facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2010
Posts: 75
Default An England's Fan View On Bangladesh

I would like to just add an unbiased view on Bangladesh. I look at the team and you have some talented players and potential. But I just worry about the mentality of the whole Bangladesh setup. The reason I say this is because Shakib's decision to bowl was the fact that he thought the England Attack may get a few wickets in the morning. I think the only way for you to win a test match is to bat first and put pressure on the opposition by scoring a decent total. Because any team that scores over 300 against you looks like a huge target to your batsmen. The batsmen then panic and you are 40 -4 before you know it. Your bowlers would have more confidence if they had a total of 350 to defend . I hope that I am wrong but I can not see you scoring 450 runs in the total test match . This is because the England team will have 550 plus on the board and the batsmen will not know whether to attack or defend and indecision costs you wickets.

For the rest of the series I hope that you can get some good individual performances. I don't blame siddons either . The old saying you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it applies. I just hope on Day two and the rest of the series we see some fight from your lads.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:32 PM
WarWolf WarWolf is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 3, 2007
Favorite Player: Love them all....
Posts: 11,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I would like to just add an unbiased view on Bangladesh. I look at the team and you have some talented players and potential. But I just worry about the mentality of the whole Bangladesh setup. The reason I say this is because Shakib's decision to bowl was the fact that he thought the England Attack may get a few wickets in the morning. I think the only way for you to win a test match is to bat first and put pressure on the opposition by scoring a decent total. Because any team that scores over 300 against you looks like a huge target to your batsmen. The batsmen then panic and you are 40 -4 before you know it. Your bowlers would have more confidence if they had a total of 350 to defend . I hope that I am wrong but I can not see you scoring 450 runs in the total test match . This is because the England team will have 550 plus on the board and the batsmen will not know whether to attack or defend and indecision costs you wickets.

For the rest of the series I hope that you can get some good individual performances. I don't blame siddons either . The old saying you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it applies. I just hope on Day two and the rest of the series we see some fight from your lads.
I do. In the post day briefing both Shakib and Siddon admitted that it was a combined decision. So Siddons has to share equal blame.
__________________
And Allah Knows the best
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo
Posts: 21,486

Man, very true!!
__________________
Khela-dhulai Haraa-haari maraa-maari often with Lathi o ghushi thakbei...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
BD-Shardul BD-Shardul is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 16, 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar
Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim
Posts: 7,046

To be honest test cricket is a simple game unless you unnecessarily make it complicated.

Here how it is:

Make a pitch that will turn from the second day.
Win toss.
Bat first, be gritty and somehow manage 400+.
Then bowl and field with your heart out and try to gain 150 lead.
Then somehow manage 175 in the second innings.
Then try your best in the fourth innings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:47 PM
Ramone Ramone is offline
Street Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 9, 2010
Location: London
Favorite Player: Kevin Pietersen
Posts: 3

Well Biggles it is easy to scoff but England put Australia into bat in Brisbane 2002 and Nasser hasn't lived it down. Bangladesh need to be encouraged not criticised and more tours to Bangla are in order.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
Tormuz Tormuz is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 10, 2010
Posts: 603

Just watched the highlights. I have to ask WHY DO WE SUCK so much in fielding?? That's a basic thing in cricket, if you can't get it right, then i think we should stop playing cricket. SAD. Fielding cost us minimum of 30 runs today.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 12, 2010, 01:23 PM
bdtiger bdtiger is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 2, 2010
Posts: 2,107

Tormuz Khan, where to watch the highlights?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2010
Posts: 75

I totally agree with you in 2002 we did insert the opposition and what happend we lost !!! because we were negative. But England in 2004 batted first against Australia at Edgbaston and scored 400+ in first day . Because we were positive. It would be better to be shot out trying to go for a win rather than been negative and looking below par . I am not arguing with you there I just feel that the next step you have to be more positive , with decisions, batting, fielding , and bowling . If you don't believe you can win you never will.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 12, 2010, 01:42 PM
Beamer's Avatar
Beamer Beamer is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: December 15, 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.
Posts: 9,707

