facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 8, 2004, 09:32 AM
Forever Bangy

Default Your favourite band?

haha i know i've done this before with books but let's face it when it comes to telling people things about yourself, who can resist.
alright here are the Questions
1. Favourite Artist?
2. Favourite Album?
3. Favourite Song?
4. i) 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th favourite Artist? or alternatively, ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart.

if you guys can't or won't answer these i'll be very disappointed. ok here's me-

1. Weezer
2. Pinkerton
3. Say It Ain't So (Weezer)
4. and that's number ii) for me The Strokes, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure (sorry fab), Travis

nb: fab had a lot to do with that and i convey my utmost gratitude.
Old January 8, 2004, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

1.Who ever does the voices for 12th man
2.The 12th man, The Final Dig?
3.Story of a Girl (Nine Days i think)
4ii) I don't think i know any songs off by heart

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Habibul_fan]
Old January 8, 2004, 10:59 AM
Street Cricketer

1. Blink 182.
2. Eve - 6 - eve6
3. Think Twice - Eve 6.
4. Eve 6, GreenDay, GnR & Johnny Rzeznick
Old January 8, 2004, 11:13 AM
Cricket Legend

either you are speaking Aussie or I am really dated, probably the latter. The only bands I recognize from the above two posts is the Smashing Pumpkins because they grew up around here, and of course the Cure, one of my favorite bands (Boys Dont' Cry stays Close to Me in the car). Favorite bands? too many to list here, maybe later. SHould stop procrastinating and get back to work
Old January 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

1. Favourite Artist: Lucky Ali

2. Favourite Album(s): Everything You Want (vertical Horizon), All lucky ali albums, So long Astoria (The ataris)

3. Favourite Song(s): Poth Chola (Artcell), Anjani rahon Mein (Lucky Ali), November Rain (GnR) and some more... dont remember right now...

4. ii) the Artists whose most songs you know off by heart: Matchbox 20, The Ataris, Third Eye Blind, vertical Horizon, Artcell, Black, Linkin Park, The Calling, Kishore Kumar, Euphoria, Lifehouse... and the list continues...
Old January 8, 2004, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Leonard Cohen.....my all time favorite!
Old January 8, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cricket Legend

My favorite band is, currently, Tool. I am a big heavy metal fan in general. It was a school thing. My school was probably the only school in BD with a devoted heavy metal fan base. I specifically like a sub genre of Metal called "Progressive Metal", where the songs are usually very long, epic and played by virtuoso musicians, lots of soloing, rhythmic complexity and time signature changes. Basically, high class complex metal music created by and for brainy people.

I like instrumentals of any kind. Guitarists, Celloists, Violinists, Tabla Players, Banjo players, Irish, Chinese, you name it, I probably like it.

My favorite classical composers are Rachmaninoff, Chopin and Liszt.

Among Jazz artists, I like the usual favorites: Miles Davies and John Coltrane.

I like the Beatles (especially Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club band).

Among the alternative rock and nu-punk bands that are popular among teenies nowadays: I like third eye blind, eve6, offspring, and there are way too many to mention.

I also almost always like some of the songs that are on the contemporary pop charts, if they are catchy, hooky and matches my taste. For example, I like Christina Aguilera songs that I generally hear on Radio. Alanis Morisette, The Corrs, Barenaked Ladies, Shania Twain, Tom Petty, Del Amitri, there are too many artists that have done some of my all-time favorite songs.

Among Indian pop music that I heard over the years, I think I liked some Lucky Ali songs too. I also remember liking songs by Euphoria, Junoon and recently, Strings.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 11, 2004, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Right now am listening to some of Norah Jones stuff (yeh just to check out if she got something from her dad Ravi.

Hmm shes not bad but here are still my faves. In chronological order since i started listening:

The Eagles
The Doors
Bob Marley
Roy Orbison
Shostakovich- The score to The Gadfly.

Waiting in vain- Marley
lively up yourself-ditto
Hotel California-eagles
Light my fire-doors
ooby dooby-orbison
Old January 11, 2004, 08:53 AM
Test Cricketer

1. Favourite Artist? - Radiohead

2. Favourite Album? - A toss between Hail to the Theif and The Cure's Disintegration

3. Favourite Song? - I dunno, it changes all the time.. but i always like fake plastic trees and talk show host

4. Well The Cure obviously, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, Placebo, Portishead, Blur, the Prodigy's early stuff, Leftfield

I really like movie sound tracks, probably fave movie soundtracks would be trainspotting and romeo & juliet

I feel physically ill whenever I hear the formulaic chart topping Pop songs and wannabe alts (like Limp bizkit etc).. only Pop band I like is Coldplay.
Old January 11, 2004, 08:54 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
You don't like normal music?
Old January 12, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Hail to the Thief is a pretty solid album. Better than the stuff on Amnesiac or Kid A. I like almost all the songs on HttT, except tracks 6 through 8 (The gloaming, etc.) My last GF was a Radiohead/Portishead/Tool fanatic.
Old January 12, 2004, 09:08 PM
Test Cricketer

The thing with Radiohead is that they don't pander to the desires of their fans. That's why they're not scared to try out new things. So The Bends, OK Computer, is pretty different to Amnesiac. I like a few tracks from Amnesiac though. Unfortunately I havent listened to Kid A as I can't get hold of it in any music stores would you believe! I must have been on another planet when it was released.
HTTT is again very different to the other stuff they released. The first time I listened to it I thought "what a load of crap", but then after the second time I totally fell in love with it. The thing with Radiohead is that you have to give them time and LISTEN to what they are saying. They are not something you can listen to mindlessly like Pop songs
Old January 12, 2004, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah, Radiohead creates some great sonic imagery through their songs. The ending of "Sit Down, Stand up" comes to mind. There's no point in uttering "the raindrops" in a monotone 42 times, accompanied by arcade video-game space gun shooting sounds nonetheless. Then you suddenly realize he's probably trying to create a vicarious feeling of raindrops hittng him while he's standing outside, as if the rain is trying to wash away the squalid feeling of a person trapped in an authoritarian 1984-ish nightmare scenario.

