facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 27, 2010, 02:34 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ted Dexter
BDFlag A flicker of light within the Bangladesh aviation comunity

Considering United Airways Bangladesh Ltd, has only recently started, at a time of much turmoil within the industry, they have done amazingly well. They decided to go for lease-purchasing their assets opposed to wet/dry leasing, which has constrained them somewhat financially, but with hindsight has not been a bad thing.
They are now on their 4th Aircraft an MD83 purchased from Rumania, with views to obtaining a couple of 767/300er's this year for their long haul ops.
They are operating a couple of Dash 8's on their domestic routes as well as Kolkata, with views on a third shortly.
The MD83’s operated to Dubai, London Gatwick and Khualla Lumpur twice weekly for the moment. The frequency and routes will increase as and when the 767's arrive to take over the long haul routes that the MD83’s are operating presently, releasing them for the Bahrain, Jeddah, Bangkok, Kathmandu, Yangon, Chang Mai as well as the 12 or 13 other destinations within India which had been granted them.
Probably the most beneficial route for United Airways will be the Sylhet (Bangladesh) London and Manchester direct, without having to first negociate the capital Dhaka, which has always been a real pain for the Sylheti passengers. The past 38 years has seen the hard done to Sylheti’s bear all kinds of mental and physical harassment travelling to and from Bangladesh via the capital. On their return finding most of the baggage still in Dhaka. And when it eventually arrived, was usually minus most of it's valuables.
I personally witnessed the baggage handlers (whilst collecting my luggage 5 days later) in a room 3 or 4 high in luggage, being intentionally jumped upon in an effort to split them open, in blatant view of the airports senior officials, obviously expecting the choice pickings at some point.
The sooner Sylhet Osmani attains international status the better.
As far as the national carrier Bangladesh Biman is concerned, the sooner this parasitical monstrosity is dissolved, or privatised the better. This government sponsored hole in the economy from which over 36,000 parasites have been leeching it dry over the past 37 or so years (which at the most requires no more than 6,000 to maintain), has been a source of such corruption that is hard to believe could ever go un-noticed without ministerial aiding & abetting.
There is no airline in history (let alone a national one) that has operated with virtual 100% occupancy, and at premium priced tickets , yet not been able to replace and expand their fleet with newer and safer aircraft, and more lucrative routes. Also astounding is the fact that Bangladesh’s airlines (cumulatively) only carry about 8% of the passengers to and from it. A sad indictment in itself.
What ever happened to sales and marketing. Had this been a public company, there would be some serious head rolling, once the senior management (including those now pensioned of) were brought to account.
Incredible also to find that they hold $10’s of millions of over invoiced spares in their stores for aircraft types that they have never been on their fleet. Shame on you Bangladesh Biman, And more so their ministry that been turning a blind eye to this for so long.
I thought the caretaker/anti corruption administration would have jumped upon this when they had a chance. I guess now everything is status quo, and swept back under the carpet. And now they have been forced into action after watching a few small businessmen with limited funds make a success of their efforts in such a short time. Better late than never. Or is it just another opportunity to get a huge kick-back in a country of their choice. Hmmmmmm.....

The only thing worse than
“The fear of speaking the truth” is,
“The fear of un-covering it”

Old February 9, 2010, 11:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

I live in the US and I took the Biman direct flight to Dhaka once from New York. But haven't since 2000. I now stay away as far as possible from Biman (atleast Dosh Hat durey). My whole family does after some bad experiences with their service and the fact that the New York flight was always filled with some minister, mp, or their relatives (khala, khalu, chachi, chachuu, fupi or fupi's shoshur barir lok etc). I even heard horror stories where one passenger even stood up the whole flight from New York to Dhaka as the flight was overbooked. Apparently the Biman local flight managers were always under pressure to give seats to these mp's and their chamchas or relatives (in the last minute), so they have no choice really, otherwise they loose their jobs.

Anyway I agree with you in that the private airlines are doing great. I just wished they would start a service from New York to Dhaka or from somewhere from North America. Looks like they are doing great so far so why not give it a shot. Hopefuly they will have the balls to tell those mp's and their dalals to stay the hell away from them.
Good Luck the the Private Airlines of Bangladesh.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:42 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ted Dexter

There are several United Airways USA directors in New York, and they too are plugging away for just that. However they have only just managed to start their UK service after 2 years of hard work with totally the wrong aircraft. However they had no choice as they were given till 31st December 'or else'. They are desperately trying to arrange a couple of 767/300er's before they create a bad name, as although the MD83's are great aircraft, they don't have the facilities of their wide bodied big cousins.
If they are sensible, they will suspend their UK operations until they have their 767's on line.
As far as US ops are concerned, they will need to raise further funds for another 2 aircraft to cover that route.
United Airways (bd) Ltd is about to float on the Bangladesh stock market. In my opinion all you supporters of free enterprise should 'put you money where your heart is' and help this fledgling airline be our new flag carrier, because our exsisting one is dragging it through the mud.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't want it to be a flag carrier, because then it will be turned into a government run company and you know how inefficient those can be (i.e. Biman). But as long as they are efficient and provide good service, I'll fly them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey.ch
There are several United Airways USA directors in New York, and they too are plugging away for just that. However they have only just managed to start their UK service after 2 years of hard work with totally the wrong aircraft. However they had no choice as they were given till 31st December 'or else'. They are desperately trying to arrange a couple of 767/300er's before they create a bad name, as although the MD83's are great aircraft, they don't have the facilities of their wide bodied big cousins.
If they are sensible, they will suspend their UK operations until they have their 767's on line.
As far as US ops are concerned, they will need to raise further funds for another 2 aircraft to cover that route.
United Airways (bd) Ltd is about to float on the Bangladesh stock market. In my opinion all you supporters of free enterprise should 'put you money where your heart is' and help this fledgling airline be our new flag carrier, because our exsisting one is dragging it through the mud.