facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 28, 2010, 11:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Harsha Bhogle Opinion on Bangladesh Cricket

Quote:
Bangladesh may have lost the series but there are unmistakable signs of green shoots there. Hopefully, unlike the economists, we won't have to keep revising our estimates, for Bangladesh have hinted at progress before and fallen well short. But there are leading indicators and they are looking better than they have for a while. They now need three things to happen: Mashrafe Mortaza to return, a solid batsman at No. 3 and their sports minister to stay away from cricketing judgement.

At last they have an allrounder. Shakib Al Hasan is the best spinner in Bangladesh and easily fits into the top six. And, in a welcome departure from deep-rooted trends, he bowls with a beautifully straight arm. I suspect too that in him they have found the right captain. There is an assurance about the way he carries himself and it doesn't seem to affect his performance. He needs time though and, as we have seen on either side of India, it is a luxury captains are denied.

There are a couple of decent seamers in Shahadat Hossain and Rubel Hossain and a third, ideally Mortaza, would be very handy. And they have an opener who likes to get on with it. There will be days when Tamim Iqbal will invite criticism for impetuosity but that comes with his style. Like Shakib, though, he needs time for he looks like he will become a special player for them. His 151 reminded me of one other; Mohammad Ashraful's incandescent 158 not out in Chittagong a few years ago. Since then Ashraful has stayed where he was with only an occasional allowance to his special ability. Luckily for Tamim, he is coming through at a time when Bangladesh are seeing a little more success and hopefully that will make him, and others around him, a little more positive.

In time to come Mahmudullah will move up the order. His offbreaks are unlikely to be his best friends for long and, like Sri Lanka's Thilan Samaraweera, he might become a batting allrounder and eventually, a batsman. Indeed that is where he might serve Bangladesh better because they need someone a little more reliable in the top four.
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/446078.html

My Favorite 3rd Fav TV commentator behind Lloyd and Holding
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!

Old January 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

ok i didnt read what it says but yea Harsha is actually a good commentator.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:00 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
and their sports minister to stay away from cricketing judgement.
I like this part. Does luttas read CI
Old January 29, 2010, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Very good opinion indeed.

Quote:
They now need three things to happen:
1. Mashrafe Mortaza to return,
2. a solid batsman at No.
3. and their sports minister to stay away from cricketing judgement.
exactly !
Old January 29, 2010, 12:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
We shouldn't question luttas Wisdom, Besides I don't think he knows how to turn on a Computer
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old January 29, 2010, 12:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
We shouldn't question luttas Wisdom, Besides I don't think he knows how to turn on a Computer
he probably hired someone to do that for him.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:50 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: tamim/ash/aftab/sakib/ria

that was good comment he impress with this bangladesh team we just need to bring aftab ahmed on one down batsman .
Old January 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
Club Cricketer

Default The future looks rosy for Bangladesh : Harsha Bhogle

They have a good allrounder who could be their permanent captain and they have talent sprinkled through the team but need a solid No. 3, a fit Mortaza and better out-cricket

Harsha Bhogle

January 29, 2010

Bangladesh may have lost the series but there are unmistakable signs of green shoots there. Hopefully, unlike the economists, we won't have to keep revising our estimates, for Bangladesh have hinted at progress before and fallen well short. But there are leading indicators and they are looking better than they have for a while. They now need three things to happen: Mashrafe Mortaza to return, a solid batsman at No. 3 and their sports minister to stay away from cricketing judgement.

At last they have an allrounder. Shakib Al Hasan is the best spinner in Bangladesh and easily fits into the top six. And, in a welcome departure from deep-rooted trends, he bowls with a beautifully straight arm. I suspect too that in him they have found the right captain. There is an assurance about the way he carries himself and it doesn't seem to affect his performance. He needs time though and, as we have seen on either side of India, it is a luxury captains are denied.

There are a couple of decent seamers in Shahadat Hossain and Rubel Hossain and a third, ideally Mortaza, would be very handy. And they have an opener who likes to get on with it. There will be days when Tamim Iqbal will invite criticism for impetuosity but that comes with his style. Like Shakib, though, he needs time for he looks like he will become a special player for them. His 151 reminded me of one other; Mohammad Ashraful's incandescent 158 not out in Chittagong a few years ago. Since then Ashraful has stayed where he was with only an occasional allowance to his special ability. Luckily for Tamim, he is coming through at a time when Bangladesh are seeing a little more success and hopefully that will make him, and others around him, a little more positive.

In time to come Mahmudullah will move up the order. His offbreaks are unlikely to be his best friends for long and, like Sri Lanka's Thilan Samaraweera, he might become a batting allrounder and eventually, a batsman. Indeed that is where he might serve Bangladesh better because they need someone a little more reliable in the top four.

