The rise of Bangladesh Cricket - What are the real factors?
1. World Cup campaign: Playing in bouncy conditions and what more excelling there gave all the playing eleven a sense of satisfaction and just pure confidence in their abilities to express themselves. Bangladesh has always been largely a stroke playing batting nation and they were able to produce shots in pitches and stadiums they have never seen or been to. If that doesn't give confidence to a young team then nothing will, and we saw just that. The team is now back in home conditions so they must have thought if we can do so well in Australia, in home conditions god help those who come against us.
2. Coaching staff: Haturisinghe got it all right. He did not try to curb the natural instincts, which is why time and time again you hear players like Shoumya and Shabbir saying the reason behind them performing is trying to be positive and play like they normally do everywhere else. They remained the same batsmen and played with the freedom which also means a clear head, which results in a definite success with the bat.
3. Mashrafe factor: I can't stress this point enough, for those who don't know he gives the fast bowlers tremendous confidence not only on the field but off the field. I have seen him talking to Taskin numerously and giving Mustafizur the ball to open the bowling for Bangaldesh is just a prime example. He commands respect from each and everyone, he fights till he dies and is generally the best captain Bangladesh has seen and will see for a long time.
4. Settled middle order: Sure Tamim is performing and we got a superstar in the making with Shoumya if he gets his temperment a bit better but it's the likes of Mushfiqur, Riyad and Shakib performing and consistently scoring big runs is forming the foundation for Bangladesh team that is going to take this team a long way.
5. Phenomenal Youngsters: The likes of Taskin, Shabbir, Shoumya and now Mustafizur with the likes of Manik, Haider, Abu Jayed, Liton Das, Rony and the new U-19 stars the team looks year ahead of the pipeline of Pakistan. There is just too much talent sitting outside the team atm. But we have to be careful here, talent does not substantiate to performance, we have to introduce these talents carefully with a planned approach with Senior players around them, the seniors at the same time have to take up the job of mentoring them on and off the field. But yah, exciting exciting time for Bangladeshi cricket.
6. Team building momentum: Momentum is a big thing in cricket, eventhough we are winning home series, the world cup will remain the turning point of cricket in Bangladesh for years to come.
7. Team balance: 9 of the 11 players in the last ODI team could bowl. That is huge. Huge huge factor there. There is a big batting depth too, extends beyond Nasir our number 7, Mashrafee and Sunny can bat. Overall the team balances wonderfully with 9 bowlers, 8 batsmen, medium pacers, fast bowlers, LSAs, Offspinners and Legspinners. You have got everything, Mashrafee must be loving this.
8. Last year's dismal performance: I think last year was a huge tonic for Bangladesh. We got rid of some real bad players and that paved the way for the huge influx of talent we are seeing now.
9. Champions Trophy: One of the motivating factors for all the players playing in Bangladesh is improving their ranking. They surely simply can't take the fact that they can't qualify for Champions trophy being the 9th ranked team after qualifying for Quarters in the WC or they will risk playing the WC Qualifier round for 2019. It has surely hurt their ego and they are out to make a statement.
Now comes the test series, it's actually a bad timing in my opinion. If we get a thrashing somewhere unexpectedly it may hurt their confidence. If not, India and SA are in for the next Bangalwash.
2015 is the year Bangladesh became world beaters.
Taskin Ahmed Tazim - The future (Edited: The future is here. The next big thing for Bangladeshi Cricket.) 143 KPH - 18 years - Against Aussies - 1st April, 2014. 5 - 28 Against- June 17th, 2014.