Neat stuff.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 13, 2004, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
You don't like normal music?
No I like normal music it's just that CD is damn funny!
Old January 13, 2004, 09:27 PM
Forever Bangy

yeah James, i got the commentary box from kfc and the 12th man greatest hits....they are too funny, have you heard 'breakfast with the benauds' ? ahahah and the name pronounciation one?
Old January 14, 2004, 05:48 AM
Cricket Legend

I should have got the greatest hits from KFC but didn't really feel like the burger....anyway no I haven't heard that the one i've got is just based on one theme and that's finding a new commentary team captain for Richie when he retires. I don't wanna give away too much but in an amazing turn of events it all ends up for the best
Old January 14, 2004, 08:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Here\'s me

...with my list of bands that no-one's mentioned. Does nobody listen to bangla music anymore?

1. Cryptic Fate
2. Watson Brothers
3. Black
4. Artcell
5. Nogor Baul
6. LRB (their early work)
7. Aurthohin
Old January 14, 2004, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Woot!! Shubho a Bangla metal fan? What are the odds for that?

Cryptic Fate? I saw them live two times back in BD. Probably the best metal band in BD. But do they have any bangla album out?

Black? My friend Asif used to be their lead guitarist, when they started out. Dunno if he still plays for them. I saw one of their earlier shows back in 2001. They were working on an album.

Artcell: My bro wanted me to check them out. Apprently a cool new Bangla metal band, according to him.

Aurthohin: I downloaded as many mp3s as I could from their website. Some great players in the band. The lead guitarists play some cool licks from time to time. And Sumon's bass is also pretty good, although his style is kinda copy paste from western bassists. Overall, a good band, technically better than 90% of the garbage out here in the US.

I don't really care about Nogor Baul or LRB. They are the quentessential putuputu emotional bands that cater to the tastes of general bangali middle class youth. Not my cup of tea.

[Edited on 14-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 14, 2004, 01:10 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

My 2 cents on the bangla Metal Circuit:

The first Cryptic Fate song I heard was ''Amar shathe Ai''... it was the first band song that I had heard that had the ''tui tui'' thing in it... and i was like wow... I asked my gf to hear the song (she found me weird to be fascinated by the tui tui style)... :duh: been listening to cryptic fate ever since...

Artcell... Arnab this is for u... go here: Source And dnld Poth Chola... I am in love with this song... If you are not really hellbent against piracy i am willing to share artcell songs so that u can check 'em out... You will love them... Brilliance all the waaaaay!

Black is pure awesome... I have both theirs albums... was freaking hard to get the second one sitting here in germany... The first album has 60-70% songs worth every bit of praise that can be given.... The second one has some beautiful tracks... They are trying out new stuff... They even have a linkin Park style track... in some mixed album... I think its called opolap (u can get the track here: Source) and I also strongly recommend dnlding the track called ''shlok'' available from that link...

LRB had some awesome song before... Ayub ''Chachchu'' aint the same thing anymore... Tracks like ''Rupali guitar'', ''cholo bodle jai'' and ''ekhon onek raat'' will always be there in my top 100 list...

James (i think alternatively Nogor Baul)... I personally dont like him... but he has 2-3 songs that is worth listening to... but otherwise he is a load of crap...

Aurthohin.... Is Brilliant... Sumon sings awesome... their guitar work is fabulous to say the least... and the lyrics... A+

ummm thats all from me now... ciao
Old January 14, 2004, 07:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Shubho DEFINITELY comes across as a metalhead to me

There are just two things in the world that I absolutely cannot understand - Country Music & Heavy Metal..

weird stuff.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by fab : *sigh* Some people are SO immature]
Old January 15, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Shubho DEFINATELY comes across as a metalhead to me

There are just two things in the world that I absolutely cannot understand - Country Music & Heavy Metal..

weird stuff.
Yes, as far as metal is concerned, it is your loss, definAtely. Country music generally sucks though.

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 15, 2004, 01:48 AM
Forever Bangy

Arnab can you ever let anything go? You DEFINITELY need to loosen up. Also I don't think your fellow tools...sorry, Tool fans, would appreciate you liking Shania Twain at the same time.
Old January 15, 2004, 02:00 AM
Cricket Legend

I know. How can I like pop, heavy metal, death metal, rock, jazz, classical symphonies, piano sonatas & concertos, punk, Rabindra Shongit, tabla, sitar, santoor, guitar and bass instrumentals, keyboard solos, banjo, saxophone, irish flute, african tribal music, oriental music, gazhal, arabian music, egyptian music, samba, dance, hiphop, rap, bluegrass, alternative rock, chill-out music, spacey atmospheric music, 70s art rock, Floyd's psychadelic rock, 80s hair rock, grunge, jazz, what have you --- all at the same time?

But I do!

Open your mind, Mona. Do it while you're still young.

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by Arnab]
Old January 15, 2004, 02:08 AM
Forever Bangy

it's ok, i'll live
Old January 15, 2004, 02:10 AM
Forever Bangy

don't you care about lyrics though?