facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 4, 2010, 08:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Default What happened to the bowling strategy

Two rookie pacers bowling against inform SL openers. What do you expect?

I thought they were going to open with a spinner(Razzak). What happened to that Siddons? Spin is our strength, we have lot of full/part time spinners. Holding them back till the middle overs make no sense. Sakib only brought himself on when they spanked the hell out of Safiul. Why couldnt they start with him or Razzak?

Old January 4, 2010, 11:12 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

because nobody in their right mind starts of with pacers. we are not playing against Zimb or a third rate WI team
Old January 4, 2010, 11:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fais
because nobody in their right mind starts of with pacers. we are not playing against Zimb or a third rate WI team
errr....u meant spinners right?
Old January 4, 2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Why did they even have to start with Shafiul? What's he even doing in the squad? We have a senior in Syed Rasel warming the bench - for what? When your main strike bowlers are injured, you pick Syed Rasel - not a bunch of twenty year old pie throwers! Sure, Shafi has a nice high arm action, sure he can bowl at 135 kph, but who can't? I'm sorry, debutant or not, when you're playing international cricket you don't bowl at people's pads - definitely not if those people are subcontinent batsmen who will effortlessly pick you up and turn you down to fine leg.

And what the heck is wrong with Rubel? He's had enough time to give us three decent overs in one go and here he is, leaking boundaries, straying down the leg side and pitching it up at half volley length. My issue isn't with the fact that these two need time to learn; what I can't fathom is why they can't even get the basics right. Sure, a new guy might go for six an over, but not freaking ten an over like these guys were early on. Their figures only look "close" to respectable because the Sri Lankans had no reason to go after them later on.

Not sure what Champaka's doing, but the current bunch of reserve pacers that we have are really not a hell lot better than those in the Shanto/Saiful/Anis era.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
errr....u meant spinners right?
lol sorry yes - spinners
Old January 4, 2010, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

What Champaka is doing? he already made Shahadat a street cricketer and now going to make all bd pacers.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

I think we need to invest in a quality bowling coach as soon as possible. We lack strenght in depth.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Ya todays bowling was totally disappointing.I did not like the idea of playing both Rubel and Shafiul in one match.Both of them are very inexperienced.Rather we should have played with Russel and any one of them.Dew factor was a major factor for our 4 spinners it cost a lot for us.On the other hand we also need to remember that its very tough to fight against subcontinental teams with spin.Anyway i want to see Russel in the next match.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

If one of the pacers starts getting spanked, who's going to walk up to and talk to him? Shakib? He doesn't know what's going on in the mind of a fast bowler when he's down. Playing two twenty year old pacers with no one to guide them out there is a bad, bad idea and I can't fathom the depth of the idiocy that one has to achieve to make such a decision. Personally, I was totally against debuting Shafiul, but thought it might be worth giving the management the benefit of doubt as they've seen him up close and weren't holding back their praise. Looks like the management is made up of a bunch of dumb****s.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Rubel has to add some variations in his bowling... his pace will not bother much in international level. Shafi's bowling action is not what we commonly see, specially he lands awkwardly. But he should get another chance in the series, probably today was a bad day fro him.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Apart from dew factor our two pacers were the one of chief reasons behind lost. Putting Shafiul on such hot seat was not a good idea.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
If one of the pacers starts getting spanked, who's going to walk up to and talk to him? Shakib? He doesn't know what's going on in the mind of a fast bowler when he's down. Playing two twenty year old pacers with no one to guide them out there is a bad, bad idea and I can't fathom the depth of the idiocy that one has to achieve to make such a decision. Personally, I was totally against debuting Shafiul, but thought it might be worth giving the management the benefit of doubt as they've seen him up close and weren't holding back their praise. Looks like the management is made up of a bunch of dumb****s.
In 200% agrement. The whole media is so focused on Shahrier vs. Imrul vs. Aftab. Rakibul. Heck, the most blatant fault of the management team was to have rookie 2 pacers with no experience whatsoeverto lead the attack. Why are they thinking they can 'invent' cricket? Rasel or Shahadat absolutely needed to be there because of their experience in international cricket. Even with Shahadat's poor form, he wouldve been better than 2 completely un-tested pacers against a quality Sri Lankan team...

I think I have finally come to terms that our management team is a total bl$*& ( expletive) when it comes to realizing what works in international cricket. They are more into 'senstationalize' or 'climactify' the game than thinking of the right combination of players.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:00 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
In 200% agrement. The whole media is so focused on Shahrier vs. Imrul vs. Aftab. Rakibul. Heck, the most blatant fault of the management team was to have rookie 2 pacers with no experience whatsoeverto lead the attack. Why are they thinking they can 'invent' cricket? Rasel or Shahadat absolutely needed to be there because of their experience in international cricket. Even with Shahadat's poor form, he wouldve been better than 2 completely un-tested pacers against a quality Sri Lankan team...

