facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Arrow DJ's Random Thoughts

- BD are on the verge of becoming a big team, and anyone denying that would be plain ignorant. (courtesy deshibideshi)

- Ashraful is still vital to BD batting lineup. He is still better than the league of Kayes, Raqibul etc.

- BD is one good spinner short. Mahmadullah is no spinner and must play no more as a bolwer than Yuvraj or Sehwag.

- BD is one Rahul Dravid (or poor man's Rahul Dravid) short. Need a stable batsman at no. 3, even if he contributes only 30-35 runs regularly. Those 30-35 runs must use atleast 100 deliveries.

- BD needs to learn to grind. Playing too many shots not only keeps bolwers interested but also yields fast runs that gives too much time to the opposition to plan their strategy.

- If you are going to be scoring fast, make sure you score in excess of 400. A speedy 250-300 is far less useful than a slow score of equal magnitude.

- The pace trio of Safiul, Rubel and Rajib needs to be persisted with for a while. Give them extended run before playing musical chair. Sometimes, fast-bowling is about hunting in pairs, or as in this case, trios.

- Sakib is far-better batsman than his shots might suggest. When on fields, he should focus entirely on cricket without worrying about points to prove. When he does that, all points will be proved automatically.

- Tamim tried to play aggressively, then solidly, then aggressively and so on. He will have to balance aggression with a level of solidity (not necessarily Dravidesque) at all times instead of trying to to both in patches.

- BD has atleast 4 decent batsman and atleast 2 decent bowlers. Teams have won Test matches with that much or even less.

- BD fans should stop over-analysing Sakib's comment (and also Sehwag's comments).

- Sakib should be persisted as the captain for next couple of years, Mashrafe's fitness not withstanding.

- Ashrafuful should get married quick. Marriage can have a calming effect (The Indian "Belan" and "Jhhadu" comes to my mind!) and that is something that Ashraful can use right now. Besides, his marriage stocks may slump if he fails anymore.

- The Korean company (Daewoo?? ) needs to be sued for early cracks on the Jamuna bridge. Not related to cricket, but i feel strongly about this. This is such a shame, it is sickening. I feel my stomach churn.

Old January 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
- BD are on the verge of becoming a big team, and anyone denying that would be plain ignorant. (courtesy deshibideshi)

- Ashraful is still vital to BD batting lineup. He is still better than the league of Kayes, Raqibul etc.

- BD is one good spinner short. Mahmadullah is no spinner and must play no more as a bolwer than Yuvraj or Sehwag.

- BD is one Rahul Dravid (or poor man's Rahul Dravid) short. Need a stable batsman at no. 3, even if he contributes only 30-35 runs regularly. Those 30-35 runs must use atleast 100 deliveries.

- BD needs to learn to grind. Playing too many shots not only keeps bolwers interested but also yields fast runs that gives too much time to the opposition to plan their strategy.

- If you are going to be scoring fast, make sure you score in excess of 400. A speedy 250-300 is far less useful than a slow score of equal magnitude.

- The pace trio of Safiul, Rubel and Rajib needs to be persisted with for a while. Give them extended run before playing musical chair. Sometimes, fast-bowling is about hunting in pairs, or as in this case, trios.

- Sakib is far-better batsman than his shots might suggest. When on fields, he should focus entirely on cricket without worrying about points to prove. When he does that, all points will be proved automatically.

- Tamim tried to play aggressively, then solidly, then aggressively and so on. He will have to balance aggression with a level of solidity (not necessarily Dravidesque) at all times instead of trying to to both in patches.

- BD has atleast 4 decent batsman and atleast 2 decent bowlers. Teams have won Test matches with that much or even less.

- BD fans should stop over-analysing Sakib's comment (and also Sehwag's comments).

- Sakib should be persisted as the captain for next couple of years, Mashrafe's fitness not withstanding.

- Ashrafuful should get married quick. Marriage can have a calming effect (The Indian "Belan" and "Jhhadu" comes to my mind!) and that is something that Ashraful can use right now. Besides, his marriage stocks may slump if he fails anymore.

- The Korean company (Daewoo?? ) needs to be sued for early cracks on the Jamuna bridge. Not related to cricket, but i feel strongly about this. This is such a shame, it is sickening. I feel my stomach churn.
Old January 31, 2010, 05:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Interesting.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Good points.
Just don't think that Sakib thinks so much about his points.
And we enjoyed Tamim's aggression during his 151 but it should make us worry about seeing him
doing like this in future & showing his back very early.
Specially like yr thght about the pace TRIO.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Good stuff these[special thanks for the #1 point ]
There are some serious issues BD has to consider, Tamim's 151 looked pretty, but what if one of his shots went to hands when he was on 7? Instead of praise he would get the usual "Bangladeshi batsmen play too many shots"
A right blend of attack and defense is a must, Ashraful has a pre-meditates every shot he will play. Not the exact shot, but he decides whether he will attack or defend.While in defend mode, he will give maiden overs to 6 mediocre deliveries. And that is just an example, an almost similar case stands for every BD batter.
On bowling, all you need to ruin your over is one bad ball, 5 dot balls followed by one 4 or a 6, spoils all the hard work. Bowlers must try to bowl 6 good deliveries in an over.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

