facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 27, 2017, 12:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default Can BCCI survive alone with IPL and the shadow of ICC?

Alright, so we know that BCCI has lost the constitution revamp voting on not just majority but overwhelming majority (9-1) to be exact. The question that is making the round is ok, so now what? From a Bangladeshi fan's perspective I congratulate first our cricket board which did the right thing, standing up for our rights. BCB showed they are not pushovers anymore and showed the signs of a strong rising force even in terms of cricketing powers.

I feel India might take some drastic steps here though, the BCCI is still fighting a battle with Indian court over the control and I feel when they get it back they might take some extreme steps. I wouldn't be surprised with them pulling out of Champions Trophy or sending a C team, I wouldn't be surprised with the Indian companies not sponsoring ICC events for a while, India may even want to play Australia and England in it's soil.
If they don't keep their cool it is, if they keep their cool and realize it is for the greater good that they let this go and focus on other sources of revenue then maybe this talk is redundant, but it will be interesting to see which road they take.

I feel BCCI and Indians need international cricket, there is no use going into isolation. There is a reason 9 other countries voted against your favour. If you think we are going to make billions and only watch IPL, you will be wrong. ICC will come back harder with players and country boards will ban them for life. If you ask Shahriar Nafees and Alok Kapali they will tell you the mistakes they made in their career by joining the runaway league ICL, I am not saying that players won't join but I feel there is more money in BPL and other leagues around the world and you can gain more experience by playing in different conditions than just India. ICC's strong role in any country wanting to not obey it's constitution remains to be seen, how ICC will handle India's disobedience to the rule and structure of ICC.

So the question on my mind and everyone's mind, what do you think BCCI will do from here? Do you see a middle ground? Do you think this will reside very soon and we will have a successful Champions Trophy or India is not going? The question and comments from cricinfo and media is BCCI may look for revenge as well.

Old April 27, 2017, 12:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Fizz makes 200k in IPL...60K in BPL. BCB can make up the difference easily.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 27, 2017, 12:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Fizz makes 200k in IPL...60K in BPL. BCB can make up the difference easily.
Well, if you add Dhaka Premier League where Mahmudullah got 71K and Mushfiqur got 60K, then that is easily 120K just from playing at home. I don't think money will make a difference, these players already earn a lot.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Austin jao baba ekhon tumra nijera nijera cricket khelo, IPL e team india ar baki sobai ekta multi-divisional cricket calendar baniye felo ebong ta diye samner bosor gula pushiye dao !! )
Old April 27, 2017, 02:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
Austin jao baba ekhon tumra nijera nijera cricket khelo, IPL e team india ar baki sobai ekta multi-divisional cricket calendar baniye felo ebong ta diye samner bosor gula pushiye dao !! )
Ha ha ha! I think Austin will need to beg someone to translate
Old April 27, 2017, 02:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Was it ever the Big Three or The Big One? Whatever the case, i am glad we are going past that model.

BCCI directly and indirectly got too much power, which is never good for the game.

I doubt they will go down without a fight. Lets see what happens.
Old April 27, 2017, 02:45 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sabbir,Brendan Taylor,TI

Good riddance, No one is bigger than the game

Last edited by DinRaat.; April 27, 2017 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Last post was a bit offensive
Old April 27, 2017, 03:01 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Good riddance, winning the world cup will be much easier when these babies aren`t around.
*sigh* posts like these just calls for attention for posters like Roy. who replies as all the Bangladeshis and forum members make posts like these
Old April 27, 2017, 03:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sabbir,Brendan Taylor,TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
*sigh* posts like these just calls for attention for posters like Roy. who replies as all the Bangladeshis and forum members make posts like these
Don`t worry, if he comes I`ll teach him a lesson...Bengali Style
Old April 27, 2017, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Well expect alot of bilateral series between BCCI and SLC in the future
Old April 27, 2017, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I can understand the jest and sentiment as BCCI has been trying hard with their two pets ECB and CricAustralia to demote us somehow.

As Chandler from friends said the Messers become the Messies

However in reality India still needs to be apart of any major tournament as they are a very good team. Also the rilvarly between Pakistan is the next best thing to Aus to Eng.
Old April 27, 2017, 03:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Why do Indians assume they create revenue by themselves, do they play India A and create the revenue?
Old April 27, 2017, 04:00 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Why do Indians assume they create revenue by themselves, do they play India A and create the revenue?
their sponsors, their viewers, their logics
Old April 27, 2017, 04:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
their sponsors, their viewers, their logics
Like they would have the same sponsors or even viewership with just their players, what do ranji trophy matches get

Old April 27, 2017, 06:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Of course Indians can claim that they generate the revenue. Yes, I can understand the point u r r trying to make but if we remain true to the fact we can't deny that ICC generates money by arranging international events like wc/wt20 only because India plays in that event.

