facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 4, 2010, 12:21 PM
Club Cricketer

Default We lost today against SL.... Wasn't it due to dew factor effect?

I think, the main reason were dew factor and opening spell from fast bowlers.....what do you think?............please find details about dew factor below...

Before knowing the DEW FACTOR lets understand the concept of moisture and condensation.

Moist

Slightly wet, damp ;

Moisture

It is a condensed vapor or gas diffused in the soil (pitch) itself or condensed on a surfaces (pitch) or condensed in the atmosphere.

Condense

To change a vapor or gas in to liquid or solid ; to make more dense or compact ; to make more solid ;

DEW

Drops of condensed moisture forming on cool surfaces especially at nights or in atmosphere or in the soil (pitch) itself ; the falling of DEW.

From above you might got the sense of DEW.

In winter seasons at nights especially in subcontinent you can see a drops of water forming on a open surface grass, which is nothing but the condensed moisture or DEW.

DEW is not only a just moisture but it is more denser, condensed in the form of small drops.

Now you can define it as a small drops of water forming on a surface especially at nights in winter seasons due to condensation of moisture.

I think now you might got the complete idea of DEW.

DEW FACTOR

How does the DEW effects the match ?
It effects bowling.
It effects batting.
It effects fielding.
Lets say dew is falling in late evening in a day and night match. Now when a dew falls everything on the ground becomes wet. The Outfield, Infield, pitch, ball and even sometimes the batting gloves becomes wet.

The field or ground becomes wet in such a way that, the moment the ball fells on the ground it becomes completely wet and you are forced every time to clean or rub a ball with a piece of cloth. The shoe becomes wet and fields man will not be able to field well, always skidding on a grass.

It seems like you are playing on a water logged surface and it displays every where on the field. It kills the ball, fielding, bowling entirely the romance of the game, but favors the batsman thanks to DEW FACTOR.

DEW AFFECTS BOWLING

As it is said earlier the dew is every where and ball becomes wet every time the bowlers feel difficult in holding the ball and especially gripping the ball. It skids always from your hand due to bad wet conditions.

This is not the only worrying factor for bowlers, even the pitch makes bowlers frustrated thanks to DEW FACTOR once again.

The pitch becomes so wet in such a way, you can say, even if you bowl with a nice seam position, the ball will not be able to grip or contact with the pitch, it skids, there by killing the swing and spin of the ball. And goes straighter always to the batsman, even if you spin or swing the ball.

You know, Dew affected pitches can be easily compared with a 22 yard smooth plane glass which has no juice in it and always skids.

If you spin a ball it doesn't turn much, it reaches nicely to the batsman by skidding. It kills the rotation of the ball and there by killing the turn. Even genuine wrist spinners feel difficult in spinning the ball.

If you swing a ball it doesn't swing much, it also reaches nicely to the batsman by skidding, just like a straight ball.

DEW AFFECTS BATTING

It effects batsman but in good way. It becomes easy for the batsman to play any shot, as the ball reaches the bat very nicely by skidding with out turn and swing.

The only worrying factor for the batsman is, some times he changes his wet gloves (Due to Dew factor), by wet gloves you cannot grip the bat properly. I think this is not the big problem for the batsman.

DEW AFFECTS FIELDING

When a Dew comes in to the party it will be little difficult for fielders to field.

The hands of fields men becomes always wet, the ball skids always from your hand, the ball wont reach you in time, as the pace of the ball slows down little bit on the field due to Dew Factor, the timing misses, even your shoe might frustrate you.

The shoe wouldn't be able to grip the field or ground well and you might skid while you chase a ball in a outfield.

Therefore the Dew Factor effects you in different departments of the game. But the batsman feels very much easy in these conditions.

Example

In 2007 in November Pakistan has chased 326 against India in a day and night match in Mohali. Simply the Pakistan has kept wickets in hands and used Dew Factor conditions very well and chased the big total very easily.

[Referenec: http://www.questioncricket.com/2009/05/dew-factor.html]

Old January 4, 2010, 12:27 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Nope!

Dew played its part. Have Sri Lanka batted first on this flat surface, they would have post something sround 350. The dew factor would have been out of the equation.

