facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 2, 2009, 07:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Default Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Batsman

Quote:
30 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 32.3 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 22.8 runs

Good start, raised expectations.

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 29.6 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 27.6 runs

Slight decline with improved consistency.

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 2.7 runs or (-) 8.4%

> Filtered average score: +4.8 runs or 21.1%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 16.7%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 50.0%

60 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 28.4 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 26.1 runs

Decent start, good by BD standards, for a TO batsman.

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 28.0 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 23.8 runs

3 of his big scores here, 90-60-54, came against an associate side.

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 0.4 runs or (-) 1.4%

> Filtered average score: (-) 2.3 runs or (-) 8.8%

Pretty much the same with consistency dropping a bit more.

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 23.3%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 50.0%
Once fit and performing, I expect him to replace Raqibul or Junaid or Ashraful (in tests).
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 2, 2009, 08:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Aftab Ahmed Chowdhury, Batsman

Quote:
27 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 16.9 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 15.8 runs

Not a good start for a batsman.

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 17.1 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 15.9 runs

Practically no change.

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +0.2 runs or 1.2%

> Filtered average score: +0.1 runs or 0.6%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 3.7%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 51.8%

80 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 15.9 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 11.5 runs

Not a good start for a batsman.

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 14.8 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 10.9 runs

No comment.

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 1.1 runs or (-) 6.9%

> Filtered average score: (-) 0.6 runs or (-) 5.2%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 17.5%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 55.0%
Alongside Alok, I don't see him coming back barring major catharsis.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 2, 2009, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

To the Ashraful-mad supporters, this would be my comment:

I also agree that Ashraful is Bangladesh's best batsman potentially. However, a batsman is ultimately judged on the number of runs he scores and also when he scores those runs.

So, talent really means nothing unless application, patience [ particularly, in tests ] and displaying a sense of responsibility are taken into account.

Despite his huge potential, sadly, he fails, on all three above more or less. It is not just that he gets out but the manner in which he gets out. His first two ODI knocks in this series were good. But even here what on earth was he trying to do clearing deep mid-off when the game was under-control. In fact, he brought his fifty up with another similarly ill advised six which just clearled the fielder at long-off !

I was at Cardiff when he scored his great 100. Yet, the very next ball he wanted to clear long-on. Cardiff is a big ground. The game was not sewn up by then. We still needed 35 odd to win ! More importantly, he was the set batsman. Why do that ? Playing to his gallery , no doubt.

He appears to have a huge psychological need to impress. Not realising a controlled match winning innings would earn far more respect than the hurrah sixes which only will impress a limited constituency of ill-informed Johnny-come-lately cricket supporters [ sic ]. Riyad's innings which also could have been Mushfiq's had he not been given out, is rightly praised for its application. He also scored quick runs in the end. But he didn't throw his wicket away. Naeem did but that was at the very end after his onslaught at the start of the powerplay guaranteed our win.

So was Shakib's brilliant chase in the second ODI ably assisted by Rakib, who, in fact, led the controlled chase.

Ashraful would probably chase harder. But he does not seem to take the responsibility to carry on and finish off the job. That is the problem.

It's the psychology, stupid.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

If you look at Sohel's stats, Ashraful's figures are really terrible ! How did our potentially best batsman end up in such a sorry state ?
Old August 2, 2009, 08:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Sohel, your stats are illuminating. Even , removing hi/lo for consistency is a good idea but , fortunately, does not make a big difference.

The only thing I would ask for is another stat leaving the minnows out. Since all of them may not have played all the minnow matches.

Khali mathey run kora to kono bepar na !
Old August 2, 2009, 08:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk

Don't Agree. Pick up a bat and try to execute a cover drive on a ball(yes, a stationary ball). See how often you hit the middle.

As for the minnows, why? SN scored centuries against
zimbo. If it were that easy, why did no one else scored as much as himself? I'd take a consistant minnowbasher over flukes anyday.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Sohel, your stats are illuminating. Even , removing hi/lo for consistency is a good idea but , fortunately, does not make a big difference.