I can't say that I disagree with Biggles here. The team has shown such a negative attitude once again by winning the toss and deferring. If you don't go in with a positive attitude and frame of mind, you can't expect to compete let alone a win. Very disturbed and shocked. I thought we were slowly changing our mindset with a young positive captain. Anyway, lets see how it plays out, though I don't think we can expect anything good.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
smashyboy smashyboy is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
This is because the England team will have 550 plus on the board and the batsmen will not know whether to attack or defend and indecision costs you wickets.
There won't be confusion there. They will attack. That is the only thing they know
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
ma_o_mati's Avatar
ma_o_mati ma_o_mati is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 4, 2008
Posts: 617

in whatmore, it was mainly the positive attitude, the belief that made us won the games against aus, sa, sri, ind...negative approach over and over....why
__________________
One Sheikh Mujib, one Dr. Yunus, one Nogorbaul James, one Salman Shah, One Maqsoodul Haque, one Shakib-Al-Hasan, One Nazmul Hossain the best bowler and One Bangladesh...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2010
Posts: 75

Bangladesh will come out guns blazing, well Tamin will but I reckon that they will throw their wickets away and I bet that 4/5 of the Bangladesh batsmen give their wickets away and are not got out by England. I hope I am wrong for you but I just dont see any belief after today .
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
cricket_pagol's Avatar
cricket_pagol cricket_pagol is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 20, 2004
Location: Indiana
Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib
Posts: 6,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Bangladesh will come out guns blazing, well Tamin will but I reckon that they will throw their wickets away and I bet that 4/5 of the Bangladesh batsmen give their wickets away and are not got out by England. I hope I am wrong for you but I just dont see any belief after today .
I think we had a really bad first day, Hopefully we will bounce back during the rest of the test match.
__________________
Win Or Lose - We are ALWAYS with you BANGLADESH
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_o_mati
in whatmore, it was mainly the positive attitude, the belief that made us won the games against aus, sa, sri, ind...negative approach over and over....why
we need both. a hybrid of whatmore-siddons philosophy of both gong fu and discipline...pakistan is known for the former, the mental aspects of the game, which propelled them to the world cup win. pakistan may be unpredictable and incosistent but they possess some delightful records, which makes cricket look sexy and gives a mystical element to it. siddons' approach on the other hand is very cut-n-dried cold analytical one with not enough emphasis on the angst-gusto factor
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2010
Posts: 75

Bangladesh need to show what they are made of and at least bat for over a day in the first innings that will at least show some fight. I would love them to score 450 + I mean that . Because it would be a contest at the moment it looked like men against boys. I know the team is young but really it was a shocker by Bangladesh today . I hope England get bowled out for 475 I cant see that though . It takes a couple of bowlers and a couple of batsmen ( Cook nad Pietersen ) to put their hands up , I just cant see Bangladesh doing that after today .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 12, 2010, 05:43 PM
Haradhon Haradhon is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 19, 2004
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,713

Let's say, hypothetically, the first day was the worst day for BD, what do you think the outcome of this match can be considering best case scenario fo BD? Eng score 570 1st innings, BD score 450 with a couple of good knocks from 2/3 batters.
Late 3rd day and on 4th day Eng will have to face BD spinners.
Are Eng going to declare late on the 4th day inviting BD to score 370+ on the 5th day?

The key is BD has to score 400+. If they cannot do it, they are not ready for playing tests competitively.
My heart says, BD will score 400+ in the 1st innings.
It is the BD 2nd innings that worries me.

I know I have to disagree with a whole lot of people in this thread, but I want to wait until the end of 2nd day.

Go BD Go.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
Ananna's Avatar
Ananna Ananna is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 22, 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I would like to just add an unbiased view on Bangladesh. I look at the team and you have some talented players and potential. But I just worry about the mentality of the whole Bangladesh setup. The reason I say this is because Shakib's decision to bowl was the fact that he thought the England Attack may get a few wickets in the morning. I think the only way for you to win a test match is to bat first and put pressure on the opposition by scoring a decent total. Because any team that scores over 300 against you looks like a huge target to your batsmen. The batsmen then panic and you are 40 -4 before you know it. Your bowlers would have more confidence if they had a total of 350 to defend . I hope that I am wrong but I can not see you scoring 450 runs in the total test match . This is because the England team will have 550 plus on the board and the batsmen will not know whether to attack or defend and indecision costs you wickets.

