facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2009, 01:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Default What can Bangladesh do to become a better test side in next 5 years?

Changing the subject to something that is more applicable and can generate ideas to improve our cricketing standard.

What should BCB do in order to make Bangladesh a top test playing country in the next 5 years? We have talented players but they are failing consistently at the highest level be it Test or ODI. They seem to lack professionalism.

Our biggest example should be Srilanka, a south asian country that won the world cup within 14 years of getting Test status and is also a good test team. They did all this while in the midst of civil war and with a population much lower than ours.

I think we need to make fundamental changes to our domestic cricketing structure, have year long leagues with long 3-4 day matches. Also the club coaching and training facilities needs to be upgraded. Finally, school and college cricket needs to be more organized to create a constant flow of players.

We don't necessarily need to step out of test cricket, but maybe we can set our own goals and challenges?(like winning test series against two of the lowest ranked teams within next 4 years, qualifying for Quarter final for ODI WC etc). If we don't challenge ourselves and set a goal, we will be in the current status quo for the next 20 years again..

Last edited by imtiaz82; July 13, 2009 at 08:30 PM..
Old July 11, 2009, 01:45 PM

Yes. The future looks bleak right now. the death of our club cricket was beginning of the end. We dont have a first class structure and competency to sustain Test cricket.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Bangladesh has steadily progressed in the last one year in Test cricket. We have fared far better than before in recent Test matches. Only things that hurt us are two things:

1. Bad scheduling by ICC, influenced by India.
2. Anti-Bangladeshi propaganda such as this, with us falling for it.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Instead of stepping out entirely, why not considering only home tests.

We are still competent in ODIs, so like we can have away ODI tours, but for tests, why not home tests only, until our domestic infrastruture improves.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Instead of stepping out entirely, why not considering only home tests.

We are still competent in ODIs, so like we can have away ODI tours, but for tests, why not home tests only, until our domestic infrastruture improves.
Limiting exposure to Tests of any kind is a no solution. Every time we play a series, we start getting better. We show real promise if we play back to back series. This is one sure way of quickly improving. ICC scheduling with very long gaps between Tests is stabbing us in the back for a very long time.

Limiting Test exposure is NO way of getting better in Tests. It is the equivalent of saying: Don't practice, you'll get better. This type of immature thinking must stop.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Limiting exposure to Tests of any kind is a no solution. Every time we play a series, we start getting better. We show real promise if we play back to back series. This is one sure way of quickly improving. ICC scheduling with very long gaps between Tests is stabbing us in the back for a very long time.

Limiting Test exposure is NO way of getting better in Tests. It is the equivalent of saying: Don't practice, you'll get better. This type of immature thinking must stop.
True, but how about also practicing in domestic cricket..... its much harder fixing your flaws when all you play are players way above your skill level.

Our players barely play any domestic cricket. Most of their exp is sadly international.

Look at other nations. Most of those players play many years in domestic leagues honing their skills, until they make it internationally.

And by having home series, I mean having more than normal, to cover these gaps. Bring over associates for 4 day games too.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

it looks our future is not good from now but if we take 5 years off from the test cricket then we will never again come back... solution is not stop playing test cricket it must be something else
Old July 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
True, but how about also practicing in domestic cricket..... its much harder fixing your flaws when all you play are players way above your skill level.

Our players barely play any domestic cricket. Most of their exp is sadly international.

Look at other nations. Most of those players play many years in domestic leagues honing their skills, until they make it internationally.

And by having home series, I mean having more than normal, to cover these gaps. Bring over associates for 4 day games too.
The most damaging thing is to ask our team to dive into a couple of series every 8 to 12 months. This is what is the root cause of our problem today. We have coach and facilities. We also have domestic cricket now. The structure is far better than 4-5 years ago, and getting better steadily. We have a well-organized structure to produce the cricketers of the future now.

The best thing ICC can do is to give us regular schedule, force fat-a$$ overburdening countries like India to play against us. Limiting us from Test cricket will simply remove us from the Test arena all together.

I also ask all Bangladeshis not to support or entertain such suicidal idea at all.
Old July 11, 2009, 03:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Ash should concentrate more on bowling
Old July 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The most damaging thing is to ask our team to dive into a couple of series every 8 to 12 months. This is what is the root cause of our problem today. We have coach and facilities. We also have domestic cricket now. The structure is far better than 4-5 years ago, and getting better steadily. We have a well-organized structure to produce the cricketers of the future now.

