facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Are we destroying Raqibul also?

Are we destroying Raqibul also? In my judgment he is the only other (besides Javed Omar) batsman we have who could be a successful boring test batsman. Playing Raqibul in ODI is destroying his mind set. He should not be turned into another Aftab. He has the temperament to stay on the crease for long period thereby tiring the bowler and fielders. For a batsman, this is an asset in the longer version of the game and a liability in the shorter one. Why is he thrust into a situation where clearly not suited?

Old July 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Cant see why Raqib shouldnt be able to moonlight successfully between Test and ODI!

But, I think he should be kept away from T20, though.

Last edited by BanCricFan; July 27, 2009 at 02:26 PM..
Old July 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Yes I think we are destroying Raqibul by playing him T20 and ODI (the way we are using him right now in ODI). Raqibul cannot be Aftab, and trying him to play like Aftab (in ODI) will screw up his career.

In ODI I still see a role of Rakibul in BD team, specially in
1) low scoring pitches.
2) When we have a collupse in the batting order early in the batting line-up.
However if openers clicks and if Ash plays like he did in last ODI i.e. a Rakibul type innings where he prevented a possible collupse but batted too slow facing 95+ balls, Rakibul's role kind of noit needed in that particular innings. Think about that, if Rakibul would clicked in last ODI and Ash wouldn't get run out, we would have over compensated batting collupse by batting too slowly and spending 200+ balls with a SR of 60 and end up scoring 180+ runs for 6 wickets (or so) in 50 overs.

If Ash plays the way he played last ODI, I wouldn't want two players with lower SR comming one after another. Now if we think that Ash's slow RR is not the norm just an exception, even then if our top three are successful, I would rather hope captain would be innovative enough to skip Rakibul and promote himself, Ryiad, Rahim and Naeem ahead of Rakib to set a target of 280+.

As I see, Rakib's only role in ODI is only when we have batting collupse and we need someone to hold in one end. Otherwise he should be skipped of his ususal position of #4 aqnd let other bat infront of him.
Old July 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Mamu is right...good observation and true that Raqibul might head to the same direction if not guided properly.

Should I change the way he got out to my avator!
Old July 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Cant see why Raqib shouldnt be able to successfully moonlight between Test and ODI!

But, I think he should be kept away from T20, though.
agree. and I think he enjoys playing cricket, he does not look serious on the crease.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Rakib could be kept only for test matches but that would be a wastage of his tallents. Problem with our team is that we don't play too many tests, so keeping a player exclussively for 2/3 test in a year doesn't make sense unless he is completely JO.

If prevention is better than cure, then it's better to keep him in opening ODIs with Tamim to avoid collapse. in ODIs the lower order needs to prevent collapse and score runs at the same time. in opening he can take some time to get settled. We don't need two explossive in opening slot. Rakibul is good in rotating strike as well. Once he gets set he can play good cricketing shots.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

You guys dont seem to have any idea what you're talking about.

He's fine in ODI atm.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Rakibul has the characteristics of a consistent performer and unless he is guided properly i can see him losing his way. he should be groomed to be successful in test matches and like Fazal said used in a flexible manner in ODI. He should not stop playing ODIs as then we would get only a handful of international matches per year and then lose his sharpness.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: 6+4=10 Dulkar

i also think mahmudullah will also be a successful test crckter...............
Old July 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
You guys dont seem to have any idea what you're talking about.
I guess what you meant is "I have no idea what you're talking about". Right?

Unless ofcourse you are one of those self proclaimed (other people's) mind readers in this forum.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Test or ODI? "Does Raquibul have sound batting techniques?" is perhaps a more relevant question. Raquibul had brought in a couple of things that was sorely missing in the Bangladesh batsmen:

1. He could put a ball away in the gully gap with a very soft touch. No "rush-of-blood" that had become a trademark of our outs.

2. Second, his cover drive. This bread and butter shot does not need to be hurried or pushed. Yet, most of our batsmen never had a solid, compact cover drive. I hardly see Tamim play it even now. After Raquib comes in, I noticed even Ash was trying to improve his own cover drive.

We all know he can occupy the middle and score runs at the same time. That 2nd Test 2nd innings he played with Sakib would actually qualify for a good, solid ODI one. He also has an ODI average that is much better than his brief Test career at present. I don't think he should stop playing ODIs.

