facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Where should Mushy bat in tests?
1 0 0%
2 3 5.77%
3 4 7.69%
4 6 11.54%
5 18 34.62%
6 9 17.31%
7 10 19.23%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 0 0%
11 1 1.92%
He shouldn't be in the XI/Other 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Rekindling an old flame - where should Mushy bat in Tests?

I have banged my head on the desk, I have bit my nails all the way up to my elbows, I have punched concrete walls, I have ripped hair off my chandi and even grown a few white ones. We have a guy who has played way more FC matches than most Bangladeshi players can dream of as head coach, we have captains and vice captains that have been around for a while, we even have Chacha in the squad now. What more does it take to realize this guy needs to be given enough games to make one of the middle order positions his own, because when he does, ball will meet mid-bat and the score will tick faster than the frequency with which Bollywood actresses jump into new sets of clothes in the same dance scene?

I'm going - as the Brits and the Aussies would say - bloody bonkers here and may even consider pulling a biggest-slim-shady-fan like plunge if they keep up this idiocy.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

I strongly believe he should bat no. 5. That spot has been occupy by Ash now. He should be given this spot. He is a real test batting prospect. With his BD can build the innings.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I believe 4-5 is the best spot for him. He seems to build innings pretty well, compared to the rest of our players.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
I strongly believe he should bat no. 5. That spot has been occupy by Ash now. He should be given this spot. He is a real test batting prospect. With his BD can build the innings.
Tahole Auntu bhai, vote den, shorom payen na.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Number 5. He's a good batsman...and yesterday he looked solid, Mashallah. I really think he's one of those guys in the team that we can get a long and non-tiring service from.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

In Mushy's earlier days I was in support of him batting at one down but really he has been given plenty of opportunities there and except that one performance against India in WC'07 he hasn't done anything of note. He seems to be doing well in the lower middle order so I think this is where he belongs. Maybe he can be moved up to 6 ahead of Shakib as I think there is enough pressure on Moyna, being the team's premier bowler.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Tahole Auntu bhai, vote den, shorom payen na.
I missed the poll at first or was it there?
Old July 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Asif, koto number e vote chan. After all, he is Mushy, your favorite player!
I think he is best suited for no. 3 since we are speaking of TEST.

Last edited by cricket_dorshok; July 21, 2009 at 02:21 PM..
Old July 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

T1I1, 36 - unfortunate r/o.
T1I2, 37 - bowled by a stunner from Roach.
T2I1, 48 - displayed extreme control before throwing it away.
T2I2, 12 - didn't matter anymore, we were already home.

133 runs @ 33.25. Bat him up the order and he WILL bump that average up by two digits.

And yet we play an uzbuk @ #5.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

133 runs @ 33.25. Bat him up the order and he WILL bump that average up by two digits.

I bet he would have been the top scorer of the series if he was tried at no.5
Old July 21, 2009, 02:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:

Mushy is very susceptible against pace and bounce. His pretty good (compared to the rest of BD players) average of 33 against a pretty average bowling attack on a pretty placid ‘DESHI” wicket is anything but an indication that he would do better at the top of the order. His batting has been found wanting on numerous occasions against good pace bowling as he is almost always comprehensively beaten by pace and shows a shambolic sign of not knowing where his off stump is. He is definitely one of our most reliable batting prospects but that’s not at the top….it’s at the late middle order….I think he’s perfect where he is.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
BC Editorial Team

Mushy is fine where he is. He can shepherd the tail if there's a collapse, and as he proved against Steyn & co., can hit out when he wants to.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

When the shoes don't fit the feet you don't cut them off. Trouble is not Mushy playing at lower order, but the top order's premature failure leading to collapse. We need someone reliable like him down the order to consolidate. As for top order collapsing, there should be another fix for that.