It's the wicket (BCB thinktank which prepared this flat surface) which is to blame. Everybody knew dew will be factor. Why no play to your stength and nullify the dew factor?
Old January 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Our lack of good fast bowlers was the factor why we lost.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Nope!
It's the wicket (BCB thinktank which prepared this flat surface) which is to blame. Everybody knew dew will be factor. Why no play to your stength and nullify the dew factor?
How to nullify the dew factor when your bowlers cannot even bowl with their natural grip?
How does the type of surface compensate for this?
Old January 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Bowling and fielding under conditions as moist as today - they were showing how soggy the outfield got - is extremely difficult, especially with so many spinners on the side. It's far from ideal if you have to wipe the ball to be able to grip it before every delivery. Sure you can expect moisture in the evening in places like Dhaka, but this was more than usual. I feel for our slower bowlers and believe they did OK under the circumstances.

Having said that, it's important to note that we lost because of a variety of factors. First, although the batting looked great, I think it's fair to say that we won't win matches on flat tracks against India and Sri Lanka unless we score 320+. These two teams are coming off a series where they have chased down 300+ scores against each other and have also made 400 each in the same ODI and they have done it against better pacers if not better spinners.

Which brings me to my next point - to defend 260 against an in-form Dilshan and Sangakkara, we'd have to bowl really well from the start, get a couple of wickets early on and keep the runs in check. I understand that Rubel and Shafi are young and need time to figure things out, but you'd expect them to get the basics right and at least try to bowl line and length, being the international cricketers that they are. Forget variations, they were straying all over the place and the amount of freebies they gave away made it impossible for the spinners to stamp their authortiy over the Lankan batsmen.

I'm not blaming our batsmen - this is probably the best we can get out of them. I'm blaming the pacers for acting like they were picked up from the streets and to a larger extent the coaches for not prepping us for a day when a couple of our key FBs would be injured and the team management for erring in the selection. Rasel should have played.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupantor
How to nullify the dew factor when your bowlers cannot even bowl with their natural grip?
How does the type of surface compensate for this?
If you prepare a surface which assists spinners, they would get the purchase and turn from the wicket, dew will hamper the spinners but can't completely rule out the influence of the spinners.

I have watched the match live, our spinners didn't struggle terribly to grip the ball, they did not get any assitance from the surface.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

the ball was skidding because of the dew. I have not seen any spin from our bowlers, other than skidding.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:17 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
If you prepare a surface which assists spinners, they would get the purchase and turn from the wicket, dew will hamper the spinners but can't completely rule out the influence of the spinners.

I have watched the match live, our spinners didn't struggle terribly to grip the ball, they did not get any assitance from the surface.

I have also watched whole match. Our bowlers were wiping the ball before delivering every ball. According to commentators, they were not able to grip the ball in right place of the ball. As ball was not pitching on the pitch in right way, they were not able to get spin from the pitch.

DEW AFFECTS BOWLING as posted before

The dew is every where and ball becomes wet every time the bowlers feel difficult in holding the ball and especially gripping the ball. It skids always from your hand due to bad wet conditions.

This is not the only worrying factor for bowlers, even the pitch makes bowlers frustrated thanks to DEW FACTOR once again.

The pitch becomes so wet in such a way, you can say, even if you bowl with a nice seam position, the ball will not be able to grip or contact with the pitch, it skids, there by killing the swing and spin of the ball. And goes straighter always to the batsman, even if you spin or swing the ball.

Dew affected pitches can be easily compared with a 22 yard smooth plane glass which has no juice in it and always skids.

If you spin a ball it doesn't turn much, it reaches nicely to the batsman by skidding. It kills the rotation of the ball and there by killing the turn. Even genuine wrist spinners feel difficult in spinning the ball.

If you swing a ball it doesn't swing much, it also reaches nicely to the batsman by skidding, just like a straight ball.

It is also worth reading the comment from Kumar Sangakkar

Kumar Sangakkara "I've seen dew before, but never like this. I wouldn't want to field in conditions like this, my bowlers wouldn't want to bowl in these conditions. The difference is, literally, day and night. Perhaps we need an 11am start, and finish the games before 6.45pm types. Talks are on, everybody has to like the idea, including the TV network." Cheeky Kumar there, but an issue certainly worth a thought in the coming six matches. Cheers
Old January 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:

miraz bhai, they did struggle a lot. they had to wipe and wipe the ball. I saw that even after all that wiping riyad naeem was still searching all over the ball to find a place he could grip. a number of those legside wides and similar loose balls happened because the ball slipped during delivery.

Last edited by Neel Here; January 4, 2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old January 4, 2010, 01:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

This pitch was not certainly the flattest pitch of the world. Dilsan even struggle to get quick runs in that pitch.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

We lost due to BCB and Sport & Youth ministry's morons and their cronic failure and unprofessionalness~ These fruitcakes should be heavily punished in the open streets of Dhaka and then send back to Aricha Ghaat to seel boiled eggs on the ferries and buses and work for/under the little children who are seeling the amras and eggs now!
Old January 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

But at 11 isn't there heavy fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu009

It is also worth reading the comment from Kumar Sangakkar

Kumar Sangakkara "I've seen dew before, but never like this. I wouldn't want to field in conditions like this, my bowlers wouldn't want to bowl in these conditions. The difference is, literally, day and night. Perhaps we need an 11am start, and finish the games before 6.45pm types. Talks are on, everybody has to like the idea, including the TV network." Cheeky Kumar there, but an issue certainly worth a thought in the coming six matches. Cheers
Old January 4, 2010, 02:32 PM
Cricket Guru

BCB arranged the series with only money in mind. I totally agree with Sanga - the timing has to be changed.

Also, Gamini needs to be told not to heavy roll the wicket.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi_mc69
This pitch was not certainly the flattest pitch of the world. Dilsan even struggle to get quick runs in that pitch.
No, it wasn't a 400 pitch. But it was good enough for teams like Sri Lanka and India to make a feast out of our bowling.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Dew's to blame

Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan pointed his finger at his coin luck which he believed had actually made the difference.

"I'm happy with our batting effort. We were probably only 10 to 15 runs short. But I think it would've been difficult to defend even over 300 under these conditions. The dew factor is what made the difference, not our batting or bowling.

"In the second half it was very difficult to grip the ball, the whole surface became unplayable."

The obvious question then came up whether winning the toss meant winning the game, Shakib emphatically said: "Yes, it all depends on the toss given the conditions.

"I will have to practise winning tosses if we want to win matches," mocked an ever-smiling Shakib.

"We may have to practise how to toss the coin rightly if we ultimately keep the same timing," the Tigers skipper joked.

About his team's chances against Sri Lanka, he said," We can beat this Sri Lanka side. If their first few batsmen who are in great form can be removed early, it will become an easy job."

Shakib said that he has spoken with his Sri Lanka opposite number, Kumar Sangakkara, and the umpires about the playing conditions and whether it was possible to start the games from 12pm instead of 2:30pm to reduce the impact of dew on deciding the outcome.

Sangakkara also echoed Shakib's sentiments about holding the matches early.

"Shakib made a very valid point. I do feel sorry for the team that fielded second. It is always difficult to play under lights with heavy dew around all over the surface.

"In this conditions, it is always a disadvantage to bowl second. So, the team winning the toss gets an unfair advantage.

"It would be good from the tournament's perspective if the games are brought forward."

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=120576
Old January 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Sriram Veera made the right point -

Quote:
The dew certainly played its role today, killing the excitement during the chase as the spinners found it difficult to grip the ball. But the game was lost while batting. It was the first game of the tournament and, ideally, it should have been exciting.

Bangladesh suffered from the old problems that have derailed their progress at the international level. Their top order struggled, rather surprisingly, against bounce on such an easy-paced wicket. The first four wickets all fell to short-pitched deliveries.
Cricinfo
Old January 4, 2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle

Blame it on the de-de-de-de-de-dew

Its not the dew my friends, its never the dew.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:25 PM
Cricket Guru

BCB dumbo still does not get it!

ম্যাচ অফিশিয়ালদের সূত্রে জানা গেছে, আজ ভারত-শ্রীলঙ্কার ম্যাচটা বেলা আড়াইটায় শুরু হলেও পরশুর ম্যাচ থেকে খেলা এগিয়ে আসতে পারে ঘণ্টাখানেক। এ ব্যাপারে সাকিব-সাঙ্গাকারার মতামত আম্পায়াররা কালই জানিয়ে দিয়েছেন ম্যাচ রেফারি অ্যান্ডি পাইক্রফ্টকে। আগামীকাল সিরিজের ফাঁকা দিনে বিসিবির সঙ্গে হয়তো এ নিয়ে কথা বলবেন তিনি। তবে বিসিবির সহসভাপতি ও ট্যুর অর্গানাইজিং কমিটির প্রধান আহমেদ সাজ্জাদুল আলম কাল রাতে বলেছেন, ‘এটা ক্রিকেটের মৌসুম। এই মৌসুমে এ ধরনের আবহাওয়া খুবই স্বাভাবিক। এর জন্য ম্যাচের সময় আগানো যায় না। তবে পরিস্থিতি যদি আরও খারাপ হয়, তাহলে এ নিয়ে ভাবা যাবে।’

http://prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2...-05/news/32645
Old January 4, 2010, 07:20 PM
Cricket Guru

BTW, I wonder if Lotus will come after Shakib again for talking with Sanga and umps without talking with "his highness" first.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
BCB dumbo still does not get it!

ম্যাচ অফিশিয়ালদের সূত্রে জানা গেছে, আজ ভারত-শ্রীলঙ্কার ম্যাচটা বেলা আড়াইটায় শুরু হলেও পরশুর ম্যাচ থেকে খেলা এগিয়ে আসতে পারে ঘণ্টাখানেক। এ ব্যাপারে সাকিব-সাঙ্গাকারার মতামত আম্পায়াররা কালই জানিয়ে দিয়েছেন ম্যাচ রেফারি অ্যান্ডি পাইক্রফ্টকে। আগামীকাল সিরিজের ফাঁকা দিনে বিসিবির সঙ্গে হয়তো এ নিয়ে কথা বলবেন তিনি। তবে বিসিবির সহসভাপতি ও ট্যুর অর্গানাইজিং কমিটির প্রধান আহমেদ সাজ্জাদুল আলম কাল রাতে বলেছেন, ‘এটা ক্রিকেটের মৌসুম। এই মৌসুমে এ ধরনের আবহাওয়া খুবই স্বাভাবিক। এর জন্য ম্যাচের সময় আগানো যায় না। তবে পরিস্থিতি যদি আরও খারাপ হয়, তাহলে এ নিয়ে ভাবা যাবে।’

http://prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2...-05/news/32645
translation, bitte?
Old January 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
translation, bitte?
Umps have conveyed Shakib and Sanga's request to start matches early to match referee Andy Pycroft. Pycroft is planning to talk with BCB bosses on the matter on the 6th, the off day for the series, to ask them to start remaining matches early. But BCB vice president and tour organizing committee chief Sajjadul Alam (Bobby) thinks the condition yesterday was what to be expected here in Dhaka during winter and there is nothing wrong with it. He thinks there is no good enough reason to start matches early. He may only consider it if conditions get worse.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Not good news.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:16 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
BCB arranged the series with only money in mind. I totally agree with Sanga - the timing has to be changed.

Also, Gamini needs to be told not to heavy roll the wicket.
I am guessing that suggestion for changing the timing has come from Shakib - our captain. On this guess, I am saying the following.

1. We knew about this dew factor long before the tournament started.
2. We also knew long before that it was going to be a day-night match - tournament
3. We can play in the natural condition that is available to us.
4. And the condition is more pace-friendly under lights with the dew factor coming in - which our opponents will prove in the later games.
5. Unfortunately, we do not have any fit and internationally established in-form pace bowler in our team at the moment.

So, asking for changing the timing - it is ridiculous. We have to face the facts and try to get the best out of it, accept the hard truth and learn from it for the future.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

The dew did play its part, a major one too. But the pitch was unbelievable, even against Victoria 5th XI we are not likely to score 350 in 50 overs, but in these pitches SL/IND will regularly cross 350. Something must be done by the curators to give Bangladesh a chance.
And also for the ones who are blaming BCB for the timing, dont blame BCB, its the onl window they could find to arrange the tournament, so they had to organize the game in such conditions.
Old January 5, 2010, 01:08 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
I am guessing that suggestion for changing the timing has come from Shakib - our captain. On this guess, I am saying the following.

1. We knew about this dew factor long before the tournament started.
2. We also knew long before that it was going to be a day-night match - tournament
3. We can play in the natural condition that is available to us.
4. And the condition is more pace-friendly under lights with the dew factor coming in - which our opponents will prove in the later games.
5. Unfortunately, we do not have any fit and internationally established in-form pace bowler in our team at the moment.

So, asking for changing the timing - it is ridiculous. We have to face the facts and try to get the best out of it, accept the hard truth and learn from it for the future.

very well said sister

regardless of what other people say, i am ALhamdulillah! very very proud of how Tigers got out of that mess and posted 260, particularly Ashraful, Riyad, Naeem, Tamim and Rahim...

we can always improve on shot selection... but i loved the approach!!!