There is one point to ponder about his outs. More than once, I've seen him getting out while playing classic, sound techniques against seamers. After watching his videos multiple times, I am convinced it has to do with bounce. If there is an extra bounce, or even normal bounce off hard pitches, he gets beaten. He gets surprised also.

If you think about it, Raqibul spent countless hours on low, dust-bowl pitches in Bangladesh, playing perhaps thousands of deliveries. He scored so many runs. This prolonged practice gave him the patience and skills that have made him successful. however, this also might have given him some bad habits, such as, left elbow may not be too high while playing on hard pithces. He may need to adjust his reflexes also.

Once he gets to play more bouncy, faster deliveries, he will be much much better. So, he actually needs the ODI exposure to improve.

My 2 cents.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:38 PM
Cricket Guru

My observation is that he has front foot bias (like most Bangladeshi batsmen), and often fail to go on backfoot when needed. As billah bhai pointed out, that habit is there because you play majority of your shots on frontfoot on low-slow subcontinental pitches. So, yes, I also think he needs more experience playing outside subcontinent, not less.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
I also think he needs more experience
I too think that's the key. Although he did well to pile up 40 or so runs in the first inning of the second test, the way he got out was pathetic. He was hit on the forearm a couple of deliveries earlier and that totally took his focus off his batting. He was scared, did well to duck a screaming bouncer the next ball, but then stood his ground and merely poked at a full pitched delivery wide of off stump and through to the keeper.

Batsmen, especially in test cricket, need to be tougher than that. Everyone gets hit once in a while, but international batsmen shouldn't let that unsettle them. Again, as you guys have pointed out, this may be because of the slow/low surfaces back home and the 70 mph bowlers that he is so used to. The more he plays, the better he will get, because he certainly seems to have the ability to learn.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Dude if anything, I sometimes really wonder what Naeem Islam is doing in the team...He doesnt look anything more than a part time offspinner who will get r@ped by any decent player of spin bowling (remember T20 and Yuvraj)....He is neither a very good batsmen. He has nil footwork..

anyways thats just my 2 cents...
Old July 27, 2009, 03:09 PM
Street Cricketer

I think raqibul should be given low order batting where he can do sumthing for the team wen everyone collapses.....
Old July 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR
I think raqibul should be given low order batting where he can do sumthing for the team wen everyone collapses.....
How about letting him bat where he is right now so that he can do something for the team by making sure no one collapses?
Old July 27, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

well I don't see any problem of having him in ODI side(except T20), we need Raquib to solidify our innings from sudden collapse that we have been witnessing for long time as chronic diseas in our batting. His technique is very solid, he for some reason remind me of Rahul Dravid, and I myself sometime say oh well we've got one Rahul in our own team which for some reason gives me kind of feelings of relief. I think we should wait and give him sometime before rusing to our inconvincble judgement.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Dude if anything, I sometimes really wonder what Naeem Islam is doing in the team...He doesnt look anything more than a part time offspinner who will get r@ped by any decent player of spin bowling (remember T20 and Yuvraj)....He is neither a very good batsmen. He has nil footwork..

Nayeem is Good batsman cum spinner, only problem is that he is coming in so late order that he doesn't have time to adjust or show his ability. But believe me this guy can bat.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Yes I think we are destroying Raqibul by playing him T20 and ODI (the way we are using him right now in ODI). Raqibul cannot be Aftab, and trying him to play like Aftab (in ODI) will screw up his career.

In ODI I still see a role of Rakibul in BD team, specially in
1) low scoring pitches.
2) When we have a collupse in the batting order early in the batting line-up.
However if openers clicks and if Ash plays like he did in last ODI i.e. a Rakibul type innings where he prevented a possible collupse but batted too slow facing 95+ balls, Rakibul's role kind of noit needed in that particular innings. Think about that, if Rakibul would clicked in last ODI and Ash wouldn't get run out, we would have over compensated batting collupse by batting too slowly and spending 200+ balls with a SR of 60 and end up scoring 180+ runs for 6 wickets (or so) in 50 overs.

If Ash plays the way he played last ODI, I wouldn't want two players with lower SR comming one after another. Now if we think that Ash's slow RR is not the norm just an exception, even then if our top three are successful, I would rather hope captain would be innovative enough to skip Rakibul and promote himself, Ryiad, Rahim and Naeem ahead of Rakib to set a target of 280+.

