facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 19, 2003, 11:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Whatmore Interview

I'm attaching the Whatmore interview. if there are any personal questions/comments/observations, I'm very receptive;please don't hesitate.

Thanx to everyone here for the input.This is my first job as a sports writer so I'd really appreciate your feedback.

P.S-Whatmore said a lot of off the record studd.I'd love to share them with you guys sometime.
Old December 20, 2003, 12:09 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Burning Question

ICE: And now on to the Zimbabwe tour. Will we finally see our first test victory?

Whatmore: Possibly although I am not deviating from my goals of attaining individual performances. Judging from their recent performances against the West Indies, Zimbabwe will not be a pushover. We will be arriving just when the rainy season starts so there will be enough moisture in the pitch to offer the seam bowlers plenty of assistance and there probably will not be much spin in the wicket. It will be a taxing time for our batsmen but it will also be the ideal opportunity for them to silence their critics.

Great interview, Samircreep. Two thumbs up. I hope you wouldn't mind the quotes making way to this thread.
Old December 20, 2003, 11:33 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

So what are the off-the-record staffs? Please don't let us wait much longer, we're dying to know more about the 'informal' interview or discussion.

The interview is a good one. I liked the parts that Whatmore said about the the fielding part; especially the slip catching.
Old December 20, 2003, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Samircreep.
Thank you for the interview. Especially about a question close to my heart. I recently wrote something in the same vein. Judging from his remarks it looks like our fielding really needs work.

Quote:
ICE: Why has fielding, especially slip catching, been such a weakness for the team?
Quote:
But you are absolute right about our slip catching and failure in that department has to do with the local pitches and the domestic league. You do not see too often very many slip fielders standing up to bowlers after the ball has lost its shine and that has to do with the low bounce and pace of the local pitches. Thus, the boys only get proper slip practice only when they are in the national camp and this definitely needs to change for us to take slip catches on a consistent basis.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Nice. I wonder if you could do an interview of our new (or old) fielding coach Chapell the next time.
Old December 21, 2003, 02:46 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

samir ... thank you for sharing the interview with us. I am with Fwullah - give us the goods bro (off the record stuff).
Old December 21, 2003, 09:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ok, here's the off the record stuff:

1) Whatmore can't stand Shujon.Surprise surprise I know, but it was really funny how bemused he looked when I asked him why he's still in the team. He was like, Shujon doesn't even have the ability to be part of a provincial side. Whatmore also balmed the Multan loss squarely on Shujon's shoulders. Aparently before the fourth day, Shujon had given a pep talk on how to DRAW the match and asked the team members not to think about winning since it's not gonna happen.What the hell.

2)Whatmore also said that Shumon needs a kick up his backside from time to time to remind him how cocky he gets. Aparently he's had several one on one discussions with Shumon where Whatmore would shout out his lungs just so that he would get his message. Funny thing is, Ashraful doesn't respond to shouting.Whatmore said that the best way of dealing with Ash was to give him the cold silent treatment.Seems as is there were lotsa times when Ash would come quietly to Whatmore's room in the evening and aplogize for his performance.

3)More on Ash. Ash, like Kapali, has oodles of talent, according to Whatmore. the problem is that they're both very young, particularly Ash.That made both of them get the expectations better of them.Another problem with Ash is that at time's he's been overcoached. With too many people telling him what to do, Ash has forgotten to play his natural game which is based on attack.

4) Whatmore's favorite players are Kapali, Rajin and..surprise surprise, Mushfique. Mushfique should definitely be made captain since he's got ability and has terrific temperment.

There's more, i'm short on time now but I'll reply.What do u guys think?
Old December 21, 2003, 10:06 PM
Retired BC Admin

More, more please! Read 'em all in one breath. Need more.
Old December 21, 2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

Sameer - Any inckling then on when we might get a new captain ?

Whatmore's comments on Sujon playing for a draw just does not add up ? There is no way a Pakistani tail can survive 90 overs and not catch up to the 114 run or so deficit.

So who are our captain contenders -

not the cocky Sumon for sure.

Mushfique, Hannan, Kapali, or Rajin ?

Might be from the first 2 ??
Old December 21, 2003, 11:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Interesting stuff indeed! When didyou sit down with him? I agree about shujon. he is hopeless. we got rid of another hopeless customer sanwar hossain for good hopefully. his chucking incident was a blessing in disguise for us. he will never come back. I like ash batting at number 5 for us. thanks for the info!!
Old December 21, 2003, 11:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ok, more:

1)Whatmore thinks a lot of Rajin. He thinks this guy is a real deal, with wonderful technique and really amazing temperment.He finds it very puzzling that Rajin wasn't playing tests at least a couple of years ago.