BD is far from being able to draw a test match...for that we have to bat at least 250 overs, and we're not there yet. besides, nowadays draws only occur on pitches with nothing for the bowler.

i'd rather play and lsoe a closely fought match than draw, simply because i don't think we can draw. we are more likely to win a test than draw one. of course results wise a draw is better. but sometimes u could be thouroughly outplayed and draw, and play much closer cricket and lose!

so i'll take a fast 300 score anyday. of course i prefer a slower mroe classic 350, but i won't mind 300 all out in 80 overs if we can keep the opposition to 350 or so.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 31, 2010, 07:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I totally agree with each and every point made by dear Shahastra Dulabhai! I mean to the T.
And I also agree with the Korean Company's faulty work and BD should go after them hard!!! This is sick!!! If not dealt with right now, next thing you will see is a huge disaster with a big human lives being lost!!!

I also agree with Al-Furqaan bhai on BD's inability to draw a Test match and we are indeed far, far away from it, and as AF said, I also agree that BD has a better chance to win a Test match than drawing!
Old January 31, 2010, 08:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

- what do you mean by big team? they're close to being level with the lower teams of the big 8 (NZ, WI) but they can't be considered on par until they get those regular wins and start getting series wins.

- i don't think ash is vital anymore to the line-up, if it was ash of a few years ago then yeah he'd be a good pick but he's nowhere near the player he was even if he is a more consistent one-day player nowadays. at this point ash, aftab and alok are all interchangable and the latter 2 might even be better than the first one (at least in terms of technique and looking decent at an international crease which ash no longer looks like).

- we are a spinner short, riyad and naeem can get away with bowling a bit in one-dayers, but in tests they should be bastmen who bowl part time. shuvo or saqlain should be being groomed, at this point.

- #3 doesn't have to be a rahul dravid, BD just needs someone who can play to the situation and stay at the crease and score some runs with some sort of decent consistency. unfortunately there is no one at current ready to take on the job, probably should continue with junaid unless you want to go back to habibul.

- yeah BD players defintiely need to learn how to grind, there were some good signs in tamim/junaid partnership in the 2nd test, at one stage they were just blocking out the spinners and not caring about scoring which is what BD needs to do more often to get through sessions.

- bowling is always about hunting in packs, especially with pacers. this trio should be given a good go but selectors, management and coaching staff should still be trying to develop the back-ups. when BD start to play more cricket (especially tests) they might need to start using a rotation policy so the back-ups need to be ready. plus if injury strikes you want a good replacement.

- shakib is a better batsman than his test record suggests, but he's got to pull back his aggressive mindset or he'll continue to struggle.

- doesn't really matter that BD have some decent batsmen, if they don't bat them up the order (instead of at 7/8) then BD will still struggle.

- i'm not sure about shakib as captain, he does seem to be batting more aggressively since getting the captaincy and that's the reason he's been less successful as a test batsman. if giving mash the captaincy will help shakib develop and not do anythign negative to the teams chacnes then i wouldn't be against giving mash the captaincy for a little while. shakib is a decent captain though so i don't mind him holding the position.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I made a mistake in my earlier post ragarding agreeing with every point the Shahastra bhai made, after reading Gowza bro's points, I must say and add to my earlier comment that I don't consider Mohammad Ashraful as a vital member in the Bangladesh line-up at all, he is less than vital. But I agree with the rest.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

summarising, BD should continue like this, and be a little less agressive, keep working hard, not change a lot of things, try aftab ahmad at no.3 and if it dosn't work, try alok kapali at no.8, and move mahmudullah at no.3
Old January 31, 2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
- what do you mean by big team? they're close to being level with the lower teams of the big 8 (NZ, WI) but they can't be considered on par until they get those regular wins and start getting series wins.
Yep. We still have a l-o-n-g way to go to become a semi-big boy.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:08 PM
Cricket Legend

@Gowza,
I don't think Ash is vital, but an important part of the team. If you want to kick Ash out of the team, you will have to kick Imrul/Raqib first[past record/how many chances they got are irrelevant. It's the current form that counts.]
But he may not be important in future, simply because Ash is unlikely to grow anymore, where Raqib/Imrul both can grow and become better players.

And by Big team, DJ probably meant a team which will be likely to yield a 3-2, 2-3 result versus any team.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
-
- i'm not sure about shakib as captain, he does seem to be batting more aggressively since getting the captaincy and that's the reason he's been less successful as a test batsman. if giving mash the captaincy will help shakib develop and not do anythign negative to the teams chacnes then i wouldn't be against giving mash the captaincy for a little while. shakib is a decent captain though so i don't mind him holding the position.
This is true. But the question is what if Mashrafe starts to bowl more aggressively after getting the captaincy. This aggressiveness in our cricket culture needs to be eradicated. So, I support the suggestion of JS to make rotational captaincy, in that, whoever performs so poorly should be the captain for six months or so on. In this way, less aggressive players will become more aggressive.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
@Gowza,
I don't think Ash is vital, but an important part of the team. If you want to kick Ash out of the team, you will have to kick Imrul/Raqib first[past record/how many chances they got are irrelevant. It's the current form that counts.]
But he may not be important in future, simply because Ash is unlikely to grow anymore, where Raqib/Imrul both can grow and become better players.