Subcontinental weakness
For all these green shoots, though, Bangladesh lost rather easily. And I'm sure their coach will point out the real reasons. They, like almost everyone in our part of the world, don't seem too keen to do the simple things well. Better catching in the first Test might have embarrassed India a little more and a no-ball less might have made the second Test a little more interesting. But this problem is not theirs alone. Pakistan's fielding too has been woeful and while India catch well at most times, their out-cricket still gives you the impression it is a generation behind time.

It is an area the Asian countries have rarely been inclined to excel at. It could be that we are not natural athletes but increasingly I think it is because our young men play no sport other than cricket. Far too early in life (I met someone recently who asked what his six-year old should do to become a top cricketer!), they commit to cricket and, that inevitably means, to batting and bowling. And so our fast bowlers are not natural sprinters, our fielders don't have great throwing arms and nobody takes enough catches in practice. Inevitably, then, the Asian teams have to play 10% better to win a match.

India's batting future
India seem to have a couple of slots opening up in the middle order and that may not be such a bad thing. The first slot is the easiest to fill. If Rahul Dravid is not ready, Murali Vijay can bat at No. 3 but it is at Nos. 5 and 6 that an interesting debate seems forthcoming. There is little doubt that the first slot should go to S Badrinath. I know there is much to be said in favour of giving in-form batsmen a go but Badrinath has done everything in Indian cricket except play for India. If the selectors want to look elsewhere they need look no further than Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara.

The greater fear though is with the bowling. Ishant Sharma took wickets but looked well short of top form in Bangladesh, Sreesanth is injured, RP Singh hasn't demanded the world look at him, neither has Irfan Pathan with the ball and Munaf Patel, I'm told, is around somewhere. It leads to a rather scary conclusion. If Zaheer Khan breaks down, India might just be the side to queue up to bat against.

Harsha Bhogle is a commentator, television presenter and writer

Source: http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/446078.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The comment of the year is the one bolded and underlined. Also add the name of pathetic, irresponsible, arrogant and shameless Lotus Kamal with that.

So it is not only we the BC members. Whole cricketing world is pointing fingers to those two jokers!

Last edited by Reaz; January 29, 2010 at 06:51 PM..
Old January 30, 2010, 01:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/446078.html

My Favorite 3rd Fav TV commentator behind Lloyd and Holding
Excellent dig and thank you for it! Harsha is also one of my favorites after Holding, Ian Chappell and Lloyd in that order.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old January 30, 2010, 08:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Like everyone else, I also rate Harsha Bhogle and he'd be in my commentary dream team.

Fairly complimentary article, which is nice of him. I'd have been less charitable to be honest.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
and a no-ball less might have made the second Test a little more interesting.
What is he referring to ?
Old January 30, 2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
What is he referring to ?
The one that had Tendulkar caught but turned out to be a no ball?
Old January 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Yes. A solid batsman at no.3 is the most urgent matter of all.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
The one that had Tendulkar caught but turned out to be a no ball?
It was Dravid. Remember he was walking off, and then came back.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Thanks
Old January 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

This is a good article. BD are on the verge of becoming a big team, and anyone denying that would be plain ignorant. I have said this earlier, all we needed were another top class batsman and a genuine fast bowler. The growth of Rubel/Shafiul/Rajib might have eradicated the latter problem, but we still need a top quality batsman.
Just imagine us having a batsman who will give us at least 35 runs every game, sometimes more. That would certainly change a whole lot.
Old January 31, 2010, 01:42 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
hehe.. i wonder if LUTTA knows what CI is .. or our sports minister for that matter..
Old January 31, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Thoroughly agree with the comment that we don't play any other sports in sub-continent which gives us tunnel vision which shows we don't know how to enjoy our games and that we should play sports for sports sake. The moment players bring their personal concerns like: Lotta, how to pay rent, securing position for next match...and all that bullcrap in their game they start imploding. They should learn to be in the Now and savor each moment realizing they are part of history and life(cricket) is to be created not looked upon as a chore.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

^^ Gopal bhai, you know better than that, life's anxiety is indeed mixed with sport and daily chores and the politics (bad or good) and once ailing father, wife or paying the rent or if you will make the cut the next match or not is very much part of every living moment. You can't breathe disconnecting with those everyday mundane and often cruel facts. Especially in a society and land like Bangladesh, Pakistan, it is very much part of the daily worries that will mix with one's sport/athletic performance. That's where the fact that unless and untill we have a stable, organized, better educated, less corrupt society, system and most importantly a better enlightened conscience is at place healthy growth in sport will not come, only random sparks here and there.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell2k7
ok i didnt read what it says but yea Harsha is actually a good commentator.

Harsha is my favourite commentator. Couple years ago, he won an award as the best commentator, He does not beat down on players, see their positive sides all the time.