facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim,Mash,Mushfiq
Default Ashraful under pressure to perform - Siddons

Jamie Siddons, the Bangladesh coach, has said batsman Mohammad Ashraful was fortunate to retain a place in the national team but felt there was no adequate replacement for him yet. Siddons also viewed the first Test as an opportunity lost for Bangladesh and believed the result could have been different had the top order batted better.

Ashraful averages 22.92 from 51 Tests, and his 101 against Sri Lanka in December 2008 is his only 50-plus score in more than two years. "There is definitely a lot of pressure on Mohammad Ashraful," Siddons told Cricinfo. "He knows that he has been very inconsistent and we have talked about it. In that regard, he is very lucky to be still in the team but unless you find someone else, someone better, to replace him, he will play. After all, it wasn't long time back that he hit a hundred against Sri Lanka. I hope he scores in the second Test and inspires the whole team."

Akram Khan, the national selector, had earlier said that they were forced to play Ashraful in the past because of the lack of seniors but Siddons wasn't convinced about that reasoning. "I have never been a fan of playing players just because of experience. You need to perform," Siddons said. "Else, you might as well play young players. As for Ashraful, there is no one anyway, as yet, as good as him and hence he continues to play. But the pressure is growing."

Looking back at the first Test, Siddons said Bangladesh would have done better, perhaps even won the Test, had the top order put in a better performance. "I definitely see it as an opportunity lost. We finished short of 100 runs in the end. We bowled well in the first innings and that gave us a great chance. But we didn't bat well in the first 30 overs in both the innings. The top order needs to step up. If we can bat the first 30 overs well, I am sure this team is capable of putting good totals."

Shahriar Nafees, playing his first Test in nearly two years due to his ICL dalliance, looked shaky at No. 3 in both innings and looked uncertain outside his off stump but Siddons said that Nafees would be given another chance in the second Test in Dhaka. "He should get a chance. This is his comeback game and there was bound to be some nerves. We played him because he is a good player of spin and we felt India would play two spinners in that Test. If he had got through the initial period against pace he can go on to play a big innings. He is working hard and I must say that he did get a good ball in the first innings."

Considering Nafees' form, some felt there might be a revision in the batting order but Siddons also ruled out any promotion in the order for Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim or Mahmudullah. "Shakib is still learning to bat at his position at the international level and I don't think he should be pushed up now. Mahmudullah did bat well but he has just started playing at this level. He also found out all about pressure at this level in the second innings (Zaheer Khan bombarded him with a bouncer-attack and Mahmudullah fell trying to counterattack). Mushfiqur has to keep wickets as well. It won't be prudent to push people up, what would solve the problem is the batsmen batting higher up start scoring some runs."

http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind201...ry/445422.html
Old January 22, 2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

I guess this second test will seal the fate of Ashraful. If he fails, he will be out of test team for a long time. But wait, Ash scores a century when he is on the brink of losing his place, so we might ever get a century from him
Old January 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I just cant understand if they realize that ASH does not deserve a place then why the hell they donot give others a chance ??? Unless you give somebody a chance then how would you know that person is capable of replacing ASH or not !? For example, Naeem Islam may not have Test match mentality right now but, i am more than sure, he will be more useful than ASH in near future if he gets proper chance.

Regarding SN, i also believe SN deserves a second chance. Siddons was right about SN's poor technique against seam bowling. So let him play in Middle order when pitch will be dried out and spin attack will be on ! So, i believe, Bangladesh Batting order should be re-shuffled. Mahmudullah should be promoted and either SN or Shakib should bat late in the order.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Ash will stay on until there is someone to replace him, currently there is no one and please dont reply back saying 'Rajin Saleh' because he is as good (or as bad) as Ashraful.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by asddsa
I just cant understand if they realize that ASH does not deserve a place then why the hell they donot give others a chance ??? Unless you give somebody a chance then how would you know that person is capable of replacing ASH or not !? For example, Naeem Islam may not have Test match mentality now but i am more than sure he will be more useful than ASH in near future.

