facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 20, 2015, 09:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default DRS questions

Legal pace ball pitched up 50%+ inside the off, hits the pad in line, projecting to hit the leg stump 30% (1/3rd in).

1) Umpire calls out, batsman challenges, umpire's call; given out.
2) Umpire calls notout, bowler challenges, umpire's call; given notout.

So WTH? Out or not out? Can't be both? Why are we even using the DRS then if we go with the umpire's call?

Enlighten me please.
Old July 20, 2015, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Legal pace ball pitched up 50%+ inside the off, hits the pad in line, projecting to hit the leg stump 30% (1/3rd in).

So WTH? Out or not out? Can't be both? Why are we even using the DRS then if we go with the umpire's call?

Enlighten me please.
1) Umpire calls out > 50%+ pitched inside > Third umpire proceeds for hawk-eye > Hit the leg stump by 30%, hence stays as umpires call.

2) Umpire calls not out, stays not out.

Winner is the umpire in both cases!
Old July 20, 2015, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
1) Umpire calls out > 50%+ pitched inside > Third umpire proceeds for hawk-eye > Hit the leg stump by 30%, hence stays as umpires call.

2) Umpire calls not out, stays not out.

Winner is the umpire in both cases!
I get that. My contention is how come one ball be out and notout at the same time? Either it is out or notout. Can't be both. The system is flawed. Saving umpire's a$$ doesn't do JUSTICE. The whole DRS system was put in place to correct umpires mistake.

The current rule is stupid. The rule should be clear. If the projection is less than 50% hitting the stumps then it should be notout. Done.
Old July 20, 2015, 10:22 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Sorry, I'm about to be lil condescending but I saw so many BD fans asking this question during games on CI. I get it, DRS is new to some of you since BCB has been too cheap to use DRS. But it really isn't that hard. In order to overturn the on-field call DRS has to be more than 50% opposite of the original call. And I like it this way because you can't "punish" umps for marginal decisions.

@TE, it's just like the NFL. You gotta have clear evidence to overturn an on-field call. I know you get it but you just don't like it. I like it, otherwise umpires become useless. What I don't like is teams being charged a review for an "umpires call" decisions.
Old July 20, 2015, 11:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:

Enlighten me please.
Benefit of doubt goes to umpire
Old July 20, 2015, 12:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
@TE, it's just like the NFL. You gotta have clear evidence to overturn an on-field call...
Clear like a water now. Didn't register first. Thanks. Had to relate to something that I am familiar with.

Ruling on the field stands. Not necessarily the right call. No more questions from me at this time.
Old July 20, 2015, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Yes Dilscoop is correct. The technolology is not perfect (cue BCCI condemntation now) but what system is perfect? Its ridiculous for BCCI to say "we will only support DRS once scientists prove it is infallible". Sabziwala B12 deficient logic at its finest.

But because any measurement must have an associated uncertainty/error assoc with it, the umpire's call falls into that grey area. When they show the ball hitting 30% of leg stump, there is no guarantee the ball is hitting leg stump at all! Its a marginal, could-go-either-way-we-can't-know-for-sure decision. Thus on field ruling stays. Its a very well thought out rule.

Problem is teams shouldn't be charged for umpire call reviews.
Old July 20, 2015, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

i still don't understand the fuss. Let me start with something

There is nothing exactly called actual LBW in cricket, because we dont exactly see what happens. the bowler appeals and then the umpire decides if the ball would be going on to hit the stumps. Now some marginal calls can be given to either side and the umpire can still be said to have given a rather fair decision.

Now DRS means decision reveiw system means overturning the umpire's call for which there needs to be adeuqate evidence that the decision can be overturned. there is nothing called, out or not out at the same time. You will see a particular catch which is not exactly clear to the 3rd umpire and he decides on giving it favour of the on-field umpire's call.

Also, there is a particular margin of error with the hawkeye.
Old July 20, 2015, 02:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

I want teams to retain the review in case it's an Umpire's call. At least this much if we still have to take his words.
Old July 20, 2015, 05:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
I get that. My contention is how come one ball be out and notout at the same time? Either it is out or notout. Can't be both. The system is flawed. Saving umpire's a$$ doesn't do JUSTICE. The whole DRS system was put in place to correct umpires mistake.

The current rule is stupid. The rule should be clear. If the projection is less than 50% hitting the stumps then it should be notout. Done.

It was when it was released but they changed the ruling now so ONLY howlers are overturned and conclusive evidence is needed to overturn a decision. If a ball pitches outside the zone <50% or not hitting the wicket >50% the decision will stay with the umpire. But the teams lose a review, there in lies the problem as al furqaan says and thats one area that needs improving.
Old July 20, 2015, 07:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
I want teams to retain the review in case it's an Umpire's call. At least this much if we still have to take his words.
Agree .. its illogical to take out the review for "Umpire's Decision"

Series: Pak, Ind, SA ..... (Won All Three ODI Series) Updated: 25Jul2015
Old July 20, 2015, 08:47 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Clear like a water now. Didn't register first. Thanks. Had to relate to something that I am familiar with.

Ruling on the field stands. Not necessarily the right call. No more questions from me at this time.
lol unless this...

Old July 20, 2015, 09:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Can anyone tell me what is the logic of not giving an LBW when the ball pitches outside leg ?

Because there are cases when batsman is plumb front of stumps, ball is surely gonna hot middle of middle stump, but as the ball pitched just outside leg it is ruled not out.

So any body know the rules why this happened????
Old July 20, 2015, 09:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

Enlighten me please.
Case 1. It starts with bowler feels out, umpire too feels out. Only batsman feels not out. Now no body is perfect, even the DRS, so you need clean evidence to over rule what majority of field thinks also considering the error of technology.
That's why what was given out, u must prove the ball would not hit the stump with technology.

Case 2. Bowler feels out, umpire's feels not out. Batsman always feel he is not out. Bowler challenges. So this time technology must show the whole ball, would have hit the stumps.

The rules are fair enough. U give instant feelings of on field umpire the value and then technology also has its fair say.
Old July 20, 2015, 10:31 PM
BC Editorial Team

al-Sagar, the pitched outside leg rule come from Bodyline. Jardine's approach was to have Larwood go around the wicket and just try to hit Bradman. Or get him in a tangle playing the pull shot. Or get him LBW as he was trying to duck and the ball stayed low. Now the wider you bowl from, the more cramping the angle is. To create a disincentive for this approach, LBWs to balls pitching outside of leg stump was disallowed.
Old July 21, 2015, 12:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
al-Sagar, the pitched outside leg rule come from Bodyline. Jardine's approach was to have Larwood go around the wicket and just try to hit Bradman. Or get him in a tangle playing the pull shot. Or get him LBW as he was trying to duck and the ball stayed low. Now the wider you bowl from, the more cramping the angle is. To create a disincentive for this approach, LBWs to balls pitching outside of leg stump was disallowed.
Thanks a lot
Old July 21, 2015, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

That over turn on Duminy. Nothing but Joy!!!
Old July 21, 2015, 01:05 PM
Cricket Sage

It looked plumb straight away