facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 10, 2003, 11:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Advice Khaled Mahmud could use!

This is what Waugh had to say to Ponting when Ponting took over the ODI captaincy.

"One of my stand-out memories of Stephen is of what must have been a difficult time in his career. I had replaced him as the captain of the one-day side that toured South Africa in 2001-2002. The one-day series was immediately after the Test series, and Stephen was scheduled to fly out with the Test players the next day. We spent some time together on the night before his departure, and his advice to me has often come back to me over these past two years. Stephen had told me then that I should always see myself first and foremost as a batsman who had to score consistently for the team, and only then as the captain. He told me never to let the responsibilities of captaincy lead to my neglecting my batting. Because if my batting went off the rails, it would be even more difficult for me to do justice to my duties as captain. There are times when as captain one does worry about the problems and bad form of those around him. It is at such times that I silently thank Stephen for giving me such sound advice at the start of my tenure as captain of an Australian cricket team."

Source
Old December 11, 2003, 01:08 AM
Retired BC Admin

Brilliant piece of advice. Even our selectors can take heart from it. Thanks pompus.
Old December 11, 2003, 04:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Unfortunately, the advice has no meaning if the captain was NOT EVEN A RECOGNIZED BATSMAN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

is our captain in a mess or what!
Old December 11, 2003, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

The problem is, the reason for Sujon's poor performances is not that he is worrying too much about the captaincy. He is just not good enough for the highest level. Its as simple as that.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Don't forget this was never Sujon's fault to begin with. He never wanted the captaincy. He was a utility one day player who played aggressively. He never claimed to be anything more. The BCB put him into the captaincy without any regard for whether Sujon as a player could consistently fit in both test and one day teams. Although Sujon's form plummeted with the captaincy, it was never that much better to begin with. In his role as an utility player, it didn't matter before but as a captain it does now.

Since there are rumours of Mushfiq being considered for captaincy, it seems that the brain trust has not learned anything. Mushfiq is barely trying to stake a regular place on the team as a player, I am sure he is the least bit interested in taking on the burden of captaincy at this time. Unless he, too, thinks captaincy is the only way into the team!
Old December 12, 2003, 09:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Unless he, too, thinks captaincy is the only way into the team.
We should all train to become bits and pieces cricketers, claim that we are all-rounders, and make our way into the national team!