Regarding SN, i also believe SN deserves a second chance. Siddons was right about SN's poor
technique against seam bowling. So let him play in Middle order when pitch will be dried out and spin attack will be on ! So, i believe, Bangladesh Batting order should be re-shuffled. Mahmudullah should be promoted and either SN or Shakib should bat late in the order.
You meant third chance!
Old January 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
You meant third chance!
whatever !
Old January 22, 2010, 08:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

JS clearly indicated that Ashraful is not going anywhere soon. JS repeatedly mentioned the lack of challenge for Ash's place, so we might just have to get used to it. Also whenever someone says pressure is on Ash, he answers well, and Man, can we use a century from Ash in 2nd test
Old January 22, 2010, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

I want Nayeem in 2nd test. We must use him form. He should replace one of these stupids.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

So, I am ready to see a big ton by our little little master.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:07 AM
Cricket Guru

if JS understands that there is no one who can replace ASH now, then what's the point of miking that Mohammad Ashraful is fortunate to retain a place in the national team !??? if you cant find any replacement of ASH then let him play without any mental pressure. What's the meaning of putting more and more pressure on ASH !?? It wont help much to ASH rather deteriorating his performance.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shk/Mus/Momi/Nas/Mas/Rub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
Ash will stay on until there is someone to replace him, currently there is no one and please dont reply back saying 'Rajin Saleh' because he is as good (or as bad) as Ashraful.
why not, if we think at least some one can contribute more runs on scoreboard and prolong the innings than Ash, then he needs to replace Ash, whoever it is, it can be Rajin Saleh. Rajin is now in good form in longer version and has been playing at this level.

Or you are satisfy enough to see Ash out there and Bangladesh loosing their chances. Ash should be there no matter what is the fate of BD, just you sound like that.

Ash is no Sachin or Dravid Or ponting that no one can replace him. Even a water boy if got chances like Ash, I bet he can bit justify his career more flourishingly than Ash-the-fool.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Tan 96 eh? that was one of the answers to my maths exam
Old January 22, 2010, 08:56 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim,Mash,Mushfiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Tan 96 eh? that was one of the answers to my maths exam
tan96=-9.514364454

I dont know why it came to my mind but thought that it would be quite a good username.
Old January 22, 2010, 10:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

so he survives. what else is new.
Old January 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

Only if I knew who invented the theory that there are no suitable replacements for Ash at the moment..............
Old January 22, 2010, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by asddsa
if JS understands that there is no one who can replace ASH now, then what's the point of miking that Mohammad Ashraful is fortunate to retain a place in the national team !??? if you cant find any replacement of ASH then let him play without any mental pressure. What's the meaning of putting more and more pressure on ASH !?? It wont help much to ASH rather deteriorating his performance.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about this extra pressure on Ash. The management and coach need to shut their mouths and not say it in public. They can have a meeting with him and sort of drop the hint-" Look , we really want you to perform in tests, but if you continue to fail, then we have to think about replacing you until you find better form" Why do they have to be so insensitive. Ash has made them win important matches in the past.
Old January 22, 2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

To correct Ash, I need to modify the sig of ATMR:

"Whip is mightier than verbal reprimand".

Last edited by BD-Shardul; January 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM..
Old January 22, 2010, 10:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Eid is coming
Old January 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

The problem with our batsman is no-one can handle the swinging balls in the first 20-30 overs. Siddons is right, I think Ash and SN would do well after that period. I would prefer to swap positions, put SN at #4 and Ash at #3. What we really need to do is just see the first 20-30 overs off of the new ball. Not play any loose shots and not get out. I think then Ash and SN can go on and play a big innings. They just need to stay at the crease for a long time.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Siddons is the coach. For our team coach needs to be a supportive one. So he can't just say straight forward Ash is not going to keep his place with this sort of performance. So he is saying the obvious with a different tone. He is very careful in constructing sentences.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

siddons is right about SN...i want mushfique to play as no 3, where Sn will play mushfiques spot..as he plays well in spin bowling.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

btw, the other day in his interview with that Indian daily Siddons did say that he feels pressure only when a player who should perform is not performing. So I guess Ash remains a challenge even for Siddons.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Well it's obvious..ash has to perform to be in the team..just 1 good score in the last 2 1/2 years is just not good enough..he's going to have to play really well next match..
Old January 22, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim 'The Beast' Iqbal

If Nafees can't play pace, then why is he an opener? Doesn't seem right...
Old January 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
If Nafees can't play pace, then why is he an opener? Doesn't seem right...
Yeah exactly! What's more weird, is the fact that Nafees has always been an opener or a number 3 in all forms of the game, even when he played for the U-19 BAN Team, for his divisional team, for his DPL team, for the A-Team and for the National team. So its just baffling, that he managed to come this far with this obvious weakness of playing against fast-bowlers and quality swing bowlers. Has no local coaches or mentor noticed this glaringly obvious weakness of Nafees and tried to rectify it?

How can a batsman, who has been an opener/top order batsman, all through his career, be THIS weak against fast bowling? I could have understood if Nafees was a mskeshift opener but he has always opened the innings for his teams in the age-divisions, the local league, the nationals. So an opener who is weak against fast bowlers but good against spin is almost unheard of