facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 9, 2009, 09:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Default PCB issues legal notice to ICC for World Cup exclusion

In the first official response to the ICC's decision to exclude Pakistan from hosting the 2011 World Cup, the Pakistan board has issued a legal notice to cricket's governing body, calling the decision to do so discriminatory and "legally flawed."

The ICC decided at a recent board meeting in Dubai to take away Pakistan's share, as one of four co-hosts, of the World Cup matches. The move came after terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan team during their February-March tour, which was itself the first major bilateral contest in Pakistan since October 2007. A number of teams since then had refused to visit in the wake of an unsettled and increasingly violent domestic backdrop. The meeting also said that international cricket was unlikely to return to Pakistan till 2011.

Ijaz Butt, chairman of PCB, had hitherto maintained a stony silence on the decision, to the ire of much of the population here. But at a press conference at the board's HQ in Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium, flanked by senior officials and legal advisors, he said that the manner in which the ICC decision was taken was "legally flawed...unfair and discriminatory" and that Pakistan intended to fight for its right as co-host.

The notice has been sent through its legal advisors Mark Gay, of DLA Piper, and Tafazzul Rizvi, the PCB's legal consultant. "We are most concerned about the manner in which the ICC took this decision," Butt said. "There was no notice prior to the meeting that a decision of this nature would be taken. There was no proper security assessment of Pakistan nor of the other Co-Hosts of the 2011 Tournament. We believe that more could and should have been done to review the actual situation to deal with the matter on a non-discriminatory basis. We will push for the matter to be expedited."

In particular, Pakistan's gripe, Butt clarified, was that the status of the 2011 World Cup was not on the original agenda of the ICC Board meeting on April 17 and 18 (when the decision was made). The implication is that Pakistan wasn't given a fair opportunity to defend its case as a co-host.

"This issue was not on the agenda," Butt said. "There was a discussion of the Sri Lankan attacks on the agenda and this topic came up. They never gave us notice and it was not on the agenda. We want to revoke the decision full stop."

Butt repeatedly pointed to what he claimed were also uncertain security environments in the other co-hosts - India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - and said that provisions are in place for such decisions to be taken as late as 18 months before an ICC event, something that would have given the board time to prepare a security plan and for inspections to be carried out. It is the absence of this process, more than anything else, which has seemingly spurred the PCB's move to send a legal notice.

The legal notice has been sent to the ICC president David Morgan and under the ICC's constitution, the PCB is asking for the matter to be referred to the disputes resolution committee. "The matter has been submitted to the president of the ICC's dispute resolution committee. He can either refer the matter to the dispute resolution committee which is made up of ICC's officials or to the independent arbitration before the court of arbitration sport court. The PCB prefer impartial arbitration in the interest of justice, equity and fairplay."

If the disputes resolution committee fails to come up with a satisfactory solution, the option to take the case further remains. "There are two options with the disputes resolution committee," Salim Altaf, the board's chief operating officer, told Cricinfo. "Normally all disputes are resolved there. But if there is no satisfactory resolution, then the case can be sent to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), in Lausanne, Switzerland."

Ratification of the ICC's decision was expected to take place at the annual board meeting in June, though now that no longer seems a foregone conclusion.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:56 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
omething that would have given the board time to prepare a security plan and for inspections to be carried out
... and provide presidential level security for the all teams.

Quote:
Butt repeatedly pointed to what he claimed were also uncertain security environments in the other co-hosts - India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka -
This has been the main argument of all the Pakistani "greats" recently. We don't care if Pakistan loses the world cup, but India-SL-Bangladesh should not get it either.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

If they get it, who would play there??

Pakistan, ??????, ???????, ???????

Are they going to be playing themselves?

Why can't they get this into their heads. Its not like the Taliban is controlling half of India/SL/BD
Old May 9, 2009, 11:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
... and provide presidential level security for the all teams.
Like the one Srilankan got. They even fail to apprehend a single culprit one. When Broad speaks about their incompetancy instead of recognozing their mistake they were busy character assisination and throwing racial slur againest Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
This has been the main argument of all the Pakistani "greats" recently. We don't care if Pakistan loses the world cup, but India-SL-Bangladesh should not get it either.
what you could expect from a bunch of losers led by the Butt (A$$). BTW as far as I know only those who are involved with present PCB is sharing the view (The joker Miandad is only great player there). I did not know whetehr Imran, the loud mouth Sarfaraj, Akram , Waqar shared the view. Beside Miandad the only other great who share the view is Inzy and we Inzy's agenda. Even in pakistani fan site a good number supported taking away the right of Pakistan.
Regarding 2011, probably there would be three country - Talibastan, Punjab and Sindh in the area now known as Pakistan. ICC have to decide which team would take the place of Pakistan as Test team
Old May 9, 2009, 11:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Regarding 2011, probably there would be three country - Talibastan, Punjab and Sindh in the area now known as Pakistan. ICC have to decide which team would take the place of Pakistan as Test team
Not so long ago, i predicted 2015 would be the cut off year.
But the way things shaping up, i'm afraid, your dateline seems more probable.

