facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 20, 2014, 12:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Default Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2014

anybody aware that Afghans are touring Zimbabwe ???

Anybody interested in this tour ???

Afghanistan will play 4 ODI's against Zimbabwe and two 4-day matches against ZIM A.

in fact the first ODI has already been played and ZIM won by 6 wickets.

2nd one is to be played today.

FIXTURES

RESULTS

SERIES HOME
Old July 20, 2014, 07:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Afghanistan 256/7 (50.0 ov)

Zimbabwe 137/0 (21.0 ov)

Raza 77*
Masakadza 52*

120 runs more needed to win the 2nd game.
Old July 20, 2014, 07:59 AM
Cricket Sage

166/0

what happened to these afghan superstars? eto mair khaitese keno?
Old July 20, 2014, 08:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Zimbabwe coasting to victory.

166/0 after 25 overs.

Afghanistan for all their talk and plaudits have a LOT of shortcomings. Shapoor is a top bowler but bar him they have no real stand out bowlers. Ghani did well today but I would be VERY doubtful that he is 17 after seeing his picture on cricinfo. Also worth noting that this is far from Zimbabwe's best bowling unit. Shah has disappointed greatly.

Chatara, their star pacer, isnt playing this game and Vitori (i think thats his name) their is also injured. Utseya is seen as useless and Tripano is playing only his 2nd game for them. The folks at the zimbabwe forum regard this as a second string bowling unit and the fact that they relied on their opening batsman to bowl a few overs backs this up.

Even still Afghanistan should be disappointed with the batting IMO. Bar Ghani, no one even reached 30. They lack batting depth thats for sure and if Shenwari or Nabi fail they usually crumble. Looking easy for Zimbabwe now and if this is what the second worst (if not worst) full member is doing to an almost full strength Afghanistan you'd wonder how they wlll do at the World Cup.

The tour (and this match) isnt over yet so they may improve but the Zimboks have ruthlessly exposed Afghanistans weaknesses so far on this tour.

TLDR: Afghanistan crumble under any sort of pressure in spectacular fashion and their youngsters are in all likelihood in their 20s. The last T20 WC was a disaster for them and they never learn from past errors. The next WC will be vital for them
Old July 20, 2014, 08:14 AM
Cricket Sage

^^^^
Vitori is not a spinner. He is a fast bowler.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:15 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
^^^^
Vitori is not a spinner. He is a fast bowler.
Ah apologies. I'm not an expert on the Zimbabwe team. Point still stands though
Old July 20, 2014, 08:25 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

1st foreign tour after a long time against a test playing nation. Give them a break. Weldone Zim.
Old July 20, 2014, 09:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Looking easy for Zimbabwe now and if this is what the second worst (if not worst) full member is doing to an almost full strength Afghanistan you'd wonder how they wlll do at the World Cup.
Hey, I'm offended that you'd even consider us as the worst full member!
Old July 20, 2014, 09:05 AM
Cricket Sage

This tour should bring the Afghan's back down to earth after their antics in the WT20 match. Anyone who's been at BC for longer than jiffy knows how strongly I support the Associates...really wanted them to win a game so we wouldn't be the only team to have lost to them, but they need to work harder instead of aspiring to be Bangladesh v 2.0.
Old July 22, 2014, 07:32 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Your dreams coming true! ^^ Afghanistan going strong!

Old July 22, 2014, 09:42 AM
Street Cricketer

Fair play to them.

Why the hell did Zim bowl Raza at the end though. He went for 25 runs!!
Old July 22, 2014, 09:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Afgan's pull off a victory with 2 balls to spare. In 47th over a boy scores 4 sixes of Shikandar Raza. It was 11.5 runrate, came down to 7. Well done Afgans. Zimbabwe's finishing of their batting innings was bad (7 runs in 8 balls), whereas, Afgans were excellent (16 of the last 8 balls). I think that decided the game.

Nevertheless, the series is 2-1 Zim and still alive. One more game to go.
Old July 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
Street Cricketer

Its becoming so blatantly obvious that in Ireland and Afghanistan you have two teams well capable of playing and beating full members.

While I'm still not convinced about the Afghans, no one can deny their heart and passion. Hopefully the Associates can pull off good results at the next world cup (not against Bangladesh of course ;-) )
Old July 22, 2014, 09:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Ei Afghan der kintu bissho cup e mokabela korbe banglar damal chele ra. হালুম হালুম
Old July 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Its becoming so blatantly obvious that in Ireland and Afghanistan you have two teams well capable of playing and beating full members.

While I'm still not convinced about the Afghans, no one can deny their heart and passion. Hopefully the Associates can pull off good results at the next world cup (not against Bangladesh of course ;-) )
I wouldn't be overly dissappointed if they do it against us, provided we do the same things to the elites.

ICC doesn't want to expand.

These associates need funding and better guidance. ICC is handcuffed by the few boards who only look after their own benefits.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:58 AM
Test Cricketer

History is to be made by afghans!
Old July 22, 2014, 11:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I wouldn't be overly dissappointed if they do it against us, provided we do the same things to the elites.

