facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 29, 2010, 11:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Computer Problem, Help!

Ok guys I need your help. A couple of days ago, while installing a software, I just realized that my laptop has stopped registering my cd drive. I mean, when I go to My Computer, the cd/dvd drive doesn't even exist there. I can't even eject the dvd inside the laptop, i had to get one of those pins and then have it ejected. The dvd itself runs fine (i can hear it humming and the lights are blinking) but my laptop has simply refused to regsiter the cd dive. it's as if it doesn't exist!

So what seems to be the problem? After extensive googling, I was told that I might have to re-install windows vista again, but i really dont want to since i have a crap load of stuff in my hard drive that I would have to transfer. The alternate is to reinstall the dvd driver but I can't seem to locate it anywhere (my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875).

So what the heck am I supposed to do? Has this happened to anyone before?If so, how did you guys resolve it?

Old January 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by samircreep
Ok guys I need your help. A couple of days ago, while installing a software, I just realized that my laptop has stopped registering my cd drive. I mean, when I go to My Computer, the cd/dvd drive doesn't even exist there. I can't even eject the dvd inside the laptop, i had to get one of those pins and then have it ejected. The dvd itself runs fine (i can hear it humming and the lights are blinking) but my laptop has simply refused to regsiter the cd dive. it's as if it doesn't exist!

So what seems to be the problem? After extensive googling, I was told that I might have to re-install windows vista again, but i really dont want to since i have a crap load of stuff in my hard drive that I would have to transfer. The alternate is to reinstall the dvd driver but I can't seem to locate it anywhere (my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875).

So what the heck am I supposed to do? Has this happened to anyone before?If so, how did you guys resolve it?
Probable cause : Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
You need to use the command line here to use the registry edit function.

1. Click Start Start button
, and then click All Programs.
2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
3. Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
11. Exit Registry Editor.
12. Restart the computer.

Let me know how it went . If it does not work , I will give you another solution. Good luck !

Last edited by view360; January 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM..
Old January 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
Club Cricketer

Yup, remove the upper, lower filters and reboot like suggested above.
Old January 29, 2010, 11:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

View360 it worked! Thank you so much! you're awesome!
Old January 30, 2010, 10:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Looks like the right approach - only one question, is that registry key fixed for all computers, afaik regedit generates Key ID based on availability right?
Old January 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Looks like the right approach - only one question, is that registry key fixed for all computers, afaik regedit generates Key ID based on availability right?

That is correct and it is also one of the key weaknesses of M$ Window$ . I do not use Window$ for quite a while now and opted for Linux instead. Linux is highly stable , virus free and of course free of charge . The system architecture of Linux is also more logical than Window$. You may however opt for Mac if you want to spend money which is also a good option but I prefer Linux as it is free and open source.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

guys, I get internet explorer pop up in my laptop for no reason. It keeps on popping. And it gives some weird text like wxxxbbbcddd33 etc etc.

Before I used to get pop up with ads to buy some spyware.. then I googled and removed it. Since then I get these pop ups with text but no ads. It is very annoying and is slowing my laptop.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:18 PM
Banned for 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
guys, I get internet explorer pop up in my laptop for no reason. It keeps on popping. And it gives some weird text like wxxxbbbcddd33 etc etc.

Before I used to get pop up with ads to buy some spyware.. then I googled and removed it. Since then I get these pop ups with text but no ads. It is very annoying and is slowing my laptop.
I am not an expert, but I think you got some serious virus in your computer. Must be those gay sites you been visiting. On a serious note, I think you should just do a System Recovery and know that you are bound to get all your files deleted unless you have them in a partitioned drive or something. Take my advice with a grain of salt, cuz as I said I am not an expert.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim IK/Nasir Hossain

Quote:

stop using IE use firefox and install the ad-don Adblock plus and subscribe to easy list for no ads no popups!!! and get some kind of software get rid of the adwares.
Old January 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
Cricket Sage

I would like to know if this particular pop-up issue can be remedied using free version of MalwareBytes.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button
Old January 30, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by view360
That is correct and it is also one of the key weaknesses of M$ Window$ . I do not use Window$ for quite a while now and opted for Linux instead. Linux is highly stable , virus free and of course free of charge . The system architecture of Linux is also more logical than Window$. You may however opt for Mac if you want to spend money which is also a good option but I prefer Linux as it is free and open source.
I used all kinds of OS all my life, had my share of good and bad in terms of user friendliness. But I was just curious how you gave the exact key ID for his issue.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

You have unfortunately installed some backdoor Trojans which need to be removed.

Download Microsoft Security Essentials which is free to download . Remove all previously installed anti virus and anti malware apps.
Now , you can update the Microsoft security essentials and run the full scan. This will clean up the Trojans.

Never run windows as administrator unless it is absolutely necessary. Create an user account with limited privilege that will prevent it from installing any software.
Old January 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I would like to know if this particular pop-up issue can be remedied using free version of MalwareBytes.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button
It failed to remove malwares in my lab which I use for testing. I do not recommend using this software. Try using Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and very effective.
Old January 31, 2010, 03:35 PM
Banned for 2 weeks

good going view360...now YOU do deserve a custom title. :P
Old January 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by view360
It failed to remove malwares in my lab which I use for testing. I do not recommend using this software. Try using Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and very effective.
I thought you hate Windows!
Old February 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I thought you hate Windows!
You are right about that ! I do my best not using MS products . However, I also believe in " ভেংগেছো কলশি কানা ,তাই বলে কি প্রেম নেবনা ? "