facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4126  
Old April 3, 2012, 03:03 PM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Posts: 7,846

If the IPL wants a window within the international calendar then the other boards should demand that the foreign player cap is done away with or at the very least ensure that it is raised to six foreign players per XI.

Quote:
I disagree. 5 is way too many for BPL. For IPL sometimes 4 seems too many. India have too many players of international standards waiting for a chance.

They have so many players who are better than Tamims and Shakibs(batting) waiting to get a team.

Bangladesh played 5 foreigners because we don't have that many players who are international standards.
You are missing the point. Any team can play up to eleven Indians if they want. The restriction is only on foreigners. And who are these players better than Tamim/Shakib that are being deprived of a team? Last time I saw the IPL the standard of some of the Indian players was terrible and you had international superstars sitting on the bench.
Reply With Quote
  #4127  
Old April 3, 2012, 03:33 PM
senman's Avatar
senman senman is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2009
Location: Chennai
Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni
Posts: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
If the IPL wants a window within the international calendar then the other boards should demand that the foreign player cap is done away with or at the very least ensure that it is raised to six foreign players per XI.


You are missing the point. Any team can play up to eleven Indians if they want. The restriction is only on foreigners. And who are these players better than Tamim/Shakib that are being deprived of a team? Last time I saw the IPL the standard of some of the Indian players was terrible and you had international superstars sitting on the bench.
Actually you are missing the point let me tell you a scenario,
1.) Sponsor A from India did not able to buy a stake in IPL team but want to invest heavily in cricket team, sees an opportunity in BPL and buys a stake in a BPL team. If there is no foreign Cap do you honestly beleive any of the Bangladesh players will be selected? nope it will be filled with Indian players to cater for the Indian audience. Which is not the point of BPL .

Tamim and Sakhib is better than most youngsters playing in IPL, true. Al-though I support Sakhib, do you think would I be happy if a promising youngsters place is taken over by Sakhib, No. it will be the same with Bangladeshis which I have no problem with.
The youngsters will improve, that is why the cap is there.
Reply With Quote
  #4128  
Old April 3, 2012, 03:43 PM
Shubho Shubho is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 20, 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,892

Senman is right. IPL has every right to limit the number of foreigners that take the field for any of the franchises. It's the Indian Premier League for God's sake. They have chosen to promote Indian players by reserving a fixed number of slots for them. Makes perfect sense to me.

I wouldn't want 11 foreigners taking the field for a BPL team, so why would an IPL team have to do so?

You want a league that fields the best players from around the world, then start your own league.

Lack of local player quotas is an important reason why the English Premiership is a great league, but the England team is pathetic. Similar story with Italy.

I get that some people are upset that Tamim/Shakib might not get enough opportunities to play for their respective IPL teams because of the foreigner quota, but heck, they knew that from the start. Yet, they decided to sign for KKR/PWI anyway. That alone should tell you all that you need to know.
Reply With Quote
  #4129  
Old April 3, 2012, 04:00 PM
Equinox Equinox is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Posts: 7,846

The status-quo is fine as long as the IPL is not pursuing a window within the international calendar. If they are awarded a window it effectively means no international cricket will be scheduled during the IPL. Why should the other international teams and their players sit idly for the domestic tournament of another country? Hence, if you are going to interrupt the international schedule it's only fair that the selection of players is merit-based and players from the other teams get a fair deal. The BPL is different because it is a two-week tournament that does not disrupt the international schedule. Players only play if they are not in national duty.
Reply With Quote
  #4130  
Old April 3, 2012, 04:23 PM
TigerEz TigerEz is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 31, 2011
Location: HELL
Favorite Player: Indians
Posts: 2,190

I would be really surprised if shakib plays more than 2 matches! kkr has lots of international players this season so they probably wont take shakib.
Reply With Quote
  #4131  
Old April 3, 2012, 04:26 PM
Night_wolf's Avatar
Night_wolf Night_wolf is offline
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh
 
