facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

'I do get emotional'

Shakib Al Hasan on crying during games, and a compliment from Shoaib Malik

Interview by Nagraj Gollapudi

April 15, 2012

First time I met a cricketing idol
My first cricketing idol was Saeed Anwar, but I have never met him. Apart from Anwar I have always admired Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar, and I was lucky to meet both of them during the 2007 World Cup. I did not speak to them, but made sure I took pictures with them.

First time I cried after a match

The quarter-final of the Under-19 World Cup, when we lost to England. Before the tournament we had played against England in a few one-dayers and beat them easily. So we thought we could beat them again during the World Cup. Unfortunately it did not happen that way. Do tears come easily to me? Sometimes, yes. I do get emotional when I am happy for playing a good innings that helped the team win, or at times when things are not happening the way they should.

First compliment I got from an international cricketer
I scored an ODI hundred against Pakistan in Multan. We were 10 for 3 when I came in, but I managed to stay for long enough to help Bangladesh make a modest target. Sometime later the Asia Cup was being played in Pakistan and Shoaib Malik, who was the Pakistan captain at the time, asked my team-mates why I was not in the squad. When he was told I was forced to sit out because I had to take some examinations, he said that he would have given me a pass certificate to make sure I was the first guy in his team. That was a nice thing he said.

First wicket in serious cricket
I got my first wicket off the first ball I ever bowled in competitive cricket with a leather ball. It was in my hometown, Magura, where I was playing for Islampur Para Cricket Club. It was also the first time, and perhaps the only occasion, when I allowed my parents to come and watch the match. I do not even remember what type of delivery it was, but I do know it flattened the middle stump. I was overjoyed. I finished with three wickets in that match.

First time a coach gave me stick

It was my first tour with a Bangladesh team, where I was part of the Under-15 team. We came to Kolkata to play against a Cricket Association of Bengal team. One day at the ground, our coach, Nazmul Abedin Fahim, was giving us some instructions seriously because we had not batted well. Something about that speech made me laugh. He was furious and let me have it. From that day I make sure I do not smile when a coach is talking seriously.

Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...medium=twitter
Old April 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Subtitle makes him sound like a godly girl, as if he cried a lot.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Sakib is going to Phail big time today .
Old April 15, 2012, 06:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Awesome

IceMan ftw!

6 wickets already! Chaliye jan sir...
Old April 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Shakib got a wicket! Shakib got a wicket xD
Old April 15, 2012, 07:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Narayan dekhi hebby khelchey.
It's good cause it will make it more competitive for Sakib
Old April 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

no problem. he will make it up with the bat
Old April 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
Club Cricketer

Trevor Bayliss:

You are possibly spoilt for choice with regard to the number of allrounders and top overseas players in the side. How do you manage a team of stars?
It has certainly got its challenges, but all international players know only four can play. We said at the outset that we will pick teams obviously on form but also on the conditions we are going to play on and the oppositions we come up against. Everyone is clear about how we select teams. And every international and India player understands he might have to miss a game or two.

Isn't that an interesting dynamic - that in the IPL, when you have big players sitting out, it creates pressure of its own, even creates doubt perhaps?

I don't think so. They are all big, mature boys. They are professionals, wanting to play every game, but they are also smart enough to understand they will be left out. And that holds true at all levels of cricket. The players who are able to get over the disappointment of not playing are the ones that do come out when they are selected again and perform. If you are constantly worrying about not being in the team, you create pressure for yourself.

For example, I have had chats with internationals like Eoin Morgan and Brendon McCullum so far, for not playing Morgs so far and dropping Baz for the third match. It is about the combination. Against Royal Challengers Bangalore we wanted to strengthen our middle order and get Shakib [Al Hasan], who could also bowl orthodox spin during the middle overs. I explained that to McCullum and he was happy about letting him know the plan.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-p...ry/561155.html
Old April 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
First Class Cricketer

Poor Poor Shot Shakib..Very Very Disappointing!!!
Old April 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cricket Legend

I just hate you Shakib !!! stupid stupid shot !!!! no need to go for it... How hard it is to rotate the strike for u...

Last edited by oronnya; April 15, 2012 at 09:12 AM..
Old April 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

whats wrong with all those wild slogs
Old April 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Club Cricketer

it was chawla's last over; just needed to play him out....
Old April 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Shakib has had 'Ash fart' there !
Old April 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Athar Ali Khan

I guess he can't take wickets and runs in every game. This will bring him and us, the fans, back to Earth!
Old April 15, 2012, 08:52 AM
Cricket Sage

good that I missed his batting.
He seem to just forget how to bat whenever playing for an overseas team. don't understand it why,he bats all most every match for BD under pressure.
anyway,if there is any1 to drop it should be Kallis,or even Tendo who didn't look that impressive.(just out for 11)
Old April 15, 2012, 09:04 AM
Cricket Guru

bad day happens but nowadays bad day can impact a lot especially a tournament like IPL
Old April 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shk/Mus/Momi/Nas/Mas/Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
good that I missed his batting.
He seem to just forget how to bat whenever playing for an overseas team. don't understand it why,he bats all most every match for BD under pressure.
anyway,if there is any1 to drop it should be Kallis,or even Tendo who didn't look that impressive.(just out for 11)
He started very calmly with few singles, looked comfortable then all of a sudden he went for wild slog when even that was not required at that stage cause with singles or doubles easily could have won the game.Had he stayed safe Chawlas over he probably could be the hero for today
Old April 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
He started very calmly with few singles, looked comfortable then all of a sudden he went for wild slog when even that was not required at that stage cause with singles or doubles easily could have won the game.Had he stayed safe Chawlas over he probably could be the hero for today
exactly .. all he had to do is stay till the end .. There was no need to play those risky shots when a lot of batting was still to come.. It's not like he is playing for BD where he have to do it all by himself.. Actually he is better in those situations as he plays more responsibly.. It's not that I am dissapointed only for this match.. He did it last year in IPL and in FL T20 in Eng and he is doing the same this year.. We know he is a quick learner and rectifies his mistakes but I really don't know what happens to him when it comes to T20 batting.. He didn't do it in the BPL then why trying those slogging.. Actually all he tries to do is replicate his innings in BPL semi.. But when will he realize that the pitch and bowling are not the same everywhere..
Old April 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

That was an awful shot from Shakib. He just gave KKR more reasons to not let him bat up the order
Cricket Legend

Didn't watch the match, but WTF Shakib. Looks like he had a horrendous day by his standards.
Cricket Legend

hmm bad day in office.....

hopefully he doesnt get dropped again and given KKR's overall batting fiasco I wonder if the management will try to bring back mccullum
Old April 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
exactly .. all he had to do is stay till the end .. There was no need to play those risky shots when a lot of batting was still to come...
You do realize that Required rate was about 8 on a turning track right? Idea was right, but just didn't execute it. Cross batted shots on a turning track is a horrible idea.

And KKR didn't lose because they ran out of batsman, Punjab still managed to defend the total. So yeah, can't blame Shak for attempting to slog.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
hmm bad day in office.....

hopefully he doesnt get dropped again and given KKR's overall batting fiasco I wonder if the management will try to bring back mccullum
A very bad day indeed.... But I don't think even the idea of dropping him will come to anyone's mind.... Even YP hit a 0
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old April 15, 2012, 11:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

He will be back
Old April 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Cricket Legend

'I do get emotional'
Shakib Al Hasan on crying during games, and a compliment from Shoaib Malik

First time I met a cricketing idol
My first cricketing idol was Saeed Anwar, but I have never met him. Apart from Anwar I have always admired Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar, and I was lucky to meet both of them during the 2007 World Cup. I did not speak to them, but made sure I took pictures with them.

First time I cried after a match
The quarter-final of the Under-19 World Cup, when we lost to England. Before the tournament we had played against England in a few one-dayers and beat them easily. So we thought we could beat them again during the World Cup. Unfortunately it did not happen that way. Do tears come easily to me? Sometimes, yes. I do get emotional when I am happy for playing a good innings that helped the team win, or at times when things are not happening the way they should.

First compliment I got from an international cricketer
I scored an ODI hundred against Pakistan in Multan. We were 10 for 3 when I came in, but I managed to stay for long enough to help Bangladesh make a modest target. Sometime later the Asia Cup was being played in Pakistan and Shoaib Malik, who was the Pakistan captain at the time, asked my team-mates why I was not in the squad. When he was told I was forced to sit out because I had to take some examinations, he said that he would have given me a pass certificate to make sure I was the first guy in his team. That was a nice thing he said.

First wicket in serious cricket
I got my first wicket off the first ball I ever bowled in competitive cricket with a leather ball. It was in my hometown, Magura, where I was playing for Islampur Para Cricket Club. It was also the first time, and perhaps the only occasion, when I allowed my parents to come and watch the match. I do not even remember what type of delivery it was, but I do know it flattened the middle stump. I was overjoyed. I finished with three wickets in that match.

First time a coach gave me stick
It was my first tour with a Bangladesh team, where I was part of the Under-15 team. We came to Kolkata to play against a Cricket Association of Bengal team. One day at the ground, our coach, Nazmul Abedin Fahim, was giving us some instructions seriously because we had not batted well. Something about that speech made me laugh. He was furious and let me have it. From that day I make sure I do not smile when a coach is talking seriously.