facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

nice article magar ei ek Sakib re niya ar koto likhbo?
ektu beshi beshi hoya jaitasey,
the journalists need to focus on the future n°1 AR, which is Mahmudullah Ryad.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
^^ haha ....

I like the below part:

বোলিংয়ে একটা বল শিখতে চাই, যেটা লেফটিদের বাইরে বের হবে। এখনো মাঝেমধ্যে অ্যাঙ্গেলের কারণে বেরিয়ে যায়, অমন না। আমি চাচ্ছি দুসরা-টুসরা জাতীয় উল্টা বল। এখন যে ক্রিকেট হয়েছে, বিশেষ করে টি-টোয়েন্টিতে, শুধু টি-টোয়েন্টিই কেন, ওয়ানডেতেও এখন ব্যাটসম্যানরা ডাউন দ্য উইকেট মারতে যাবেই। এই বলটা শিখতে পারলে অনেক কাজে দিত। তখন ব্যাটসম্যান ডাউন দ্য উইকেট আসার আগে এক শবার ভাবত। ওই বল বেশি করা লাগবে না। দুই ওভারে একটা করলেই ব্যাটসম্যান চিন্তা করবে, ডাউন দ্য উইকেট যে যাব, যদি উল্টাটা হয়, তাহলে তো বল সোজা আকাশে উঠে যাবে। এবার আইপিএলে এটা আমি খুব ফিল করেছি। ফিরে এসে রাজ ভাইকেও (আবদুর রাজ্জাক) বলেছি, এটা শেখেন, নইলে টিকে থাকা কঠিন। ব্যাটিংয়ে আমার লেগ সাইডের খেলায় আরও উন্নতি করতে চাই। একটু-আধটু না, ভালোই উন্নতি দরকার।
I liked the part in bold about learning a new delivery. I've never seen a left arm finger spinner bowl a doosra though. Must be pretty difficult to get control of. I'm sure he picked up this lesson from watching Narine! (I also believe Saqlain, the inventor of the doosra, was one of his favorite players when he was a child)
Old June 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I liked the part in bold about learning a new delivery. I've never seen a left arm finger spinner bowl a doosra though. Must be pretty difficult to get control of. I'm sure he picked up this lesson from watching Narine! (I also believe Saqlain, the inventor of the doosra, was one of his favorite players when he was a child)
I think thats called the Chinaman, its like an off-spin only that its bowled by an left armer. I meet be wrong though
Old June 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker
I think thats called the Chinaman, its like an off-spin only that its bowled by an left armer. I meet be wrong though
The Chinaman is when you bowl left armed wrist spin - like Brad Hogg, Paul Adams, Michael Bevan, Simon Katich etc. But yes, it does have the effect of spinning into the right handed batsman/away from the left handed batsman. However, if Shakib bowls that, the difference in his action will become obvious and batsmen will be able to pick it easily. It's harder to get such a variation using your fingers only.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
The Chinaman is when you bowl left armed wrist spin - like Brad Hogg, Paul Adams, Michael Bevan, Simon Katich etc. But yes, it does have the effect of spinning into the right handed batsman/away from the left handed batsman. However, if Shakib bowls that, the difference in his action will become obvious and batsmen will be able to pick it easily. It's harder to get such a variation using your fingers only.
you're right.

shakib is a finger spinner

But if he can invent that he will be the left handed ajmal. But we do need his batting a lot more than his bowling nowadays. Hope he covers that aspect at first
Old June 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

It is good that Shakib is working on his creativity during his leisure time. I did not think of that aspect. Shame on me for not realizing this aspect before. Creativity is nurtured out of a hiatus from constant action. One must have time to reflect.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

would be exciting if shakib could develop a ball like that!
Old June 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
would be exciting if shakib could develop a ball like that!
forget that..lets hope shakib can invent a delivery that will reverse back...just imagine; the batsmen is running down the crease to hit the ball...they will look like a puppy chasing ball
Old June 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think I might have missed that part - what did he say about the delivery? Is he working on it? It would be great to have variations in test, especially for someone like him who already has a terrific arm ball and turns the ball a mile.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker
you're right.

shakib is a finger spinner

But if he can invent that he will be the left handed ajmal. But we do need his batting a lot more than his bowling nowadays. Hope he covers that aspect at first
Shakib seems to think in the same way. As he said in his interview, he thinks his bowling is 'God-gifted' as it has become his strong point with little effort. However, I think his bowling is very important for us in Tests as he is good at slowing down the scoring rate and taking wickets. Sunny also has the ability to take wickets but as he flights the ball a lot more, on an off day he will be carted for a lot of runs. At the same time, his batting is of crucial importance to us as our top order has a tendency to collapse and needs to be resuscitated by him.