Old July 21, 2009, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Mushy is very susceptible against pace and bounce. His pretty good (compared to the rest of BD players) average of 33 against a pretty average bowling attack on a pretty placid ‘DESHI” wicket is anything but an indication that he would do better at the top of the order. His batting has been found wanting on numerous occasions against good pace bowling as he is almost always comprehensively beaten by pace and shows a shambolic sign of not knowing where his off stump is. He is definitely one of our most reliable batting prospects but that’s not at the top….it’s at the late middle order….I think he’s perfect where he is.
Yes he's had problems facing quality pace in the past, but remember this? If he can do that to Steyn and co., who is to say he can't get better the more he bats? We always talk about how Bangladesh needs to play more to overcome their weaknesses. The same should apply to individuals as well, no? As of now, he hardly gets to play quality fast bowling, thanks to the team management.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Imrul or Zunaed are not viable options against quality opponents. Tamim needs partner. Rahim batted at #3 with ease before and he is the only person who does not seem to think that all balls are meant to go outside the rope. He is good against seam bowling as well (remember the last england tour). I think he should open with Tamim.
Old July 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Yes he's had problems facing quality pace in the past, but remember this? If he can do that to Steyn and co., who is to say he can't get better the more he bats? We always talk about how Bangladesh needs to play more to overcome their weaknesses. The same should apply to individuals as well, no? As of now, he hardly gets to play quality fast bowling, thanks to the team management.
As an addendum: Actually, if you think about it, in test cricket, one would have to face quality fast bowling irrespective of where he bats. Sure, we don't want to lose quick wickets early on, but that's what the openers/the one-down batsman are for. On the other hand, #4 should go to someone who can really buckle down and lead the batting. Which leaves only #5 and #6 open as far as "official batting positions" are concerned. I would be pleased to see Mushy at any of these positions. The reason I went with 5 and not 6 is because, IMO, it makes slightly more sense, now that the spot has opened up. Unless Shak wants to move up too.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Number 5. He's a good batsman...and yesterday he looked solid, Mashallah. I really think he's one of those guys in the team that we can get a long and non-tiring service from.
He is good where he is at in Test. Gilchirst, McCullam, Dilshan, all are capable of playing up the order. Yet one must ask why they don't play up the order or taken off from the glove duties (in case of Sangakkara)? Yes, Mushi is still young, if he is promoted then bring in a Genuine Wicketkeeper. Let him be in the team as a batsman. You know he can be very annoying to the batsman screaming from silly point, short mid off etc. At your face is over whelming.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; July 21, 2009 at 03:54 PM..
Old July 21, 2009, 03:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Most of our top orders face problem while facing quality pacers, We are weak against pace. Especially those deliveries coming towards the body.

Look at Raqibul he is batting at 4 the center of the bating line up he has probe against short deliveries and as well as tends to play rooted his foot in the crease while playing deliveries outside off stump.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: JOBG

he is fine where he is. #6*

If you wanna make him #5, I assume you would want either rokibul or shakib to bat #6, which is not a very good idea IMO. The only way he could be #5 without changing the batting order is to drop the third opener....sending either rokibul or shakib first down....again not a very good idea.

*not counting ashraful. His presense is very brief on the crease...so I think we should just assume a 10 man batting squad.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Just a question - a lot of people are saying they're OK with where he is and voting for #6. But in reality, he doesn't bat at #6 - he bats at friggin' #8 most of the time!

So do you guys actually mean 6 or 8?
Old July 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
I don’t quite rely on one off inning…………..but for the sake of argument, looking at the score card even Zunaed (who is fast bowlers dummy against short balls because of his stamped front foot batting) scored 60 some runs. Either Styen had a bad day or the pitch was not fast and bouncy enough. But take a look at the 2nd inning, Mushy is again bowled. It would’ve nice to see how many times he’s been bowled in his short career.

But don’t get me wrong…..I like Mushy a lot in fact enough to consider him as captain material beside Shakib but I truly believe he’s got issues with real pace bowling. But I do agree with your logic that without proper exposure no one can get better……but didn’t he get enough chances? Why ruin a position that he made his own and have been performing well in? If he fails to capitalize on a top order batting position who’s to say he will not lose his confidence and stop performing all together. I don’t think our brittle batting order can afford such experimentation right now.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
If he fails to capitalize on a top order batting position
Bhaiya, touba touba. I would never want him to play in the top order, at least not in tests. Not in ODIs either, now that we have other more capable people up there. I was just hoping he would get pushed up to 5 or even 6, instead of 8.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Just a question - a lot of people are saying they're OK with where he is and voting for #6. But in reality, he doesn't bat at #6 - he bats at friggin' #8 most of the time!

I guess everyone thought you asked that after how many wickets are down, he should come onto bat! (Me too)...so my answer goes to 6 as well (tho i voted for 4)
Old July 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: JOBG

Quote:

a test match batting order

1 Tamim Iqbal
2 Imrul Kayes
3 Junaed Siddique
4 Mohammad Ashraful
5 Rokibul Hasan
6 Shakib Al Hasan
7 Mushfiqur Rahim
Old July 21, 2009, 03:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

I voted for 6 because this guy can handle the pressure very well so if we have a collapse at the top he can save us insallah.i don't mind him to bat at no 5 either.