facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 12, 2009, 12:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Selection process

BD Cricket team
1) How the selection process is done? From A to Z.

2) How the selection process needs to be done? From A to Z.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old August 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont know the process.....but how does Dollar mahmud even deserve to be close to the national team is just beyond me.....
Old August 12, 2009, 12:40 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Selection process is just fine. We have full time national selectors for the national team, age group and academy selectors who also helps in A team selection. They select teams based on some policy which is dubious and debatable.

The problem is in selection policy.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I dont know the process.....but how does Dollar mahmud even deserve to be close to the national team is just beyond me.....
He has some MAMAs in the upper level!!
Old August 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Me 2.
+++
A suggestion would be to look in to established nations setup on this process. England, Australia, SA. We are watching the saga of Flintoff, KP, Watson, Harmison, Onion, Clark, Lee, Ramprakash,Tresco etc. England selectors sitting with the captain and the coaches having feedback. Aussie' accompanying the team. Where do we stand?

Soon we will find ourselves in a limbo with SN, Aftab, Raqibul, Riyad, Nazimuddin, Rubel (spinner), Dhiman, Farhad, Zunaed etc.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM..
Old August 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
They should get rid of Rafiq and Durjoy from the selection panel. Rafiq is just pure crap!! (Biral mama should be his name instead of Bagh Mama).

His comments to the media after every selections are just hillarious. I think shei dhaail khaiya comment gulo korte ashe
Old August 12, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Selection process is just fine. We have full time national selectors for the national team, age group and academy selectors who also helps in A team selection. They select teams based on some policy which is dubious and debatable.

I am not here to find a problem. I just want to know the procedures and see if that can be made better. Continuous improvement. You equip the right people with the right tools before one can ask performance.

Do they watch the boys play? Do they have video footages? Selectors job is more like recruiting first. How does stats play a roll, if any? Or the selection is just made on the hunch of the selectors? How do they go about to do their duties? That is what I am trying to know.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:54 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

What should a player (bowler and batsmen) outside the main teams has to do, to get attention of selectors?
Old August 12, 2009, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
What should a player (bowler and batsmen) outside the main teams has to do, to get attention of selectors?
if the player comes through age group nation teams then he has to do well in U19 tournaments to get selection in academy or A team

if he fails to do well in U19 tournament or if he was not a part of age group team, he has to do well in domestic tournaments (Dhaka league and NCL) to get selection in academy or A team

consistent performers of academy or A team is considered for the main team

current form (NCL or Dhaka league) is considered for his selection in the main team if his technique is ok for international matches

--- I think selection process is like this
Old August 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
Club Cricketer

Like Faruk and Co we have got Rafiq and Co and we have additionally Lipu politician. Except, Akram Khan who really played with heart to lift BD cricket, anybody has mentality go beyond politics and loves BD cricket. Just like Lipu, when team fails they will find scapeoat and if team win they will jump faster than the fans to get credit. The BD selection is in a mess, Kapali was talking in Prothom-alo that they will be not taken to national team because these people are really vindictive.

The main problem is there is no accountability for the selectors as well as board chairman. BD cricket has so much infra-structure problem. I wish cricket is run by cricketers who first has the heart, courage and honesty to take the cricket to next-level before looking into their effeiciency. Because these guys are doing politics and I do not think they are basic mistakes. I wish cricket should be run with former players like Chacha, Akram, Bulbul, Rafiq whoc really would die for BD cricket and their love for cricket and dedication is unquestionable.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbubH
if the player comes through age group nation teams then he has to do well in U19 tournaments to get selection in academy or A team

if he fails to do well in U19 tournament or if he was not a part of age group team, he has to do well in domestic tournaments (Dhaka league and NCL) to get selection in academy or A team

consistent performers of academy or A team is considered for the main team

current form (NCL or Dhaka league) is considered for his selection in the main team if his technique is ok for international matches

--- I think selection process is like this
Let say he missed out on U-19,academy and A-team. Should he be given any chance? if he plays well in NCL or DPL
Old August 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
Like Faruk and Co we have got Rafiq and Co and we have additionally Lipu politician. Except, Akram Khan who really played with heart to lift BD cricket, anybody has mentality go beyond politics and loves BD cricket. Just like Lipu, when team fails they will find scapeoat and if team win they will jump faster than the fans to get credit. The BD selection is in a mess, Kapali was talking in Prothom-alo that they will be not taken to national team because these people are really vindictive.

The main problem is there is no accountability for the selectors as well as board chairman. BD cricket has so much infra-structure problem. I wish cricket is run by cricketers who first has the heart, courage and honesty to take the cricket to next-level before looking into their effeiciency. Because these guys are doing politics and I do not think they are basic mistakes. I wish cricket should be run with former players like Chacha, Akram, Bulbul, Rafiq whoc really would die for BD cricket and their love for cricket and dedication is unquestionable.
Why do you believe that much on a Kapali interview? I am sure he would not die for BD cricket.... he is just another ICLer!! On the other hand Lipu did well as BD captain and he was the manager while we won ICC.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Let say he missed out on U-19,academy and A-team. Should he be given any chance? if he plays well in NCL or DPL
I think so, look at Zunaed did well in Dhaka league and then was tried in T20 world cup. I have not seen him playing for U19 team at least in U19 world cup.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
hey Mo,
You are planning to teach these boys a lesson or two? When are moving back to BD? Don't tell me Yousuf is already that good.
Old August 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
hey Mo,
You are planning to teach these boys a lesson or two? When are moving back to BD? Don't tell me Yousuf is already that good.
Inshallah I will try to make my boy a cricketer if he wants to and support him as much as possible. You just pray for him.
Old August 12, 2009, 03:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

These days, most players pick themselves in the squad, as currently these are the best available players in the country. Selectors has been a lot more stable recently. Winning does that. First losing streak next will show us how consistent they remain. One or two players always will come and go due to injury or what not.
Old August 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
2) How the selection process needs to be done? From A to Z.
For the next three or four years:

1. Minimize debuts
2. Define a core group of 25 cricketers to pick from
3. Stick to them through heaven and hell

Let the teenagers grow into men, score some FC centuries, crank up their speeds and fine tune their doosras/teesras/wrong 'uns before considering them, even if they seem to be in better form than some of the national players at a given point of time. Give the buiras a shot in the A team too, if they are good enough.

At the end of the three/four year period, we will have:

1. A squad that knows all the hows, whats and whens of international cricket
2. Reserves who can come in and perform straightaway under the shadow of more experienced players in the national team
Old August 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

^^^^ Right on..
Old August 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cricket Guru

When it comes to bowlers, I think a lot depends on what coaches suggest. For example, Nazmul prolly would not be back in the team had BCB coaches not supported him.

Enamul has been called to Zimbabwe because national team management asked for him, selectors just obliged their request.
Old August 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

In paper, I am sure there is a good selection policy. But in reality they can select any player they want and defend it with a crappy excuse. Look at the recent selection of Dollar Mahmud- what is the reasoning behing selecting him? Of course the selectors will give you an idiotic answer. I don't think there is any major problem with the selection policy. The problem is with the people who are executing the policy- namely the selection committee and the BCB.