2007 worldcup wasn't a big success and ICC didn't earn that much from that wc because India got kicked out of the tournament in the first round. Just imagine the hit ICC's earnings will take if India pull themselves out of all the ICC events. It's almost certain that all the other boards won't get anywhere near as much money as they r getting now from ICC.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
It's not as simple as it seems and Manohar obviously isn't a hero or savior of the cricket. He proposed the resolution for his own good and it's not that difficult to understand that he holds grudge against BCCI.

Anyway, BCCI is currently at its weakest position. Still I Don't think they will let it go that easily
Old April 27, 2017, 09:10 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Kohli

It will never come to that, any boards within the ICC has the right to pull out from any ICC trophy, even if we do pull out from the Champions trophy we will still be playing bilateral as usual.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Of course Indians can claim that they generate the revenue. Yes, I can understand the point u r r trying to make but if we remain true to the fact we can't deny that ICC generates money by arranging international events like wc/wt20 only because India plays in that event.

2007 worldcup wasn't a big success and ICC didn't earn that much from that wc because India got kicked out of the tournament in the first round. Just imagine the hit ICC's earnings will take if India pull themselves out of all the ICC events. It's almost certain that all the other boards won't get anywhere near as much money as they r getting now from ICC.
2007 wc was horrendously organised, of course India going out played a major part in poor income, but it was not the only problem, wc 2007 was a joke in organisation and it collapsed the wi board

India of course are the biggest players in cricket and they deserve bigger share than everyone else, and they are, they're getting more than double anyone else

It's like saying Mayweather Canelo/cotto/maidana etc... Was big point because of Mayweather, which isn't true as no one would tune in to watch him spar would they, but he still got the bigger paychecks

Same way India deserves bigger paycheck than others, but it's ridiculous to say they generate so much money by themselves, when it's the competition people turn into watch

Old April 27, 2017, 06:25 PM

Let's do the math.

1. BCB part

As per the reports, BCB should get 132m per 8-year cycle from the new system. In case India drops off, viewership among Indians and non-resident Indians will take a beating. Instead of going down by 70% as claimed, let's assume it goes down by 50%. Accordingly, BCB share also goes down to half, i.e. 66m for 8 years. Now that is a loss of 8m per year. Also, India won't tour Bangladesh anymore. BCB has a 6 year 20m deal for TV rights. That should also cause 1.5m per year loss. If you assume 9.5m per year revenue loss is nothing for BCB, then my question would be, what does BCB do with this 9.5m now?
Source - http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...y/1094878.html

There are a few ways to offset these issues - especially with expanding BPL and other domestic series. We have to see how that one goes.

Even if I assume that one of the most followed team with one of the richest board does well, that might not be true for SLC, WICB and ZC, while CSA will be in a tough spot. Same is true for newer boards & associate teams. Cricket is down to 6 teams effectively. On top of that, if they have to increase the pay to hold back their cricketer from joining IPL, it could be a bigger dent.

2. India/BCCI will also lose.

BCCI will lose 36m per year in revenue from ICC. BCCI sold their 6 years of TV rights @$750 million (see the difference) and that should come down to $150m a year. The team sponsorship & others should add up to $200m a year.

Only way they can get some back is to expand IPL. They might also play some bilateral series against Australia, England, South Africa and WI. For the sake of arguments, let's say the boycott is strong and none shows up. So, BCCI is down to zero.

Coming to IPL, In 2009 auction, BCCI raised $1.63 billion (6500 crore INR) for 9 years for TV. It's up for auction again in the next year and at the normal rate, it would go for $2 billion (projected to be $2.4 billion), i.e. 222 million per year. However, if the matches are shifted to weekends then the per match revenue would become 1.5 times. Two more teams would be back in IPL next year. 10 teams, dual-leg, weekends (F/S/S, 2 matches each day) will cover 4-5 months of cricket. I would see that to fetch $2 billion more. There won't be any foreign cricketer and some overseas viewership would take a beating. So, let me settle to a lower $3.5 billion for 9 years, i.e. 388 million a year.

That takes us to a net loss of 200-(388-222) = 44 million. No doubt, it's a big amount. This is what happens when a multilateral free trade stops. The money will go to other sports - probably hockey and football or something new I don't yet know.

