.

16 pitches in Mirpur, 10 of them available. 2-3 pitches were prepared. The preparation was excellent. They never deteriorated. How the pitch condition might have affected the results is a point that can be argued either way 'til the cows come home.

Professional teams have to adjust to pitch condition. Australia, NZ and RSA shows us how to do that every time the visit us.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

they havent played in bogra in mad long time
Old January 23, 2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

What heppened to those meadows in Chittagong and Bogra ? Are they using those pastures to herd cattles these days ?
Old January 23, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Didn't you hear the commentary during the match?
The pitch was intentionally prepared that way (with grass), to prepare players for fast pitches.

Mirpur traditionally has slow - low bounced pitches. This pitch wasn't bad pitch, this pitch was a very good bowling pitch plus the fact that because of winter foggy conditions there was a lot of movement from the pitch. Even Zimbabwe, which traditionally has fast pitch in their home town, had deficalty playing. And we bowled good for a change.
The wicket is full of grass. But not fast. In fact this one is a slow wicket. That's why it's hard to play stroke here even when the early moisture is gone.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i understand in a low budget series to use just mirpur venue.

but for the pakistan series they should branch outside of dhaka and chittagong. khulna and bogra deserve international matches too.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 24, 2009, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

they havent been playing in any pitch except for mirpur
chittagong was used for a few test
we should use more pitches for the 5 ODIs
Old January 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

Trust me buddies, it's not lack of venues. It's lack of sense and organizing.
Old January 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
It's not due to lack of venues, It was related to the broadcast issue. Nimbus was happy to produce the series from Dhaka. BCB took the safe option and reduced considerable amount of cost.
Well, I guess we could've earned little more if we had played in 2/3 different vanues...
Old January 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, (was) Aftab

Forget Bogra from now on guys, under the current political situation you can't imagine matches there.

I think, Mirpur pitches are well groomed for our batsmen to learn. BCB should keep it going so that our batsmen can atleast earn some respect in bouncy pitches of England-Africa-Australia.

BTW, how many matches do we have in 2011 World Cup stage? And how many venues should be used? Any guess?
Old January 25, 2009, 08:14 PM
Cricket Legend

then we should get more pitches in mirpur