facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim
Default Is Shakib arrogant? Hell yeah he is!!!

So I am rewatching today's match on ESPN 360 since I missed it due to school and I noticed one of the Zimbabwean commentators commenting on Shakib being arrogant for taking the Batting powerplay when the match was already won. I for one am glad he is acting a bit arrogant. It's about time we had a loud spoken, confident, cocky, and yes maybe even an arrogant captain! I'm tired of us having the nice, soft spoken, and timid Captains like we've had in the past (Ash). I want Shakib to be one of the guys that BD fans love and other nations hate, kinda like Ponting. Cricket is a very mental game and when your Captain has so much confidence in the team, that can only mean success. I mean after we lost the 1st ODI, Shak came out and said that we can still win 4-1. That's confidence mates! And for those of you who think all of this winning is getting in Shakib's head, just shut up!!! You can only beat the teams you play and we have done that under Shak daddy. So let the guy talk!!!
Old October 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim 'The Beast' Iqbal

Hey, Ash once took the Bat PP when the game was won... NZ, 2008
Old October 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Remember Ganguly? He brought the bad boy attitude to the Indian team and made the Aussies and the rest take notice.

I like Shakib's confidence and aggressiveness. We lost with 15 overs to spare defending 186 and he threw it right back with 20 overs to spare chasing 220. As someone put it nicely in another post, its not just a message to ZIM but to the rest of his team mates.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Shakib doesn't need to talk too much. His actions (cricketing skills) can do all of the talking for him.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

Who cares if he is arrogant

every successful cricketer needs a bit of arrogance
Old October 29, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzfan

which is why I started this thread.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpro96
Shakib doesn't need to talk too much. His actions (cricketing skills) can do all of the talking for him.
Agree wholeheartedly!
Old October 29, 2009, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

The goal should be to humiliate the other team by bringing them down on their knees in submission. Your opponent is your worst enemy of the day and should be treated as such. Take no prisoners.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
The goal should be to humiliate the other team by bringing them down on their knees in submission. Your opponent is your worst enemy of the day and should be treated as such. Take no prisoners.
exactly.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Women DO find cockiness sexy. But as the Zen story shows what often distinguishes a Sage from an Expert may be hubris itself:

Quote:
After winning several archery contests, the young and rather boastful champion challenged a Zen master who was renowned for his skill as an archer. The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then split that arrow with his second shot. "There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!" Undisturbed, the master did not draw his bow, but rather motioned for the young archer to follow him up the mountain. Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log. Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and certainly perilous bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his bow, and fired a clean, direct hit. "Now it is your turn," he said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground. Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target. "You have much skill with your bow," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."
http://www-usr.rider.edu/~suler/zens...ncentrate.html
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

'I noticed one of the Zimbabwean commentators commenting on Shakib being arrogant for taking the Batting powerplay when the match was already won'.

Sakib is not arrogant, those commentators are arrogant. But who cares as long as The Ice Man performs spledidly and we keep on winning.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzfan

fully agree.

however, there is a good arrogance and a bad arrogance. if bad arrogance is not backed up by ability and production one ends up looking stupid. take ponting and sreesanth as prime examples. ponting, people hate but respect as a great cricketer cuz he backs up his arrogance - however, its still the "bad" arrogance of challenging umpires and attempting to undermine cricket's code of honor. sreesanth fell off the map and hence his arrogance ended up looking childish and immature.

so far, i like what i see in shakib, any arrogance he has is just confidence that those extremely elite sportsman have. for one thing, shakib sounds very mild when he speaks. he doesn't have a arrogant ponting-esque tone. while rahul dravid was known as a meek leader, imo, he sounded cocky as hell. he always sounded like he a had a long handle up his you-know-what.

shakib i like most readily to Muhammad Ali, whose arrogance was anything but serious. the comparison is far from perfect, but you should get the point.

everyone remembers the bad boys in sport, the charles barkleys, the TOs, but very few people can dominate professional sports with the grace of humility. the only one i can think of is Hakeem the Dream. Shakib ain't at that level, but, imo, he's far from arrogant.

Quote:
originally stated by the Boss, Shakib al Hasan
we can still win 4-1...we're the better team
Old October 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i think the zim commies just might not get the game...weren't they commentating as if zimbabwe was going to post 350+ when they were 60-6 in 15 overs, and acting like zim was gonna cruise to the victory when the required rate was over 12 with just 2 wickets in hand?
Old October 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Arrogant, NO
Bloody annoyingly rude to opponents, the will and ability to crush the opponents YES
I have never seen any bangladeshi player with such mentality, the first time i noticed his arrogance was during the 2nd test in WIN, when he hit a six to win and showed what he is made of.
in 2nd ODI, when price was trying to get under his skin, he showed why price shouldv left his arrogance in ZIM. God bless Shakib. We need people will killer instincts, we need more Shakibs
Old October 30, 2009, 12:02 AM
Test Cricketer

hmmm tiger attitude! i like it.

no mercy ZIM boys!
Old October 30, 2009, 12:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Sakib arrogant and we support it. no mercy for opponent. no compromise in international cricket :|
Old October 30, 2009, 12:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

So he should be arrogant. He can be BD's Ganguly xD
Old October 30, 2009, 12:32 AM
Test Cricketer

As long as he can back it up with runs and wickets I don't care.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Not Bad...........
Old October 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Nobody except Alistair Campbell mentioned it. This "let me tell you" guy should not be accounted.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TI/Dwayne Bravo/Afridi

He's very polite and well mannerd/well spoken...but there is definitly shades of arrogance in his attitude and body language. and you know what I LOVE IT!....finally we have a captain whos got some balls!

Mrs Mahmudullah Riyad
Old October 30, 2009, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Remember Ganguly? He brought the bad boy attitude to the Indian team and made the Aussies and the rest take notice.
don't forget graeme smith..lol
Old November 1, 2009, 02:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

love it...just don't overdo it. And do it only when it comes naturally...no need to hide your arrogance/confidence...but no need to act it out just for the sake of it either.

I read on cricinfo that he made his dissatisfaction about ash/TI/Rakib thrwoing away their wickets public. as long as he's doing it as an occasional motivational tool..it's fine. but don't make a habit of criticizing teammates publicly all the time...keep it in the dressing room.
Old November 1, 2009, 02:47 AM
Street Cricketer

I can't really see any other nations hating Shakib as a player. Most cricket fans are always delighted to see when Bangladesh have produced a good quality cricketer.. of which is why many other cricket fans around the world are supportive of him.

But it's good to see he is showing a bit of arrogance which is what every succesful cricketer needs.
Old November 1, 2009, 04:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Sorry, I cannot agree.

Against Jardine, I would have retaliatated - Wall was fast enough, there was that Aboriginal kid from Queensland who scared Bradman and I'm sure we could have found a third man who was faster than medium pace. In refusing to do so, saying "there are two teams out there, one is making an effort to play the game of cricket, and the other is not" Woodfull manned up, and was a better man than I am.

Ian Whitchurch

PS Yeah, Sakib is arrogant. And he backs it with his actions.