facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 15, 2009, 02:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!
Default Formal Invitation to Attend the Conference: Bangladesh 1971: Addressing Claims of War Crimes, Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity.

Dear Community members,

On behalf of Kean University Human Rights Institute and Bangladesh Study Group, we welcome you to join us in the international Conference on "Bangladesh 1971: Addressing Claims of War Crimes, Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity" and show your invaluable support . The conference will take place on Sunday October 18 2009 from 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM at Kean University's prestigious thousand seat capacity Wilkins Theater for Performing Arts.

The goal of the conference is to scrutinize the atrocities of 1971 from nonpolitical and unbiased observational standpoint as well as to possibly develop a course on the mass murder of Bangladesh in 1971.

Our partnership with Liberation War Museum Bangladesh, will bring you a gallery display of rare collection of evidences, pictures, newspaper clippings etc - it's like having a mini replica of Bangladesh's Liberation War Museum right here at New Jersey! Please do not miss this opportunity to introduce your children to the painful birth of our nation and the injustice that has long been underserved.

Many Scholars are attending, including Shahriar Kabir, Dr. M.A. Hassan, Prof. Ved P. Nanda, Dr. Shelly Feldman, Dr. Roger Clark and the list goes on.

His Excellency Akramul Qader, Ambassador of Bangladesh to the U.S will deliver the welcome address along with Dr. Dawood Farahi, president of Kean University.

Please find the attached pdf documents including our official poster, a press release, brief program outline and program schedule, and transportation direction to our campus. For more information, please visit: http://www.kean.edu/~bgsg, or email bdgenostudy@gmail.com, bgsg@kean.edu or call Arif Rahman at 908-737-3287 or M. Rahman Shovon at 908-737-6024.

Please forward this message to your friends and family and encourage them to participate.

We look forward to seeing you in the conference!

Bangladesh Study Group
Human Rights Institute
Kean University
1000 Morris Ave, Union, NJ 07083
www.kean.edu
www.kean.edu/~bgsg
Old October 15, 2009, 02:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Default .....

I completely forgot the number of people living close to me who come to this forum!

For those living in the tri-state area, please spread the word and do try to come. If someone needs more information, they can contact me directly via a personal message here and I can get in touch with them.

Thanks.
Old October 15, 2009, 02:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am proud to be a Bangladeshi. Many of my uncles and aunts (yes, they were in the trenches with guns) has fought for a better life and didn't care of their own.
Quote:
The goal of the conference is to scrutinize the atrocities of 1971 from nonpolitical and unbiased observational standpoint as well as to possibly develop a course on the mass murder of Bangladesh in 1971.
In my humble opinion, this is in many ways so wrong. My belief system is based on if you want to be forgiven then you have to forgive when you are on top. You have to turn the page. Which means not look back ever. To my lord everything is duely recorded. And He will bring justice.

Sorry T_T that is how I feel.
Old October 15, 2009, 03:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I am proud to be a Bangladeshi. Many of my uncles and aunts (yes, they were in the trenches with guns) has fought for a better life and didn't care of their own.

In my humble opinion, this is in many ways so wrong. My belief system is based on if you want to be forgiven then you have to forgive when you are on top. You have to turn the page. Which means not look back ever. To my lord everything is duely recorded. And He will bring justice.

Sorry T_T that is how I feel.
Thank you for your opinion, but the fact is, it is not our duty to punish, but find ways of seeking justice for the lives lost. And by saying "seeking justice" I by no way mean putting the perpetrators in jail or hanging them (even though personally I so wish it, but professionally I can't as a part of the group)!

In fact the reason why this group was formed and this conference is brought forth is not to really pick on the wound that has now strengthened us so much, but to open up the long-forgotten and not talked about matters of atrocities committed against us. It is easy for most to say we should move on, but the victims who were directly affected, for them it will never be the same again. Justice is justice.

And there is no big a justice for humankind than to make sure other such events never take place! And THAT is the absolute reason for this conference and course establishment.

And by the way...just to make one thing clear, BGS does NOT take any political side and is vehemently against politicizing the set goal. This is a solely academic project meant for the betterment of mankind, whilst bringing forth to the world the history and story of a country never talked about in the light of freedom.

By the way, T_E, if you live nearby, please come to the conference. Any and EVERY opinion will be respected and there will be III panel discussions and audience can participate in them !
Old October 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_Tiger

And there is no big a justice for humankind than to make sure other such events never take place! And THAT is the absolute reason for this conference and course establishment.
More like an awareness on what a genocide can cause. I am cool with that. But pointing fingers would be wrong. Hope the organizers/speakers intention and delivery is a good one. Pray this does not breed hatred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger_Tiger
By the way, T_E, if you live nearby, please come to the conference. Any and EVERY opinion will be respected and there will be III panel discussions and audience can participate in them !
Can't! Tri-state is a little out of range plus ... Thanks any way!
Old October 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

Good thread and good conference my dearest beloved Trigger_Tiger bro!!! Very important!

Inshallah, me and my wife will try to attend from New York!! BTW Trigger bhaiya, do you go to Kean?
Old October 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Test Cricketer

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
More like an awareness on what a genocide can cause. I am cool with that. But pointing fingers would be wrong. Hope the organizers/speakers intention and delivery is a good one. Pray this does not breed hatred.

Can't! Tri-state is a little out of range plus ... Thanks any way!
Spot On !

Hate breeding is no way our target and we have taken necessary steps for that. We had another conference previous to this in 2007. We had a good response from the general community !

In fact a few of my Pakistani friends are coming to this event. Its not as much the Pak-Bahini that angers me, its the collaborators. But hate begets hate. And if we get carried away by the emotion of hate here, then we are no different the guilty. Wish you could come though. I will post a link to the online live telecast of the program.

I admire your stability by the way.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I disagree. You have to point fingers. If you don't, they will go quietly about re-writing history, and then will come denial.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I disagree. You have to point fingers. If you don't, they will go quietly about re-writing history, and then will come denial.
Definitely at the perpetrators and those involved and guilty and 1971. But when it comes to academics, to point a finger, the facts have to be brought to the table through extensive research which is the case here.

The biggest problem with the 39 years of delay for justice has been our failure to gather the information in massive numbers and shared it with the International Human Rights institutions which can push for justice. Strength in numbers as we all know. Sadly, getting into this we learned that it is not that people do not have the information that can bring justice, but that MOST of them don't want to share it out of fear for their life. Which is exactly where organizations like the Liberation War Museum and researchers such as M. A. Hasan step in.

It's wonderful though, this research and fact gathering thing. Take for instance the mass graveyard issue. Now after so many years, so many have been dug up, recorded and the numbers of people murdered are sounding more like a fact than the mythical "3 koti manush" number. Until everything is established, we have to deal with what we believe in. And I believe, it doesn't matter if a thousand people died or 3 million, at the end of the day, it was a crime against humanity, it was GENOCIDE and it was our Bangladeshi, mothers, sisters, brothers and fathers! And no one can take away from us our pride and life and ever expect to just walk away!

The tough thing is to keep a calm when talking of such touchy issues, exactly where the composure of the human rights activists and scholars of this step in so handsomely.

JOY BANGLA!
Old October 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

All the best to you T_T.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Its a great initiative to organise such a conference T_T.
Wish i could have been there.

Do you guys have any plan to organise one such in Bangladesh?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 16, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Best of luck T_T.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Update!!!!!

This is it! Just hours to go before the historic conference starts. I have been working to my bone with all my colleagues for this and it is so big, SO BIG that it i overwhelming for us, both the stress and the mammoth conference this has become!

I request all of you interested to please check out the website which has been heavily updated just a while back. We put in the scripts of all the panelists, which they will use for discussion tomorrow. Also a small book containing 18 eyewitness accounts of survivors (we have more and will be updating the list later).

Last but not the least and the BEST of ALL is that we will be streaming it LIVE on the INTERNET! PLEASE VISITI THIS LINK: mms://131.125.1.236/kucast And you will all be able to follow the conference come 10:00 AM EST or for people living in Bangladesh, 9:00 PM!

We hope everything will be smooth and are eager for every well wishers support.

InshAllah, everything will go smooth.

After the conference, we will soon shoot out a DVD of the conference which we will make available on our website for purchase (proceeds will go towards funding for the next conference in 2011). Or simply by contacting me (the delivery and response will be prompt)!

Please pray, you all.

Thank you all so much for the wonderful support!
Old October 18, 2009, 05:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Best of luck today; I am sure it will go smoothly
Old October 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chow = Chow Mo

My dearest Wafi,

I am so sorry that I missed the conference! I was emergency out of town past 2 days! How did it go? I am sure it went excellent and it was very succesful! Please let us know soem highlights about the panels pointed out! Thank you dear Wafi, I am very proud of you!