facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Shakib vs Shane
Shakib Al Hasan 28 49.12%
Shane Watson 24 42.11%
They are more or less the same 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default Shane Watson or Shakib Al Hasan?(ODI)

Both are good players but who is better? I'd say Shane, the dude can bowl at 140K and has batting avg of like 40 something.

Old February 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Shane is better but I do not like comparison.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
Cricket Guru

In last two years, in ODIs against G7 -

Watson scored 1052 runs @ average 50.09, took 30 wickets @ average 22.30 (statsguru).

Shakib scored 677 runs @average 29.43, took 26 wickets @ average 37.03 (statsguru).

* In the time period both played 25 ODIs against selected oppositions.

So, statistically, verdict clearly goes in favor of Watson to be a better ODI allrounder.

However, it's safe to say Shakib is a much better Test bowler while Watson is a much better Test batsman.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Watson is better in odi and definitly better batsman shakib is better in test

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 11, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen

So, statistically, verdict clearly goes in favor of Watson to be a better ODI allrounder....
Statistics doesn't tell you the whole picture at times. Switch them around. You will see who performs better. With the bowling support of Johnson and others Shakib would post numbers that would rival Warne's prime numbers even. Let alone Watson's averages and wickets.

In the same token, Watson would sit in the bench had he played for BD most of the time because the captains would use him to the end.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Shak is only 22 and watson 29 so shakib has more potential wheras watson is in the peak of his career since 2 years

Old February 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
Cricket Savant

G8 is considered by ICC. Not only that even inside G8 ranking is considered. So whoever rates Watson ahead of Shakib go visit ICC ranking for ODIs. Batting, bowling and alrounder. Plus Shakib is a better fielder and has the responsibility of captaining a side. Not enjoy his cricket like Watson does under Ponting.

Watson is part of the team. Shakib is the team.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cricket Guru

T_E, I agree that Shakib does not get enough support as a bowler, but as a batsman there is no excuse for how recklessly he gives away his wicket most of the time.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
... but as a batsman there is no excuse for how recklessly he gives away his wicket most of the time.
he is reckless because his predesesors didn't teach him anything. He is learning on fly. Those fools did their thing and wasn't punished. Coaches, mentors, other players ask them to play their natural game. improvise and play with an instinct. hit the bad ball etc. How many times do you hear the people surrounding the cricket team ask them to play their natural game with minimum risk? May be once or twice I have heard it from Siddons but that is about it. At the age of 22 How reckless was Watson?
+++
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have to.

Shakib is a man Army. He has the confidence in him to take on the whole world. He just don't have the guidance surrounding him. That video guy is worth of crap if you ask me. He should be leading the team with strategies. He is one who should let players know how they should play and why they should play every ball. Theirs' and opponents strength and weakness analysis should be his responsibility to begin with.

Ingram: No feet movement at all before he touches the ball. Very good at cut shots. Commentators have already figured out how Australia would play him. Straight with heavy on leg side. he is done. We on the other hand played him like McCullam with balls at off and away. Playing to his strong side. He got settled and creamed some mighty blow through point and gully.
Guptil: This chap is strong in the V and an excellent runner between the wickets. Field placing was poor. Shafiul ten yards in the 30 why? Ash backing off?

Shakib's batting issues (weaknesses): He pulls to long leg and gets out. That is his favorite way of getting out. Even though he is great at his off. Cover drives are jaw dropping.

Ash's slip catching practice batik is still there.

Video proof makes sure the players understand what they are up against. Their own demons and how to tackle them. The first job is to provide all the resources in a correct way. Then and only then these players can correct their mistakes.

We always talk about when will they learn or why why why? We never provide them with concrete evidence.

In US most of the game plans are done in the video room. Any professional team sports. Even most of the ameture games. It provies info on the fields, its nature, weather, ball condition, players weakness and strenghts and how to tackle them and force them in to mistakes.

As I mentioned several times our "video/stat guy" is the first Key to all success at this level.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Sakib has to perform very well in the coming months to maintain his No1 All rounder status, or else Shane Watson might pass him, but Sakib is still way ahead.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

both have different roles in the team so I'm not sure a comparison is fair.

Both have different roles in both the batting and bowling line up.

