facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Where would you like these two to bat?
Shakib 4; Mushfiq 5 6 20.69%
Shakib 4; Mushfiq 3 4 13.79%
Mushfiq 4; Shakib 5 12 41.38%
Shakib 5; Mushfiq 6 (currently employed mostly) 4 13.79%
Shakib 3; Mushfiq 4 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 27, 2015, 03:48 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default It's time for Shakib and Mushfiq to play at Number 4 and 5

One thing that is evident now is that these two are our hands down best performers and match winners when it comes to batting. We need to get rid of this notion of "safety first" approach and bat our two best batsmen higher up. Now, I know that we run the risk of losing both our best two batsmen early on, but we are not nearly utilizing the full potential of these two. And if Bangladesh is seriously considering a spot at the quarterfinals, then they must take the bold decision to bat these two higher up the order. They have to stop worrying about the risks that may come and play a fearless brand of cricket as the rewards will far outweigh the risk in this world cup.

Ideally, I would like both Shakib and Mushfiq to be at the crease from 14 overs on and build a partnership that will carry us towards the death overs with one of them staying not out at the end of the innings. This would mean that one of these two would need to bat at the number three position. One would think that Mushfiq should be a good match for this spot. But unfortunately, statistics just doesn't show good numbers for our little guy to be at this spot. Mushfiq, arguably has one of the best techniques in our side, but one does feel he is bit susceptible to the quicker bowlers early on. Whereas, he is a natural player of the spin would henceforth be a better choice to come in a bit later which would make him ideal for the number five position.

For a team like like Bangladesh, the best batsmen should come in at number four. Shakib is unarguably the best batsman in our team and our batting should revolve around him just as what India's batting is revolving around Kohli. The good news is that Shakib possesses all the traits required for this position. He is one of the best rotators of strike, and get singles at will. This is perfect trait for a number four batsmen who usually looks to milk the middle overs at start. Shakib also can up the ante at any given time once he is well settled. One thing I did notice about Shakib is that he needs to be given time to settle in before we can expect him to give us that explosive total. This is why the number four position is the perfect platform for him.

I reiterate, for our team to post any challenging total, we must give the two best batsmen in our team the maximum number of overs to face the bowling. By under utilizing these two, the Bangladesh team is certainly losing out on a chance give itself a best possible effort and run the risk of an early world cup exit.
Old February 27, 2015, 03:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Been saying that since First ODI against zIm. I find absolutely no reason to bat them higher up the order.

My vote goes to: Mushy 4, Shakib 5
Old February 27, 2015, 03:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Why would we want that? If they start scoring decent runs in those positions it would relieve pressure off the batsmen to follow...That would be the most un-Bangladeshi and practical thing to do!
Old February 27, 2015, 03:56 AM

I added a poll as well.
Old February 27, 2015, 03:58 AM
Cricket Legend

It would work, but then we will have bunch of nincompoops who won't even be able to score quickly/accelerate/slog/score boundaries in the last 15 or so overs (if Shakib and Mushfiq don't last that long). We try strengthen one aspect of our line-up, another weakens.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Why do we have mominul in the one day side. Id rather have zia rahman coming in at 8. Too bad he isnt even in the squad.

Tamim
Sarkar
Riyad
Sakib
Mushfiq
Shabbir
Nasir
9 (Mortaza)
Rubel
Taskin
Old February 27, 2015, 04:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Mushy 3, shak 4. Mushy just seems to have the best skills to do well at 3 consistently and play big innings which he can't do down the order, shakib I like at 5 but he has a better record at 4 and mushy and shak bat very well together so should be next to each other in e order. The 5, 6, and 7 spots should at least include nasir and sabbir and at this stage riyad would be there also.

We also need at least one aggressive opener, tamim used to play that role but no longer does so soumya or liton (possibly both) should be given opportunities.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:06 AM

NoName, I would rather have us worry about a situation where we lost both these two at the 40th over with already 200 scored. At worst we will at least fall in to the "team target" of 250. But if somehow one of those nincompoops click, we might scooch to 280.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Having them at 4 and 5 isn't bad either but we need one of the best bats in the team at 3, you need someone reliable in that spot and mushy is more reliable than shakib who has gotten better at curbing his bashing at the wrong time lately but still struggles a bit to hold off, more so than mushy. Have to say thoug having shakib lower is somewhat tempting because he really can bash the ball around, you need someone like that in the last 10/15 overs but he certainly does need to bat lowest at 5 for the teams sake, besides if he plays well he will be there for those overs anyway.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
Mushy 3, shak 4. Mushy just seems to have the best skills to do well at 3 consistently and play big innings which he can't do down the order, shakib I like at 5 but he has a better record at 4 and mushy and shak bat very well together so should be next to each other in e order. The 5, 6, and 7 spots should at least include nasir and sabbir and at this stage riyad would be there also.

We also need at least one aggressive opener, tamim used to play that role but no longer does so soumya or liton (possibly both) should be given opportunities.
Mushfiq is weak against pace and swing. Id rather have Riyad at 3, who has his highest score against Australia new ball bowlers.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:

This is also what I had wanted. I actually wanted two aggressive batsmen opening. Followed by a somewhat less aggressive bat, but still explosive to continue with a 5 RR. So that even if we had lost the top three, Shakib and Mushfiq will not have to worry about increasing the run rate and will settle before attempting to take risk.

My scenario would be: Both Tamim and Anamul will go flay at anything on the first Powerplay where I expect to lose one of them within the first five overs, followed by Sarkar at stepping in and still continuing the tempo. I want to be at 75/3 after 14 over. I have faith in Mushfiq and Shak to carry us over after that.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Mushfiq is weak against pace and swing. Id rather have Riyad at 3, who has his highest score against Australia new ball bowlers.
He's no worse than anyone else in the team if not better.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:46 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I hate Riyad in BPP or Death overs. So I'd keep him at 4. Mushy at 3 and Shakib at 5. Followed by...

No, no. I promised myself I won't talk line up. It's pointless. Nothing comes out of it.
Old February 27, 2015, 04:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
He's no worse than anyone else in the team if not better.
But I would rather have Mushfiq in the later overs with his wicket intact.

Number 3 isnt there to score runs, they're there to stabilise the innings, after a loss of opener (usually being the aggressive opener).
Old February 27, 2015, 05:56 AM
Test Cricketer

In the record book...

http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/article/463372
Old February 27, 2015, 06:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
But I would rather have Mushfiq in the later overs with his wicket intact.

Number 3 isnt there to score runs, they're there to stabilise the innings, after a loss of opener (usually being the aggressive opener).
Well I can't agree number 3s aren't there to score runs, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Kumar sangakkara, Viv richards. Just because they are there to stabilise the innings doesn't mean they aren't there to score runs....ideally your openers bat out the new ball and the number 3 comes in takes advantage and bats as many overs as possible but obviously whilst scoring runs.

Fair enough if you want mushy for late overs I get that because he's reliable and can score fairly quickly.
Old February 27, 2015, 06:57 AM
Test Cricketer

There is no alternative other than mushy n shak are playing 4 and 5. Mushi should not bat in number 3@WC.
Batting order
Tamim/Anam
Sarker
Riad
Mushy
Shakib
Shabbir
Nasir
Mash
Saiful
Taijul
Rubel
Old February 27, 2015, 07:40 AM
Club Cricketer

^^ Putting Mushfiq and Sakib at #4 and #5 repectively should not make Mahmudullah a top order batsman coming at #3. If we're done with Riyad at #4 then he should get back to # 6 folowed by Sabbir and Nasir at #7 and #8 receptively (in New Zealand condition).

Riyad at top order would be an embarrassment and we should refrain to think such a way.
Old February 27, 2015, 08:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Where is the option of Mushfiq at 3 and Shak at 5?
Old February 27, 2015, 08:45 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

era jodi up the order ashe taile to hoilo na...it's not about winning games of cricket for bangladesh....its about these guys maintaining their averages...30/40 run korlei to job done...who cares about win/loss...sakib er number 1 ranking is more important to the fans then the results...
Old February 27, 2015, 10:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Shakib bats best at 4, So I would have him at 4, rahim at 5

Old February 27, 2015, 10:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Ya, our two best batsmen should not bat so low, I wouldn't mind it if Tam,Vij & Momi/Sarkar were scoring more but as it is not happening they should bat up, that way atleast one of them will get enough time to score a 100.
Old February 27, 2015, 11:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I think we need to find someone like Ricky ponting or virat kohly for number 3 position who can rotate the strike easily and has the ability to score a big hundred. At the moment we may have players as good as ponting & kohly (technically ) but they definitely lack the mentality to score big hundreds. ATM Mushi seems to me the best batsmen we have who has the potential to build long innings but however the stats doesn't support him that much though.

On topic: i would like to see sakib at number 4 and Mushi at 5
Old February 27, 2015, 11:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Work load. That needs to be managed properly. If one get injured and misses a game it would be more detrimental.

Also Shakib needs to come after Mushfiq if he (Mushfiq) is in the lineup.
Old February 27, 2015, 12:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shak,gazi,mush

Definitely need your best players to face the most number of deliveries. Look at most of the other teams: Sri Lanka has Sanga at number 3, India Kohli, New Zealand Williamson, etc...