For the rest of the series I hope that you can get some good individual performances. I don't blame siddons either . The old saying you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it applies. I just hope on Day two and the rest of the series we see some fight from your lads.
you are absolutely right. I dont know when was the last time BD batted first after winning the toss irrespective of pitch condition.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 13, 2010, 12:57 AM
Biggles Biggles is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2010
Posts: 75

A better performance on the field today by BD , I just hope they make the most of it when batting . You must at least get 375 1 st innings or this will be a 4 day test match .
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 13, 2010, 01:15 AM
NKVDv2 NKVDv2 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 11, 2010
Posts: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
A better performance on the field today by BD , I just hope they make the most of it when batting . You must at least get 375 1 st innings or this will be a 4 day test match .
Yes, 375 will be an acceptable minimum...barely.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 13, 2010, 02:24 AM
kiriket kiriket is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: October 31, 2009
Location: dhaka
Favorite Player: Sidhu
Posts: 173

আশা করি আমরা প্রথম ইনিংস এ ১৬০ আর ২য় ইনিংস এ ১৩৭ রান করতে পারব। ২ ইনিংস মিলিয়ে মাত্র কয়েক রান কম হবে ৩০০ থেকে। মাত্র কয়েক রান এর জন্য কি আর ব্যাটসম্যান দের দোষ দেওয়া যায়?

In english: we will definitely score more than 400, in fact we may see 3 hundreds 1st time in one innings. ODI cricket showed how far we can bat.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old March 13, 2010, 03:24 AM
tiger_2007 tiger_2007 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 24, 2003
Location: California
Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan
Posts: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
I would like to just add an unbiased view on Bangladesh. I look at the team and you have some talented players and potential. But I just worry about the mentality of the whole Bangladesh setup. The reason I say this is because Shakib's decision to bowl was the fact that he thought the England Attack may get a few wickets in the morning. I think the only way for you to win a test match is to bat first and put pressure on the opposition by scoring a decent total. Because any team that scores over 300 against you looks like a huge target to your batsmen. The batsmen then panic and you are 40 -4 before you know it. Your bowlers would have more confidence if they had a total of 350 to defend . I hope that I am wrong but I can not see you scoring 450 runs in the total test match . This is because the England team will have 550 plus on the board and the batsmen will not know whether to attack or defend and indecision costs you wickets.

For the rest of the series I hope that you can get some good individual performances. I don't blame siddons either . The old saying you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it applies. I just hope on Day two and the rest of the series we see some fight from your lads.
I agree with Biggles for the most part. Bangladesh needs to show some positive attitude. I do blame Siddons for not providing the right decision when we win toss. As a matured individual, you should understand that you do no need to follow history to make a decision to bat or bowl. You do have spinners in the team and you are banking on them. When you don't have quality fast bowlers in the team, why the heck you want to field first. When I saw the score at the first time, I thought that BD lost toss !

Anyway, it is a repitive mistakes as Sakib made the same stupid mistake against India in one-day series played in Dhaka. I am disappointed at Sakib's lack of captaincy.
__________________
[MOD: Please follow the signature rules]
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old March 13, 2010, 01:26 PM
auntu's Avatar
auntu auntu is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: March 7, 2007
Location: elsewhere
Favorite Player: ZAR
Posts: 9,862

When some one took the decision to bowl first in this sort of pitch with 4 spinners in the team.
...

...

...

...
What are you searching for? It's blank and empty.
__________________
﴾اَلَاۤ اِنَّ اَوۡلِيَآءَ اللّٰهِ لَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَيۡهِمۡ وَلَا هُمۡ يَحۡزَنُوۡنَ ۖ ۚ‏ ﴿۶۲
"Listen, the friends of Allah shall have no fear, nor shall they grieve" (Yunus: 62)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old March 13, 2010, 03:02 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

We are the army, the Barmy Army
Oh we are bonkers, and we are mad
We are the loyalest, cricket supporters
That the world has ever had
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old March 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

I-oh, I-oh
We are the Barmy boys
I-oh, I-oh
We are the Barmy boys
We're England's famous cricket fans
We travel near and far
When we're not singing
You'll find us at the bar

Repeat verse one

I-oh, I-oh
You couldn't fill a fridge
I-oh, I-oh
You couldn't fill a fridge
Your mother's wearing Tupperware
Your father's wearing pants
We're all going to a disco dance
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old March 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
shovon13 shovon13 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 27, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,520

we're fine. A score of 600 is not unheard of. Teams score that much on batting pitches few times a year.

Batting could be better. But the inning is not over yet. I still see us avoiding the follow on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket