facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

if Balaji isnt playing the final (hamstring injury or whatever it is), then Shakib's chance of playing gets even slimmer. In that case Lee will come back and both Shukla and Tiwary can be in the team.

anyways... thats more than enough IPL for Shakib... time to shift the focus on the next thing in his list... be it comeplete rest, county or euro trip...
Old May 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
I feel people do too much stats watching and not watching the game closely enough. Just because Shakib's econ rate was higher then DD's RR, doesn't mean he did poorly with the ball. His 1st over he got Warner which was a key wicket. 2nd over he was expensive but again this was a PP over and getting hit in T20's happens obviously. 3rd over he bowled really well allowing only 5 runs and building the pressure up on DD. And the 4th over he allowed 8 runs when they needed 11 an over. So he didn't do bad at all. I wouldn't say it's a great performance but it wasn't poor either. He contributed to the win. So stats never tell the whole story of the game.
I totally agree with you. I thought Shakib bowled quite well today except in his second over. In the first over, there were more than 1 misfielding incidents (I don't know why the fielding is worst when shakib is bowling...). I think he might have been a bit nervous in the second over. But, then he came back really well at the end. Even a yorker in the blockhole got hit for a four because they were trying to hit everything. We should give the batsman the credit instead of assuming the ball wasn't good.

But, I feel he was disappointed with his performance as a batsman. I hope shakib, as well as we all, remember that every single player has good days and bad days.

look at kallis, the best allrounder according to many. he has had many more bad days recently (though not today) than our shakib.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
eto kichu bujhina,next match e Amma chai
Sakib er jonno eta ba hater khela
dui bangla r kotha bhaiba kichu kor

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
ashbe amma ashbe....opekkha koren
Old May 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
if Balaji isnt playing the final (hamstring injury or whatever it is), then Shakib's chance of playing gets even slimmer. In that case Lee will come back and both Shukla and Tiwary can be in the team.

anyways... thats more than enough IPL for Shakib... time to shift the focus on the next thing in his list... be it comeplete rest, county or euro trip...
Good thing is that KKR has got 3 days rest which is enough to recover from hamstring injury. Even if Balaji does not get recovered, i dont think Gauti will take risk of dropping 1 spinning all rounder for Lee when spinners are winning matches for him. If his injury gets worse then Unadkand may be brought in.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:41 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: None

one run and one wicket !!what a miserable innings for Shakib.Will he be selected for the final?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Good thing is that KKR has got 3 days rest which is enough to recover from hamstring injury. Even if Balaji does not get recovered, i dont think Gauti will take risk of dropping 1 spinning all rounder for Lee when spinners are winning matches for him. If his injury gets worse then Unadkand may be brought in.
Unadkand haven't played all season, I doubt they will bring him in now. I think the most logical thing to do is to drop McCullum. Bisla can easily replace him and probably do a better job with the bat. McCullum's been reaching 30s but he is eating up too many balls.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Unadkand haven't played all season, I doubt they will bring him in now. I think the most logical thing to do is to drop McCullum. Bisla can easily replace him and probably do a better job with the bat. McCullum's been reaching 30s but he is eating up too many balls.
Kolom and Kolshi have just been test match playing tbh. As for Unadkat, he has played only one/two games this season and was not impressive. As for Pacers, Lee/Lange is the only option for KKR. Bisla has been better than McCullum. Don't know why GG is not bringing him in. Maybe being supersititious too much?!

Last edited by zinatf; May 23, 2012 at 02:56 AM..
Old May 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Didn't see Shak interacting much with Kallis ever since they are playing for KKR, so it is nice to see two of the best all-rounders of the modern game celebrate with each other.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Old May 23, 2012, 03:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Luka Modric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi

Didn't see Shak interacting much with Kallis ever since they are playing for KKR, so it is nice to see two of the best all-rounders of the modern game celebrate with each other.
Arent they rivals in the inside. They are both trying to achieve the 'best allrounder' status.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:24 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib-al-hasan

official barcelona barcastuff tweeted shakib's quotes:

Shakib Al Hasan
(Bangladeshi
cricketer): "I
have never been
to Camp Nou
yet. Maybe next year. I'd like to
watch Barça
play
Madrid." [espn]

Shakib Al Hasan
(Bangladeshi
cricketer):
"Hobby? I like
football more
than cricket, seriously. I am
football-crazy.
Barcelona,
always."

https://mobile.twitter.com/barcastuff#barcastuff

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old May 23, 2012, 04:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I think we ought to get a hold of ourselves here when making comparisons to Kallis. Of course we back one of ours when he's also one of the best in the world. Perhaps even more so because Shakib never had the benefit of those cricket infrastructures. But facts are facts:

1) Shakib is VERY unlikely to be even remotely as good as Kallis with the bat. Kallis is winding down with an average of almost 57 in tests with 42 hundreds, 45 in ODIs with 17 hundreds, and almost 35 in T20Is with 5 fifties. Shakib on the other hand is still at the early stages of his career with an average of almost 35 in tests with 2 hundreds, almost 36 in ODIs with 5 hundreds, and 13 in T20Is with no fifties. At this rate, I'd be over the moon if Shakib finishes 40 (ave)/12 (huns) in tests, 40/20 in ODIs, and 20/10(fifties) in T20Is. Wishful thinking but even if that were to come true, he still won't be as good as Kallis with the bat.

2) I feel Shakib can finish with better numbers as a key strike bowler. I see him finishing his career with more test, ODI and T20I wickets and not just because we play Zimbabwe a lot. I think he's capable of finishing with 300 test, 400 ODI and 100 T20I wickets.

3) Shakib is definitely more of a key impact player fort Bangladesh than Kallis is for South Africa. Being such a dominant MVP for your team impacts how you're perceived by everyone else.

So, my conclusion is that history would remember Shakib as a great player and pioneer for Bangladesh on the world stage, the way De Silva is for Sri Lanka, but Kallis would be put right next to Bradman, Sobers, Richards, Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting because of his batting alone. I'd love to see guys like Mahela, Clarke and eventually Amla and Kohli up there also but I don't think they can go past the level just below those gods.

Anyway, one of the best things about the IPL is the fact that Shakib gets to play and hang-out with an immortal like Kallis as a fellow key player for their team.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; May 23, 2012 at 05:53 AM..
Old May 23, 2012, 05:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I think we ought to get a hold of ourselves here when making comparisons to Kallis. Of course we back one of ours when he's also one of the best in the world. Perhaps even more so because Shakib never had the benefit of those cricket infrastructures. But facts are facts:

1) Shakib is VERY unlikely to be even remotely as good as Kallis with the bat. Kallis is winding down with an average of almost 57 in tests with 42 hundreds, 45 in ODIs with 17 hundreds, and almost 35 in T20Is with 5 fifties. Shakib on the other hand is still at the early stages of his career with an average of almost 35 in tests with 2 hundreds, almost 36 in ODIs with 5 hundreds, and 13 in T20Is with no fifties. At this rate, I'd be over the moon if Shakib finishes 40 (ave)/12 (huns) in tests, 40/20 in ODIs, and 20/10(fifties) in T20Is. Wishful thinking but even if that were to come true, he still won't be as good as Kallis with the bat.

2) I feel Shakib can finish with better numbers as a key strike bowler. I see him finishing his career with more test, ODI and T20I wickets and not just because we play Zimbabwe a lot. I think he's capable of finishing with 300 test, 400 ODI and 100 T20I wickets.

3) Shakib is definitely more of a key impact player fort Bangladesh than Kallis is for South Africa. Being such a dominant MVP for your team impacts how you're perceived by everyone else.

So, my conclusion is that history would remember Shakib as a great player and pioneer for Bangladesh on the world stage, the way De Silva is for Sri Lanka, but Kallis would be put right next to Bradman, Sobers, Richards, Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting because of his batting alone. I'd love to see guys like Mahela, Clarke and eventually Amla and Kohli up there also but I don't think they can go past the level just below those gods.

Anyway, one of the best things about the IPL is the fact that Shakib gets to play and hang-out with a immortal like Kallis as a key player for their team.
post of the day
Very nicely summarized Sohel Bhai.....I can only dream of Shakib getting as close to Kallis in the years to come....
Old May 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks Zinat. My hopes are the same as yours. His best is yet to come. He'll do amazing things from 27 to 40 InshAllah
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2012, 05:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Insha Allah! He has already been in the road to be the pioneer for Bangladesh Cricket..by the time he finishes, I would very much like to see him as being the legend for this sport in Bangladesh
Old May 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Insha Allah! He has already been in the road to be the pioneer for Bangladesh Cricket..by the time he finishes, I would very much like to see him as being the legend for this sport in Bangladesh
Isn't he already?
Old May 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Yes, he's one of the pioneers, but come on, legend? Nah....I am a huge fan of Shakib, but I would still see more to it..because he has more to give to BD cricket to go that hiatus where a legend does..
Old May 23, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Of course he is already OUR (not global) legend, but he'll take us to even greater heights over the years InshAllah. Because of him, Bangladesh cricket has left those awful Athar-Akram-Nannu years behind when we used to get our @$$es whipped by Kenya. Also gone are the days of hapless mediocrity and "honorable defeats" from the HaBa era because every generation is producing better players increasingly less afraid to sack up and take the fight to the opposition's doorstep. Shakib and Shakib alone has shown everyone the way, and others have begun to join him.

Politically, I compare him to great ferociously combatant Freedom Fighters from our history such as Taher, Haider, Manzur, Ziauddin, Bodi, Alam, Tapan Kanti Sarkar, MN Larma, Quader Siddiqui and others who could, did and made everyone believe that they can too.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: None

Quote:
Yes, he's one of the pioneers, but come on, legend? Nah....I am a huge fan of Shakib, but I would still see more to it..because he has more to give to BD cricket to go that hiatus where a legend does..
Shakib is only 25 years old.He has a long way to go in cricket.Maybe at the age of 35 if he is still playing then we may call him a legend.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Of course he is already OUR (not global) legend, but he'll take us to even greater heights over the years InshAllah. Because of him, Bangladesh cricket has left those awful Athar-Akram-Nannu years behind when we used to get our @$$es whipped by Kenya. Also gone are the days of hapless mediocrity and "honorable defeats" from the HaBa era because every generation is producing better players increasingly less afraid to sack up and take the fight to the opposition's doorstep. Shakib and Shakib alone has shown everyone the way, and others have begun to join him.

Politically, I compare him to great ferociously combatant Freedom Fighters from our history such as Taher, Haider, Manzur, Ziauddin, Bodi, Alam, Tapan Kanti Sarkar, MN Larma, Quader Siddiqui and others who could, did and made everyone believe that they can too.
Ore Allah! Sohel bhai apni to arek duniyate chole gelen
Yes, that's what I meant to say...he is OUR legend, but not a global cricketing legend yet.....
Old May 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Men behind KKR’s successful journey this year…

Biswajit Jha

After four years’ of despair, disillusionment and despondency, IPL franchise Kolkata Knight Riders are finally just one match away from clinching the IPL title. Unlike the previous years, KKR have mostly been in the news for cricketing reasons. They were led from the front by Gautam Gambhir and ably supported by Brendon McCullum, Jacques Kallis, Manoj Tiwary, L Balaji and Shakib Al Hasan. But the real impetus has come from a little known Indian origin West Indian Sunil Narine. The mystery spinner has wreaked havoc on all the opposition batsmen. He, along with Gautam Gambhir, virtually helped KKR reach the final.

Zeenews.com’s sports team takes a look at the most important players, who guided KKR to their maiden IPL final:

Sunil Narine:

It’s seems Kolkata Knight Riders management has a penchant for the ‘mystery’ spinners. First, it was Sri Lankan Ajatha Mendis, who played for them in the second and third editions. And now, West Indian Sunil Narine. But unlike Mendis, Narine set the IPL 5 on fire and led Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan owned team to the final almost single handedly. He bamboozled the best of the batsmen with the new ball. Even the great Tendulkar failed to ‘read’ his ball and got bowled. He was equally threatening with the old ball. He was hardly taken to the cleaners in any of the matches. He contributed in every victory KKR registered in this season of IPL.

The Trinidadian Narine, who held the `Purple Cap` briefly, has taken 24 wickets in 14 matches, and those wickets came at an enviable average of 11.95 and by far has been the best spinner, if not the best bowler of IPL 5. Not just his number of wickets, but the number of runs he conceded is also amazing. He has just given away 5.20 runs per over in a format where an economy of 7 per over is considered to be reasonable.

Before the IPL, the spinner had the Australian batsmen in trouble in the ODI series that he played just before the IPL. Some of the Australian batsmen openly admitted their inability to ‘pick’ him properly. Seeing him bamboozle the batsmen, most of the West Indians back home are, ruing his absence from their squad that is touring England currently.

But what makes him a special commodity? KKR coach Travor Bayliss puts it like this: "He is one of the mystery spinners. That, combined with accuracy and a bit of extra pace, has made him more than a handful. Even if you`re lucky to pick the ball he has bowled, there`s no guarantee that you`ll actually get him away for runs. More the batsmen play him, more the chances of picking him, but Narine has it in him to stay one step ahead. He`s such an unbelievable talent."

Gautam Gambhir:

Interestingly, Kolkata needed a Delhi guy to take them to the final! Clichéd as it may sound, but the fact is Gambhir led KKR from the front since the beginning of IPL season 5. He batted consistently, led his troops on the field like a good general. It seems that he took his stripping of Indian vice-captaincy seriously and wanted to prove the selectors wrong. Most of his on-field decisions were immaculate; he has always remained one step ahead of the match, a must in T20 cricket where everything happens so quickly.

Another most important challenge Gambhir faced was when he took over the captaincy from Kolkata’s very own Sourav Ganguly. He needed to win the hearts of the passionate Bengalis. And he did it in style. The 5th May-match against Sourav Ganguly’s Pune Warriors virtually established Gambhir as the leader of KKR. In that match, Gambhir made a quick fire 56 on a turning Eden track and gave the team a much needed win.

In the 16 matches so far in IPL 5, Gambhir has made 588 runs, highest among the KKR batsmen, with an average of 39.20 with 6 fifties. His consistency was such that in the last 10 matches, he just failed in just two games.

He has brought certain calmness to this high-profile team which never reached the semi-final stage in the earlier four editions. The way he backed under-performers in the team speaks a lot about Gambhir the leader. His faith on under-fire Yusuf Pathan finally paid off in the last match against Delhi as he played that decisive innings in the end.

Tactically, he outsmarted most of his counterparts by relaying on spinners. In most of the matches, KKR fielded three tweakers which proved to be a very handy strategy on slow and low Indian tracks.

Jacques Kallis:

Like always, Jacques Kallis has been the pillar of strength for Kolkata Knight Riders in this season as well. He gave KKR batting line-up a sense of solidity at the top. His calm presence in a maddening format has helped KKR put up good score in most of the matches. But, his main contribution has come with the ball. Gambhir has had the luxury of going with three spinners with Kallis in the team. And he responded really well. His bowling at the death speaks volumes about this soft-spoken bloke’s cricketing ability. Apart from scoring 340 runs so far, Kallis has taken 14 wickets in this season.

Shakib Al Hasan:

The one thing for which Gambhir has been criticized throughout the entire season was his decision to leave out Bangladeshi all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan from the playing XI. Out of 16 matches Shakib has played just 7. But whenever he got the opportunity to play, he performed either with bat or ball. Though statistically it was not a tournament to remember for Shakib the batsman, but he delivered with his slow left-arm spin in almost every match he played. He claimed 11 wickets. He started with the new ball, bowled in the middle overs, again came on to bowl at the death. But wherever he bowled, his real contribution has been in strangulating the flow of runs.

Rajat Bhatia:

Again statistically, Rajat Bhatia may not look like a man behind Kolkata’s dream run this year, but the low profile Delhi medium pacer played a very important role. His 12 wickets in 16 matches won’t show his real contribution. But he played a role similar to what in batting terms a ‘grafter’ or a ‘sheet-anchor’ plays. No glamour attached to it but if you consider it from a team’s point of view, the role is one of the most important one. It’s Bhatia who have shown that you can be a valuable addition to your team even with the military medium pace. Though he could not perform well with the bat, his 7.29 economy rate with the ball has made him one of the vital cogs in KKR bowling line-up.

First Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 20:33

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cric...A6_742661.html
Old May 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shak,gazi,mush

the should have played shakib in more matches ,i really miss him,good luck in the final though
Old May 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Men behind KKR’s successful journey this year…

Zeenews.com’s sports team takes a look at the most important players, who guided KKR to their maiden IPL final:

Sunil Narine:

It’s seems Kolkata Knight Riders management has a penchant for the ‘mystery’ spinners. First, it was Sri Lankan Ajatha Mendis, who played for them in the second and third editions. And now, West Indian Sunil Narine. But unlike Mendis, Narine set the IPL 5 on fire and led Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan owned team to the final almost single handedly. He bamboozled the best of the batsmen with the new ball. Even the great Tendulkar failed to ‘read’ his ball and got bowled. He was equally threatening with the old ball. He was hardly taken to the cleaners in any of the matches. He contributed in every victory KKR registered in this season of IPL.

The Trinidadian Narine, who held the `Purple Cap` briefly, has taken 24 wickets in 14 matches, and those wickets came at an enviable average of 11.95 and by far has been the best spinner, if not the best bowler of IPL 5. Not just his number of wickets, but the number of runs he conceded is also amazing. He has just given away 5.20 runs per over in a format where an economy of 7 per over is considered to be reasonable.

Before the IPL, the spinner had the Australian batsmen in trouble in the ODI series that he played just before the IPL. Some of the Australian batsmen openly admitted their inability to ‘pick’ him properly. Seeing him bamboozle the batsmen, most of the West Indians back home are, ruing his absence from their squad that is touring England currently.

But what makes him a special commodity? KKR coach Travor Bayliss puts it like this: "He is one of the mystery spinners. That, combined with accuracy and a bit of extra pace, has made him more than a handful. Even if you`re lucky to pick the ball he has bowled, there`s no guarantee that you`ll actually get him away for runs. More the batsmen play him, more the chances of picking him, but Narine has it in him to stay one step ahead. He`s such an unbelievable talent."

Shakib Al Hasan:

The one thing for which Gambhir has been criticized throughout the entire season was his decision to leave out Bangladeshi all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan from the playing XI. Out of 16 matches Shakib has played just 7. But whenever he got the opportunity to play, he performed either with bat or ball. Though statistically it was not a tournament to remember for Shakib the batsman, but he delivered with his slow left-arm spin in almost every match he played. He claimed 11 wickets. He started with the new ball, bowled in the middle overs, again came on to bowl at the death. But wherever he bowled, his real contribution has been in strangulating the flow of runs.

First Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 20:33

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cric...A6_742661.html
Thanks for sharing apa! Indeed very good analysis on Shakib and Narine! Both of them played an important role behind KKR's success this year
Old May 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Thanks for sharing apa! Indeed very good analysis on Shakib and Narine! Both of them played an important role behind KKR's success this year
Oh arro 2ta darun report pelam Shakib er upor.. tar modhhe ekta dekhlam Dean Jones Shakib er pokhhe besh bhaloi procharona korechhe.. I wonder how come he didn't have any faith in Tamim

"I will have to go with Gautam Gambhir’s men. Kolkata will flourish on a slow, turning pitch with the likes of Sunil Narine, Shakib and Iqbal Abdulla in their ranks. However, if a flat pitch is prepared, then Delhi are the favourites,” says Deano.

“The average score in Pune is 146, so expect a lowscoring one but when Delhi are involved, who can tell! Of course, let me again remind you that it all depends on the pitch. Kolkata’s numbers are 7.5 and 7.0. That shows what a great defensive team they are, but their batting has been poor. The responsibility falls on Gambhir’s shoulders again as the rest have been pretty inconsistent. However, the inclusion of Shakib — which I have been screaming for — has really helped them. He has two man-of-the-matches in limited appearances,” adds Dean Jones."
http://www.indiansportsnews.com/from...ean-jones.html

__________________________________________________ ______________________

"Much of the credit for the victory, which would serve as an excellent dose of confidence ahead of Tuesday’s playoffs clash against the DareDevils, would go to all rounder Shakib-al Hasan.

Not exactly a regular in the team, the former Bangladesh captain did a wonderful job with both the bat and ball, and thus was the deserving winner of the Man of the Match award.

After scoring 42 off just 30 balls, he captured two wickets, including the one of the Warriors captain. Sourav (5) did not look happy with the leg-before decision as he dragged himself to the team dugout. One doesn’t really know if this was the final bow of Sourav, the IPL player. "
http://www.telegraphindia.com/112052...p#.T72ShMUeP3X
Old May 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Cricket Legend

well after the BPL fiasco between him and Tamim, which I believed were mere rumours, maybe are not just rumours.

As we say in Bangla "Jaha rote taha kichu holeo ghote"