As I see, Rakib's only role in ODI is only when we have batting collupse and we need someone to hold in one end. Otherwise he should be skipped of his ususal position of #4 aqnd let other bat infront of him.

good post, have to disagree on a few points.

1) rock's position - he should be batting at 3, to play the ashraful type 57 off 95. Rock has shown the ability to accelerate and build his scores (witness his 89 against India and 83 against UAE), a slow start from a top 3 batsmen does not necessarily spell a small 50 overs total.

2) ash should bat at #4 in ODIs, i am not convinced that he can bat in the top 3, because at his best, he will get you the type of steady innings he gave us yesterday, which was good enough to beat a minnow like WI/ZIM/IRE, but won't be good enough to beat a G7 team unless he bats till the 40th over (unlikely for any player, especially for ashraful).

3) with tamim, ash, sakib, we have players who can score at a run a ball. if one of those guys bats through even half of the last 10 overs, we can build a decent score with riyad, mash, razzak blasting at the tail. in that light, it is necessary for us to have junaid, rock, mushy (who may be expendable in the ODI game) as anchor type players. come new year, we'll have aftab to add to the list of free-scorers.

4) India is perhaps the only team that has 1-7 batsmen who can score at a run a ball, but even in the heyday of dravid and ganguly, they had 2 slower batsmen in the top 5-6 spots. i don't believe the ODI game is changing as we had first thought with the predicited "twentytwentification" yielding 350+ totals on a consistent basis. at least not as heavily as we thought. there was a point when we assumed that a strong team would rack up 350 every third game, and 250 totals would no longer be suffucient to defend. but given the right pitch, i think our slow bowlers can make a 240 total competitive more often than not.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 27, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo

Nayeem is basically a batsman and a part time off spinner. He is a very good batsman having good first class records. He needs a few deliveries before scoring runs freely. His bad luck is he never got the chance to bat up the order. He is basically a longer version player. I don't know why the selectors are playing with him. He should have been in the test squad. But the selectors dropped him from the test side and brought him in the ODIs.

This is his carrer records. Look at his first class and list A averages.

Batting and fielding averages
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Tests 2 4 0 44 19 11.00 132 33.33 0 0 6 0 1 0
ODIs 12 9 4 163 46* 32.60 306 53.26 0 0 14 3 6 0
T20Is 3 3 0 50 28 16.66 43 116.27 0 0 1 3 0 0
First-class 47 80 8 2518 126 34.97 5746 43.82 4 17 35 1
List A 46 43 11 1142 81 35.68 1741 65.59 0 8 24 0
Twenty20 4 4 0 70 28 17.50 65 107.69 0 0 3 3 0 0

He has saved BD several times in academy level by playing excelling innings. Look at the number of 100s and 50s he got.

Please take a look at few of the matches where he performed exceptionally well.
Nayeem Scoring 136 Against SA Academy

Naeem saves Bangladesh the blushes

Islam leads Bangladesh's steady reply

Batsmen draw level for Sri Lanka

Naeem leads Bangladesh to series win

Our problem is we are so much incapable of handling good potentials. We are trying to convert a good batsman to a bowling all rounder which is not a good sign.

Last edited by WarWolf; July 27, 2009 at 03:39 PM..
Old July 27, 2009, 03:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

Raqib is fine he should play test and ODI but NOT 20/20. enough said lets move on
Old July 27, 2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Our problem is we are so much incapable of handling good potentials.
I agree with this comment in general. I think we get the line up all wrong - both in tests and ODIs - more often than desirable. I realize the management is still in the process of figuring out the right combination - and that's fine - but in the process they are under utilizing some players and trying to make out of others what they are not.

As far as I'm concerned, you either pick them, or you don't.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf

Our problem is we are so much incapable of handling good potentials. We are trying to convert a good batsman to a bowling all rounder which is not a good sign.
... in other words we try to re-invent the wheel.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Yes.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
Cricket Guru

BTW, in the last ODI, Raqib was doing fine till he failed to pick up that yorker from Roach early enough (may be he was expecting a bouncer from Roach?). Once again, I don't think it happened because what format he was playing, it happened because of his inexperience against quality pacers.