The only thing I would ask for is another stat leaving the minnows out. Since all of them may not have played all the minnow matches.

I do mention associate sides when they're involved in the patches ...

Removing the high and low when gauging patches of 10 matches, makes a difference IMHO when we have rare high or low scores, as exemplified by Alok's most recent patch. Totally agro without that excellent 115.

Use someone like Sangakkara as a frame of reference and it becomes obvious that we have ways to go.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

I do mention associate sides when they're involved in the patches ...

Use someone like Sangakkara as a frame of reference and it becomes obvious that we have ways to go.
True. The question is if we are on the right track. From Bulbul to Riyad, has the class of our batters improved, or are we circling in the same accursed cycle of midiocry?

Sohel Vai, could you do a generationwise study of our stream of batters?
Old August 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraji
True. The question is if we are on the right track. From Bulbul to Riyad, has the class of our batters improved, or are we circling in the same accursed cycle of midiocry?

Sohel Vai, could you do a generationwise study of our stream of batters?
We have the same infrastructure issues such as quality domestic pitches, FC, and not enough A Team tours in light of the qualitative differences plaguing us. Until and unless those issues are properly addressed, our rate of improvement will continue to stagnate.

I'll do a cross generational study when the current bunch of guys, McInnes' boys I believe to be the best generation yet, play more matches. As far the older guys are concerned, with the possible exception of Yususf Babu, NQ Lintu, Daulat Zaman, Nannu, Bulbul, and the earlier HaBa in tests I don't think they could compete at this level.

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 09:00 AM..
Old August 2, 2009, 09:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Definition of Success, yes I'm a baseball fan, but unlike baseball, the term "failure" is relative here. Relative to what is considered a good average ...

Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards

> Tests (182 innings): 37.9% ... (or in baseballspeak where .300 makes you great).379
>ODIs (167 innings): 33.5% ... (or in baseballspeak where .300 makes you great).335

Brian Charles Lara

> Tests (232 innings): 35.4% ... .354
>ODIs (287 innings): 28.4% ... .284

Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar

> Tests (261 innings): 36.4% ... .364
> ODIs (415 innings): 32.3% ... .323

Ricky Thomas Ponting

>Tests (224 innings): 37.5% ... .375
> ODIs (306 innings): 30.4% ... .304

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 09:33 AM..
Old August 2, 2009, 09:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Sir Donald George Bradman

> 80 Test innings: 52.2% or .525!

Sir Garfield St Auburn Sobers

> 160 Test innings: 35.0% or .350.
Old August 2, 2009, 10:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Definition of Success, yes I'm a baseball fan, but unlike baseball, the term "failure" is relative here. Relative to what is considered a good average ...

Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards

> Tests (182 innings): 37.9% ... (or in baseballspeak where .300 makes you great).379
>ODIs (167 innings): 33.5% ... (or in baseballspeak where .300 makes you great).335
Sorry ! Could you explain how you came to 37.9%. I am not familiar with the calculation of baseball stats ? Is it number of hits ? But surely that is not what you mean.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TAmim + Ash

Why dont u guys get it. Ash Is under immense pressure these days which is why he isnt scoring big. HE was probably inconsistent in his early days, but i thick now he has the power to change that. He just got unluck in the third ODI.
THese days Ash is getiing out trying to defend instead of trying to hit it big like he used to. SO i think that this is the first step.
Guys please give ASh a break. I get frustrated at him the most everytime BD loses but he is also human. SO leave ASh alone. If ASh was the captain for this tour, I think Bangladesh still would have won the test matches and the ODI

As for Sakib, the way he got out at the third ODI was totally pathetic. He swung hard at three consective delevires and missed. ANd them then he swung at the fourth and got out. He still has alot to prove.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Sorry ! Could you explain how you came to 37.9%. I am not familiar with the calculation of baseball stats ? Is it number of hits ? But surely that is not what you mean.
Assuming that a 50+ score is considered success for a batsman, I looked at his 5+ scores. Sir Viv scored 24-100s and 45-50s or 69 50+ scores in 182 test innings. I divided 69 by 182 to arrive at 37.9%. I didn't calculate failure for him. Looking at his test average of 50.23, should anything less than that be considered failure? Or do do we go with a more conventional average ranging from 30 to 35 considered acceptable? Or do we go with his team batting average during the span of his career?