ICC doesn't want to expand.

These associates need funding and better guidance. ICC is handcuffed by the few boards who only look after their own benefits.
I agree, although we've taken such a beating from both ZIM and the associates that I don't want to see us losing to another Associate for the next 10 years. ATMR used to get irked to no end when we'd lose to Associates, and I would always say, "who cares, we've beaten all these top sides". But there comes a point where that isn't good enough. I don't care if we BanglaWash WI or NZ, we need to BanglaWash the Associates for the next 10 years if we want to raise our profile.

That being said, its very good for the Associates that AFG and IRE have both beaten BD and ZIM. AFG are 2 for 2 (Asia Cup and this series).

The World Cup really needs to be 12 teams, keeping the WT20 to 16. Hopefully AFG will have a permanent position at the Asia Cup from now on. Hopefully BD will lend a hand to these assoicates too.

One feels for Ireland, their climate means the rare one off matches they get against Test sides always gets rained out, and they don't get anywhere close to enough fixtures. The FTP really needs to be expanded to the top 6 Associates, or at least have their own FTP.
Old July 22, 2014, 03:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Quote:
I agree, although we've taken such a beating from both ZIM and the associates that I don't want to see us losing to another Associate for the next 10 years. ATMR used to get irked to no end when we'd lose to Associates, and I would always say, "who cares, we've beaten all these top sides". But there comes a point where that isn't good enough. I don't care if we BanglaWash WI or NZ, we need to BanglaWash the Associates for the next 10 years if we want to raise our profile. ....
The keys to my post were dissappointment and elites (Plural). I wouldn't enjoy any loss. Multiple victories to one loss to the Afgans. I'd take that.
Old July 22, 2014, 04:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
The keys to my post were dissappointment and elites (Plural). I wouldn't enjoy any loss. Multiple victories to one loss to the Afgans. I'd take that.
Dorkar kee? We should aim to crush all Associates from now on. No mercy. I've seen enough. Bechara ATMR to khela dekhai bondo kore dise mone hoi. FTP is almost finalized for next 8 years. Given the core group we have (Mushy, Shakib, Mominul, Nasir, Tamim, Anamul, Gazi, Taskin, Al Amin, etc) this is the bear minimum that will satisfy me:

64 Test matches
18 vs ZIM (11-1 at home, 3-2 away)
16 vs NZ (win 2-3 at home, draw 3-4 away)
3-6 vs IND (draw 2)
6 vs AUS (draw 2-3)
8 vs ENG (win 2-3 at home, draw 2-3 away)
4 vs PAK (win 1, draw the rest)
2 vs SL (1-1)
4 vs SA (draw 1)
4 vs WI (win 1, draw the rest)

So out of 46 matches we should win 7-10 with a few draws and lose the rest.

ODIs, we should keep progressing along our 2012-13 curve, and win 18 out aprox 20 encounters with Associates till 2023.
Old July 22, 2014, 05:44 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
I agree, although we've taken such a beating from both ZIM and the associates that I don't want to see us losing to another Associate for the next 10 years. ATMR used to get irked to no end when we'd lose to Associates, and I would always say, "who cares, we've beaten all these top sides". But there comes a point where that isn't good enough. I don't care if we BanglaWash WI or NZ, we need to BanglaWash the Associates for the next 10 years if we want to raise our profile.

That being said, its very good for the Associates that AFG and IRE have both beaten BD and ZIM. AFG are 2 for 2 (Asia Cup and this series).

The World Cup really needs to be 12 teams, keeping the WT20 to 16. Hopefully AFG will have a permanent position at the Asia Cup from now on. Hopefully BD will lend a hand to these assoicates too.

One feels for Ireland, their climate means the rare one off matches they get against Test sides always gets rained out, and they don't get anywhere close to enough fixtures. The FTP really needs to be expanded to the top 6 Associates, or at least have their own FTP.
Banglawash the associates for next 10 years? What is Banglawash?

Bangladesh is not that superior to Ireland and Afghanistan especially over the next 10 years. Besides to whitewash over 10 years you not only need quality players but also different approach/attitude. Bangla players get satisfied very quickly and complacent and then lose. Some of the ODI's in recent time back's this up. There were some ODI's against Sri Lanka that Sri Lanka won out of nowhere. Recent ODI against India getting out for 58 chasing 100 odd total. Losing to Afghanistan from a winning position. Letting them score some 100+ in last 10 overs. Losing to Hong Kong. Bangladesh might have quality players, but they cannot whitewash anything over 10 years. 10 Years ago Afghanistan did not even have cricket team. Just to put the time frame in perspective. Other team like Nepal will also be good in 10 years.
Old July 23, 2014, 01:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandela
Banglawash the associates for next 10 years? What is Banglawash?....
Ask ZIm (5-0) and NZ (4-0).
Old July 23, 2014, 02:51 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