Coming to the subject topic, being in-denial does not really help anyone.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

who in their right mind would be willing to play in Pakistan?
i wouldn't want to send our ludu or even kutkut team to play there right now
Old May 9, 2009, 02:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

the PCB is a joke reflecting their nation's overall status.

first of all PCB can't be trusted as the SL attack showed, secondly it is dangerous, thirdly who would play there even if they got their matches back?

they need to rectify things within their control, leave the rest to the Almighty, and stop issue legal notices.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
the PCB is a joke reflecting their nation's overall status.

first of all PCB can't be trusted as the SL attack showed, secondly it is dangerous, thirdly who would play there even if they got their matches back?

they need to rectify things within their control, leave the rest to the Almighty, and stop issue legal notices.
There you go brother...Islamic solidarity on display, "if we cant host the WC so shudn't our brothers in bangladesh"

Neways name "Butt" suits the man.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
There you go brother...Islamic solidarity on display, "if we cant host the WC so shudn't our brothers in bangladesh"

Neways name "Butt" suits the man.
well, he's got a point.

however, if you don't believe in the importance of islamic solidarity...then i'm afraid your mind is confused.

i believe you claimed to be a muslim in the previous thread some weeks back. yet you are against islamic solidarity, a fundemental teaching of islam.

it appears as though you are having difficulty deciding if you want to be a muslim or not. i hope you get it sorted out, because we have short time on this earth.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
well, he's got a point.

however, if you don't believe in the importance of islamic solidarity...then i'm afraid your mind is confused.

i believe you claimed to be a muslim in the previous thread some weeks back. yet you are against islamic solidarity, a fundemental teaching of islam.

it appears as though you are having difficulty deciding if you want to be a muslim or not. i hope you get it sorted out, because we have short time on this earth.
I was joking bro, Sorry if I hurt your religious sentiments. Again I just want to emphasize the point that I am in solidarity with causes I support. I shall not support someone based on his religious beliefs. It is naive to do that.

Unfortunately brother religion is suppose to open your eyes, but some people are also blinded by faith and u seem to be one of them.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Test Cricketer

There goes another cricket thread lost in religion.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

And soon it would find its way back to the geo-politics of the subcontinent.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

HAHA...Sorry guys....
I apoligise....

I am not gonna utter a word about anything other than cricket....
Old May 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

At least some Pakistanis understand...

http://content.cricinfo.com/magazine...ry/403840.html
Old May 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Maybe the junk he got busted for came through the ISI/Talibani pipeline.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 13, 2009, 06:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

they are just being emotional
Old May 13, 2009, 08:10 AM
Cricket Sage

well, any of the other host countries would have done the same thing. people have a hard time facing up to reality, pakistani or non-pakistani. i mean according to conventional wisdom, turkey is a backward country even though women are legally bound to remove headscarves in the public sphere but israel (where women only recently could pray at the wailing wall) is progressive.

truth, i suppose, lies in the eye of the beholder.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
At least some Pakistanis understand...

http://content.cricinfo.com/magazine...ry/403840.html
That was a very good article. PCB should take cues. They are being stupid and losing respect with their South Asian peers.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:18 AM
Test Cricketer

With this one step, PCB has earned ill will from virtually every board...especially the Asian boards. The decision was based on logic and there was no ill will for PCB as such. But now that PCB is openly campaigning against all the Asian boards, the ill will will be reciprocated.

I can not see what is the objective of this legal battle. They say that the decision was not taken in a formal way. Even if PCB wins this case, ICC will then do the same in a more formal way. But Pakistan will not get any WC games. Holding the matches far away in Dubai is not a great proposition.

So PCB will lose the games anyway. The only thing they will earn out of this all is an ill will from the only people who came to tour them in their time of need: India, Bangladesh and Srilanka. These are the only three boards who toured Pakistan when everyone else said no. And PCB is openly campaigning against these three boards. Pathetic.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yes, it was left to us to even think of travelling to Pakistan, both in the recent past and the oblivion future.

But now, even these three boards would be pi$$ed as hell.

SL sends a team amidst all sorts of problem, their national heroes are put to guns and bombs instead of bat and ball, and now the PCB is complaining.

What a whining bunch of retards.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
well, any of the other host countries would have done the same thing. people have a hard time facing up to reality, pakistani or non-pakistani. i mean according to conventional wisdom, turkey is a backward country even though women are legally bound to remove headscarves in the public sphere but israel (where women only recently could pray at the wailing wall) is progressive.

truth, i suppose, lies in the eye of the beholder.
no one considers turkey backward AFAIK. about israel, it has more to do with women's standing in society in general than what a few blinkered rabbis think.
almost equal representation of women in areas like military, politics etc is one reason why israel is considered progressive. doesn't have much to do with religion.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Someone should actually serve them a legal notice on charges of utter negligence that lead to the attack against the SL team. I am not surprised. PCB after all is an extension of the State, which has been in denial about Islamist militants running havoc in every corner of that nation. That legal notice is not even worth rubbish..
Old May 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
Cricket Legend

SLCricket board was too nice to "Mr butt" and gang. If this happened to Indian cricket team, than Pakistan wont even dream to play any cricket anywhere before Butt and his whole gang resigned from the board. that would have been some show.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
The Pakistan Cricket Board's decision to abstain from voting has left it on weak legal ground on the case of the ICC's decision to move the World Cup matches outside Pakistan, according to legal advice received by the ICC.

Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, chose to stay away from voting during the ICC board meeting that decided on the issue in Dubai on April 17.

"The final vote during that meeting has been recorded as having been a unanimous one," ICC sources told Cricinfo. "This should work strongly in the ICC's favour. If the PCB had any objection at that point of time, they should have voted against the move instead of abstaining. Legally, as it is, they have a weak case."
Bunch of jokers..!!! Maamla shuru na hotei haira geche
Old May 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

epic fail !!