Defining "failure" for Bangladeshi batsmen at this stage was easier because most of our guys are at 20 something. So I looked at the percentage of scores from 0-19 for each one of our batters.

In baseball, batting .300 refers to getting to 3 hits every 10 at bat. Getting out, no batter how good the pitch may or may not be, is considered failure, as simple as that. Stats do keep track of the nature of dismissals down to the last detail (strike outs, different ground and fly outs outs in a variety of game situations, and against particular types of pitches during particular strike to ball counts) and fielding errors, if any played a part in a particular out. Fielding errors are scored officially, and fielding excellence kept track of.

All the stats help create a particular series of pitches for a particular batter in particular situations. Batters are also aware of the situation and try to beat the pitcher by finding holes in his repertoire according to the game situation, also studied in great detail. This explains all of the signaling in baseball. At the end of the day, it's incredibly difficult to get a hit or manufacture a run with a quality pitcher on the mound. Then you have to deal with role playing relief pitchers, usually from the seventh inning, and closers in the 9th, provided the game doesn't go to extra innings.

Different kinds of hits (base hit, double, triple, home run), their nature (line or lofted drive to particular places in the field), particular steals in particular situations, and foul balls in particular situations are recorded for batters.

Hope this clarifies things a little ...

Last edited by Sohel; August 10, 2009 at 03:51 PM..
Old August 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
Cricket Legend

T_E, is this analysis for Test or ODI? Have considered not out innings when you calculated your avarages?

I am assuming you have included stats from WI tour, and that should explain why current players have bloated averages comparing to ICL rebels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Anything under 20 gets red. 20+ gets a green. Bolds are the leader of the column.

Test1st 10 inningsAve10 inn - (high and low)Ave of previous columnLast 10 inningsAve10 inn - (high and low)Ave of previous columnDifference (Avg)Difference (Avg filtered)
Alok26926.9018423.0012412.4010513.13-14.50-9.88
Aftab16916.9012615.7517217.2012816.000.300.25
S Nafees32332.3018222.7529629.6019424.25-2.701.50
Ash21521.509912.3821121.1010913.63-0.401.25
Shakib21521.5017121.3835935.9026332.8814.4011.50
Tamim25225.2016821.0032932.9020125.137.704.13
Mushi13813.80587.2533933.9027033.7520.1026.50
Raqib22922.9016420.50
Junaed18918.9011514.3829829.8021627.0010.9012.63

The current versus the old.
The Good:
Current is boss. Exceptional performance change for Mushi, Shakib and Junaed. Tamim getting better as well. Raqibul just finished his 10th innings.

The Bad:
OLD is baad. Very bad. Shariar Nafees still holds better average than Ash in all category.

Ash has no justification on holding on to #2 spot.

The Ugly:
Looking at all the numbers i felt sorry for Aftab. He has only 1 fifty against England that is all.

Kicking Alok out was justified and some.
Old August 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

With statsguru, I find it easier to filter stats from a specific period. So, I have filtered ODI stats from post WC'07 period, from 01 May 2007 to 30 Apr 2009, excluding stats against Zimbabwe, Ireland and our recent matches against a severely weak WI team.

Here is my finding -

Batsman (# of ODIs) - Avg
Raqib (15) - 26.78
Tamim (32) - 26
Sakib (26) - 25.12
Alok (9) - 22.77
Ashraful (32) - 22.46
Aftab (13) - 20
Zunaed (15) - 15.33
Mushfiq (21) - 12.73
SN (10) - 12.70

Younger batsman are doing better, but not by a huge margin.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Here are stats for handful of Test matches we played in 01 May 2007 to 30 Apr 2009 period -

Batsman (# of innings) - Avg
Sakib (22) - 26.47
Mushfiq (23) - 24.85
Aftab (7) - 23.80
Tamim (18) - 22.83
Ashraful (28) - 22.74
SN (18) - 22.66
Zunaed (19) - 21.52
Raqib (6) - 14.60

*Alok has not played any Test in this period.