And by Big team, DJ probably meant a team which will be likely to yield a 3-2, 2-3 result versus any team.
no doubt imrul and raqibul in tests aren't doing their job, but how many matches a player has played should count, it's not purely done on form, lots of things come into play when it comes to selection. ashraful has been getting worse over the last couple of years, he may have better ODI results but he's looking much worse technically, his coordination doesn't seem to be as good as it use to be, he's just not as good as he was and what he was wasn't really a good player anyway (had the makings of a good player but he wasn't consistent enough to be called a good player).

ash has had 10 years experience and many many matches, imrul has played international cricket for what? about 6 months? and he's been in and out of the team. raqibul i agree with dropping in tests but the truth is he's still not had that many chances, at least not compared to ashraful. it's not right to compare a player of 10 years experience to players who've been there for a couple of years or even less in imrul's case. if anything the ones who have played less should get more benefit of the doubt than the more experienced in this case because the more experienced has basically proven he isn't good enough at this level over a much longer period of time (might have the potential but he's not good enough yet and we've wasted 10 years on him, give others ago).
Old February 1, 2010, 12:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Some of the fans still believes in Ash magic! He should be dropped or go down in lower order. Mushy should come in his place.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 1, 2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

nice article Dj

i think one down solution should be-- either rokibul or aftab (he can play accoding to situation)

ashraful should bat lower order if he is in the team
Old February 1, 2010, 05:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
-
Old February 1, 2010, 08:38 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Agree to all of them!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Samsung Highlight)

Last edited by Rubu; February 1, 2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Gotta change that "?" to my new cell phone ;)
Old February 1, 2010, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
no doubt imrul and raqibul in tests aren't doing their job, but how many matches a player has played should count, it's not purely done on form, lots of things come into play when it comes to selection. ashraful has been getting worse over the last couple of years, he may have better ODI results but he's looking much worse technically, his coordination doesn't seem to be as good as it use to be, he's just not as good as he was and what he was wasn't really a good player anyway (had the makings of a good player but he wasn't consistent enough to be called a good player).

ash has had 10 years experience and many many matches, imrul has played international cricket for what? about 6 months? and he's been in and out of the team. raqibul i agree with dropping in tests but the truth is he's still not had that many chances, at least not compared to ashraful. it's not right to compare a player of 10 years experience to players who've been there for a couple of years or even less in imrul's case. if anything the ones who have played less should get more benefit of the doubt than the more experienced in this case because the more experienced has basically proven he isn't good enough at this level over a much longer period of time (might have the potential but he's not good enough yet and we've wasted 10 years on him, give others ago).
Ash's previous two years weren't anywhere near satisfactory. But his technique deteriorated, I disagree.
His back lift nowadays is much straighter than it used to be. Shorter back lift also gives him that extra fraction of a second to play the correct shot. His head is steadier now compared to 2004-5. But all these minor improvements don't mean much unless his bat starts talking.
Ash is trying to change his game a fair lot[i think he should have done all technical/mental fixing outside the national team], also he takes way too much pressure on himself. These might be the reasons of his failure, but I get your point, this is the best Ash will get[1 magical 100 every 10 innings, 3 starts, and 6 nothings].
But at this moment, Imrul/Raqib are both lagging behind Ash, past experience/records are less important than current form. Past records won't win you the next game. If I am asked to choose between a player who will give me 10 runs and a player who will give me 20 runs, I would chose the latter.
Old February 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Kothayee Cricket stadium ar kothayee Jamuna bridge....D.J. ekdom Faltu type-er.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
BD is far from being able to draw a test match...for that we have to bat at least 250 overs, and we're not there yet. besides, nowadays draws only occur on pitches with nothing for the bowler.

i'd rather play and lsoe a closely fought match than draw, simply because i don't think we can draw. we are more likely to win a test than draw one. of course results wise a draw is better. but sometimes u could be thouroughly outplayed and draw, and play much closer cricket and lose!

so i'll take a fast 300 score anyday. of course i prefer a slower mroe classic 350, but i won't mind 300 all out in 80 overs if we can keep the opposition to 350 or so.
This is the same mental trap our players fall prey to. A triuamphiant sessions gives the feel of superiority that is construed as the ability to do well straight over 4 days or more.

As long as we lose more sessions than we win, we will keep on losing tests. The last Mirpur test was a fine example. What good was Tamim's swasbucking innings worth at the end? Nothing mush really, unless you are a statictician like AF.

Let's give our team 2020s and ODI for those whirlwind eye candys you crave so much, and lets leave the Tests for opportunities to prove that we are getting the basics right.