Join Date: October 30, 2010
Location: City of Traffic Jam
Favorite Player: Gilly
Posts: 12,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
The status-quo is fine as long as the IPL is not pursuing a window within the international calendar. If they are awarded a window it effectively means no international cricket will be scheduled during the IPL. Why should the other international teams and their players sit idly for the domestic tournament of another country? Hence, if you are going to interrupt the international schedule it's only fair that the selection of players is merit-based and players from the other teams get a fair deal. The BPL is different because it is a two-week tournament that does not disrupt the international schedule. Players only play if they are not in national duty.
i agree..if ipl gets a international window then its not a Indian league anymore

but it doesn't have a int window yet so its an Indian league and indian players gets the preference more then any other players...i hated when oversea players were getting more chances in the BPL so its only logical
__________________
Associates whom Bangladesh has lost to: 1.Kenya 2.Canada 3.Ireland 4.Netherlands 5. Scotland 6. Afganistan 7. Hongkong
Reply With Quote
  #4132  
Old April 3, 2012, 05:44 PM
22Yards's Avatar
22Yards 22Yards is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 29, 2010
Location: ∞
Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain
Posts: 1,131

I think no league (espeically if theres a reference to a nation such as Indian or Bangladesh deserve an international window. How did IPL manage that ? no wonder India got strong influence running ICC. It should be up to the organizers to find a schedule where the least amount of cricket being played around the world. This is the problem and not the 4 foreign players quota, which is rightfully in there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4133  
Old April 4, 2012, 02:41 AM
firstlane firstlane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 8, 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
Don't agree. Simply because India has too many players to ignore. Instead they should limit the number of foreign players getting registered. What works for IPL doesn't work for BPL vice versa.
Not true. If allowed franchises would definitely go for big name internationals over uncapped locals. How many newcomers and ex-nationals shine compare to internationals and current nationals? Not many, may be a quarter of all. No way India has enough local players for all 10 franchises of the same standard to match internationals. No country has. Franchises play 7 locals because they have to. And many of them earn hefty amount of money even after showing poorer form than internationals. IPL enjoys its current status because of international players. Even Indian viewers wouldn’t watch the matches if only local players played. How many Indians go to the stadium when India’s best 36 players play among themselves (I think its called Challenger trophy)?

And all these talk about IPL preparing the youngsters for international cricket is not quite right either. It does help but you can’t say IPL is the only reason Indian cricket rose recently. Their cricket was on the rise since Gaunguly’s time. Franchises pick those young locals because they have done well in domestics. IPL is just a money machine anyway. And you are right- India is not Bangladesh. They don’t need to depend on just IPL to groom their youngsters. India get to play lot more international cricket and their domestic cricket is the strongest in subcontinent. So from an Indian’s point of view its great- young Indians earning truckload of money but as an International viewer I like to watch big performers in action.
Reply With Quote
  #4134  
Old April 4, 2012, 04:04 AM
playmaker playmaker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 21, 2012
Location: Chittagong
Favorite Player: every quality cricketer
Posts: 2,687

i think the real issue is WC players being benched. The IPL is not meant just for Indian players. If you take out the Intl players then it will only be a meaningless battle. The purpose of IPL is entertainment, glamour, letting locals share words with intl players and so on.

If a youngster of India does well against India, think about the confidence! Or a local who hardly gave runs to guyz like Gayle and sehwag.

It mixes intl tender in domestic league. Otherwise it would be nothing but another Faysal Bank T20
Reply With Quote
  #4135  
Old April 4, 2012, 08:12 AM
senman's Avatar
senman senman is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 6, 2009
Location: Chennai
Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni
Posts: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
Not true. If allowed franchises would definitely go for big name internationals over uncapped locals. How many newcomers and ex-nationals shine compare to internationals and current nationals? Not many, may be a quarter of all. No way India has enough local players for all 10 franchises of the same standard to match internationals. No country has. Franchises play 7 locals because they have to. And many of them earn hefty amount of money even after showing poorer form than internationals. IPL enjoys its current status because of international players. Even Indian viewers wouldn’t watch the matches if only local players played. How many Indians go to the stadium when India’s best 36 players play among themselves (I think its called Challenger trophy)?

