facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 6, 2004, 05:30 AM
Forever Bangy

Default Good-bye Steve!

A lot of people think of Steve Waugh as a ruthless competitor, enforcing those 'it's just not cricket' tactics of sledging, staying at the crease when clearly out, getting rid of nightwatchmen and what have you. But what they don't see is the guy that in the end just played for Australia and for cricket. He's not cruel, he's not unfair and he's not bitter. He's always given it everything he has with his best intensions and intensity and that's the true spirit of sport . I think it's hypocritical to say he's playing cricket the wrong way when he's the perfect example of what a captain should be, when the rest of the world chooses someone who seems to be the most experienced and don't think it'll effect their playing too much. Ponting might have all the one day glory now but it was just the result of a perfect set up made by Waugh and I think all the players have learnt something from him. Sure he's made mistakes, though i don't think as many as Ganguly made in the 4th test. He admits it and moves on. The entire country loves him not because he's got the best stats of any Australian captain but because he does all these great things for the team yet in the end all he is is one of them. And for me, I'm definitely not an Australia fan but I can (could) go for Steve Waugh as easily as i could for Habibul Bashar and James i'm sorry, but Ponting won't go anywhere near that honour and class that Waugh possesses, and you guys can ask any indian, pakistani, sri lankan, south african who lives here and they'll tell you just the same.

farewell and good luck Tugga, you champion!

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by mona]
Old January 6, 2004, 05:43 AM
Retired BC Admin

Very well put, mona.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:01 AM
Cricket Legend

How old are you again, Mona?
Old January 6, 2004, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
James i'm sorry, but Ponting won't go anywhere near that honour and class that Waugh possesses, and you guys can ask any indian, pakistani, sri lankan, south african who lives here and they'll tell you just the same.
But not Bangladeshi! I reckon Ponting can be better than Waugh. He is still young and is already the first batsman to score 1500+ in a calander year. He has also proved himself a worthy captain in the ODI's.
Old January 6, 2004, 04:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

I think Sir Vivian scored 1700+ run in a calender year.
Old January 6, 2004, 08:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mona
But what they don't see is the guy that in the end just played for Australia and for cricket. He's not cruel, he's not unfair and he's not bitter. He's always given it everything he has with his best intensions and intensity and that's the true spirit of sport . I think it's hypocritical to say he's playing cricket the wrong way when he's the perfect example of what a captain should be

farewell and good luck Tugga, you champion!
Couldn't have said it better myself mons Now go back to your studies!!!:P
Old January 6, 2004, 09:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
I'm definitely not an Australia fan
why not? you should be...
Old January 6, 2004, 10:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
He didn't. On Channel 9 they were showing the list of the most runs scored in a year by a player and Ponting was the only player with 1500+ runs.
Old January 6, 2004, 10:47 PM
Forever Bangy

i'm too dumb to use use the quote thing but Orphy said - 'why not? you should be...'

i could go on forever about this but i'll (try to) keep it short. if Americans had their own team i think you would understand.
i think i speak for most of the curries here when i say that we want to go for australia because we feel since we live here and it's such a nice country that we really should. so there's the guilt. but then there's the feeling of not completely belonging and all that crap which makes you start going for all the countries who have the same skin colour as you, and then sometimes that turns into every other team. i think the arrogance of the aussies also heavily comes into it..i mean if the entire team was made of steve waughs then it would be heaps easier. but that's not the end of it. you also become a hypocrite because when you go to bangladesh or somewhere and all your cousins are abusing australia, you're like 'shut up about my country'. and you start supporting them for a while. so yeah it's a bit crazy...talk about ABCDs..
Old January 6, 2004, 11:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasib
Quote:
He didn't. On Channel 9 they were showing the list of the most runs scored in a year by a player and Ponting was the only player with 1500+ runs.
Yes he did. Don't always believe in your precious little Aussie channel.

http://www-usa.cricket.org/db/STATS/...NDAR_YEAR.html

[code]
Year M I NO Runs HS Av 100s
IVA Richards (WI) 1976 11 19 0 1710 291 90.00 7
[/quote]

Now bow before the almighty Richards.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 7, 2004, 04:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Yes mona - you do have some Australian-Desi confusion issues there...

I thought it would be easier than that. I really don't see why you would support every country that has your skin color or that follows your religion or whatever.

You are Bangladeshi and Australian. That's it. I think it's much easier to pick which team to support when Australia plays India, Pakistan, Srilanaka or West Indies....

Surely, you don't feel the "complete belonging" that you are talking about when it comes to the above countries just because of the skin color.. do you?

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by Orpheus]
Old January 7, 2004, 10:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasib
Quote:
Almost all the stats channel 9 show are just the "Australian Records" as to one William Morris Lawry none on the other countries matter. Ponting was probably on the top of the list because it was the most runs in a calender year by an Australian
Old January 7, 2004, 01:28 PM
Street Cricketer

Well I was there on the last day...it was weird....every single aussie there was standing up and so was I....couldnt help it.... a true champ..

on a different note....funny how no one noticed when mark waugh left....
Old January 8, 2004, 02:19 AM
Cricket Legend

The fact is Ponting is still young... how old was Viv?
Old January 8, 2004, 09:10 AM
Forever Bangy

yeah Orphy I see what you mean and even would say you were right if it were just me who feels this way. but seriously it's the same with practically everyone here. the fact remains that, when you go to the cricket, everyone else seems to think you're indian or sri lankan or pakistani and you feel like a try hard going for australia. it's hard to explain....i mean when i sit down to watch a match i don't think 'well i don't feel like i'm a true australian, i think i'll go for west indies today'..it's just automatic.

lol no i don't feel i completely belong with indians or pakistanis or sri lankans. i don't really belong anywhere (sorry that sounds so whiny). but when you go to bangladesh, they think you australian cuz you have western clothes,that accent, an actual house, clean streets, etc. and in australia they think your bangladeshi because you're not allowed out every weekend, you can't have a boyfriend and you don't wear like singlet tops or whatever. at this rate i should be malaysian cuz i'm half-way between the two! so i think i'll blame it on that, the environment that you're in affects the team you support. lol sounds like an essay. but also the fact that the world is divided into black and white whether we like it or not. but you know what i mean now, kind of? and sorry for going 'i' the whole time, i know thousands feel the same.
Old January 12, 2004, 08:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mona
which makes you start going for all the countries who have the same skin colour as you
hmm.. that's pretty racist you know.