If I'm building a team and I needed a spinner in the team, I'd pick Shakib and if I needed an 'all rounder' I'd pick Shane so I guess Shane gets the nod.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Cricket Guru

T_E, ok I admit Shakib has all kind of excuses to perform poorly. Yes, you can waste time pondering how capable Watson was at age off 22, or how he would perform playing for Bangladesh. But if I am selecting a world ODI XI at this point, Watson would be hands down my first choice as the allrounder.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Shak is only 22 and watson 29 so shakib has more potential wheras watson is in the peak of his career since 2 years

Good point here.
we have to remember that we are comparing 2 allrounders from no°1 & n°9 team.
Watson bats with players like Hussey,Katich,Clarke,Ponting & many more.
So it's quite obvious that he learns a lot from them & doesn't have much pressure.
Even when he bowls he gets some fine bowling partners.
And we know what support Sakib gets from his team mates,he is also the captain.
It's quite difficult to compare these 2 but considering what I mentioned above I will keep
Sakib ahead.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

As a batsman Watson would surpass Shakib, but as a bowler Shakib clearly knocks the stuffing out of bowler Watson. To say who is the better all rounder is a tough call, but in terms of value added to the team, Shakib is light years ahead of Shane of anyone else.
remember, Watson is 29 and is still a junior member of the team, where Shakib at 22 is bearing the pressure of 150 million people.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Watson who?
Old February 11, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Watson who?
Eggjactly. Post of the day!
Old February 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Watson - better by far.

Watson is a way better batsman than Sakib. He is opening for Australia in both forms of the game. That itself speaks his ability as a batsman.

Bowling-wise, not much difference. But the current performance and statistics speaks for Watson. As Eshen pointed out the bowling averages, 22 vs 37. So, you have to give it to Watson.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
he is reckless because his predesesors didn't teach him anything...................... At the age of 22 How reckless was Watson?........
Yes, we can point out why Sakib is not better at the moment. There are lots of argument to support it. Also on other side, there is arguments to support Watson also, lets not go there.

The point here is, who is better all-rounder at the moment? Who is performing better?

Think neutrally, if anyone picks a World XI and needs an all-rounder, Watson would be picked ahead of Sakib. It one requires a spin-bowling all-rounder, Vettori would be picked.

Sakib is up there, but still has not performed to that level to outperform these guys at the moment. He has a long way to go and age/time is everything with Sakib.
Old February 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell2k7
Both are good players but who is better? I'd say Shane, the dude can bowl at 140K and has batting avg of like 40 something.
I don't want to disuss about Shane Wa(rne)tson...!
Old February 11, 2010, 10:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
In last two years, in ODIs against G7 -

Watson scored 1052 runs @ average 50.09, took 30 wickets @ average 22.30 (statsguru).

Shakib scored 677 runs @average 29.43, took 26 wickets @ average 37.03 (statsguru).

So, statistically, verdict clearly goes in favor of Watson to be a better ODI allrounder.

However, it's safe to say Shakib is a much better Test bowler while Watson is a much better Test batsman.
Shane came through a much tougher system
Old February 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Results matter most, that is why we put Tamim's century against Zim ahead of Tendy's (see International cricket). Watson was the sole architect for Aussies' Champions Trophy.
Old February 11, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Statistics doesn't tell you the whole picture at times. Switch them around. You will see who performs better. With the bowling support of Johnson and others Shakib would post numbers that would rival Warne's prime numbers even. Let alone Watson's averages and wickets.

In the same token, Watson would sit in the bench had he played for BD most of the time because the captains would use him to the end.
Plus, Tigers drop catches like Gulto miya....
Old February 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

If a team has good pacers, the choice is Shakib, since he is more a prime spinner and a lower middle order batsman.

On the other hand, If a team needs a top order bat and a fourth pacer, Watson's clear choice.

Their role is very different. Shakib is to us what (Ponting + Johnson) is to aussies. Captain, best bat and best arm.
Old February 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Shakib al hasan !
Old February 12, 2010, 10:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

T_E, how do you know the Video guy ( Nasu Bhai?) doesn't do his job? Though as stereotype, Bangalis always get complacent once their job is secure...maybe get some video analyst from US college baseball teams..

There's no excuse for Sakib to bat as irresponsively as he is currently. I believe he's trying to get out of a rut he feels he's having by smashing the ball, instead of taking his time. He's crap compared to Watson, or even Tamim in batting on current forms. His batting was never too classical anyways.

In bowling, I'd have to say that Watson guy doesn't have anything close to the magnitude of affect his performance has on the team compared to Sakib. Sakib's the No.1 bowler. Watson's prob not much better than Oram.

I wouldn't be jumping up and down about the No.1 all-rounder or No.4 test ranking for long Sakib. Its about winning games. You are however ten times as important to us as Watson is to the Aussies. Please fix your approach in batting. If you need to bat with carefree attitude, bat at No.7 or No.8 . the team needs you to lead by example. At Vettori and Watson's age, you'd prob be a legend. But for now, just enjoy your cricket.

P.S: I dislike Watson to the extreme, mainly due to his unsporting behaviour that I've noticed many times. As a World XI all-rounder, I'd pick Dan Vettori first. Sakib can spin, but question right now is can he bat? Or has his flaws been found out?