And all these talk about IPL preparing the youngsters for international cricket is not quite right either. It does help but you can’t say IPL is the only reason Indian cricket rose recently. Their cricket was on the rise since Gaunguly’s time. Franchises pick those young locals because they have done well in domestics. IPL is just a money machine anyway. And you are right- India is not Bangladesh. They don’t need to depend on just IPL to groom their youngsters. India get to play lot more international cricket and their domestic cricket is the strongest in subcontinent. So from an Indian’s point of view its great- young Indians earning truckload of money but as an International viewer I like to watch big performers in action.
You have misunderstood the point I was making, When I said India has too many players to ignore, it means there are simply too many players will be left out if there is no foreign cap. It means franchise as you mentioned will prefer Internationals than local players. That is the point I was making. Indians watch IPL because Indian players playing with Internationals not the other way around. If you arrange a match between Australia vs England (international match) in India would that gather the crowds the IPL is pulling? no I don't think so. Did you watched How many world cup games played in empty stadiums.

Secondly its true IPL is not needed to groom youngsters but a platform for youngsters to show their mettle up against the best in business. Stuffing too many international will deny a chance for the local boy which no country would like.

I can understand your feeling as International viewer to watch lot of International players in action but the league is a compromise for local and International viewer. You can't satisfy both of them 100%.

BPL also should follow the same path. IPL may seem money machine for the viewers outside but its an option for Indian boys as lot of my younger countrymen are choosing Cricket as career, a new trend (usually only rich choose them as career because of financial input needed over a period of time).

IPL is not given International window, will never be, so the current model is good for IPL.
Reply With Quote
  #4136  
Old April 4, 2012, 08:54 AM
playmaker playmaker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 21, 2012
Location: Chittagong
Favorite Player: every quality cricketer
Posts: 2,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
You have misunderstood the point I was making, When I said India has too many players to ignore, it means there are simply too many players will be left out if there is no foreign cap. It means franchise as you mentioned will prefer Internationals than local players. That is the point I was making. Indians watch IPL because Indian players playing with Internationals not the other way around. If you arrange a match between Australia vs England (international match) in India would that gather the crowds the IPL is pulling? no I don't think so. Did you watched How many world cup games played in empty stadiums.

Secondly its true IPL is not needed to groom youngsters but a platform for youngsters to show their mettle up against the best in business. Stuffing too many international will deny a chance for the local boy which no country would like.

I can understand your feeling as International viewer to watch lot of International players in action but the league is a compromise for local and International viewer. You can't satisfy both of them 100%.

BPL also should follow the same path. IPL may seem money machine for the viewers outside but its an option for Indian boys as lot of my younger countrymen are choosing Cricket as career, a new trend (usually only rich choose them as career because of financial input needed over a period of time).

IPL is not given International window, will never be, so the current model is good for IPL.
The IPL is good the way it is for locals. If there was 11 Indians I dont think the tournament wont be of much hype. At the end of the day will be just a tournament watched, sponsored and played by Indians. Which lowers the quality, lowers the money, lowers the interest of fans and player. So you need foreign players to give IPL an extra meaning, something to show that it is much different from other leagues.

Why is IPL necessary for indian cricket

1) If you are a local, youve really got to struggle to get a contract. For that you need to perform well to get the contract. So that PUSH makes your player more desperate, more determined. Remember, it will be the same sort of hunger that can get them the mentality of intl players...youve got to be better than others

2) Huge pressure: You maybe a local who hardly gets much of an exposure. Now your team needs you to perform badly. 60 needed of 40 balls, few wickets to spare and you are the last recognized batsman. You are under huge pressure, billions watching you, your team members are praying that you do well, and if you can handle the pressure and pull it off, you are the HERO. If it was any other competition there wudnt be such pressure and stuffs. This kind of situations show your temperament and tries to bring the best out of you

3) Spending time with Intl players: Iqbal abdullah, for example, can spend a lot of time with shakib, during practice, or hotel room. Shakib being experienced man and well talented can teach abdullah a lot of things which most coaches can teach you. He can tell you what ball should be bowled when, how to ball a different delivery. The same applies to other players in the tournament, you are sharing rooms with top players whom youve only seen on TV. its a big occassion to learn and become better

4) Imagine someone hitting a and a of malinga in a single over. That will give him real pleasure and confidence. Or someone getting gayle out. Imagine his confidence level. This certain memories will always help a player....plus, the presence of top quality players will make the competition more competitive and the locals will try to showcase their talent against top players

So basically, the foreign players is the real spice in the IPL. its there to make it better and thats why IPL is such a big platform for cricketers who do get chance. and with intl players comes intl viewership and intl sponsors..