Further possibilities -
1. some of the ICC current members and Associates might join BCCI to split the international cricket into two parallel boards. I would suspect WICB, CSA and ZC could take that route.
2. India could also see a vast decrease in the number of people following cricket.
3. Cricket in Olympics would be a distanct dream.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
Let's do the math.

1. BCB part

As per the reports, BCB should get 132m per 8-year cycle from the new system. In case India drops off, viewership among Indians and non-resident Indians will take a beating. Instead of going down by 70% as claimed, let's assume it goes down by 50%. Accordingly, BCB share also goes down to half, i.e. 66m for 8 years. Now that is a loss of 8m per year. Also, India won't tour Bangladesh anymore. BCB has a 6 year 20m deal for TV rights. That should also cause 1.5m per year loss. If you assume 9.5m per year revenue loss is nothing for BCB, then my question would be, what does BCB do with this 9.5m now?

There are a few ways to offset these issues - especially with expanding BPL and other domestic series. We have to see how that one goes.

Even if I assume that one of the most followed team with one of the richest board does well, that might not be true for SLC, WICB and ZC, while CSA will be in a tough spot. Same is true for newer boards & associate teams. Cricket is down to 6 teams effectively. On top of that, if they have to increase the pay to hold back their cricketer from joining IPL, it could be a bigger dent.

BCCI will lose 36m per year in revenue from ICC. BCCI sold their 6 years of TV rights @$750 million (see the difference) and that should come down to $150m a year. The team sponsorship & others should add up to $200m a year.

Only way they can get some back is to expand IPL. They might also play some bilateral series against Australia, England, South Africa and WI. For the sake of arguments, let's say the boycott is strong and none shows up. So, BCCI is down to zero.

Coming to IPL, In 2009 auction, BCCI raised $1.63 billion (6500 crore INR) for 9 years for TV. It's up for auction again in the next year and at the normal rate, it would go for $2 billion (projected to be $2.4 billion), i.e. 222 million per year. However, if the matches are shifted to weekends then the per match revenue would become 1.5 times. Two more teams would be back in IPL next year. 10 teams, dual-leg, weekends (F/S/S, 2 matches each day) will cover 4-5 months of cricket. I would see that to fetch $2 billion more. There won't be any foreign cricketer and some overseas viewership would take a beating. So, let me settle to a lower $3.5 billion for 9 years, i.e. 388 million a year.

That takes us to a net loss of 200-(388-222) = 44 million. No doubt, it's a big amount. This is what happens when a multilateral free trade stops. The money will go to other sports - probably hockey and football or something new I don't yet know.

Further possibilities -
1. some of the ICC current members and Associates might join BCCI to split the international cricket into two parallel boards. I would suspect WICB, CSA and ZC could take that route.
2. India could also see a vast decrease in the number of people following cricket.
Great post , loved how you broke it down.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sidhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
Let's do the math.

1. BCB part

Further possibilities -
On IPL, we have to understand why people watch it.

1. people from abroad watch it to see how their own players are playing against the better set of players in the world.
-with no international player, people from abroad will not even tune the TV.

2. people from abroad watch it to see which Indian player is coming up in the system to threat them in international games.
-with no games to play with India, no one from abroad is interested to see the upcoming talents in India.

3. Indians watch it to see some of the better foreign players playing in Indian teams.
- if some one is already better in cricket, he will have a strong tie with his country because of the responsibility and hope their country puts on them (except for WI board where players feel deceived by their board). you can pay 2 million but you will not get players like Starc, Sakib, Amla, Guptill, Morgan to ditch their country to play for IPL. so Indian will not find exciting figures from world cricket in IPL.

4. Indians want to see retired players like Herath, Sangakkara, Mills, Johnson to play in IPL.
- wrong. the old players were seen in the TV for so long that they have no novelty, knowing that they are not at their best anyway. except for players of 80s and 90s, who hold face value and emotional value, People never want to see a declining performer in the stage.

5. Indians wants to see their own emerging talents whom they have not seen playing.
- and what will be the result of seeing these players? can Indians become excited when the spot an upcoming talent, if there is no international cricket (including U-19 WC). No. A new Sachin means nothing even if he plays glorious straight drives whole day, but don't play a single game with another country.

6. Indians wants to see their current cricket icons in IPL.
- their will be some viewership from the core fans. but in a house where there is only one TV, why they would see a 3.5 hour domestic competition when they can just see the highlights or scorecards. what is the point of playing good if this can not be showcased in the world stage? when SA was in isolation, SA People loved cricket, they played cricket, but they did not allocate their time for viewing it in the TV. During that period in SA, the TV viewership of local competition was much lower than viewership of world cup. this is a proven fact.