Once again, no big difference between older and younger batsmen.
Old August 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

JO averaged 21.66 in 10 innings he played in this period, no worse than Tamim, SN, or Zunaed!

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...g;view=innings
Old August 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Arrow Recent ODI Form: Last 10 Matches

Last 10 ODI innings as of August 10th, 2009

Quote:
I looked at the following:

1. RPI: Just runs per innings, not counting not outs in the traditional manner.
2. FRPI: Filtered runs per innings, dropped the highest and lowest scores to get a better idea of consistency.
3. SR: Overall strike rate.
4. CSR: Current strike rate.
5. SRO: Success rate overall, 50+ scores considered success, and looking at the top batsmen in world cricket, 30.0%+ or at least 3 out of 10 is considered excellent.
6. SRC: Success rate current.

I will update the numbers after every match, but without some of the extensive comments.
1. Tamim Iqbal: RPI-23 ... FRPI-20.9 ... SR-70.21 ... CSR-63.5 ... SRO-17.5% ... SRC-10.0%

Strike rate has dropped quite a bit, suggesting a more cautious approach. But that has not translated into more 50+ scores or SRC. Needs to get bigger scores more often.

2. Junaid Siddique: RPI-18.8 ... FRPI-16.5 ... SR-55.5 ... CSR-65.5 ... SRO-9.5% ... SRC-10.0%

Unacceptably low strike rate has increased quite a bit, reaching the 70s and suggesting a more aggressive approach. But that has not translated into more 50+ scores or SRC. Needs to rectify his front foot technique in order to safely maintain his place as opener.

3. Mohammad Ashraful Motin: RPI-31.2 ... FRPI-25.8 ... SR-72.5 ... CSR-69.2 ... SRO-15.4% ... SRC-30.0%

Strike rate has decreased a little, suggesting a more cautious approach, and that has translated into world class 50+ scores or SRC. The light is a glorious green at the moment, but the question remains: for how long? Let's hope for a long time.

4. Mohammad Roqibul Hasan: RPI-21.1 ... FRPI-19.3 ... SR-59.7 ... CSR-53.6 ... SRO-19.2% ... SRC-10.0%

Already low strike rate has decreased even more, suggesting a more cautious approach, but that has not translated into more 50+ scores or SRC. He plays a lot of balls straight to the fielder, not rotating the strike as he should. This underlines his limitations as a batter who doesn't sight the ball early enough to know where it will end up after it is played. Bats too far up the order with that liability and should be demoted further down if the selectors persist with him as an ODI batsman. Someone with better ability like Naeem Islam will do better here, or when he comes back, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

5. Shakib Al Hasan: RPI-37.5 ... FRPI-36.9 ... SR-71.9 ... CSR-93.1 ... SRO-22.2% ... SRC-40.0%

Easily the most productive and consistent batsman in the team at the moment. His already high strike rate has sky rocketed recently, suggesting a more aggressive approach. His ability to rotate the strike effectively contributes to the excellent numbers, and gives him a remarkable 40.0% SRC.

6. Mohammad Mushfiqr Rahim: RPI-13.5 ... FRPI-11.6 ... SR-56.3 ... CSR-64.0 ... SRO-4.7% ... SRC-0.0%

Technically compact, he bats too low down the order. But that fact is often mitigated by the traditional failure of some of our top order batters every other match. Unacceptably low strike rate has improved a bit, suggesting a more aggressive approach. But that hasn't translated into the runs he's easily capable of scoring. Needs to bat further up the order.

7. Mohammad Mahmudullah: RPI-19.0 ... FRPI-17.0 ... SR-63.9 ... CSR-59.0 ... SRO-9.1% ... SRC-10.0%

Bats low down the order, but that fact is often mitigated by the traditional failure of some of our top order batters every other match. Low strike rate has gone down even more, suggesting a more cautious approach. His numbers, including SRO and SRC are good within the Bangladeshi context at the number 7 position. He usually takes time settling in with singles from the on side before launching. Developing the ability to take singles from the off side and playing the cut shot more effectively will help him.