(BTW, im jealous that BPL isnt anywhere near IPL but hopefully, BCB will improve the BPL)
Reply With Quote
  #4137  
Old April 4, 2012, 09:09 AM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,751

Can we move this discussion to a IPL page ...
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #4138  
Old April 4, 2012, 09:15 AM
zinatf's Avatar
zinatf zinatf is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 1, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee
Posts: 4,675

please......uff we are going off-topic....
__________________
jitsi jitsi jitsi
Reply With Quote
  #4139  
Old April 4, 2012, 11:47 AM
playmaker playmaker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 21, 2012
Location: Chittagong
Favorite Player: every quality cricketer
Posts: 2,687

lets get back to shakib

im very sure that he will get plenty of matches..afterall, he is the best player in the team
Reply With Quote
  #4140  
Old April 4, 2012, 11:52 AM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,468

^Had he played all the matches, he would've been 1 of the highest, if not the highest wicket taker in the IPL last year. Unfortunately, Morgan got in to the team ahead of him and gave Shakib no chance to reach that feat.
Reply With Quote
  #4141  
Old April 4, 2012, 11:56 AM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,915

Who is Morgan?
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #4142  
Old April 4, 2012, 11:57 AM
Tiger444's Avatar
Tiger444 Tiger444 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 17, 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Favorite Player: All the BD players
Posts: 8,468

^Eoin Morgan, batsman for England
Reply With Quote
  #4143  
Old April 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
lamisa's Avatar
lamisa lamisa is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 18, 2007
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy
Posts: 6,743

are we back on shakib yet?
__________________
haruk ba jituk,i am always there with BDcricket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4144  
Old April 4, 2012, 01:21 PM
crikss's Avatar
crikss crikss is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 15, 2007
Posts: 2,472

Hope Shak plays tomorrow's match
Reply With Quote
  #4145  
Old April 4, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ajfar's Avatar
Ajfar Ajfar is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Nirala
Posts: 17,347

I get the feeling KKR will make shakib seat tomorrow and play Narine instead. I really hope I'm wrong.

Kallis and McCullum are a must for this KKR batting line up. so that leaves 2 space up for grab, 1 will be between Narine/Shakib and the other will probably go to Lee.
__________________
"I was the happiest man in the world, happier than Bill Gates"- Tamim Iqbal
Reply With Quote
  #4146  
Old April 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
Kinslayer's Avatar
Kinslayer Kinslayer is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 26, 2009
Location: dhaka
Favorite Player: Ash Mash Aftab
Posts: 352

Check out cricinfo preview for KKR vs DD .
Players to watch : Sunil Narine
No mention of Shak, really hope that the team selction isnt similar to this preview.
__________________
You are being mind-controlled
Reply With Quote
  #4147  
Old April 4, 2012, 02:10 PM
roman's Avatar
roman roman is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 18, 2004
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash
Posts: 10,976

No Shak = No support for KKR.
__________________
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open.....Thomas Dewey
Reply With Quote
  #4148  
Old April 4, 2012, 02:13 PM
MohammedC MohammedC is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: April 15, 2007
Location: Manchester,UK
Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Posts: 22,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
No Shak = No support for KKR.
Apnar shathe ek moth
__________________
I love Bangladesh cricket and that's why I found BanglaCricket.com
Reply With Quote
  #4149  
Old April 4, 2012, 02:17 PM
godzilla's Avatar
godzilla godzilla is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 4, 2009
Posts: 2,453

No shakib no support. That's how it works KKR :P
Reply With Quote
  #4150  
Old April 4, 2012, 03:31 PM
simon's Avatar
simon simon is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 20, 2008
Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash
Posts: 19,958

lol, who is Narine?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket