facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Ponting openly said Bangladesh should be stripped of its test status. Did you guys have similar reactions?

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/237538.html

You guys have to stop being sensitive and direct your anger towards your own team for being inept for a very long time. As long as you are satisfied with winning odd sessions and inspiring spell for a brief period BD is not going to get anywhere. They have to win multiple sessions in a row. Even fans here find amusing ways to satisfy with their performance. For instance they compare the runs given to india by bangladesh and runs given to india by Srilanka and if Bangla has given less runs they bizzarrely conclude BD is better against India than Srilanka. COme on guys. That is very lame. Today Sehwag, Tomorrow Sangakkar, someone else will keep questioning about your test status. How are you going prove them wrong other than winning few sessions?
Old January 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Really? Could you provide me with some stats please?
TeamScoreOversRPOInnsResultOpposition
Ground
Start Date
Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
India24370.53.431wonv BangladeshChittagong17-Jan-10
India6421544.161wonv Sri LankaKanpur24-Nov-09
India426104.54.061drawv Sri LankaAhmedabad16-Nov-09
India37992.14.111drawv New ZealandWellingtonBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
3-Apr-09
India453158.22.861drawv EnglandMohali19-Dec-08
India441124.53.531wonv AustraliaNagpur6-Nov-08
India613/7d1613.81drawv AustraliaDelhi29-Oct-08
India4691293.631wonv AustraliaMohaliBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
17-Oct-08
India249803.111lostv Sri LankaColombo (PSS)8-Aug-08
India329824.011wonv Sri LankaGalle31-Jul-08
India76203.81lostv South AfricaAhmedabad3-Apr-08
India526152.53.441drawv AustraliaAdelaideBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
24-Jan-08
India33098.23.351wonv AustraliaPerth16-Jan-08
India626150.24.161drawv PakistanBangalore8-Dec-07
India616/5d152.54.031drawv PakistanKolkata30-Nov-07
India6641703.91drawv EnglandThe OvalBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
9-Aug-07
India610/3d1533.981wonv BangladeshDhaka25-May-07
India387/8d98.53.911drawv BangladeshChittagong18-May-07
India414131.13.151lostv South AfricaCape Town2-Jan-07
India24979.53.111wonv South AfricaJohannesburgBitmap
15-Dec-06

The key is innings #1.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...m;view=innings

In June of 06 they scored 200.

In six plus years, they were bundled out under 70 overs just ONCE batting first.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

I'm not gonna complain about Sehwag's comments as it's his prerogative but what it did is reinforce the argument that India are the number 1 team only TEMPORARILY as Ian Chappel has described and their best days are most likely behind them. Take a look at what India did to Srilanka in the last two tests...first they defeated SL by an innings and 144 runs and the match was over in four days, next they defeated them again by an innings and 24 runs and only 9 overs were required on the fifth day to wrap things up.

In this match they won by 113 runs but that too against a so called "ordinary" team and the game was pretty much in the balance until the second session of the fourth day. Now either of two things has happenned. Either Bangladesh performed reasonably well even in defeat and is by no means an ordinary team rather a rapidly improving one, or India has already peaked and will only go downwards from here. As I've already said in the past India isn't a balanced team at all, they have great batting might for sure, but their bowling attack doesn't even break into top five in the world. South Africa, Australia, Pakistan, England and most likely even New Zealand have better bowling strength than India. As other teams like South Africa, Australia, England keep improving in both departments and figure out India's weakness, their days as number one in the world are numbered.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

a team that gets two innings victories on batting pitches has a bowling that isn't in top 5 ?

as I see it, Ind's bowling strength is deceptive. sure there are no mcgraths in this team but someone always chips in when needed. you don't defeat aus in aus, win a series in eng and NZ and dismiss SA for 84 in SA without having a potent bowling attack.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
TeamScoreOversRPOInnsResultOpposition
Ground
Start Date
Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
India24370.53.431wonv BangladeshChittagong17-Jan-10
India6421544.161wonv Sri LankaKanpur24-Nov-09
India426104.54.061drawv Sri LankaAhmedabad16-Nov-09
India37992.14.111drawv New ZealandWellingtonBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
3-Apr-09
India453158.22.861drawv EnglandMohali19-Dec-08
India441124.53.531wonv AustraliaNagpur6-Nov-08
India613/7d1613.81drawv AustraliaDelhi29-Oct-08
India4691293.631wonv AustraliaMohaliBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
17-Oct-08
India249803.111lostv Sri LankaColombo (PSS)8-Aug-08
India329824.011wonv Sri LankaGalle31-Jul-08
India76203.81lostv South AfricaAhmedabad3-Apr-08
India526152.53.441drawv AustraliaAdelaideBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
24-Jan-08
India33098.23.351wonv AustraliaPerth16-Jan-08
India626150.24.161drawv PakistanBangalore8-Dec-07
India616/5d152.54.031drawv PakistanKolkata30-Nov-07
India6641703.91drawv EnglandThe OvalBitmap Bitmap Bitmap Bitmap
9-Aug-07
India610/3d1533.981wonv BangladeshDhaka25-May-07
India387/8d98.53.911drawv BangladeshChittagong18-May-07
India414131.13.151lostv South AfricaCape Town2-Jan-07
India24979.53.111wonv South AfricaJohannesburgBitmap
15-Dec-06

The key is innings #1.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...m;view=innings

In June of 06 they scored 200.

In six plus years, they were bundled out under 70 overs just ONCE batting first.
Ok you bundled us out in <70 overs; so what ? Why are you guys getting constant orgasm over that and forgetting that India completely outplayed you in the remaining 4 days of the test match. Sehwag did specify that BD can surprise you in ODI (which you guys did on Day one) but you couldn't stretch your brilliance in the entire test match. If you look at it logically, India comfortably beat BD in less than 4 days if you take into account the time lost due to fog/bad light.

Read Sehwag's interview again (pre match) and think for a while. He no where meant to be arrogant and just stated the bloody obvious which is known to every single individual who has an iota of interest in cricket. You guys don't have to find that as an insult and try to understand what the opponent is trying to say. Use that as a motivating factor and work hard on improving. Talking in media after winning 2 sessions out of 15, will only make you look silly.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:31 PM
Test Cricketer

"a team that gets two innings victories on batting pitches has a bowling that isn't in top 5 ?

as I see it, Ind's bowling strength is deceptive. sure there are no mcgraths in this team but someone always chips in when needed. you don't defeat aus in aus, win a series in eng and NZ and dismiss SA for 84 in SA without having a potent bowling attack."

That's the part other teams are in the process of figuring out. SL for instance drew the first test, with a little bit of luck (e.g. Dilshan's dismissals) and better strategy, i.e. accepting the fact that it's almost impossible to dismiss India twice on Indian soil so play for a draw instead, they probably could've easily drawn the series.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
.first they defeated SL by an innings and 144 runs and the match was over in four days, next they defeated them again by an innings and 24 runs and only 9 overs were required on the fifth day to wrap things up.

In this match they won by 113 runs but that too against a so called "ordinary" team and the game was pretty much in the balance until the second session of the fourth day. .
That makes bd better than SL? great logic It is totally irrelevant SL has handed out 12 test defeats in a row to Bangladesh.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
, their days as number one in the world are numbered.
We are good till the end of 2011 . You have to worry more about Bangladesh's days as number 9 in the world are not numbered.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
"a team that gets two innings victories on batting pitches has a bowling that isn't in top 5 ?

as I see it, Ind's bowling strength is deceptive. sure there are no mcgraths in this team but someone always chips in when needed. you don't defeat aus in aus, win a series in eng and NZ and dismiss SA for 84 in SA without having a potent bowling attack."

That's the part other teams are in the process of figuring out. SL for instance drew the first test, with a little bit of luck (e.g. Dilshan's dismissals) and better strategy, i.e. accepting the fact that it's almost impossible to dismiss India twice on Indian soil so play for a draw instead, they probably could've easily drawn the series.
how does that explain the wins in australia (where the series was as good as won 2-1 by Ind, if not for the sydney test where an unbelievable number of dodgy decisions went against Ind)eng, SL, pak, SA,NZ and WI ?
Old January 21, 2010, 12:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
how does that explain the wins in australia (where the series was as good as won 2-1 by Ind, if not for the sydney test where an unbelievable number of dodgy decisions went against Ind)eng, SL, pak, SA,NZ and WI ?
England is yet to win a series against India in the last 13 years. India has won twice and drawn twice after that period 2 home 2 away. Amazingly illiterate this guy is about cricket from other countries. I don't even see a match thread for other international matches like you see in other forums.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
and India still doesn't have a fast bowler...
Even then, I was pretty impressed by their pace bowling - especially Zaheer and Ishant (Shreeshanth is still an embarrassment). The way they tease the batsmen with line and length - pitching it at a spot where they don't know whether to go forward or back or whether to play at it at all, over and over and over - is actually pretty neat and something that our bowlers still need to learn. No, they are not the best in the world, but definitely better than what we have at the moment.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend

sreesanth is the ashraful of Ind bowling attack. some days you look for a place to hide him, other days he runs through the best batting line-ups in town. http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...g;view=innings

avg of 32 is still decent though.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Admin warning:

Please keep the discourse civil.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Street Cricketer

Sree Santh like i mentioned on the other thread was the only hope for Bangla and he played well for you too. Unfortunately Mishraji and Sharmaji were disciplined in their bowling.

I can't belive spectators booed Sehwag during the presentation, so I'm happy he gave it back sarcastically by saying 'Yes, all Indians are loved in Bangladesh' and 'They still didn't take 20 wickets'.

Bangla bowling in the end though was their saving grace, batting is shaky. Tamim played well but started getting frustrated soon after his 50, shows that he is a good cricketer but for tests you need extra temperament which Bangla players will develop.
Indian batting is just too strong to give away 20 wickets so easily on a batting pitch.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Prepare such a minefield in Mirpur where 150 will be par score and then take 20 Indian wickets to stop this ugly debate of words!
Old January 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
Cricket Guru

In Sehwag's defence, he did not want to rub this on, he initially avoided the question, but some Bangladeshi journo eventually nagged this comment out of him.

Like it or not, he spoke the truth.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its silly spending so much time analyzing what comes out of this guys mouth. He said what he said, prior to and after this match. It is our players who can shut him or his likes up. They took it to heart as it was obvious in the first innings. As a unit, the bowlers outplayed our batsmen, and maybe some Indian player needs to stoke a fire under the belly of our batsmen. They need it.

Word about Shehwag. Its easy to mouth off from a position of power. But, the table will surely turn one day. His age will catch up to him and he will lose his touch. I just hope we are playing him at that moment of his career.

I am sure our bowlers will give us another strong effort in Dhaka. It will be nice to see him get hit in the mouth a few times!
Old January 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Word about Shehwag. Its easy to mouth off from a position of power. But, the table will surely turn one day. His age will catch up to him and he will lose his touch. I just hope we are playing him at that moment of his career.
if you know shehwag, he will be the first to acknowledge if the tables are turned. I repeat, it's not arrogance on his part. he is unpolished,crass may be but not arrogant.
he didn't say BD will never be a good team did he ? he said they were not a good side now in his opinion and that's true as far as we can tell.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Neel

Not bit worried about what makes Shehwag the person. If he is not arrogant, I will make him sound arrogant to my players. If he is crass, I will make him look vindictive, polished and calculated to my players. My point being, if somebody provides you the fodder, you make him look worse than what he really is in the battle field. However, you have to channel the emotion in a proper way or else it might backfire. Like I have said, I have no intention of trying to understand the man himself. Neither should the team. Right now, he is providing motivation and the bowlers clearly took it to heart. I am sure Siddons was reminding them during every break.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

fair enough, as long as you do it to the team. demonising him here, wrongly at that, serves no purpose, unless you believe shakib comes to BC in the middle of a match for tips !
Old January 21, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Where have I demonised him? I have stayed away from that as it serves no purpose, but if I was the coach, I will be doing a disservice to the team if I weren't reminding them every step of the way. Its called trying to serve up competitive advantage from bulletin board material. Its part of motivational process leading up to or during a game. He served it. Its the managements job to squeeze every ounce of juice from any perceived slight.

No, I don't believe that Sakib and co. comes here for match tips. However, neither does the Indian team to see their PR guy spinning on their behalf.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle

Is only Nafees and Ash added 50 more to the score, the tone of this interview would be so different....
Old January 21, 2010, 03:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
he will be the first to acknowledge if the tables are turned. I repeat, it's not arrogance on his part. he is unpolished,crass may be but not arrogant.
i just like to ask this one question to all of our Indian members here, where was shehwag with this attitude after India lost 8 wicket on the first day?? if he was so confident in his statement that we have an ordinary team that can not take 20 wickets in test cricket, why did he not show up at the press conference after day 1?

if he is the first to acknowledge as you said if the tables are turned, why was he such a coward and didn't show up for the press conference after day 1?

Last edited by Ajfar; January 21, 2010 at 03:19 PM..
Old January 21, 2010, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Man, a lot of you here are acting like little girls. Sehwag talked trash, and his team backed it up. Enough said. Quit crying about it and yelling at Sehwag when we should instead be yelling at our top order. this isn't a tea party in which we all have to be polite. Its an international sport and trash talking is fairly common. The only way to get them to stop talking is to start winning and we have yet to do that. So until we actually start performing, I have no problem with what Sehwag says or does. Man up people.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
Man, a lot of you here are acting like little girls. Sehwag talked trash, and his team backed it up. Enough said. Quit crying about it and yelling at Sehwag when we should instead be yelling at our top order. this isn't a tea party in which we all have to be polite. Its an international sport and trash talking is fairly common. The only way to get them to stop talking is to start winning and we have yet to do that. So until we actually start performing, I have no problem with what Sehwag says or does. Man up people.
......Except the fact that club sports like Man U, Lakers, Patriots or Duke are LOCAL affairs, between teams representing their franchise. Trash talking is a media stunt.

....This is int'l cricket with fans that have more nationalism in their heart. It becomes much more personal, than just insulting ur favorite sports club. Its insulting the nation.

I am always weary of guys that make pointed comments that speaks at large of a country's more general perception about another country.