8. Mohammad Naeem Islam: RPI-19.2 ... FRPI-20.4 ... SR-57.1 ... CSR-57.1 ... SRO-0.0% ... SRC-0.0%

Bats too low down the order for a batsman with genuine ability. He is being wasted at number 8. An excellent strokemaker, he sights the ball well and can rotate the strike with ease all around the park. Low strike rate needs to improve if and when permitted by match situation. His numbers are very good within the Bangladeshi context at the number 8 position.

Last edited by Sohel; August 11, 2009 at 06:22 AM..
Old August 10, 2009, 09:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

SR decrease:
Could it be this switching from Test to ODIs to T20, to Test etc? Back in the days, batsmen found very difficult to chose modes from Test to ODIs (60 overs).

Some nice stats with some excellent analysis. Naeem will get his chance in due time I think. Next year Raqibul will be dropped from the T20 team. I am just hoping our pace bowlers mature a little quick.

Suggestion:
Ekta table koren. Would be easier to compare.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
Cricket Sage

After reading all the comments and reviewing all that filtered as well as non filtered data, I agree.... Player-ta ASHOLEYEE AKDOM FALTU TYPE-er.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

^^BMTA
Replace Ash with Feza
Old August 11, 2009, 06:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Arrow Current Form

Last 10 innings as of August 11th, 2009

Quote:
1. RPI: Just runs per innings, not counting not outs in the traditional manner.
2. FRPI: Filtered runs per innings, dropped the highest and lowest scores to get a better idea of consistency.
3. SR: Overall strike rate.
4. CSR: Current strike rate.
5. SRO: Success rate overall, 50+ scores considered success, and looking at the top batsmen in world cricket, 30.0%+ or at least 3 out of 10 is considered excellent.
6. SRC: Success rate current.
1. Shakib Al Hasan: RPI 46.2 ... FRPI 42.9 ... SR 71.9 ... CSR 106.5 ... SRO 23.4% ... SRC 50.0%

2. Mohammad Ashraful Motin: RPI 31.6 ... FRPI 26.3 ... SR 72.5 ... CSR 68.3 ... SRO 15.3% ... SRC 30.0%

3. Tamim Iqbal Khan: RPI 29.6 ... FRPI 27.1 ... SR 70.2 ... CSR 69.3 ... SRO 19.0% ... SRC 20.0%

4. Mohammad Roqibul Hasan: RPI 22.3 ... FRPI 20.8 ... SR 59.7 ... CSR 57.8 ... SRO 18.5% ... SRC 10.0%

5. Junaid Siddique: RPI 21.3 ... FRPI 19.6 ... SR 55.5 ... CSR 66.8 ... SRO 9.1% ... SRC 10.0%

6. Mohammad Mahmudullah: RPI 17.0 ... FRPI 14.5 ... SR 63.9 ... CSR 59.0 ... SRO 8.7% ... SRC 10.0%

7. Mohammad Mushfiqur Rahim: RPI 15.6 ... FRPI 14.3 ... SR 56.3 ... CSR 71.6 ... SRO 4.6% ... SRC 0.0%

8. Mohammad Naeem Islam: RPI 14.6 ... FRPI 15.0 ... SR 57.1 ... CSR 63.5 ... SRO 0.0% ... SRC 0.0%

Shakib leads in every area except overall SR. but with his CSR skyrocketing the way it has been, it's just a matter of time. Magura Miandad or Karachi Shakib?

Last edited by Sohel; August 14, 2009 at 09:43 AM..
Old August 12, 2009, 03:01 AM
Cricket Savant

MODS, can you please change the thread title to "Recent Form of Bangladeshi Batsmen"?

Thanking you in advance ...
Old August 12, 2009, 05:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Diversified thinking. Good One. Need to be little constructive.