The best thing ICC can do is to give us regular schedule, force fat-a$$ overburdening countries like India to play against us. Limiting us from Test cricket will simply remove us from the Test arena all together.

I also ask all Bangladeshis not to support or entertain such suicidal idea at all.
I never said do a series every 8 to 12 months.

I said consider home test series, but home and away ODI series.

So they can do a normal 2 test, 3 odi at home, then go away and do a 5 odi or 3 odi series, then come back. Or just have more series at home.
Old July 11, 2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
I think the time has come for Bangladesh to step out of test cricket, atleast temporarily for 5 years and concentrate on improving proper first class structure and facilities.

What do you guys think?

in my opinion, this is nonsense idea. It will take another 40 yrs to come back to present stage. we didnt play bad against SL and NZ, since then we didnt play any test. so from where ur question comes from?

get example from zimbabwe. now they cant even compete with bangladesh.

test cricket is all about practice and practice.

we might be beaten by Irish in 20/20. we won series against them recently and most of irish plays in england cricket league, that experience definitely counts.
Old July 11, 2009, 03:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Billah bhai is spot on...if one can't stomach it, they should stop following or start rooting for some other team. We were gifted Test status, you cannot give it back. Let it be taken from us, but we won't give it up. Quitters never prosper.

Our last one year has been replete with "success"...running SA close, all but beating NZ, piling up the 11th biggest 4th innngs total on a subcontinent wicket against a Murali led attack are things everyone talks about.

But what about our series in SA...2 innings defeats and everyone thinks we got killed. But we actually played much closer in those innings defeats than in many of our "closer" tests. first test, when sakib struck 3 times in a spell, we are actually in a position to snatch a first innngs lead. comical running between the wickets, and the usual careless batting ensured 2 innings defeats, where really close games could have been had on the greenest, bounciest tracks BD has played on in years.

No sir, we are improving, don't let an inspired WI C squad convince you otherwise!

BD is a couple decades away from competence, but already we've been competitive. Quitting test cricket will KILL cricket in bangladesh not improve it or fix it. Our funding will be gone, we won't get ODI or T20 tours (we suck there too, in case one has forgotten). No money = no development of infrastructure.

Further, as a test team BCCI has already semi-successfully isolated us, with their evil allies the ECB and CA. if we step out for 5 years, they will never let us back saying "you yourselves admitted you're not good enough for test cricket...frankly we don't want or care for you back."
Old July 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

yes, ICC/cricket is the only sporting association where one team refuses to play another "theoretically" equal team.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

We can't directly control what the ICC does, however, we can start by sticking to a core group of players and stop handing test caps to teenagers (err...no offense to Rubel). We need the current bunch to still be playing test cricket in their late twenties - you can only do so much with a squad of average age 22.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Bangladesh are doing fine in Test cricket. We must sort out our domestic cricket.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I'm more worried about our T20 performances.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

I agree
Old July 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Bangladesh has steadily progressed in the last one year in Test cricket. We have fared far better than before in recent Test matches. Only things that hurt us are two things:

Old July 11, 2009, 04:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Once you stop playing Test cricket you are not real team any more.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

So True.
Old July 11, 2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

If BD pulls themselves out from test for once..there is No chance going back in next 10 years. Everyone(critics) will reduce Bangladesh to below a level where it will be tougher than ever to come back.

We've performed good against India/Aus/SA/NZ at home ground. Infact we came close to win against AUS/SA/NZ.
so I say and agree with Akib bro...that lets stick with Home test series BUT lets Also play One or Two Test series away max. Otherwise we will lose our grounds. But we have to make sure Although test matches are reduced from away games...We MUST Substitute them with ODI's+20's.
Old July 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont think these people get enough exposure, they need to go out and play more. they have to get out of shahebi attitude, both players and officials. if they dont get test cricket, bcb should try to arrange to play in ranji trophy or something similar which are longer versions of the game.

players have to practice lot harder on their fielding and also fitness.they lack professionalism and also patriotism/integrity. bcb should kick them out of national team as soon as they see complacency. bangali understands "beter bari" if u know what i mean.
Old July 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

ICC needs to give us much more better and revised schedule.
Look at this - We are playing a test in the carribean after 5 years. Last time it was in 2004.

ICC is responsible poor schedule. BCB is responsible for being an idiotic org. We have talent.
Old July 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
Cricket Sage

i think we should forfit our T20 status...useless form of the game, its not played much, we suck at it, and it gives our critics fuel on the fire.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:

3. Worst possible umpiring.