2)He's really disappointed with the pace bowlers of BD. None of them have any ability, apart from Mash, to bowl consistently quick and they also lack stamina to bowl long spells. But he's very impressed with Tapash;aparently he's got tremendous heart and gives his soul for the team.He can also be deceptively qucik and calls him a "breathtaking" fielder.Also, he's very good at moving the ball away from the right hander, something that all our bowlers lack.

3) He can't stand Monju. Aparently Monju has no idea to bowl threatening spells and Whatmore blames him a lot for the famous defeat against Pakistan.Can't see him playing anymore while Whatmore's the coach.Pity though, i know he's pretty good.

4)Talha won't go to Zimbabwe.He'll be playing in the Under 19 WC. He thinks he's good but aparently he's overated.

5) He thinks highly of the selectors, especially faruq. Aparently he's got a very good cricket brain and they're tying to form a very good partnership.

I'll write more if i can think up all the other stuff he said.
Old December 21, 2003, 11:43 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

wondering if the off the record stuff was ever supposed to be shared with anyone ... (I know that I was one of those looking forward to it).

I can work with Mushfiq as he can still bat a little. His bowling is as good as Shujon so we should be better off.
Old December 22, 2003, 12:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

I have no journalistic integrity whatsoever so please glean this information with utter glee
Old December 22, 2003, 03:53 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Thou shall not ...

Samircreep just didn't spell out the unspellable, he shared his bread and butter with us.

He might get into trouble if we do not keep our mouth shut. And if he is in trouble, we do not have another samircreep who would risk his livelyhood to gladly share his heart with us.

We'll never get inside info if we don't know how to appretiate it's source, safety and potential.

Please be patient, be mute.
Old December 22, 2003, 04:22 AM
First BC Member

Default Off the record staffs

I WANNA CRY ... :duh:

If not Sumon, then who? I know that making Mushfique or Hannan won't be good for either their or the team's future.

Quote:
Whatmore can't stand Shujon.Surprise surprise I know, but it was really funny how bemused he looked when I asked him why he's still in the team. He was like, Shujon doesn't even have the ability to be part of a provincial side. Whatmore also balmed the Multan loss squarely on Shujon's shoulders. Aparently before the fourth day, Shujon had given a pep talk on how to DRAW the match and asked the team members not to think about winning since it's not gonna happen.What the hell.
I guess Whatmore would not like Sujon much - obviously because of his poor form since the beginning of his coaching. But in order to achieve something big, and I mean to win, both parties have to sacrifice some things. I just hope that everybody (including Sujon - the player, Whatmore - the coach and the selectors) gets that soon.

When I read that Whatmore is disappointed in our pace bowling apart from Mash, the only one thing that came into my mind - "What about Tapash, then?"

I agree that Monju is a handful - I suppose Whatmore will realize his mistakes someday and include Monju for the good of the team - in the ODIs at least.

And I was thinking of watching Talha in Zimbabwe. Because there's nobody else who would bowl threatening spells. I don't think he will get to play in too many matches in the U-19 world cup. Probably he needs more time to gain some control over line and length?

I think Sumon will make an excellent captain; indirectly doing everything that Whatmore tells him to do - kinda like Akram Khan. Sumon, like Sujon, will not protest to anything - he'll do exactly what Whatmore wants. All Whatmore have to do, is continue shouting at Sumon for his bad decisions on the field.

If Whatmore had been here coaching when Ashraful started playing for national team, then it would have been better. But I guess we have to wait on both Ashraful and Kapali to let them grow up and mature a bit.

About Mushfique and Rajin's batting - I think Whatmore hasn't seen them on bouncy green wickets - in short, he will be disappointed. The other day, I was looking at Bangladesh's maiden tour of South Africa - in the year 2000; not in the recent tour of South Africa when Bangladesh played 2 tests and 3 ODIs, I am talking about the first tour - when Bangladesh was bowled out for 57 and 51. Mushfique was there who went along with the national team, and to be very specific, he STRUGGLED under those conditions with the bat.

Rajin is also a very similar sort of player like Mushfique. In fact, if I try to separate players who has temperament and those who don't have temperament, then I think I will have to segment that list like this:-

Players who have loads of temperament, they struggle in batsman-unfriendly conditions in Australia, South Africa. As I said, Rajin and Mushfique fall into this category. Javed Omar, Shahriar Hossain (Bidyut) - they're all in this category.

On the other hand, Hannan Sarkar, Al Shahriar - they don't have much temperament, and yet they fall into the category of - those who can play better in South Africa and Australian conditions.

Anyway, we can make out a new thread on the last point that I tried to make.

All I wanna say is, Whatmore's perception about who are his favorite players and who are not - it will change a lot in the future.

By the way, is this (the following about Mushfique) Whatmore's own words?

Quote:
he's got ability
If yes, then I think Whatmore has lots to learn. Big things don't come easy I guess.
Old December 22, 2003, 09:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Off the record.

I have been out of discussion for a long time, since the last series. But I had to come to out just to request one thing, what sameer shared with us ("Off the Record") should never be discussed which might put his job in danger. He gave us information that we only dream we could have, so please keep in mind how privileged we are through him.

I know some one mentioned it once, but you can never be too carefull.

Thanks

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by cricket_er]
Old December 22, 2003, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Just to make it clear

Samir...he or she?
Old December 22, 2003, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default haha

you guys are funny... making that kid scared....

That off the record writing is the best Whatmore intereview I have ever read. Sameer, the fact that Whatmore told you all these shows that you got some skills and got something out of him. Now you need to think about changing your original interview with some of that inside info.... the original didn't really offer anything new - the usual babbling about individual performance..... Be like dailystar... journalism without fear.. lol... ok I am stupid.. peace!

PS... Can we have more please This is awesome!!!
Old December 22, 2003, 11:59 AM
First BC Member

And these off the record staffs - it will not be moved under another topic on this site and it will not be discussed in or mentioned about in any other website on Internet
Old December 22, 2003, 10:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ok, here's some more.

I think I told some of you guys that Nafis and i go way back.So he came over to the Mohammadpur field last Friday (this is where we used to play cricket together when we were kids, it's right opposite to St. Joseph) so i had an opportunity to talk to him after a long time.So this is what i got from him:

1)There's no trouble between him and Aftab; in fact, they're really good buddies.What happened was Aftab, as with most of the other players, became very daunted by Mckinnes work ethic and demanding training schedule.Coupled with the fact that he had not passed his Matrick in the last two years, Aftab had called for a "break" which was obviously misconstrued by members of the press into something else.But now I guess everything's back into normal. But I was listening to their practise stories and boy, McKinnes does make them work their *** off.The boys have to spend every day for the 3 months at BKSP and only get 6 hours off on Fridays.Sounds like a military camp!

2) Talking about Aftab as a player, Nafis thinks he's excellent and plays the short ball really well, especially the hook shot.he has a poor work ethic which can obviously be worked upon.

3)Nafiz played down his poor one day performances coz of nerves.Aparently Whatmore didn't mollycoddle him before the matches and he felt kinda "lonely" in the dressing room.Strange excuses, methinks.

More Whatmore gossip:
1)Whatmore has a really foul mouth.He can cuss like a mofo (see, it's contagious).

2)Whatmore was really disappointed with Rafique's fielding in the infamous Multan loss. Aparently Rafique is a complete "lazy bugger" in the field and he missed two clear cut chances (I only remember one) to run out Gul.

3) Hannan won't be captain of BD as long as Whatmore is here.Don't get me wrong, Hannan is actually one of Whatmore favourite players(along with Tapash, they are the team workahaulics) but aparently he has no leadership skills and is very "meek, shy and introverted", not Whatmore captaincy materials.On another note, Whatmore did an absolutely funny Hannan impression while he was talking to me, and i nearly fell off the chair hehe.
Old December 22, 2003, 10:47 PM
Retired BC Admin

Boy, oh boy. How cud we ever thank you, samir?
Old December 23, 2003, 02:02 AM
Cricket Legend

You didn't ask him whether he wears boxers or briefs? I'm dissapointed, the people have a right to know.

With the size of Whatmore's waist, what kind of fielder is he? He's one to talk...

What's the deal with him making so many off-the-record comments to a magazine reporter? Doesn't he care that some of it will get out inevitably? (hey don't look at me if it gets out).
Old December 23, 2003, 08:06 AM
First BC Member

I agree 110 percent with Whatmore only on this OFF THE RECORD STAFF.

Quote:
Whatmore was really disappointed with Rafique's fielding in the infamous Multan loss. Aparently Rafique is a complete "lazy bugger" in the field and he missed two clear cut chances (I only remember one) to run out Gul.
In fact, I would go one up and add that "none of our YOUNG team (are they all really young, or are they old - like 60 year old atheletes? - who know only ground-fielding) players know how to break the stumps on a direct throw".
Old December 23, 2003, 08:07 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
Whatmore has a really foul mouth.He can cuss like a mofo
Now I don't undersatnd - what's a 'cuss' and what's a 'mofo'?
Old December 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

-Curse
-Mother Fu****

[Edited on 12-23-2003 by chinaman : Moderation]