I think I have finally come to terms that our management team is a total bl$*& ( expletive) when it comes to realizing what works in international cricket. They are more into 'senstationalize' or 'climactify' the game than thinking of the right combination of players.
I disagree with regarding Shahadat. I reckon he wouldve gone for more runs. At least the pacers got a wicket each. Shahadat wouldve gone for 10 an over.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash Lara Fizz Taskin TI

As an afterthought, why dont bcb try to bring waqar or wasim as our bowling coach? If they are not available, try to get srinath or vaas. I mean sm1 who has extensive experience how to ball effectively in typical subcontinent conditions...

Old January 4, 2010, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezwansyed
As an afterthought, why dont bcb try to bring waqar or wasim as our bowling coach? If they are not available, try to get srinath or vaas. I mean sm1 who has extensive experience how to ball effectively in typical subcontinent conditions...

Champaka is one with that sort of experience plus the coaching degree. Bowlers bowling at leg stump (with off field settings) is not the coach's fault.
Old January 4, 2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

i think next match line up will be rasel and shahadat--mark my word.

najmul and mashrafe could have been perfect this series. we have great batting line up. naeem and mahmudullah strenghthens our fragile line up.
Old January 4, 2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

bring waqar younis or aaqib javed as a bowling coach. no body knows better bowling than pakistan. see what waqar has done to asif and almost gone mohammad sami.

champaka was not even a great bowler himself.
Old January 4, 2010, 04:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Waqar and Wasim are both engaged and so is Aaqib Javed. It is true that Pakistan probably has the most prolific supply of pace bowlers in the sub-continent. How that works,, only they know the best. Other than the Pak trio, I think a pace coach from Australia or South Africa would've been a great idea..Irrespective, sitting down Shahadat will not bring back his skills. That only ensures that he gets de-motivated further and further to bring back his form..

Going back to the original discussion, debuting Shafiul against Sri Lanka, New Zealand or India is a terrible mistake. He should've been brought in against Kenya, Ireland or Zimbabwe where other's can recover for him. A match against the top team implies that you get very few chances and if you dont take advantage of those opportunities,, you will rue them dearly. The though process of experimenting with kids has to stop if we are to be a professional side of world cricket.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Nothing is seriously wrong with our bowling strategy.

Its just that in a batting friendly pitch and against team like SRI and IND ( who can score 400+ runs against each other), 260 runs will not gove us too many wins.

Actually I was kind of surprised the way still our bowlers took the game upt0 45th over. I thought the game would be over by 30th over.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Okay someone please fill me in this...

HOW BAD WAS THE BOWLING?!!!!!!

I slept most part of the 2nd innings and at one point woke up only to hear Sunny utter the phrase: "Rubbish bowling..." Was it really that bad? I didn't see shafiul bowl. And I lost hopes in Rubel long time ago. But can any one tell fill me in the details please? And what's this slow bouncer crap i hear about?
Old January 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
Cricket Guru

No bowling strategy will work if pacers can't take top 3 wickets (or at least two out of top three) early and then expose the middle order to spinners. In past Mash or a superb in form Rasel did the job for us (in matches we won). Team management knew Rasel and Rajib, in their current forms, are not up to the task and thus gambled on Rubel-Shafi. IMO, they should not give up on that gamble yet.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
Forever Bangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Okay someone please fill me in this...

HOW BAD WAS THE BOWLING?!!!!!!

I slept most part of the 2nd innings and at one point woke up only to hear Sunny utter the phrase: "Rubbish bowling..." Was it really that bad? I didn't see shafiul bowl. And I lost hopes in Rubel long time ago. But can any one tell fill me in the details please? And what's this slow bouncer crap i hear about?
Oh God, it was terrible! I'm scarred for life. One of his bouncer's was so slow that Dilshan had time to complete an attempted pull shot and turn back around before the ball hit him on the helmet. I dunno maybe it's some new strategy to try and get a batsman out hit wicket. The very next ball would typically be a half volley wide outside off. And then the next one would be on the pads at around the same height, on leg only for it to be easily guided to the boundary. In this way they were able to get 3 fours an over. Sangakarra was so bored.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Thanks mona apu! ^^
Old January 4, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Mona, slow bouncer is something pacers do use nowadays to suprise the batsmen often
Old January 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I'm scarred for life.
I like the way you put it. I'm not quite there yet, but yeah both of the pacers were erratic to say the least. No concept of line or length whatsoever. Just run in and throw as fast as you can, which by the way isn't so fast in international standards.