BCCI getting separated from the rest of the world means in six months Indians will revolt against the board. The board will be scrapped to a new compromising one, after Indians burning the houses of the BCCI existing board members. they can also get a beating in the stadium by the common Indians - you can never be sure with the Indians.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriket
On IPL, we have to understand why people watch it.

1. people from abroad watch it to see how their own players are playing against the better set of players in the world.
-with no international player, people from abroad will not even tune the TV.

2. people from abroad watch it to see which Indian player is coming up in the system to threat them in international games.
-with no games to play with India, no one from abroad is interested to see the upcoming talents in India.

3. Indians watch it to see some of the better foreign players playing in Indian teams.
- if some one is already better in cricket, he will have a strong tie with his country because of the responsibility and hope their country puts on them (except for WI board where players feel deceived by their board). you can pay 2 million but you will not get players like Starc, Sakib, Amla, Guptill, Morgan to ditch their country to play for IPL. so Indian will not find exciting figures from world cricket in IPL.

4. Indians want to see retired players like Herath, Sangakkara, Mills, Johnson to play in IPL.
- wrong. the old players were seen in the TV for so long that they have no novelty, knowing that they are not at their best anyway. except for players of 80s and 90s, who hold face value and emotional value, People never want to see a declining performer in the stage.

5. Indians wants to see their own emerging talents whom they have not seen playing.
- and what will be the result of seeing these players? can Indians become excited when the spot an upcoming talent, if there is no international cricket (including U-19 WC). No. A new Sachin means nothing even if he plays glorious straight drives whole day, but don't play a single game with another country.

6. Indians wants to see their current cricket icons in IPL.
- their will be some viewership from the core fans. but in a house where there is only one TV, why they would see a 3.5 hour domestic competition when they can just see the highlights or scorecards. what is the point of playing good if this can not be showcased in the world stage? when SA was in isolation, SA People loved cricket, they played cricket, but they did not allocate their time for viewing it in the TV. During that period in SA, the TV viewership of local competition was much lower than viewership of world cup. this is a proven fact.

BCCI getting separated from the rest of the world means in six months Indians will revolt against the board. The board will be scrapped to a new compromising one, after Indians burning the houses of the BCCI existing board members. they can also get a beating in the stadium by the common Indians - you can never be sure with the Indians.
When IPL started, everyone laughed and thought it'd be a part time and people will watch no matter what. Today Cricinfo is reporting international cricket is being threatened by rise of T20 leagues. You can read and see, the game of t20 matched with masala twist and Bollywood is what Indian population wants. That's why high quality India Australia test series comes up with empty seats while ipl tickets are getting scarier.

BTW, there are some international cricketers missing from IPL always, England didn't send their players for a while. That didn't even create a dip in viewership. If you want me to name, Chris Gayle and ABD are the two guys who can pull some viewership other than Indians. In fact not all Indian players are playing in IPL. Ishant and Shami are benched, England captain Morgan, SA captain Du Plesis and SL captain Matthews are uncertain in the playing XI. Viewership is not affected. So, I don't see the reason you see. For example, even BPL did fairly well without many high paying foreigners. IPL brand is already established, people will watch it no matter what ... except probably for a dent that I accounted for.

This year ipl viewership is up by 40%, includes rural India contributing 59%.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Was it ever the Big Three or The Big One? Whatever the case, i am glad we are going past that model.

BCCI directly and indirectly got too much power, which is never good for the game.

I doubt they will go down without a fight. Lets see what happens.
Yes.

There was a time there was Asian block (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka) vs Eng/Aus block. Its was best interest for India and Pakistan to promote another Asian nation (Bangladesh). But at some point India start realizing that they are too big to ignore and kind of broke Asian block interest and created its own alliances with Aus and England. India is solely responsible breaking that Asian alliance. Now win or lose ...they are on their own.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Test Cricketer
Assistant BC Oracle

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

People pay to watch stars ans stars are made in international cricket. Good luck with your IPL without international cricket. BCCI is not dumb like you.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Further data points - Australian Home Series broadcaster Channel Nine and Big Bash broadcaster Ten Networks are in dire straits.

Quote:
The Nine Network is being urged by bankers to end its long-time cricket coverage due to estimated $30-40 million yearly losses, placing Cricket Australia under a financial cloud.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-2...t-deal/8471958

Quote:
Ten Network fell to a $232.2 million half-year loss after it was hit by a $214.5m writedown despite increasing its share of the advertising market.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...5a4758d7b568ea