To consistently beat other teams you need to operate at a much higher level than your opposition. You need your game to be so high that even if in every game one or two of your key players fail, you are still good enough with the rest to outclass the opposition. late 90s Australia had such a team where if Hayden, Langer failed then you had Ponting, Gilchrist, Bevan. If Mcgrath failed you had Gillespie, Warne, Lee. That team had quality, an astute leader and a tremendous amount of self belief. Bangladesh do not have a team full of match winners and they do not operate at the same level as the top 8. They do not have the self belief to win from a losing position either. We will get beaten by associates very often and especially under foreign conditions and the best that we can hope for is that we will win the majority of the games we play with them.
Old July 23, 2014, 05:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
To consistently beat other teams you need to operate at a much higher level than your opposition. You need your game to be so high that even if in every game one or two of your key players fail, you are still good enough with the rest to outclass the opposition. late 90s Australia had such a team where if Hayden, Langer failed then you had Ponting, Gilchrist, Bevan. If Mcgrath failed you had Gillespie, Warne, Lee. That team had quality an astute leader and a tremendous amount of self believe. Bangladesh do not have a team full of match winners and they do not operate at the same level as the top 8. They do not have the self belief to win from a losing position either. We will get beaten by associates very often and especially under foreign conditions and the best that we can hope for is that we will win the majority of the games we play with them.
I agree with your definition of "consistent" and for me that cutoff, given Bangladesh's current and projected capability, is 80%, ie a 4-1 result. This is both realistic and expected. Currently (last few years) we have probably been around 50% which is a 1-1 record and that is pathetic over a large sample size. We will of course lose the odd match, even more than the odd match. Pakistan lost to us at Northhampton, Australia in Cardiff (foreign conditions). So if we play enough times, even China will beat us. The important thing is ratio and the comprehensiveness of the victories. Right now, our win-loss record is unacceptable.

Thus I predict that between 3-4 Asia Cups, a WC qualifying tournament, and others, we will probably have 20-30 encounters with Associate sides in the upcoming 8 year FTP. Winning a "simple majority" which is our current rate would be unacceptable. We have to win at least around 25 of those games, leaving us a cushion of still 5 losses to the likes of Nepal and Hong Kong.

In 2006-08, with a far inferior team (SN, Ash, Aftab, Bashar were our go to guys) we had a 20 win, 3 loss record against ZIM + Associates (IRE, KEN, SCO). Thats a whopping 87% that too including a full member and the leading Associates of that time. That is the kind of record we should have (a team like SL will go 23-0), and there is absolutely no reason for us not to have such a record. It is both reasonable and expected.

Our first litmus test will be the coming ZIM series. ZIM are a much better team than the one we used to pummel from 2005-2010, but a 4-1 or 5-0 ODI series win will be a good start.
Old July 23, 2014, 06:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Ask ZIm (5-0) and NZ (4-0).
Add Ireland 3-0 (2008) and 3-0 (2012). Kenya 4-0 and 3-0 (2006). They are Associates who got the Banglawash. Scotland 2-0 (2006).

Oh and almost forgot, NZ again last year 3-0. They are a Test side.
Old July 23, 2014, 06:18 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
I agree with your definition of "consistent" and for me that cutoff, given Bangladesh's current and projected capability, is 80%, ie a 4-1 result. This is both realistic and expected. Currently (last few years) we have probably been around 50% which is a 1-1 record and that is pathetic over a large sample size. We will of course lose the odd match, even more than the odd match. Pakistan lost to us at Northhampton, Australia in Cardiff (foreign conditions). So if we play enough times, even China will beat us. The important thing is ratio and the comprehensiveness of the victories. Right now, our win-loss record is unacceptable.

Thus I predict that between 3-4 Asia Cups, a WC qualifying tournament, and others, we will probably have 20-30 encounters with Associate sides in the upcoming 8 year FTP. Winning a "simple majority" which is our current rate would be unacceptable. We have to win at least around 25 of those games, leaving us a cushion of still 5 losses to the likes of Nepal and Hong Kong.

In 2006-08, with a far inferior team (SN, Ash, Aftab, Bashar were our go to guys) we had a 20 win, 3 loss record against ZIM + Associates (IRE, KEN, SCO). Thats a whopping 87% that too including a full member and the leading Associates of that time. That is the kind of record we should have (a team like SL will go 23-0), and there is absolutely no reason for us not to have such a record. It is both reasonable and expected.

Our first litmus test will be the coming ZIM series. ZIM are a much better team than the one we used to pummel from 2005-2010, but a 4-1 or 5-0 ODI series win will be a good start.
The things is the Associates have all improved greatly since then.Ireland had very few professional players, Kenya were on their last legs and the Scots werent as good as they are now. You also have Afghanistan threatening now

Obviously from you guys point of view you should expect to win at least 90% of games vs Associates. That isnt as easy as it sounds though and it will require your team going out on the pitch with a winning attitude and self belief.