I agree though that in the limited overs game, with the presence of Raj and Sunny, his bowling isn't as desperately needed. But it's in T20s that his batting is weakest and needs the most work. I'm concerned about the fact that in T20s/ODIs/Tests together, he has been bowled 20% of the time. That figure really needs to go down, possibly by eschewing the scoop shot.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
I think I might have missed that part - what did he say about the delivery? Is he working on it? It would be great to have variations in test, especially for someone like him who already has a terrific arm ball and turns the ball a mile.
He said that he is considering developing a doosra-type variation which will go away from the left handed batsman. He said that he learned how important such a variation is from the IPL and when he returned, he told Razzak that he should develop a doosra too.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Shakib seems to think in the same way. As he said in his interview, he thinks his bowling is 'God-gifted' as it has become his strong point with little effort. However, I think his bowling is very important for us in Tests as he is good at slowing down the scoring rate and taking wickets. Sunny also has the ability to take wickets but as he flights the ball a lot more, on an off day he will be carted for a lot of runs. At the same time, his batting is of crucial importance to us as our top order has a tendency to collapse and needs to be resuscitated by him.

I agree though that in the limited overs game, with the presence of Raj and Sunny, his bowling isn't as desperately needed. But it's in T20s that his batting is weakest and needs the most work. I'm concerned about the fact that in T20s/ODIs/Tests together, he has been bowled 20% of the time. That figure really needs to go down, possibly by eschewing the scoop shot.
I think Shakib wants to concentrate on bowling as the interview from CI would suggest:

----------------------
What's your next ambition?
Personally, I want to improve by finishing matches. My bowling isn't going that well. It's difficult to keep both going - batting and bowling. I feel it is hard to concentrate on both in training. I have seen that if I take one discipline and work on it, it gets better. But to work on both is a bit difficult. So you have to let one go at times. It is a problem at times [as an allrounder]. There's a lot of room to work hard. I told you, I am a lazy person.
----------------------------
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/559307.html
Old June 24, 2012, 11:52 AM

Shakib has stamina problem these days, he should work on that too.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
It’s quite obvious if someone put that much effort in sub-continent weather
Old June 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Maybe that's in part due to the 'niggles' that he has been playing with? In any case, i hope he's still keeping up with gym work, cardio etc.
Old June 24, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The next few:
Q. Is there something that you feel would have been better ... say, after the 58 against the WI, the article at Prothom Alo about the ex-players...

Shakib: Yes, could have said it differently. Not commenting would have been the best. The thing about learning you were talking about, I remember what you were saying. You said, if there could be as argument, better the to say the next day rather than then...

Q. Wow!! You have remembered!! I thought by now, all those advices you take in one ear and let it out from the other...

Shakib: Then how did I remembered that? I listen carefully what's important. Instantly (me: could figure this out) can recall things. My brain is very sharp (hahahaha!!). What I was saying the Worldcup atmosphere for us ... for us ...

Q. Inspired, or put pressure?

Shakib: Pressured more. Some can handle pressure, most Can't. At the Worldcup, every TV channels kept on talking about the games, some expert speaking. No one were talking about me though. They were talking about other players. May be sitting, or golpo korchi, someone said so and so said this about me. These type of talk would put added pressure on to those. This did not bode well.

Q. With the exception of the Worldcup, 2011 was also famous for the Zimbabwe tour. Your captaincy was taken away. You could handle this very easy, but really was it so easy inside, no hard feelings?

Shakib: Well, when someone says, why did they sack from the captaincy, would have been better if retained, then things come back to me. Otherwise, I don't think about it much. But doesn't matter how easy I took it (the sacking), I got hurt a little of course. Cause i thought they didn't do it right. I could made some mistakes which I couldn't see. But no one mentioned any specific reason. I think media talk was listened more. Whereas, before that series there weren't any preparation. Cricket is not that easy to play. Still you would see, in that series in Oneday's I scored the most runs, and was the second most wicket taker, I was the best performer in our team, and was adjudged the Man of the Match in the last game. I am not defending myself. but while thinking all of this, by the grace of Allah, what I did I did well. I thought the team was heading to the right direction. There were lot of talk in the media, but see, I and Tamim are still good friends. We were captain-vice captain then and may be that was the reason for others to look at it differently. I still do the same things that I use to do inside and outside of the dressing room. Both are still the same. When I wa the captain I had a power, that is why I felt these things differently.

Q. After getting the full captaincy you talked about some plans about the Bangladesh team. Nothing was fulfilled. Just for this reason, do you still want to be the captain? (I wish I could slap UP for this question)

Shakib: I have no planning till 2015 WC. I have only one target, that is play well. We'll see from there. Though to me, even without the captaincy tag, I still think I am kind of a captain. Inside the field or outside, I myself approach to Musfique bhai and many things. Most of the time he listens.

Q. Do you miss captaincy?
Suite room, I miss that alot. WI's rooms were ... (hahahaha) ... shonargao, shereton, where ever, this the thing I miss most, nothing else.

(To be continued)
Old June 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

As far as my knowledge supports me,The arm ball go inwards to right handed batsman.Shakib want to develop new deliveries that go away from the left hand batsman.So why not use the arm ball which will go away from the left hand batsman?
Old June 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
As far as my knowledge supports me,The arm ball go inwards to right handed batsman.Shakib want to develop new deliveries that go away from the left hand batsman.So why not use the arm ball which will go away from the left hand batsman?
He tried to mean that he wants to have a delivery that TURNS AWAY from the left hander.
Old June 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
The arm ball goes straight on with the arm. When he bowls over the wicket to a right handed batsman, using his sling-y action, his arm ball inevitably goes in towards them. However, the arm ball is flatter and quicker than his stock ball which turns away from the right handed batsman/turns into the left handed batsman. If he could bowl a doosra, then ideally it would be a bit slower so it is harder to pick.
Old June 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
actually, he generally gets tired

And poor stamina is something common among general Bangalesh people. In a country where rice and pulse is common food, fruits contaminated with chemicals, and parents who keep saying: "Sharadin porashuna korle result bhalo hobe"
Old June 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
BC Editorial Team

^^ That excuse isn't entirely valid for someone with Shakib's upbringing. First of all, Shakib was raised in a family full of professional footballers, so (no matter the quality of their football skills) he would/should have learned about correct nutrition. Additionally, he was enrolled in BKSP very soon after he picked up cricket seriously. That's a school designed to train sportspeople and so he would have had a better balance between sport and studies than most kids. I would also hope that the fixed diet at such an institution would be appropriate for budding sportspeople!

Now, still a young man with bucketfuls of cash, he has less excuse than ever before. With the amount of money he earns he has no excuse not to be able to eat the correct foods (especially if the excuse is expense) or hit the gym regularly.
Old June 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Gower, Laxman

Shakib's brilliance as a bowler doesn''t catch up attention immediately, as he is flocked together with near-identical SLAs and belongs to a breed which is responsible for much that is wrong with contemporary economist bowling. Yet he is special. He is special not merely for his variation. Like Warne, he doesn't have a lotta variation in stock, but the existing ones are too good to be bothered about the "absence" of other bowls. He doesn't look much different from a Razzak or a Sunny (no disrespect to them), but he is in fact mile ahead of any other typical SLAs. There is a ritualistic belief that Vettori is the best left arm spinner in cricket. It's time to ascribe this feat to Shakib.

It was frightening to see him trying to put so-called perfect yorker. Not because it is a taboo, but because of the vicious consequence that follows from it. I believe it is Akash Chopra who wrote in CI recently how the yorker-mongering of a Ojha (yorker seems to be a necessity in T20 cricket) led him to astray. Shakib is a sharp bowler, and one hopes he will only use yorkers and suchlike bare effective bowls only occasionally and only in T20 cricket.

Rangana Herath of Sri lanka (a left-arm spinner) bowled the doosra delivery-- one that spins away from left hand batters-- against Australia. It does exist. And Shakib can surely hope to add it to his arsenal. Though his round-armish action would make it really difficult to accommodate it. Let's see. Nevertheless, the absence of doosra doesn't make him any bad a bowler (especially in Test).
Old June 24, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Maybe that's in part due to the 'niggles' that he has been playing with? In any case, i hope he's still keeping up with gym work, cardio etc.
I hope so too. He did say if he doesn't go to the field or pick up bat/ball his hands starts itching. I'm hoping that's also the case when it comes to staying fit.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I know what he does when he is not playing

shutro : http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/da...25/news/268690
Old June 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Arm ball normally goes with the angle which doesn't spin away hitting the ground as far as I know. The one Shakib wants to deliver is that the one after hitting the ground will turn away much like the conventional off spinner deliveries. I think Enamul Haque Jr. developed this delivery which turns away from LH not quite sure though but looks likely. Daniel Vettori sometimes bowl the one which leaves the left hander not sure if he bowls that intentionally or just another arm ball which seems like that.